I'm undecided. I may get the Bold touch, but I'm not yet sold on it. It was the phone I had been waiting for, but knowing that it will be a stop-gap os7 rather than QNX makes it less likely I will get it. However, my next new smartphone will have a full physical keyboard.

For now, my torch is just fine.
    06-19-11 09:04 PM
    LOL, yep, gotta love the dependability of the spinning clock and undelivered BBM messages. Oh and my favorite dependable BB email feature: "Message truncated due to size".
    You sir need to move to another platform so you can quit quoting the same thing in every thread. Hope whatever you get makes you happy.

After reading user reviews here on the os 7 bb's I'll make up my mind but seriously I really don't like iphone or apple for my own reasons and I think android has it share of buggy crap too. So that leaves win or hp, I'm sure they are both buggy yet also.

Which bugs will I be able to put up with?? I will see.
    06-19-11 09:22 PM
    Easy... my next device will be the next best thing to come out on AT&T or Sprint.

It will eventually be a BlackBerry when they release the Bold Touch.

I might actually get the EVO View 4G tablet. It's niceeee.
    06-19-11 11:57 PM
    I will wait for RIM's QNX-powered "super" phones. I have been highly impressed of the extremely demanding areas QNX has been used in (e.g. nuclear power plants, military tanks, enterprise-monitoring, jet planes etc). I have no doubt that RIM's QNX-powered "super" phones will be the new standard of smart phones once they arrive for retail.
    06-20-11 12:48 AM
    Rumor has it QNX phones won't hit until late 2012, so you should probaly not hold your breath and buy a new phone soon. If my contract was up and I was on Verizon, I would seriously consider that Bold Touch with OS7, thats just me though....
    Per last week's earnings call RIMM is expecting to release QNX around Jan/Feb, 2012, which is the end of their fiscal 2012 year (4Q12). Confusing, right? Their business calendar year goes from March 1 - Feb 28. March 1, 2011 was when their Fiscal 2012 began.

There was some confusion on the call but one financial analyst got one of the CEOs to confirm that they're projecting QNX to debut beginning of calendar 2012.
    06-20-11 05:52 PM
    iPhone

10char
    06-20-11 06:57 PM
    Although many believe Storm 9530 was a dud, I am a current user and satisfied with it. When my contract expires in 8 months, I will probably keep it and wait for QNX full touchscreen phone. Nevertheless I will test the upcoming Monaco/Monza phone.

I have tested Samsung WP7, iPhone 4 and various Android phones used by my friends. Of these platforms, WP7 is the best hands down in UI, brilliant in its simplicity and Xbox Live! iPhone 4 is constrained by that walled garden of King Jobs. I read somewhere on the internet, women love iPhone 4 (reliable user experience), men like to tinker and go with an Android.

I have an Android eReader. I have tested many Android phones. Here are the problems:
    1) Android Market will be hacked, security is a major concern as Google does not probably vet apps for malware. PSN type of hack will happen. Google got hacked in China!
    2) Here's the dirty secret: Android Market Apps are a hit and miss. Will work on some phones and not on others. This ruins the user experience. Open source means the wild west in app compatibility. Also a lot of apps are buggy with no quality control or phone hardware spec compatibility issue.
    3) Android phones have great hardware specs but this causes huge battery drain. BE PREPARED to purchase bigger battery or walk around with your charger.
    Also I have tested friends Honeycomb tablets (Iconia, Transformer, Galaxy 10.1), even with HC 3.1, all of these tablets suffer from erratic browser crashes. This is very surprising considering Google's Chrome browser has been out for years. Again this ruins the user experience.

For me. the phone is primarily for communication for which RIM excels at all levels: voice, sms, messenger, twitter, facebook, and push email. Next I am a news junkie with Reuters and Bloomberg apps. RIM excels at battery life in its BB phones.

To paraphrase Charlton Heston:
    I'll give you my Blackberry when you take it from my cold, dead hands
    06-20-11 07:35 PM
    When QNX comes out, I'll happily buy another BB.

It looks great on the Playbook and I expect it wil kick **** on a smartphone.

I'm using an Android for the time being, which has its good points for sure, but I'm really rooting for RIM to come back strong in 2012!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-11 07:42 PM
    I would like it to be a monaco or possibly a bold touch. My pos storm's battery is going out. Lasting like twenty minutes on YT on a full charge, can't really even hold phone calls without disconecting people and having it reboot. I hate this junk phone I own. I need a new phone bad and I really don't want to go android.
    06-20-11 11:19 PM
    I'm getting a 8530 from Virgin Mobile USA because it's only $35 a month for 300 minutes and unlimited internet.
    06-20-11 11:33 PM
    It'll be my second Android.
    Rim's success can be seen in the 52 week stock chart.
    06-21-11 09:38 AM
    After reading user reviews here on the os 7 bb's I'll make up my mind but seriously I really don't like iphone or apple for my own reasons and I think android has it share of buggy crap too. So that leaves win or hp, I'm sure they are both buggy yet also.
    That was a lucid, well thought out post

Which bugs will I be able to put up with?? I will see.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 06-21-11 at 11:23 AM.
    06-21-11 11:17 AM
    I have put a lot of thought into this (some may find this sad, but hey I don't care.) I don't want to leave BB.
    06-21-11 03:41 PM
    My contract on main line isn't up till FEB of 12', so I am sure I will see plenty of reviews on the new os7 devices and hoping some news will be close for some QNX phones and if close, I may just keep plugging away with my 9700 till then.

Now if it is like late 2012 and I get my testing on with the new os7 devices and no likey, then I imagine I would move on and back to Android.

I don't ever see myself going back to an iPhone....ever!

06-21-11 09:07 PM
    I will stick with blackberry as long as they offer a phone. I like they way they work.
    06-21-11 09:29 PM
    Looks like those of us on Verizon may have other factors occurring that could influence our decision. Now that Verizon is effectively raising prices on data usage with their tiered pricing plans (their minimum plan is the same price as their previous unlimited data plan), I now have to decide whether or not Verizon adds enough value in my area to justify staying with them vs going to another carrier entirely; If I do stay with Verizon, will they grandfather those of us with unlimited BIS plans? If current customers get grandfathered but lose the unlimited data plan if we switch to another platform like Android then I'd have to more seriously consider sticking it out with BlackBerry since I am 50/50 at this point.
    I was leaning towards taking a brief hiatus from BB to try Android for a year or two and see if BB can get themselves straightened out on the QNX OS.
    http://crackberry.com/verizon-wirele...plans-july-7th
    06-22-11 05:42 AM
    Hate to say it, but probably heading to a Droid 3
    06-22-11 03:15 PM
    For me. the phone is primarily for communication for which RIM excels at all levels: voice, sms, messenger, twitter, facebook, and push email. Next I am a news junkie with Reuters and Bloomberg apps. RIM excels at battery life in its BB phones.
    Android and iPhone both do push email just fine and without having to rely on BIS. The Bold keyboard is a big advantage for messaging though.

News apps are definitely better on iOS.
    06-23-11 07:46 AM
    Android and iPhone both do push email just fine and without having to rely on BIS. The Bold keyboard is a big advantage for messaging though.

News apps are definitely better on iOS.
    This argument that BB's are better for communication doesn't make much sense to me. My friends on other platforms have no complaints about their ability to communicate and if you want to compare Facebook, Twitter and other networking / news apps. I would have to say the BlackBerry version of those apps lags behind IMO.
    06-23-11 08:51 AM
    This argument that BB's are better for communication doesn't make much sense to me. My friends on other platforms have no complaints about their ability to communicate and if you want to compare Facebook, Twitter and other networking / news apps. I would have to say the BlackBerry version of those apps lags behind IMO.
    Everyone likes what they like. So great that your friends like their phones.

I love being able to type on my Pearl using one hand. The SureType is amazing for typing real words correctly with few errors, which is another thing I love about my phone.
    06-23-11 11:17 AM
    Everyone likes what they like. So great that your friends like their phones.

I love being able to type on my Pearl using one hand. The SureType is amazing for typing real words correctly with few errors, which is another thing I love about my phone.
    Yes SureType is good. I think you missed the point of my other post, it wasn't necessarily about my friends "liking" their phones, it was more about addressing a myth being asserted that BB's are somehow better for communication and I don't see that from asking users from other platforms about their experiences.
    Maybe this is different for businesses using BES but as a consumer user on BIS I fail to see much difference there other than possibly the BlackBerrys that have keyboards.
    06-23-11 12:40 PM
    Yes SureType is good. I think you missed the point of my other post, it wasn't necessarily about my friends "liking" their phones, it was more about addressing a myth being asserted that BB's are somehow better for communication and I don't see that from asking users from other platforms about their experiences.
    Maybe this is different for businesses using BES but as a consumer user on BIS I fail to see much difference there other than possibly the BlackBerrys that have keyboards.
    I didn't miss your point, I showed you that it is not a myth that BlackBerrys are excellent for communication. To ME. No myths involved.
    06-23-11 04:30 PM
    I didn't miss your point, I showed you that it is not a myth that BlackBerrys are excellent for communication. To ME. No myths involved.
    Ok, I don't disagree with you. I agree that BlackBerrys are excellent for communication in their own right. The myth I was referring to is that for BIS users especially, BlackBerrys are not appreciably better than other platforms when it comes to communication (save for the keyboard in some models) as it seems to be implied by many.
    Last edited by DrewDT; 06-24-11 at 07:01 AM.
    06-24-11 06:59 AM
    How about actually using it as a phone for communication? People still do that don't they? Maybe I am the only one.
    menaknow likes this.
    06-24-11 08:09 AM
    I can't wait to get my hands on a bold 9930. That thing will be a welcome upgrade from my aging 9550. Ill forever stick with blackberry as long as they don't get bought out. I'm really not interested in any other platform and never really have been.

06-24-11 08:40 AM
122 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD