I'm a Mac user and I'm going to be switching over to a smartphone within the next month, but I wasn't sure what Blackberry, or any other smartphone there is that syncs best with a Mac computer.

Can you give me any advice on what device to get?

Thanks
    02-19-10 05:38 PM
    Get an iPhone. If you want a BB, they all use the same Mac software and it's not very well integrated.
    02-19-10 06:03 PM
    Yea if you want a 100% compatibility then get an iPhone but either way you can still do with a blackberry.
    02-19-10 06:17 PM
    The best thing to do is to stop plugging you Blackberry in to that crap computer. Get a pc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-10 06:23 PM
    The best thing to do is to stop plugging you Blackberry in to that crap computer. Get a pc.

but he hasnt got a blackberry yet...
    02-19-10 06:26 PM
    I'm sure that your mac is a great computer, but if I didn't have a pc, I wouldn't buy a blackberry. Having said that, before I went without a blackberry, I would buy a cheap pc, exclusively for my bb. You can probably buy a used pc on ebay/craigslist/garage sale for $50. It can be an extremely low end machine with a tiny hard drive and not much ram.
    02-19-10 06:31 PM
    I'm a Mac user and I'm going to be switching over to a smartphone within the next month, but I wasn't sure what Blackberry, or any other smartphone there is that syncs best with a Mac computer.

Can you give me any advice on what device to get?

Thanks
    All BlackBerries are a bit difficult to sync with a Mac--there's the official desktop version for Mac, that you can search for on BlackBerry's website, but it doesn't offer things that the Windows version does--like Device Switch Wizard. The phone that syncs best with Mac is, of course, the iPhone.
    02-19-10 06:32 PM

Yes, because god forbid we can have one thread with a bash Apple post.

If I had the cash, I'd have a Mac. Of course, around here that's like saying you're an evolutionist at a christian right meeting.
    02-19-10 08:08 PM
    All BlackBerries are a bit difficult to sync with a Mac--there's the official desktop version for Mac, that you can search for on BlackBerry's website, but it doesn't offer things that the Windows version does--like Device Switch Wizard. The phone that syncs best with Mac is, of course, the iPhone.

This isn't true anymore exactly, while there is no device switch wizard, you can still backup your device and lets say you have a 9550 and need a replacement 9550 or even when I went from my 9530 to my 9550, both had OS 5.0 I just restored contacts and any extras I could pick and choose from and it all went in smoothly and without a hitch.

BB has made big strides in DM for Mac
    02-19-10 08:14 PM
    I use a mac and blackberry, you just have to occasionally switch into windows (bootcamp) to upload beta os versions. Tethering, usb transfers, sharing of contacts/calendars, everything works for me really well in mac.

Personally I don't think they're THAT incompatible, just not as much as a pc..
    02-19-10 08:33 PM
    one thing rim hasn't done yet is making macs compatible with blackberry o.s upgrades. i have a mac, and can't upgrade my berry's o.s with desktop manager for mac straight up. now that is very disappointing. if they released a desktop manager for macs, then berry os upgrades should be a breeze like on any other pcs, labtops, etc. the only way mac users can upgrade their os is via windows virtual machine. this sucks big time imo.
    so like others have already stated, i would also get an iphone, since berry os upgrades are not compatible with mac.
    02-19-10 08:36 PM
    one thing rim hasn't done yet is making macs compatible with blackberry o.s upgrades. i have a mac, and can't upgrade my berry's o.s with desktop manager for mac straight up. now that is very disappointing. if they released a desktop manager for macs, then berry os upgrades should be a breeze like on any other pcs, labtops, etc. the only way mac users can upgrade their os is via windows virtual machine. this sucks big time imo.
    so like others have already stated, i would also get an iphone, since berry os upgrades are not compatible with mac.

The new DM 5.0 will install OS with Mac, the only phone I had issues doing this with tho was the Storm1, I upgraded OS in my friends Curve (He was still running 4.2 or 4.3 I believe Oct last year) and put the new BBM 5.0 in it without a hitch so this isn't necessary true either I'm afraid
    02-19-10 08:52 PM
    Mac � iphone = LOVE. Mac � BlackBerry = Hate.

02-19-10 09:08 PM
    Mac is 100% compatible with OS upgrades. I just updated to 5.0.0.484 a week or so ago through Mac DM.

Now if you're talking about installing software you're not supposed to be installing in the first place, like leaked os builds or hybrids, then yes there is a compatibility issue. But if you're that advanced in your BB skills, you should also be advanced enough to install Windows on your Mac to make it happen
    02-19-10 11:24 PM
    Mac is 100% compatible with OS upgrades. I just updated to 5.0.0.484 a week or so ago through Mac DM.

Now if you're talking about installing software you're not supposed to be installing in the first place, like leaked os builds or hybrids, then yes there is a compatibility issue. But if you're that advanced in your BB skills, you should also be advanced enough to install Windows on your Mac to make it happen
    awesome to hear that it is compatible. now i should have no issues with my mac and berry. and to the op, berry is now an option too if you like.
    02-19-10 11:40 PM
    Using a Mac laptop with my Tour and no problems at all. Upgraded the OS also.
    02-20-10 10:58 AM

Original. Do you and Steve Ballmer use two or one straw when sharing the same milkshake?

Last edited by avt123; 02-20-10 at 12:30 PM.
    02-20-10 12:26 PM

There's always one.

02-20-10 02:20 PM
    All blackberry will work the same way with your mac, hard to sync etc... For 100% compatibility buy a iphone... but it's only a toy...

My friend have my old Storm with his macbook and he is pretty happy with it.
    02-20-10 02:28 PM
    without sounding as stupid as I feel between loving my storm and my mac but not together -- if I have the micro soft software for the mac on my computer then I shouldn't have any problem syncing the two? I've avoided all contact between the two devices until now.
    06-24-10 02:26 PM
    Macs are good computers and honestly I use 3rd party software to sync my stuff together and it works pretty good. And PC snobs you are no better then the mac users you mock. Seriously you need to grow up.
    06-24-10 05:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD