View Poll Results: What would convince you to switch to a BlackBerry phone?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • More apps

34 44.74%
  • Better screen resulution

11 14.47%
  • Slider phone

14 18.42%
  • QWERTY with larger screen

21 27.63%
  • Better camera

27 35.53%
  • Other

28 36.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    People, on my experience, are not smart in the least. I ask people this all the time they usually reply "my iPhone is better" when asked if they've tried something else almost 100% of the time they've never even tried anything else. They have no idea the features the BlackBerry has, yet they claim it is inferior. BlackBerry because popular due to people following a trend, BlackBerry was replaced by people following a new trend (apple), apple will eventually be replaced by people following the next trend.

No one likes to challenge the status quo, no one wants to be different, everyone wants to fit in.

It's not about the phone, stop pretending it is, it's about the image.

Posted via CB10
    Did this theory of people not being smart apply when BBRY was the leading smartphone manufacturer, or does it apply only to people who pick a different device than you?

Love em or hate em, Apple tends to keep its customers happy. BBRY struggles to get legacy users to switch to BB10.
    21stNow and Amy wineBerry like this.
    01-15-14 09:20 PM
    The only thing that would get me to switch, as things stand today, would be if I suddenly needed enterprise-level security and control over my phone.

Otherwise, I use Google for everything, and am fully invested in Google's apps and ecosystem, which are the best for me and my needs. I ran my last company with Google services VERY successfully, and with excellent support on both iOS and Android, all of my techs could get their work (custom app for Android and iOS to get electronic work orders, which can be completed in real-time on the device), send their job pics (G+ Photos, formerly Picasa), use Maps to get to the next customer or meet another tech, take credit card payments on the device, and do everything we needed to do. There were a couple of other custom apps (DishPointer being one) that my techs used all the time, only available on iOS and Android. The one tech with a legacy BB quickly switched once he saw what my other techs could do.

Google's services aren't really available on BB, so, for me, the platform is of little use to me. I use GMail, Maps, G+, Hangouts, Now, and Drive extensively, and between iOS and Android, that means there's a 95+% chance that any new person is already going to be supported on their existing phone, tablet, laptop, and/or desktop. While BB10 might have been able to do some of these things, and a few more of them once 10.2.1 (or 10.3) is eventually rolled out, my techs were able to do all of this 2-3 years ago on the other platforms.

For a small business, ease of use and low cost is absolutely key, and BB just doesn't have anything that can compete right now.
    westcoastit and GadgetTravel like this.
    01-15-14 09:28 PM
    Good question! I'm interested in seeing the results.

For those of you who would select "better camera", please take a look at this video comparison (posted in another thread by SUBLIMINALLYINCORECT):
    The Z10 takes a better photo by far))) I prove that every time with my partner who holds an iPhone 5.
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    01-15-14 09:29 PM
    The only thing that would get me to switch, as things stand today, would be if I suddenly needed enterprise-level security and control over my phone.

Otherwise, I use Google for everything, and am fully invested in Google's apps and ecosystem, which are the best for me and my needs. I ran my last company with Google services VERY successfully, and with excellent support on both iOS and Android, all of my techs could get their work, send their pics, and do everything we needed to do. The one tech with a legacy BB quickly switched once he saw what my other techs could do.

Google's services aren't really available on BB, so, for me, the platform is of little use to me. I use GMail, Maps, G+, Hangouts, Now, and Drive extensively, and between iOS and Android, that means there's a 95+% chance that any new person is already going to be supported on their existing phone, tablet, laptop, and/or desktop.

For a small business, ease of use and low cost is absolutely key, and BB just doesn't have anything that can compete right now.
    If it works for you then keep being successful by all means. But while you continue to use their services have you considered the profiles that are being built on your entire organization which may not benefit you in the near future.
    01-15-14 09:33 PM
    I have had BlackBerry for 10 years. I don't think price has that much to do with it. I just bought a Z30 off contract and it was $550 from Verizon. The iPhone is just as high and they sell like crazy. I think in the USA it is that the carrier don't update the OS and the lack of apps. Sure you can load the leaks and side load snap however I know 5 people with Z10 and until I told them about side loading the had know idea. And they had me do it for them. They all would tell you they love the phone now that they can get apps via snap. They either disliked or even one of them said they hated the phone before. Just my opinion. But loving my Z30.

