To run LTE on a Device, you Need a LTE SIM, LTE Capable Device, LTE Plan, and a LTE Network.
    You need those 4 things to be able to Have LTE on your device.
    The 9900 or any new bb out right now will never suport LTE.
    Even with the LTE SIM and LTE Plan, you will not get LTE Speeds becuase the 9900 handles only 14Mbps Speed. Where as LTE is 21 for my understanding.
    So that being said, whether you do get a "LTE" Sim or stick with the one you got...you will only get max speeds of up to 14mpbs until a BB device is released that can go up to LTE Speeds.
    laurah2215 likes this.
    09-28-11 08:13 PM
    Interesting. So what you are saying is, your device must have the hardware to support LTE, or you will never be able to use it.

Wow, who would have thought that...
    09-28-11 08:17 PM
    Interesting. So what you are saying is, your device must have the hardware to support LTE, or you will never be able to use it.

Wow, who would have thought that...
    Well thats something everyone already knows :P
    Alot of people think that just cause you have a Device that supports LTE, then that means your automatically getting LTE Speed. But thats not the case however. You also need a LTE Sim and a LTE Plan.
    09-28-11 08:20 PM
    Well thats something everyone already knows :P
    Alot of people think that just cause you have a Device that supports LTE, then that means your automatically getting LTE Speed. But thats not the case however. You also need a LTE Sim and a LTE Plan.
    True. But here in the US, at least on VZW, if you have an LTE device you are required to have an LTE plan. I don't know if it is like that in Canada, but I would think it would be something similar.

For all those people buying LTE device off contract assuming they think they have LTE just because, then yea I can see this being a problem. I don't think it was too bad when 3G SIMs came out. I'm sure it was confusing at first but I'm sure the market will adapt once again.
    Last edited by avt123; 09-28-11 at 08:42 PM.
    09-28-11 08:40 PM
    True. But here in the US, at least on VZW, if you have an LTE device you are required to have an LTE plan. I don't know if it is like that in Canada, but I would think it would be something similar.

For all those people buying LTE device off contract assuming they think they have LTE just because, then yea I can see this being a problem. I don't think it was too bad when 3G SIMs came out. I'm sure it was confusing at first but I'm sure the market will adapt once again.
    I just recently started working for Rogers. To my knowledge, we dont have 3G simcards.
    Im using a Simcard dating back to before 3G was available and im using it in my 9900 and receving HSPA+.

LTE seems to be the only network here in Canada that requires you to buy a new sim card.

And yes your correct, here you do need a LTE plan if you have a LTE Device.
    09-28-11 08:53 PM
    I just recently started working for Rogers. To my knowledge, we dont have 3G simcards.
    Im using a Simcard dating back to before 3G was available and im using it in my 9900 and receving HSPA+.

LTE seems to be the only network here in Canada that requires you to buy a new sim card.

And yes your correct, here you do need a LTE plan if you have a LTE Device.
    Interesting. When I was an AT&T customer, I was required to use a 3G SIM card (when AT&T initially started heavily deploying 3G they switched to 3G SIMs).
    09-28-11 09:07 PM
    Interesting. When I was an AT&T customer, I was required to use a 3G SIM card (when AT&T initially started heavily deploying 3G they switched to 3G SIMs).
    Thats not the case here in Canada.
    Just today i did upgrades for customers to the new Bold 9900. They were upgrading from a really really old Sony Ericson. Never changed their sim card. Jus took it out of their old phone and into the 9900 and they were getting HSPA+
    09-28-11 10:04 PM
    As has been said in here before, the more I think about it, unless you have unlimited data (true unlimited and not something capped at 5gb) you will have tons of overages with LTE as you will burn through more data quicker given the speed. Yes yes yes, 5gb is 5gb, but when you don't actively watch you data consumption, and if you are a big consumer of data (i.e., stream a lot of video), you won't realize how quick you burn through it.
    09-29-11 06:50 AM
    As has been said in here before, the more I think about it, unless you have unlimited data (true unlimited and not something capped at 5gb) you will have tons of overages with LTE as you will burn through more data quicker given the speed. Yes yes yes, 5gb is 5gb, but when you don't actively watch you data consumption, and if you are a big consumer of data (i.e., stream a lot of video), you won't realize how quick you burn through it.
    Judging from my data usage so far this cycle, I expect to use roughly 7-8GB/month. I'm grandfathered in with unlimited data. life is good.
    09-29-11 09:44 AM
    Does LTE allow Simultaneous Voice and Data? If so, that's why.

