• Shift the goalposts in some way

20 47.62%
  • Close the hardware unit

4 9.52%
  • Announce it has reached his profitability target

13 30.95%
  • Announce a dual-boot BB10 device running android in a hypervisor

5 11.90%
    If it wasn't for you pesky kids, I would have got away with it!
    JeepBB, TGR1 and Sigewif like this.
    09-21-16 03:36 AM
    Does the Rome exist?

Where do I buy one?

AFAIK, It's a "planned" device.... much like OS10.3.3 is a "planned" update.

Which plan will happen first I wonder?
    Evan Blass said the Priv would be Android, and he was right. He said in June there were going to be three devices, and so far he's pretty golden in terms of the rumoured specs and release dates. If BlackBerry exits hardware in the future, it won't be before they release another PKB - The Mercury. It's happening, unless the heat death of the universe comes early.
    anon(4243545) likes this.
    09-21-16 09:14 AM
    If it wasn't for you pesky kids, I would have got away with it!
    On the 27th: Chen sleeps in (big day tomorrow). Goes out for brunch with his wife and daughter, spends the afternoon revising his notes (We're so close on hardware, I'm not quite ready to give it up, etc). That evening catches a flight to Waterloo and as he nods off, he thinks about how much easier his life would be if he just stayed retired.

On the 28th: He waxes optimistic on the conference call about software, security, etc. On the after-earnings interview circuit, he talks to Amber Kanwar (for whom he's holding a secret crush), and in a misguided attempt to impress her, whips out the Mercury prototype and completely fumbles the reveal by swiping up from the bottom to wake it up.
    09-21-16 09:20 AM
    Evan Blass said the Priv would be Android, and he was right. He said in June there were going to be three devices, and so far he's pretty golden in terms of the rumoured specs and release dates. If BlackBerry exits hardware in the future, it won't be before they release another PKB - The Mercury. It's happening, unless the heat death of the universe comes early.
    As they say in financial circles, previous success is no guarantee of future success. Blass could be wrong, or he could be right and still be wrong if BB decides not to release the planned PKB device due to the design costs vs likely return. It becoming a "real" phone you can buy is currently far from something you could take to the bank.

Also, I'm starting to think the heat death of the universe might happen before 10.3.3 is released.
    kirson and StephanieMaks like this.
    09-21-16 09:50 AM
    As they say in financial circles, previous success is no guarantee of future success. Blass could be wrong, or he could be right and still be wrong if BB decides not to release the planned PKB device due to the design costs vs likely return. It becoming a "real" phone you can buy is currently far from something you could take to the bank.

Also, I'm starting to think the heat death of the universe might happen before 10.3.3 is released.
    Hah, well my money is on him being right that it was 100% a planned device. Personally, I believe the Argon / DTEK60 was the 'maybe' of the three planned devices as it's in the higher end of the spec pile without the niche appeal of a PKB. The fact that it seems to be going forward tells me that Chen is satisfied with the DTEK50 reception in enterprise circles. So that puts the Mercury in the definitely going to happen column for me.

I won't take the bet on whether 10.3.3 is released prior to the end of life, the universe and everything, lol.
    09-21-16 09:56 AM

While Evan's record is no doubt solid, BlackBerry's isn't. There's nothing certain about BlackBerry. Things happen. Things change. And dropping a device or two in the 11th hour isn't new for them. Not saying they have, just saying, no one should be surprised if they did and it's entirely possible lol.
    09-21-16 10:56 AM
    I can already see the goal posts shifting lol
    09-21-16 10:58 AM
    Who knows, I have learned with this company you have to wait and see.
    09-21-16 11:21 AM
    While Evan's record is no doubt solid, BlackBerry's isn't. There's nothing certain about BlackBerry. Things happen. Things change. And dropping a device or two in the 11th hour isn't new for them. Not saying they have, just saying, no one should be surprised if they did and it's entirely possible lol.
    I'm going to be gutted if they drop the PKB. I might have to pick up the Priv and learn to live with the flatter keyboard!
    09-21-16 11:26 AM
    Maybe pray together

what will Chen do on the 27th?-let_pray_chen.jpg

#soon, later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-21-16 11:36 AM
    What about the Rome? There is no existing pkb reference design that they can work off of. It will have to be BlackBerry's device.
    That's likely why we've heard very little about it lately. It's probably not going to happen. And will be just one more chenanigan...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-21-16 11:41 AM
    That's likely why we've heard very little about it lately. It's probably not going to happen. And will be just one more chenanigan...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Well it would seem the niche for a physical keyboard is even less then what I had imagined. That being the case, Blackberry may never be able to produce a cost-effective keyboard device for such a small group.
    09-21-16 11:45 AM
    In my opinion, he will delay OS 10.3.3 to the next year, and (vaguely) announce it will actually be the last security update for OS 10; then, after praising the software division (not without reason), he'll assert the hardware division is finally on its way to profitability, which he preconize will be reached before the end of 2017 fiscal year, thanks to the new two Android phones too; otherwise he'll ditch hardware forever (this time for real). He cannot truly say anything different.
    09-21-16 11:57 AM
    Well it would seem the niche for a physical keyboard is even less then what I had imagined. That being the case, Blackberry may never be able to produce a cost-effective keyboard device for such a small group.
    I think they have to release the Mercury, even if that's the last PKB. No doubt it'll be pricier than the DTEK50 / 60. Selfishly, I hope they do release it, and I hope it's successful enough to warrant continuing with PKB devices. Once again, I wish they'd at least do a web advertisement that really shows off the benefits of a touch capacitive PKB over all touch - message accuracy, trackpad and shortcuts / actions. I can't see how that wouldn't appeal to some people on all touch that simply aren't aware.

There's a recent Passport thread and I noted a few people mentioned that they came from iPhone to the Passport, as did I. It was the 'out there' design that attracted me at first, and then when I did my research the other benefits appealed to me even more. I dunno, that tells me that with the right awareness (marketing), it has potential for some growth.
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    09-21-16 12:02 PM
    I completely agree with Reaney, BlackBerry's last effort must include retaining its pkb users too. And, guys, the DTEK 60 leaked because BlackBerry made it on purpose this time: he knows pkb users will wait even for months for the probably last BlackBerry device, a physical keyboard one. I don't know if I'll buy the Mercury, given that I need a phone right now because of my Z10's death (regarding the price, I think it I'll cost more than the Dtek 50, less than the 60).
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    09-21-16 12:11 PM
    I say that sales of the Dtek50 are better than expected and the 60 is coming out soon and other Android powered BB's are in the works. He will not mention BB10 (since it is already dead)
    09-21-16 12:20 PM
    I say that sales of the Dtek50 are better than expected and the 60 is coming out soon and other Android powered BB's are in the works. He will not mention BB10 (since it is already dead)
    Maybe they're working with TCL on the Mercury as well. If they solidify the relationship, it can be beneficial for all involved parties by sharing the costs of manufacture, no? Seems the smart way to go in the saturated market.
    RobertP1 likes this.
    09-21-16 12:24 PM
    Maybe they're working with TCL on the Mercury as well. If they solidify the relationship, it can be beneficial for all involved parties by sharing the costs of manufacture, no? Seems the smart way to go in the saturated market.
    It might be just the relationship that BB needs to survive. I have had the Alcatel Idol 3 and loved it.. It could be a great fit
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    09-21-16 12:27 PM
    He's going to have a bottle of his favorite wine, all to himself, and do one helluva earnings call the next day on the 28th.
    09-21-16 06:28 PM
    Who knows, I have learned with this company you have to wait and see.
    Living on the edge.
    bakron1 likes this.
    09-21-16 06:48 PM
    Even having a phone ready is no promise of anything - I remember the Palm Pre team being at an event talking about the Pre 3 which was coming out later in the week, only to see on the internet that their boss has announced in the earning call he was pulling the plug...
    09-22-16 02:28 AM
    There are only a few possibilities here:

1) Chen will announce huge sale and more devices
    2) Chen will reveal struggling sales announce end of HW
    3) Chen will implode and everyone will get playbooked

��� вℓα�квєяяу ραѕѕρσят ѕιℓνєя є∂ιтιση ���
    09-22-16 02:36 AM
    There are only a few possibilities here:

1) Chen will announce huge sale and more devices
    2) Chen will reveal struggling sales announce end of HW
    3) Chen will implode and everyone will get playbooked

��� вℓα�квєяяу ραѕѕρσят ѕιℓνєя є∂ιтιση ���
    Chen will speak on his achievement on software side and boost how he made BlackBerry a software company.

On asking about Device, he will smile and say ' We RUN Google ' we have millions of loyal bb10 user base and we are committed to bb10', and we are the first Co. Which has secure Android and provide our customer a choice.

What else can we expect from him? Expecting truth from Chen is like expecting bb10 on playbook.

Posted via CB10
    anon(3983727) likes this.
    09-22-16 02:52 AM
    He will announce the BB10 Os update will be released in January 2017 + or - 12 months or so...

Posted via CB10
    09-26-16 04:46 PM
49 12