Rockin Z30 on 10.2.1.1925
    I also tend to think that pricing has less to do with it than ecosystem.

Sideloading is a double edged sword, in my opinion. Great for tinkerers... except that tinkerers make up a small percentage of smartphone buyers.

Android has always been an attractive OS for people willing to root, but I don't think it really took off until Google started adding consumer-friendly features to the core. In other words, rooting became less needed. Developers jumped aboard because of propagation (I believe) and boom.

MSFT had seen some gains from a unique pricing strategy.
    01-15-14 09:33 PM
    If it works for you then keep being successful by all means. But while you continue to use their services have you considered the profiles that are being built on your entire organization which may not benefit you in the near future.
    Yes, I'm terrified I might see an ad I'm actually interested in, instead of one for tampons or throw pillows or whatever.
    01-15-14 09:36 PM
    Did this theory of people not being smart apply when BBRY was the leading smartphone manufacturer, or does it apply only to people who pick a different device than you?

Love em or hate em, Apple tends to keep its customers happy. BBRY struggles to get legacy users to switch to BB10.

I said people weren't smart due to the fact that we have an innate desire to be accepted at all costs. It's not limited to apple, they (people) weren't smart then (when BlackBerry was hot) to follow just for the sake of following either. It's not a great idea to follow the crowd just to follow the crowd.

I'm not saying it's foolish to use an apple product for ***** sake I have a houseful of them. I'm simply saying it's foolish to do so because everyone else does. Use the product you know is best for YOU, not your brother, sister, neighbor, best friend, teacher or classmate.... But YOU. whether that's an iPhone or an HTC one I don't care but make the choice yourself.

So why don't BlackBerry sell? Because of the image.

Read my post next time without trying to put words in my mouth.

Posted via CB10
    eggman1987 likes this.
    01-15-14 09:37 PM
    Good question! I'm interested in seeing the results.

For those of you who would select "better camera", please take a look at this video comparison (posted in another thread by SUBLIMINALLYINCORECT):
    How dare you post a review that favors the BB10's camera! Don't you know that the iPhone 5 has a magical ISP and better software?! Just knowing that should be enough to discredit the BB10 camera! Who needs real world tests! Bah!
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    01-15-14 09:39 PM
    I said people weren't smart due to the fact that we have an innate desire to be accepted at all costs. It's not limited to apple, they (people) weren't smart then (when BlackBerry was hot) to follow just for the sake of following either. It's not a great idea to follow the crowd just to follow the crowd.

I'm not saying it's foolish to use an apple product for ***** sake I have a houseful of them. I'm simply saying it's foolish to do so because everyone else does. Use the product you know is best for YOU, not your brother, sister, neighbor, best friend, teacher or classmate.... But YOU. whether that's an iPhone or an HTC one I don't care but make the choice yourself.

So why don't BlackBerry sell? Because of the image

Read my post next time without trying to put words in my mouth.

Posted via CB10
    BBRY doesn't sell because as-is, it is not making devices that are compelling enough for enough people. Image might have something to do with it, but that is BBRY's fault.

And why do you think most people do not use the best devices for them? There seems to me a sentiment that people don't know about BB10. That's definitely not true in my small sphere of influence. It just doesn't provide enough incentive for people to change. They know about the OS, even enjoy it, but cannot get some tasks done with the OS.

I think people are more concerned with productivity -- in whatever way they may define it -- than you give them credit for.
    Last edited by Tre Lawrence; 01-15-14 at 10:16 PM.
    Saiga and WorkStation 0 like this.
    01-15-14 09:47 PM
    Yes, I'm terrified I might see an ad I'm actually interested in, instead of one for tampons or throw pillows or whatever.
    I just laugh when i read this....
    LOL

Sent from multiple devices using Tapatalk
    01-15-14 10:59 PM
    There seems to me a sentiment that people don't know about BB10. That's definitely not true in my small sphere of influence. It just doesn't provide enough incentive for people to change. They know about the OS, even enjoy it, but cannot get some tasks done with the OS.
    So true.

