View Poll Results: What would convince you to switch to a BlackBerry phone?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • More apps

34 44.74%
  • Better screen resulution

11 14.47%
  • Slider phone

14 18.42%
  • QWERTY with larger screen

21 27.63%
  • Better camera

27 35.53%
  • Other

28 36.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
01-27-14 08:12 PM
133 ... 3456
tools
    [QUOTE=ajst222;9857067]I own one, but apps and camera are the main cons if you ask me.
    Oh wait! Didn't the Z30 camera just beat the iPhone (iOS), Motorola (Android) and Lumina (WP) last week at CES Las Vegas? WIRED mag conducted the tests and concluded that Z30 had the best camera for on-the-fly shoots. Is it better than a full-on digital camera. No. But neither is any other phone.
    01-16-14 10:48 PM
    Effective coding makes up for a lot of "slower" processors.

Apple had the fastest pc on the market with its G5 processor from Motorola, and it was far slower in terms of specs

Posted via CB10
    Yeah that's why company doing innovation, android with kitkat and apple with ios 7.

And the tech persons behind each OS will optimize them to suit the hardware better and efficiently.

I'm ex blackberry user, iphone user and android user. In 2010 i have a lag android device running froyo and also bb bold 9000, the iphone is the smooth one. But in 2014 i can say that android has been doing great if not awesome job with ics, jelly bean and kitkat.

I cannot comment on latest bb10 but i dont think it's beating another os by big margin in term of smoothness.

Sent from multiple devices using Tapatalk
    mornhavon likes this.
    01-17-14 12:22 AM
    Yeah that's why company doing innovation, android with kitkat and apple with ios 7.

And the tech persons behind each OS will optimize them to suit the hardware better and efficiently.

I'm ex blackberry user, iphone user and android user. In 2010 i have a lag android device running froyo and also bb bold 9000, the iphone is the smooth one. But in 2014 i can say that android has been doing great if not awesome job with ics, jelly bean and kitkat.

I cannot comment on latest bb10 but i dont think it's beating another os by big margin in term of smoothness.

I would agree.. Android has come a long way in a few years imo it's not great yet but doing better.

I was simply replying to someone who was implying that the fastest chips always win. That's not really true in the least though.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 12:35 AM
    I'm a pure business user. My first post on this forum. Now using a Bold 9930 set up BIS for 3 years. Used a bunch of Curve 8350i for employees for several years before that coming from Nextel. Just bought a new Q10 out right 3 weeks ago from private seller w/ os 10.1.0.4211. Set up BB ID and email and several apps but have been using it with wifi only. Reluctant to switch devices and activate with carrier because so far BB10 is more cumbersome to use for general communication than my Bold. I like the Q10 form factor, it is superior for browsing, camera, sound, screen resolution etc. but I will wait for official 10.2 release so I can gain needed features. I have been put off and disturbed that the Q10 cant do some things as easy as the Bold and some things not at all for that matter. I wish it could do auto on/off for example. After 3 weeks still find myself confused how to "go back" in certain apps or after checking a link in an email. Miss the track pad. Cut and paste is very difficult if not impossible to do quickly. Frankly, I expected an easier transition. I simply don't have time to play around with installing leaked OS and the like and I now understand why BB is having a tough sell with the new OS.

By the way, I have tried Android phones and presently use a Galaxy Tab 7 LTE. I also tried iphone 5s but I see greater potential in BB10. (in fact I find myself trying to use gestures on my tablet, its very catchy!)

Ultimately, I will be convinced when OS is updated/matured to the point where I feel I wont miss the Bold functionality or be tempted by a more mature Android OS. Its hard to believe RIM/Blackberry made this so hard on us. Right now I'm still waiting. Are you listening BB?
    JDRiggs and Ek-Balam like this.
    01-17-14 01:56 AM
    Blackberry's Consumer market strategy was all wrong.

They developed features for the corporate market and then tried to pass them off as consumer orientationted features. Bad move.

I see channels as a money grab niche service. They really should have been partnering with companies like Yahoo (Weather, Flickr, etc.), Microsoft (Outlook, SkyDrive, etc.) to I terrace services I to the OS. The problem with Blackberries is that they are work phones first.

Blackberry doesn't have an ecosystem designed for the consumer market. Their media storefronts, Web services, and app store just isn't there. This stuff is way more important that the specifics of the OS software running on the phone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    01-17-14 02:43 AM
    This question presumes you are a Blackberry follower, but not currently using a Blackberry phone.

What's holding you back? What does BlackBerry need to do or produce to win you over as a customer?

More apps?
    Better camera?
    A slider phone?
    QWERTY phone with larger screen?
    Return of trackpad and buttons?
    Better screen resolution?
    Something else?

If you respond with a post, please indicate if you are a consumer or more of a business user.
    I would still have my Blackberry Z30 if it could handle syncing my work calendar. It couldn't so had to go.
    01-17-14 02:45 AM
    Another upgraded BB. LOL. Wont change until forced to
    01-17-14 05:23 AM
    I switched back from BB to iphone because is not acceptable for me android support in BB!
    01-17-14 05:47 AM
    [QUOTE=Sandy Sprong;9862267]
    I own one, but apps and camera are the main cons if you ask me.
    Oh wait! Didn't the Z30 camera just beat the iPhone (iOS), Motorola (Android) and Lumina (WP) last week at CES Las Vegas? WIRED mag conducted the tests and concluded that Z30 had the best camera for on-the-fly shoots. Is it better than a full-on digital camera. No. But neither is any other phone.
    I've expressed this elsewhere in the forums but the Z30's adequate camera beating out the Lumia 1020's sounds very fishy.

Photo a Day Channel: C002B5A07
    tack likes this.
    01-17-14 05:55 AM
    My banking app. It would be the only thing I would want. Without it, it's a deal breaker.
    01-17-14 06:25 AM
    I don't think there is an answer to this. I own all three platforms and I really don't see a compelling reason why someone would switch from iOS or Android with the current state of bb10. Don't get me wrong, it's a good OS but what would be someone's motivation to switch if they are happy with their current platform?

The hub isn't going to cut it if you ask me. While it's a nice feature at the end of the day it's really not that different from the notifications centers in Android and iOS. File management is fantastic, but that's not going to matter to a lot of people when they can get the same job done with an app.

Also the fact that when BB10 was launched it was severely undercooked and I think that a lot of people that tried it and returned their phones won't give it another chance.

With the current app situation, people just aren't going to do it when there are no third party accessories, no carrier support, and an uncertain future for the company.
    mornhavon and tack like this.
    01-17-14 06:26 AM
    I switched back from BB to iphone because is not acceptable for me android support in BB!
    From all of the answers this has gotta to be the most bizzare reason i've seen.

mornhavon likes this.
    01-17-14 06:53 AM
    I would agree.. Android has come a long way in a few years imo it's not great yet but doing better.

I was simply replying to someone who was implying that the fastest chips always win. That's not really true in the least though.

Posted via CB10
    I think you just straw manned my argument.
    01-17-14 07:57 AM
    My two main reasons for leaving BB10 were:

1. No Swype.
    2. No text reflow in browser (Reader mode is an inadequate substitute)

Of these two, the one that would persuade me to switch back faster would be Swype or SwiftKey Flow in the keyboard. I really prefer this more "cursive" way of entering text. I guess it's just possible that tap-typing is a bit better on the larger screen of the Z30, but I'm skeptical.

As for the absence of text reflow, I can put up with it a bit better with Pocket clients in BB World. I had ReadItNow, and it worked pretty well. I see it's been updated, so that's promising.

Yes, the app gap is a factor, but I'm okay with Android ports, sideloads, and apk installs, if they work. I know Audible works, and that's a big one for me. When I left BB10, the available podcast apps were all a bit buggy, but I see that one of them, bPod, has been updated and made a paid app, so maybe the kinks have been ironed out. I do a lot of podcast listening, so this is an important item for me.

I'd like to see the Amazon mp3 store in BB World. I don't know if it works sideloaded.
    01-17-14 08:33 AM
    Apps.
    I'm going to get a Z30 anyway.
    My wife has a Nexus 4, and I have a Nexus 7 in the house.
    On the BB side I have an old bold, and 2 Playbooks.

I'm not a big app user (you can't be with Playbook and Bold!!!)..but there are key apps I would like to use that I find a pain that I can't.
    I have no issue side-loading or getting the latest leak to fill my need, but for 99% of the consumers, that's not an option.
    They need Apps, and the only viable way a the moment will be for them to fully embrace the Android system (as they seem to be going that way)..and have BB10 Apps for those that want to be branded separately or want to make the best use of the BB10 features
    01-17-14 08:39 AM
    I'm a business user also but I have to say it's the apps. Very frustrating to see an app advertised on TV that's available in the App Store or Google Play but not BB World.

Currently use iPhone 5s but miss my physical keyboard terribly. Had 9930 and 2 PB's. Moved to Q10 but apps and camera sent me to Apple.

Improve availability of native apps ( if I wanted Android apps I'd get an Android phone), and improve the camera and I'll come running back.

In fact my staff is happy I moved to the iPhone. They said now they don't get detailed replies, only a 'K' or very brief response. Apparently they like that better but I don't!
    01-17-14 09:17 AM
    Improve availability of native apps ( if I wanted Android apps I'd get an Android phone), and improve the camera and I'll come running back.
    Yes Native would be the ideal..but 2013 has shown, this isn't going to happen..Developers need a big user base to make it worthwhile...So the only chance at the moment is eliminated the app-gap with Android.
    If BlackBerry can win back customers with the superior OS, Security, etc...(and the App Gap would be more or less gone with Android), then Developers might see the benefit of developing Native apps to make their Apps stand out.
    For now BB has lost that battle, they might do what they need to, so they can fight another day.
    01-17-14 09:42 AM
    One very encouraging thing is that the app issue will get better over time.
    Microsoft continues to deal with this issue with respect to WP8, but it is much better now than it was
    back in 2010 and 2011 when they introduced WP7.
    01-17-14 11:09 AM
    Crackberry.

If you run into a problem there are many folks here that are willing to help. I don't see the same level of help on the iOS or Android forums.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    01-17-14 02:04 PM
    I'm guessing you're already a convert though, right, so you're skewing my answers. ;-)

Crackberry.

If you run into a problem there are many folks here that are willing to help. I don't see the same level of help on the iOS or Android forums.

01-17-14 02:24 PM
    I think you just straw manned my argument.
    I'm sorry what was your argument? I honestly can't find your post looking back, I probably just skimmed over it.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 02:58 PM
    Not sure if it's just in manitoba, but there are no 3 year contracts at all here anymore. 2 year max..

Posted via CB10
    Buy the phone unlocked - MTS. Their BlackBerry's are not locked. And you don?t have to sign up for a plan. If the salesperson says you do - talk with another or the management. The QWERTY keyboard is awesome - but the z10 keyboard is actually awesome as well - response is far better than any android or iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-14 02:03 PM
    I'm guessing you're already a convert though, right, so you're skewing my answers. ;-)
    No not yet.

01-20-14 08:37 AM
    I'm a consumer and upgraded from a 9800 torch to the z10 back on launch day with Rogers.

One of the other reasons and main ones right now besides just the lack of apps / ecosystem is the public image of BlackBerry being or going bankrupt. A lot of friends with old BlackBerries coming soon for an upgrade have asked if they should upgrade to the new BB 10 or not because they hear all those rumors on the news or media. BlackBerry's image isn't the greatest right now as we all know.
    01-20-14 09:19 AM
    I'm really surprised that there aren't more comments regarding sliders.

There were a lot in this discussion: I want my BlackBerry Q50 to have this design | CrackBerry.com, but that hasn't
    shown up in this poll.
    01-21-14 10:31 AM
133 ... 3456