PLEASE bring back the proper BlackBerry hardware! Either a Blackberry Classic/Q10 keyboard or a Passport keyboard!

The KEYone keyboard sucks compared to real BlackBerry keyboards. I hope someone from Blackberry is reading this!
    01-15-18 08:07 PM
    PLEASE bring back the proper BlackBerry hardware! Either a Blackberry Classic/Q10 keyboard or a Passport keyboard!

The KEYone keyboard sucks compared to real BlackBerry keyboards. I hope someone from Blackberry is reading this!
    Really? I find the KEYone keyboard to be one of the best ever on a BlackBerry. Much more efficient then the 3 row Passport set up.
    mbirth, ck2nb, tazcubed and 1 others like this.
    01-15-18 08:09 PM
    Really? I find the KEYone keyboard to be one of the best ever on a BlackBerry. Much more efficient then the 3 row Passport set up.
    The Passport keyboard was too good. So good it split the PKB crowd in half. TCL would be wise to at least take a shot at larger screen device with a three row keyboard. I suspect a good chunk of people still on BB10 are rocking a Passport. It was by far their best BB10 device.
    Bbnivende, Qorax, dflyer and 10 others like this.
    01-15-18 08:39 PM
    The Passport keyboard was too good. So good it split the PKB crowd in half. TCL would be wise to at least take a shot at larger screen device with a three row keyboard. I suspect a good chunk of people still on BB10 are rocking a Passport. It was by far their best BB10 device.
    Yes it was a good keyboard but the reality is, a 3 row keyboard is not as efficient as a 4 row. With the alt key removing the need to move up to the screen to add punctuation or numbers, it makes for a much faster and natural typing experience in my opinion.
    01-15-18 08:42 PM

KEYᵒⁿᵉ is my favourite by far.

Capacitive-touch without the giant carpal tunnel thumb travel.
    01-15-18 08:45 PM
    Yes it was a good keyboard but the reality is, a 3 row keyboard is not as efficient as a 4 row. With the alt key removing the need to move up to the screen to add punctuation or number, it makes for a much faster typing experience in my opinion.
    Depends what you mean by efficient. For some comfort is a factor...wider, more generous keys, and the whole setup (being wider are the base and yet more compact vertically) tees it up perfectly for a larger screen device. I think a three row keyboard would work perfectly in a phablet size device (think iPhone 8 plus or Pixel 2 XL) and probably win over not just Passport fans, but ex-BlackBerry fans in general by FINALLY matching up a PKB with a proper full size touch screen.
    01-15-18 08:50 PM
    Depends what you mean by efficient. For some comfort is a factor...wider, more generous keys, and the whole setup (being wider are the base and yet more compact vertically) tees it up perfectly for a larger screen device. I think a three row keyboard would work perfectly in a phablet size device (think iPhone 8 plus or Pixel 2 XL) and probably win over lot of ex-Passport fans.
    As I said a 4 row keyboard is efficient as in its a natural typing experience. When you type on your laptop, you naturally use shift or alt to symbols and numbers. Imagine having to go to an on screen keyboard even if it made your pkb larger and more compact, it wouldn't be as efficient of an experience. Yes I get its an extreme example but just trying to make the point. So the passport keyboard does technically make the typing experience slower and less efficient in my opinion.
    I'm not saying it isn't a great keyboard however.
    tazcubed likes this.
    01-15-18 08:53 PM
    As I said a 4 row keyboard is efficient as in its a natural typing experience. When you type on your laptop, you naturally use shift or alt to symbols and numbers. Imagine having to go to an on screen keyboard even if it made your pkb larger and more compact, it wouldn't be as efficient of an experience. Yes I get its an extreme example but just trying to make the point. So the passport keyboard does technically make the typing experience slower and less efficient in my opinion.
    I'm not saying it isn't a great keyboard however.
    While personally I also prefer the four row keyboard from a purely typing perspective...slimming it down to three rows is well worth the trade-off if it gets you both a more comfortable typing experience and a taller (and wider) screen. I don't think it would be very wise for BBMo to completely disregard the benefits of a three row keyboard. Especially for a phablet-sized device.
    The_Passporter likes this.
    01-15-18 09:04 PM
    While personally I also prefer the four row keyboard from a purely typing perspective...slimming it down to three rows is well worth the trade-off if it gets you both a more comfortable typing experience and a taller (and wider) screen. I don't think it would be very wise to completely disregard the three row keyboard. Especially for a phablet-sized device.
    Oh yes I agree and if they can go with a wider Passport type screen then for sure. Just think there are some limitation for that screen aspect ratio on android.
    01-15-18 09:05 PM
    Oh yes I agree and if they can go with a wider Passport type screen then for sure. Just think there are some limitation for that screen aspect ratio on android.
    What I am expecting to eventually see is a smaller (KeyONE) and larger (KeyONE+?) PKB device from BBBMo. That would make the most sense IMHO. Lots of precedents for that in the market (iPhone 8/8+, Pixel 2 / Pixel 2 XL, S8/8+, etc etc). All those Passport users and even ex-BlackBerry fans on larger phablets will appreciate such a device. Especially if they can manage a true full size screen. Look at an iPhone+ model for example...add up those bezels and line them up at the bottom and you can easily squeeze in a nice and wide three row pkb...
    01-16-18 08:05 AM
    Capacitive-touch without the giant carpal tunnel thumb travel.
    The Passport is less than 2cm wider than the K1. You call that giant carpal tunnel thumb travel? Lol.

And don't forget, not all of us have tiny hands. Thats as much a reason to go with a larger phone as a bigger screen. Bigger screen means bigger keyboard.
    Qorax and The_Passporter like this.
    01-16-18 08:17 AM
    The Passport is less than 2cm wider than the K1. You call that giant carpal tunnel thumb travel? Lol.

And don't forget, not all of us have tiny hands. Thats as much a reason to go with a larger phone as a bigger screen. Bigger screen means bigger keyboard.
    I was providing MY opinion.

Despite having rather long thumbs, I still felt sore after hours of typing a day. I don't have this issue on the more traditionally-sized keyboards.
    MartyE likes this.
    01-16-18 08:31 AM
    What I am expecting to eventually see is a smaller (KeyONE) and larger (KeyONE+?) PKB device from BBBMo. That would make the most sense IMHO. Lots of precedents for that in the market (iPhone 8/8+, Pixel 2 / Pixel 2 XL, S8/8+, etc etc). All those Passport users and even ex-BlackBerry fans on larger phablets will appreciate such a device. Especially if they can manage a true full size screen. Look at an iPhone+ model for example...add up those bezels and line them up at the bottom and you can easily squeeze in a nice and wide three row pkb...
    IMHO, the current KEYone is already a plus-sized device. If they go bigger I hope they go MUCH bigger, as in a 7" phablet.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Qorax likes this.
    01-16-18 08:39 AM
    I remember all the Curve user complaining about how huge the Q10 was.... as the Q5 was never widely available in the US.

In the end.... big screens are what are in. Those that want smaller can hope that with two new PKB devices that maybe one will be a little smaller than the KEYone and one will be a little larger. That way maybe "most" will be happy.
    01-16-18 08:44 AM

The Passport was wide but short. I guess that worked. It might work if the screen has no bezels at the top.

Personally, I would have TCL build an expensive Keyone and a cheaper one (much cheaper) .
    Trisk333 likes this.
    01-16-18 08:51 AM
    I remember all the Curve user complaining about how huge the Q10 was.... as the Q5 was never widely available in the US.

In the end.... big screens are what are in. Those that want smaller can hope that with two new PKB devices that maybe one will be a little smaller than the KEYone and one will be a little larger. That way maybe "most" will be happy.
    For me, the new generations of always on, always connected LTE Windows laptops means that I will only want a smartphone for the same functions I used in 2005: for quick email, calls, calendar, contact and task capture on an ultra portable device for meetings and other times when I don't have my bag with me

My mantra for a smartphone is going to be, "the smaller the better" as I will prefer the laptop in any situation where it's viable.

Qorax and Mrs Teapot like this.
    01-16-18 08:54 AM
    IMHO, the current KEYone is already a plus-sized device. If they go bigger I hope they go MUCH bigger, as in a 7" phablet.

Yeah but don't forget, for the examples I cited (and others) the only difference between a regular and plus sized device anyway is barely 1cm in each direction.

With a truly up to date and bezel-less design, therefore...the KeyONE could be trimmed down quite a bit and keep its screen size the same...and alternately, a plus size version with a three row pkb would only need to be maybe 5mm or so bigger at most than the current KeyONE and fit a full size screen.

Again, that assumes upgraded tech to the current baseline for a flagship level device...a maximum bezel of +/- 5mm.
    01-16-18 08:56 AM
    For me, the new generations of always on, always connected LTE Windows laptops means that I will only want a smartphone for the same functions I used in 2005: for quick email, calls, calendar, contact and task capture on an ultra portable device for meetings and other times when I don't have my bag with me

My mantra for a smartphone is going to be, "the smaller the better" as I will prefer the laptop in any situation where it's viable.

Or no smartphone at all, Lol. A bluetooth headset and your basically phone free in almost any scenario anyway...
    01-16-18 09:04 AM
    Yeah but don't forget, for the examples I cited (and others) the only difference between a regular and plus sized device anyway is barely 1cm in each direction.

With a truly up to date and bezel-less design, therefore...the KeyONE could be trimmed down quite a bit and keep its screen size the same...and alternately, a plus size version with a three row pkb would only need to be maybe 5mm or so bigger at most than the current KeyONE and fit a full size screen.

Again, that assumes upgraded tech to the current baseline for a flagship level device...a maximum bezel of +/- 5mm.
    9900 width is good. The height of the Z10 is acceptable. They can play with the screen size and bezels all they want, but I would like the maximum outer dimensions to be 5.125"x2.67" range.

For comparison,
    KEYone: 5.87" x 2.85"
    9900: 4.53"x2.6"
    Z10: 5.12"x2.58"
    Samsung S8: 5.86" x 2.68"

Qorax and Griffin2012 like this.
    01-16-18 09:17 AM
    9900 width is good. The height of the Z10 is acceptable. They can play with the screen size and bezels all they want, but I would like the maximum outer dimensions to be 5.125"x2.67" range.

For comparison,

Currently, only the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact meets my size preference.

01-16-18 09:22 AM
    The Passport was wide but short. I guess that worked. It might work if the screen has no bezels at the top.

Personally, I would have TCL build an expensive Keyone and a cheaper one (much cheaper) .
    Not sure there is room to go cheaper.... KEYone with natural depreciation is probable it.
    01-16-18 09:40 AM
    From CNET

When asked whether BlackBerry Mobile would push to grow its presence by releasing a low-cost device, Hurn said one of the phones planned for this year would cost more than the other without specifying the price gap. He characterized the brand's approach as a measured one, and it seems clear BlackBerry Mobile isn't going to rush to build its base of fans.

You probably shouldn't expect to see a superfast premium BlackBerry for a while, either. Hurn didn't rule out the possibility but noted that the KEYone represented a special blend of build quality, performance and price, and indicated that nailing that sweet spot again would take precedence over building a high-end device to rival the iPhones and Galaxys of the world. "You have to earn your right to be in the superpremium space," he added.

Maybe one if the models will be a cheaper build Keyone and the other an improved version. Sort of like a Q5/Q10.
    01-16-18 10:17 AM

For comparison,

But the Z10 was trying to be an iPhone. That format is all but dead, even for Apple. I don't see much of a market for tiny phones...especially not in the price segment BBBMo is targeting.
    01-16-18 10:21 AM
    From CNET

When asked whether BlackBerry Mobile would push to grow its presence by releasing a low-cost device, Hurn said one of the phones planned for this year would cost more than the other without specifying the price gap. He characterized the brand's approach as a measured one, and it seems clear BlackBerry Mobile isn't going to rush to build its base of fans.

You probably shouldn't expect to see a superfast premium BlackBerry for a while, either. Hurn didn't rule out the possibility but noted that the KEYone represented a special blend of build quality, performance and price, and indicated that nailing that sweet spot again would take precedence over building a high-end device to rival the iPhones and Galaxys of the world. "You have to earn your right to be in the superpremium space," he added.

Maybe one if the models will be a cheaper build Keyone and the other an improved version. Sort of like a Q5/Q10.
    Or 'two different phones' just means two different variants of the same design, just like silver 3/32 vs black edition 4/64...
    01-16-18 10:29 AM
  25. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I prefer wider keyboard than the KeyOne..guess I was spoiled by Passport....

Posted via CB10
    01-16-18 12:09 PM
271 123 ...