Now that it's official...

I know Troy and some other very knowledgeable people on CB have weighed in on this. I am curious for opinions on what BlackBerry now must do to stay OHA compliant.
    The OHA rules, ostensibly, will not allow BB to make a regular Android device, and one using a runtime or forked version of Android. But does this apply retroactively to devices and OS's, or does it only apply to future ones?

In other words -

Is the BB10 Android runtime safe for all currently existing devices? What about new ones? Will the next OS update remove it from ALL devices if you upgrade?

"Discuss amongst yourselves..."

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 04:26 PM

I know Troy and some other very knowledgeable people on CB have weighed in on this. I am curious for opinions on what BlackBerry now must do to stay OHA compliant.
    The OHA rules, ostensibly, will not allow BB to make a regular Android device, and one using a runtime or forked version of Android. But does this apply retroactively to devices and OS's, or does it only apply to future ones?

In other words -

Is the BB10 Android runtime safe for all currently existing devices? What about new ones? Will the next OS update remove it from ALL devices if you upgrade?

Posted via CB10
    Forget all the blabber about OHA, it means nothing.

The runtime will continue to exist as it is. Just don't expect any HUGE changes / improvements to it.
    10-07-15 04:31 PM
    Google has chosen not to enforce their non-fragmentation clause in the MADA contract that BB signed for the license to have Google apps/services on the Priv. It appears they are content to leave things as they are and let things die on the vine. I doubt continued development of the runtime or the runtime in new devices are in the future and as the next update, 10.3.3, in the spring is suppose to be only a security/maintenance release that seems to be the case.
    10-07-15 04:57 PM
    Interesting....

But if BB does release more OS10 devices, this will not be an issue...?

It's a longshot, but what if one became a hit, even a niche hit? Just curious.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 05:31 PM
    Interesting....

Posted via CB10
    Good question... :-)

�   Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)   �
    10-07-15 07:02 PM
    Well, it would suggest no more OS10. Or an old version wouldn't it?

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 07:25 PM
    Interesting....

JC stated in an interview that getting Android on BB phones was a lot more complicated than most people imagine - implying that there were some negotiations with Google that didn't go the way BB wanted them to go.

I have no inside knowledge of anything, but my educated opinion is that Google is content to let the runtime exist on existing BB10 devices as long as BB has agreed not to ship any new devices with an Android runtime. In other words, Google gave BB a clean slate going forward by ignoring past devices, but has limited any future devices.

Given the lack of commercial success of BB10, and investor fatigue over the low stock price, I suspect that BB10 development was going to be at an end anyway, but the Android licensing is likely to be the final nail in that coffin.

Sure, BB could still make Android-free BB10 phones for government/big enterprises that prioritize security over apps, and who knows? That could still happen if those companies feel they HAVE to have BB10, but I think it's more likely that BB will simply continue to sell from their existing stock for the next year or so.

Some of those enterprises will move to the Priv, and others will move to iOS (they may keep BES in both cases), and some will keep buying BB10 for the time being, but that doesn't mean that new BB10 devices are likely.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-07-15 07:44 PM
    JC stated in an interview that getting Android on BB phones was a lot more complicated than most people imagine - implying that there were some negotiations with Google that didn't go the way BB wanted them to go.

I have no inside knowledge of anything, but my educated opinion is that Google is content to let the runtime exist on existing BB10 devices as long as BB has agreed not to ship any new devices with an Android runtime. In other words, Google gave BB a clean slate going forward by ignoring past devices, but has limited any future devices.

Given the lack of commercial success of BB10, and investor fatigue over the low stock price, I suspect that BB10 development was going to be at an end anyway, but the Android licensing is likely to be the final nail in that coffin.

Sure, BB could still make Android-free BB10 phones for government/big enterprises that prioritize security over apps, and who knows? That could still happen if those companies feel they HAVE to have BB10, but I think it's more likely that BB will simply continue to sell from their existing stock for the next year or so.

Some of those enterprises will move to the Priv, and others will move to iOS (they may keep BES in both cases), and some will keep buying BB10 for the time being, but that doesn't mean that new BB10 devices are likely.
    I think the issue of getting Android on BlackBerry is the cost of driver development for different chips.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 07:53 PM
    I think the issue of getting Android on BlackBerry is the cost of driver development for different chips.