CDMA is useless to me until it allows SV&D. I really don't know how you Verizon and Sprint People can live without it :P
    09-29-11 10:55 AM
    If you get a phone with LTE but there is no LTE coverage in your area, does it just give you 3g then?
    Yes. Every LTE device out right now falls back onto 3G (at least on VZW) if you have no or extremely poor LTE coverage.

LTE coverage is pretty small right now. If these devices wouldn't be able to fall back to 3G and turn of LTE, they would be rendered useless as soon as you leave an LTE area.
    09-29-11 11:31 AM
    Only if you decide to stream more often. Higher speeds won't change anything. If I watch 1 hour of video each day on LTE, and each day you watch the same stream I do on 3G, we will both have consumed the same amount of data. The only difference would be that my phone downloads the 1hr of video in a shorter time than the 3G counterpart.

Higher speed doesn't increase data consumption. A change in habit does.
    09-29-11 12:06 PM
    Judging from my data usage so far this cycle, I expect to use roughly 7-8GB/month. I'm grandfathered in with unlimited data. life is good.
    You're on verizon, right? Well don't they have a throttle cap, even if you are on unlimited? I thought VZW will start throttling you once you go over 5gb (which you will do faster on LTE)???

Please correct me if I am wrong.
    09-29-11 12:30 PM
    You're on verizon, right? Well don't they have a throttle cap, even if you are on unlimited? I thought VZW will start throttling you once you go over 5gb (which you will do faster on LTE)???

Please correct me if I am wrong.
    as far as I know it's for the top 5% data users. I'm sure there are a lot of folks using more than me. LOTS more.

I just reviewed usage in My Verizon--I'm on track now, to use just 4GB in a month. (today is day 14 of my cycle and I've used 2.04 GB)
    Last edited by dave1812; 09-29-11 at 01:57 PM.
    09-29-11 01:54 PM
    Only if you decide to stream more often. Higher speeds won't change anything. If I watch 1 hour of video each day on LTE, and each day you watch the same stream I do on 3G, we will both have consumed the same amount of data. The only difference would be that my phone downloads the 1hr of video in a shorter time than the 3G counterpart.

Higher speed doesn't increase data consumption. A change in habit does.
    You can increase your data consumption streaming videos. The faster stream will allow a higher quality stream which will increase your data. The source controls the quality which is dependent on the stream. You are right about general usage such as web pages and the like.
    09-29-11 02:52 PM
    You can increase your data consumption streaming videos. The faster stream will allow a higher quality stream which will increase your data. The source controls the quality which is dependent on the stream. You are right about general usage such as web pages and the like.
    When you stream videos, music, etc... the source hasn't a clue whether you're on LTE, 3G, or WiFi. It sends you whatever you as the user ask for.
    09-29-11 05:15 PM
    Hello jlb21,

I would like to clarify some information for you. Verizon Wireless does not throttle, but a process called network optimization has begun. This process manages data for a small amount of customers to ensure a reliable network for all users. This does not affect 4G LTE users and will only go into affect when the user is on a congested cell cite. You can learn more about this by navigating to verizonwireless.com/networkoptimization. Thank you. ^TB

Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport
    10-06-11 03:00 PM
    Wow is this an official VZW account? If so, send me a free 9930.
    10-06-11 03:10 PM
    Does LTE allow Simultaneous Voice and Data? If so, that's why.

CDMA is useless to me until it allows SV&D. I really don't know how you Verizon and Sprint People can live without it :P
    For the two times in the last 4 months I needed SV&D I just whipped out my ipad.

It's not really a big deal not having it, at least for me.
    10-06-11 03:44 PM
    Wow is this an official VZW account? If so, send me a free 9930.
    Haha no kidding, apparently they really wanted to address the issue.
    avt123 likes this.
    10-06-11 03:46 PM
    lol AVT! How bout' that. ....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    avt123 likes this.
    10-06-11 03:46 PM
    Even if you have the LTE Phone, Sim, and plan, it doesn't mean you will actually reach those speeds.

How many of us can hit 14 Mbps on our HSPA+ Blackberry devices?

Lots of other factors dimish the speed you will actually realize on the network
    10-06-11 04:58 PM
    Run speedtest.net, set the options to Kilobytes instead of megabits. The speed will be slower, the speed reported then is what browsers report when loading pages and downloading/uploading files. You'll have to do this while tethered with a BB or via the android/iDevice (general term covers the itouch/iphone/ipad) app, make sure Kilobytes is selected. Your carriers will also measure this speed in kilobytes/megabytes/gigabytes depending on how large the numbers get, ie. 1024 KB (1MB), 1024 MB (1GB).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-11 06:39 PM
    I think the network is critical, because right now most areas (at least in Ontario) aren't LTE capable yet. I hope they continue to invest in LTE.
    10-06-11 07:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD