There are two likely outcomes, now that BBRY has put up the 'FOR SALE' sign...

(Apparently management has lokkes at the sales figures for the BB10 devises, and decided that the turnaround isn't going as well as they had hoped for, so staying in the current position is untenable. We can assume that the directors that left recently, were fundamentally unhappy or disagreeing with that decision.)

The first outcome is, that a buyer would swoop in, and sell off the few profitable assets. (BBRYs patents might worth a billion or two, but are often overvalued...) QNX would be spun off, and might be worth 500-1bn dollars on a really good day. the BBOS division might also be sold off or spun off, though that's more unlikely (though there are 70 million customers there, and a good name brand in some countries)
    And finally BBRYs server infrastructure and BBM might also get spun off. A sale could also happen, though the value of BBM isn't what it used to be.

The other option is, that a Chinese company such as ZTE or Huawei would enter the picture, and try to leverage BBOS10 and BBM themselves.
    (You won't see Sony, Samsung or LG be interested, Sony got problems enough with their One Sony turnaround, Samsung got Tizen, and LG recently bought whatever is left of Palms OS. Any buyer of BBRY would be a tier B manufacturer, tryinng to differentiate themselves)
    ZTE or Huawei however could need a differentiator like BBM on their phones, and BB10s Android runtime would make it more compatible with their existing Android efforts. You'd see BB10 reduced to more of a skin of sorts, rather than promoted as an OS in its own right.

BBRYs back end resources and QNX would mostly be absorbed into the rest of ZTE/Huawei, though you might see QNX be sold off. Keep in mind that the two companies also dabble in telecom and infrastructure solutions.

Which of the two alternatives would you prefer?
    08-13-13 04:57 AM
    Partnerships. I would prefer that other option.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 06:25 AM
    Partnerships. I would prefer that other option.

Posted via CB10
    With Sony.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 06:26 AM
    Most likely BlackBerry team up with IBM or auto industry

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 06:32 AM
    That it continue its rapid descent down the tubes.
    08-13-13 07:14 AM
    You can leave anytime you want

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 07:19 AM
    With Sony.

Posted via CB10
    Not really an option. What does BBRY have that Sony would want? Nothing...

And Sony is already heavily invested in the Android ecosystem. They also have their One Sony initiative, to make the company perform like a cohesive unit. Last thing they need right now, is to merge ANOTHER division with the rest of the company.
    08-13-13 07:45 AM
    At this point, I think the only way to salvage the Blackberry brand as we know it is for the company to go private, liquidate, and become a niche player, making phones specifically targeted at business and government. Sell off anything of value (sell QNX but keep the rights to BB10), pull their products out of carrier stores, and sell direct to business.

How likely do I think this is? Not likely at all. But it's the only way I see Blackberry continue to make phones.
    h20work and jegs2 like this.
    08-13-13 08:41 AM
    At this point, I think the only way to salvage the Blackberry brand as we know it is for the company to go private, liquidate, and become a niche player, making phones specifically targeted at business and government. Sell off anything of value (sell QNX but keep the rights to BB10), pull their products out of carrier stores, and sell direct to business..
    Good points. The uncertainty and poor quarterly reports is what's holding a lot of possible corporate customers back. If BBRY went private, and wouldn't have to report new setbacks every quarter, it might restore some faith in the company, and bring customers back...
    h20work and mikeo007 like this.
    08-13-13 08:51 AM
    Wow! Certainly not what is depicted in the below article! Simply brutal!

My two cents...find a partner with similar interest in mobile computing.

Going private would sound BlackBerry’s death knell | Toronto Star

Go BB!
    08-13-13 08:56 AM
    At this point, I think the only way to salvage the Blackberry brand as we know it is for the company to go private, liquidate, and become a niche player, making phones specifically targeted at business and government. Sell off anything of value (sell QNX but keep the rights to BB10), pull their products out of carrier stores, and sell direct to business.

How likely do I think this is? Not likely at all. But it's the only way I see Blackberry continue to make phones.
    I'd like to see them move in the direction Panasonic did with the toughbooks. It's obvious they can't compete on specs and prices, so they need to differentiate themselves. Make some accessories like an obdii interface. Do something different for a change!

May be a little late now since Samsung and Sony are making the waterproof and "everything proof" phones now.
    08-13-13 09:06 AM
    Get off the pot or Sssssssshhhhhhhhhh already.
    08-13-13 09:08 AM
    I think they should partner up with Google and make blackberry phones that run on either BB10 or Android and let the user choose what to install. Second they should go private, off the stock market and let the blackberry reputation rebuild the empire with it's sales which will happen because all the news that causes blackberry problems is always based on the stock value; remove that out of the equation and there will be more positive news about the company. Third DO NOT release BBM to iphones, only release it to Blackberry and Android OS phones. BBM is still a valuable messenger that people love and letting android users in on it will more then double the user base and make it a reason for people to leave iphones making Apple less competitive in the market then the bad news will all revolve around their plummeting stock price which is already happening since Steve Jobs died and bring it down faster and further.
    08-13-13 09:36 AM
    Go private. Stay out of the light, reorganize and rethink their marketing or lack of it. Concentrate on their strengths and improve them.
    BlackBerry may end up much smaller, but they need to focus on business and government.

Canadian Z10 owner on Telus
    08-13-13 09:58 AM
    I think they should partner up with Google and make blackberry phones that run on either BB10 or Android and let the user choose what to install. Second they should go private, off the stock market and let the blackberry reputation rebuild the empire with it's sales which will happen because all the news that causes blackberry problems is always based on the stock value; remove that out of the equation and there will be more positive news about the company. Third DO NOT release BBM to iphones, only release it to Blackberry and Android OS phones. BBM is still a valuable messenger that people love and letting android users in on it will more then double the user base and make it a reason for people to leave iphones making Apple less competitive in the market then the bad news will all revolve around their plummeting stock price which is already happening since Steve Jobs died and bring it down faster and further.
    Well, that's certainly a pretty moronic idea. Bordering on lunacy.

Apple isn't BBRYs main competition, no matter if you like the company or believe your own delusions about APPL.

BBRYs main problem is the twofold: The 4-600 dollar Android handsets that take customers away from the Z10s and the 100-200$ Android handsets that are taking BBRYs low end customers.

Even if the iPhone was the main competition, BBRY has absolutely no chance against Apple. Their product lineup, cloud services and ecosystem doesn't even begin to compare, so better to hover up some of the customers from the weaker Android manufacturers.

Ignoring BBM for iOS would also e a pisspoor business decision. iPhone users use their phones much more than Android users, and are much more likely to click ads and spend money.
    08-13-13 10:06 AM
    Go private. Partner with Google for their services
    I am liking more and more the android runtime since it was updated to 4.2.2 in the latest os leak. Now an android port is as fluid as a native app. Just the navigation is a bit different.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 12:02 PM