Posted via CB10
    The android drivers are provided by the component vendor.
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 10-07-15 at 11:00 PM.
    10-07-15 10:50 PM

Aha..so less chance for new device of BlackBerry 10, even if there is without the runtime or stuck at jelly bean.
    10-07-15 10:56 PM
    The android drivers are provided by the component vendor.
    Sorry, mis-spoke. I meant for OS10.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 05:53 AM

In other words -

Posted via CB10
    Official what? Where is this coming from? Link?

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 09:05 AM
    Official what? Where is this coming from? Link?

Posted via CB10
    I think OP is referring to PRIV running Android.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 11:18 AM
    The runtime will exist as is because BlackBerry no longer makes BB10 phones. Even with the strictest OHA rules, it applies to OEMs that manufacture a non-compliant Android capable device. Since BlackBerry has stopped manufacturing BB10 devices, they are now in the clear of any requirements.
    10-08-15 11:39 AM
    I hope that BlackBerry is not planning to abandon the 9900 format phones . I think there is still a viable market for an updated "iconic" BlackBerry phone running the Android OS. They will not be making any new BB10 versions. Personally, I think that the Enterprise market is a bit of a myth. If BES is any good, it should be securing Android and iOS phones as well as they do BB10 phones. If the cost of making a BB10 phone are currently too high then after BB10 is mothballed the cost of a new BB10 device would be much too high. I am not sure why anyone would want to buy a current BB10 device at this time - unless it was heavily discounted.

Like to see the Passport as an Android Tablet with and without LTE however the BlackBerry that I am most interested in would not have a PKB.

Why did BlackBerry come out with a new Passport version knowing that ...
    Q10Bold likes this.
    10-08-15 11:45 AM
    I think OP is referring to PRIV running Android.

Posted via CB10
    Oh, okay.

The way it was worded, it sounded like something new was just announced today or something.

I mean, do we actually know that BlackBerry is now part of the OHA? There seems to be some conflicting ideas on that particular detail.

That's what I thought was announced.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 12:10 PM
    I hope that BlackBerry is not planning to abandon the 9900 format phones . I think there is still a viable market for an updated "iconic" BlackBerry phone running the Android OS. They will not be making any new BB10 versions. Personally, I think that the Enterprise market is a bit of a myth. If BES is any good, it should be securing Android and iOS phones as well as they do BB10 phones. If the cost of making a BB10 phone are currently too high then after BB10 is mothballed the cost of a new BB10 device would be much too high. I am not sure why anyone would want to buy a current BB10 device at this time - unless it was heavily discounted.

Like to see the Passport as an Android Tablet with and without LTE however the BlackBerry that I am most interested in would not have a PKB.

Why did BlackBerry come out with a new Passport version knowing that ...
    Its just like the PlayBook!!!

#playbookdisaster2

Posted via PP
    10-08-15 03:53 PM

In other words -

Posted via CB10
    Safe.... I don't know to be honest, these security venerability that they find in the Android code from time to time. While the Runtime is kinda "sandboxed" it does have a lot of access.

New Ones... Chen wouldn't answer the question about new BB10 devcie, so most likly there aren't any to worry about.

Remove the Runtime.... no they won't do that, it will be on your BB10 device as it is for how ever long you want to keep it.
    10-08-15 04:01 PM
    You would think that BlackBerry should be telling investors whether they have joined the OHA. Don't they need that to be certified for Google?

A year ago Chen was promoting the Classic as THE solution that was DEMANDED by Enterprise. Why not an Android Classic?

Chen wants to get out of handsets ASAP.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-15 05:16 PM
    BB is not listed as an allience member.: Alliance Members | Open Handset Alliance With the case going against Google Google charged with monopoly abuse - Telegraph you'd think that Big G might loosen the rains on a no threat like BlackBerry,- As long as it doesn't damage their overall case...
    10-08-15 05:37 PM
    You would think that BlackBerry should be telling investors whether they have joined the OHA. Don't they need that to be certified for Google?
    Just a guess here: Until the Priv is actually for sale, they are not in the OHA. But if, as we have every reason to believe, Priv is a near-stock Android device with Google Play Services, I don't see how they can avoid being in the OHA.

As far as the BB10 Android runtime is concerned, it's already two versions behind. That in itself is a sign that BlackBerry has no intention of trying to keep it current as Android apps are updated. As Android and Google Play Services move forward, the runtime will become increasingly irrelevant, and I'm sure Google is happy to leave it at that. It's not as though the runtime, or even Snap and Cobalt's work, are costing them significant numbers of full Android installations. They don't have to do anything overtly aggressive.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-08-15 05:59 PM