I see people here constantly claiming that BlackBerry 10 devices haven't sold well because people don't know about them, but that simply doesn't appear to be true. I can honestly say that I personally do not know of any one who doesn't know of the existence of BB10. From my 9 year old nephew, to my friends, co-workers and 60 year old mother, they all have at least heard about BlackBerry 10. They simply don't have a reason to switch to it. Why change what you're used to when what you've got already meets your needs? BlackBerry 10 is still trying its best to catch up, but it needs to surpass the other options before the masses will take notice and start buying it.
    01-15-14 11:53 PM
    After 2 years with an iphone s4 i ordered a Q10 today! Main reasons: physical keyboard, no itunes, very fond of playbook so i hope bb10 works just as nice, fan of blackberry because they are different!

Cheers!
    01-16-14 12:03 AM
    according to ppl I know... the lack of apps, the camera and video could be better and the "style".

I think BlackBerry users can agree that the camera is too sensitive - the slightest movement will take a blurred picture.

Lack of apps - speaks for itself. I've msged companies like MJ and blog /software sites and they tend to give the same response. (we have no plan to create.. *blah blah blah*).

And style... the iPhone is nicely polished up on software as well as the phone itself.

A friend of mine wanted to get a new phone and I tried persuading him into BlackBerry - he didn't want one because of all the talk about BlackBerry folding.

I think if iphone users actually took a Z test drive for a while - they would change... well some at least. iphone has looks - BlackBerry has guts - literally.

I think public perception also drives the desire for an iPhone ("it's hot and everyone has to have one coz everyone else has one ").

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 12:14 AM
    What would convince me? A cheaper phone that I can buy outright and unlocked direct from the company.

Seriously, they price their phones like they're the only game in town rather than being struggling for 3rd or 4th place. I'd love a Q5 or Q10. I want to try out BB10, but I'd want a QWERTY phone if I get one because to me that's the 'true Blackberry experience'.

I quite like my iPhone 5S but I really want to try a BB10. Let me buy one unlocked at a reasonable price without a 3 year contract, and I'll give it a shot.

FWIW I am in Canada, where 3-year contracts are the status quo, and the only place I can find BB10 phones for outright purchase & unlocked is eBay, and they seem overpriced considering the risks of buying on eBay.
    MTS sells all BlackBerry phones unlocked for cash. (got my z10 from there). You will enjoy the freedom that BlackBerry offers (you don't have use itunes/BlackBerry link) and it's processing is great - think of it like an actual computer. It handles the 3D games very well also... just keep it plugged in.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 12:19 AM
    Nothing personal - but apple's customer service was not good when I needed help from them. They come out with new phones all of the time and they are not much different than the previous models (ex. 4s and 5).

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 12:21 AM
    I am a consumer. If I was going to buy a phone this year I would be looking at the Google Nexus 5 or the Sony Xperia Z Ultra Google play edition.

Both have stock Android which is slightly inelegant but functional and fast. Both also get access to the google play ecosystem.

For a Blackberry phone to even be in the running it would need to have hardware competetive with these phones at a competetive price. It would also need an ecosystem of native BB10 apps to compete with said phones. If I want to run Android apps I will get an Android phone.

If Blackberry could manage all that, I still would not give them the sweat off my **** cause I'm a playbook owner.
    01-16-14 12:23 AM
    True. I think some are also not comfortable with change. Ppl tend to stick to what they know. I had contrast coz my wife had an iPhone and I had a BlackBerry. Both phones have ups and downs.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 12:24 AM
    I am a consumer. If I was going to buy a phone this year I would be looking at the Google Nexus 5 or the Sony Xperia Z Ultra Google play edition.

Both have stock Android which is slightly inelegant but functional and fast. Both also get access to the google play ecosystem.

For a Blackberry phone to even be in the running it would need to have hardware competetive with these phones at a competetive price. It would also need an ecosystem of native BB10 apps to compete with said phones. If I want to run Android apps I will get an Android phone.

If Blackberry could manage all that, I still would not give them the sweat off my **** cause I'm a playbook owner.
    Having the "hardware" is like saying a bigger motor wins the race - it doesn't work like that. Apple is supposed to have a faster processor yet the z10 loads Web pages and games at a faster speed.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 12:28 AM

He has a point - iphone was cool when it came out. Apple pays/paid ppl to talk about the iPhone to catch attention and the marketing was done at a younger crowd. Most ppl are afraid to do something different from all the rest and certain gadgets do mean a better "status quo".

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 12:41 AM
    People, in my experience, are not smart in the least. I ask people this all the time they usually reply "my iPhone is better" when asked if they've tried something else almost 100% of the time they've never even tried anything else. They have no idea the features the BlackBerry has, yet they claim it is inferior. BlackBerry became popular due to people following a trend, BlackBerry was replaced by people following a new trend (apple), apple will eventually be replaced by people following the next trend.

No one likes to challenge the status quo, no one wants to be different, everyone wants to fit in.

It's not about the phone, stop pretending it is, it's about the image.

Posted via CB10
    also had that experience. Funny thing is - when you ask them the details as to "why" - they can't answer 99% of the time.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 12:44 AM
    The Z10 takes a better photo by far))) I prove that every time with my partner who holds an iPhone 5.
    ...are you sure about that? that's one of the features a z10 lacks is its picture taking capability. The slightest movement creates a slightly blurred pic on this z10.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 12:46 AM
    BBRY doesn't sell because as-is, it is not making devices that are compelling enough for enough people. Image might have something to do with it, but that is BBRY's fault.

And why do you think most people do not use the best devices for them? There seems to me a sentiment that people don't know about BB10. That's definitely not true in my small sphere of influence. It just doesn't provide enough incentive for people to change. They know about the OS, even enjoy it, but cannot get some tasks done with the OS.

I think people are more concerned with productivity -- in whatever way they may define it -- than you give them credit for.
    So companies spend millions upon billions of dollars researching trends for no apparent reason then?

I said in the beginning most people I ask BY FAR don't care if their phone is good for them or not, they're just happy to look like everyone ekse. Why do you think I messages show up blue? Do you really need to know you're texting another iPhone? Take my brother for instance, thinks my BlackBerry is awesome, I offered to GIVE him my q10 to replace his 4s and he said no bc no one else he knows uses BlackBerry and bc he DOESN'T WANT TO LOSE THE BLUE BUBBLE FOR IMEESAGES. He wants everyone to know he has an iPhone because he wants to fit in.

I'm not saying one phone is better than another in personally think you could pick up almost any smart phone on today's market and do just fine, regardless of who you are and what you're trying to do. But people don't even look for what their preferences are. They walk into the store and buy what everyone else has.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 12:49 AM
    also had that experience. Funny thing is - when you ask them the details as to "why" - they can't answer 99% of the time.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly.... no foundation to their arguments. most people can't even say they PREFER the iphone bc THEY HAVENT TRIED ANY OTHER OS.

If you've tried today's offerings and decide with a Ios, android, we, Web os, ubuntu whatever. I have no issue at all..... but if you dont...........

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 12:53 AM
    All it would take is having to use a Samsung Android phone for a week. I don't know how they sell so well when Touchwiz is such a poorly thought out, cluttered and confusing user interface. Sony's Android UI is probably the cleanest and most intuitive I've tried.

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 / 10.2.0.1803 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2
    Agree after a month with a android phone was ready for a change crashing messy interface etc
    01-16-14 01:10 AM
    My daughter has an iphone 5c and I think it's the apps...she used my Q10 the other day and said my phone sucked because she was looking for certain apps and it wasn't there...she screamed she would never get a Blackberry:-(

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 02:44 AM
133 1234 ...