Yes, when I said BB10, I'm referring to the L, and N series.

Haha as for the bbming comment, I mean on my Torch of course. I'm still 50/50 on which one.
    12-11-12 09:36 AM
    So, did you completely miss the miss point or what?..

The fact is, the original galaxy note first debut in November 2011. So in a one year time span both that device and it's successor has sold/shipped 15m units. Yeah, consider the device a niche by your own definition of the term, but If anything those numbers goes against any notion that it's a "fad". This is all considering the note2 has only been available for a month in the U.S. as of that writing.

If there is space in the market for the note to have its own segement as you say, and thrive (by any analytical outlook), then how is it a fad at all? I wouldn't even consider it even a niche, but that's just by my own perspective of what a niche is.

You don't call something relatively recently popular a fad just because you lack the perspective of its benefits. No. Instead you call something a fad because you have evidence of its popularity winding down, which you don't have. Quite the contrary the note series of devices are selling well, and have no indication of slowing down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    I didn't use the word fad, I used niche. You are lumping me in with another poster's post that is not my words. RIM is basically a niche too with the QWERTY/business market at this point, and BBM and cheaper data plans in developing countries. They are trying to get a mainstream, competitive devices successfully to market and building off that success. Right now the sales of other Samsung devices and iPhones dwarf Note/Note2 sales. RIM needs to focus on the mainstream market right now, and then address niche devices like Note/Note2 when/if RIM gets back to glory days, or if the niche becomes truly mainstream. If Note/Note2 sales were surpassing GS3 or iPhone sales, and/or if business customers were overwhelmingly asking for that type of device, then I'm sure RIM, and Apple would be looking to throw competing products to market.

Question...if the Note is a fad shipping at 15 million, then what is the Playbook? How many units shipped?

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    RIM used the Playbook to get QNX fielded and tested, and build a developer base towards the eventual phones. It was a huge implementation and marketing blunder and the device was released at least 8 months too early. Plus they were going Air to begin with then to Cascades. Just a bunch of misteps that have led to delays in the BB10 phones getting here too. Thankfully they screwed the pooch and worked through this stuff with the Playbook and didn't put out phones with all the Playbook's flaws, and put them out before they were ready. Look at how many other manufacturers have tried to compete in the iPad market and no one has seen huge sales except maybe the Kindle Fire line, and they are using it more as an Amazon content device with an app market. We all know the Playbook wasn't a success, and that that some people feel that they got burnt by the device, but what does poor Playbook sales in an iPad market have to do with the market for a Note/Note2 type of device? Poor Playbook sales and market acceptance doesn't legitamize the market for a Note/Note2 size/type device, or prove that the market is big enough yet for other manufacturers to put a lot of effort into it. Plus if RIM can't be successful with the L, and eventually with the Aristo if/when it comes to fruition, then they definitely wouldn't be successful with Note/Note2 sized device running the same UI/OS.
    12-11-12 09:44 AM
    I didn't use the word fad, I used niche. You are lumping me in with another poster's post that is not my words. RIM is basically a niche too with the QWERTY/business market at this point, and BBM and cheaper data plans in developing countries. They are trying to get a mainstream, competitive devices successfully to market and building off that success. Right now the sales of other Samsung devices and iPhones dwarf Note/Note2 sales. RIM needs to focus on the mainstream market right now, and then address niche devices like Note/Note2 when/if RIM gets back to glory days, or if the niche becomes truly mainstream. If Note/Note2 sales were surpassing GS3 or iPhone sales, and/or if business customers were overwhelmingly asking for that type of device, then I'm sure RIM, and Apple would be looking to throw competing products to market.
    Your right. My apology. I mistook your post and his as the same for some reason.

But moving on, let's make clear what a niche actually is. If we're calling something a niche such as products that are even so wildly used and successful as qwerty bb devices, then good. In this case then we should be dividing any category of devices into their own niche in mind, such as any device that has a micro sd card slot, or devices that are made in various screen sizes, ect. Even the iPhone in this case should be considered its own niche, regardless the size of it. Because It certainly isn't made for everyone.

So yeah, with that considered the note has its niche. And so does everything else. These things shouldn't be used to undermine its success just because its own market of users isn't as big as another's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    12-11-12 10:48 AM
    I was all about the GN2 until the rumours of a Galaxy Note 7" appeared online...now what??
    BB10 doesn't compete with note 2 because they compete on different fronts, in my opinion
    12-11-12 06:51 PM
    What is this Topic about? BlackBerry's and Samsung are two different Markets. Yes, that as obvious as saying iOS and Android are two different Markets. Clearly the Note 2 is an amazing phone, you either want to buy it or wait and support the BB10 Device. They way I see it, is that you can wait for the BB10 to be announced and by that time I'm sure rumours of the SGSIV will come out by than. Or buy a SGSIII now and sell it for a different phone, if you get bored of it/not your cup of tea.

Than problem solved. RIM has lots to offer and Samsung has lots to offer, I don't think anyone in this forum can argue that.
    12-11-12 07:04 PM
    Despite being an interesting device, the question I've always had in my head when seeing a Note (be it the Note 1 or Note 2)....

Do you prefer a phone, or a MASSIVE device that looks stupid when you hold it to your ear?

Si.
    I use a nokia branded bluetooth headset for my n7000.
    I never hold it to my ear.
    12-11-12 07:15 PM
    I use a nokia branded bluetooth headset for my n7000.
    I never hold it to my ear.
    To that size criticism I give the same response I give to anyone who brings up the "BB isn't cool" argument.......I left high school more than a couple of years ago, I don't care about others' opinions about my phone, I use what I want....

If the Note had come in the same red as this phone, I would have gotten the Note....truly, it was love at first sight with this SGIII.

I already use a BT when driving so no big deal to use it with a Note.

Last edited by qbnkelt; 12-12-12 at 06:55 AM.
    jakie55 likes this.
    12-12-12 04:09 AM
    I have used a headset even back when I was using my 8830WE. One of the nice features about BB has been the ability to quickly take notes during a phone call. With the headset on, notes are easy to take. That has continued all the way through having the Tour, the Bold 9700 (that I'm still using), the Galaxy S, and currently on the Note 2. I've been using this setup so long that it feels odd holding any phone up to my ear.

One thing I love about the Note 2 is how easy it is to read on the thing. Text is easy to see, and images look really good. The Note 2 has a nice feature: during a phone call, take the S Pen out and a note pad opens up automatically. It's almost as easy as what I do on my BB.

One of the things that I like about the Dev Alpha is how sharp the screen is. It may not be as large as the Note 2, or even half of the current Android lineup, but the screen definitely looks great. After yesterday's update, the Dev Alpha screams. No lag. Easy to navigate. If this is a sign about what the release devices will do, it has a lot of promise.
    12-12-12 10:24 AM
    One thing I love about the Note 2 is how easy it is to read on the thing. Text is easy to see, and images look really good. The Note 2 has a nice feature: during a phone call, take the S Pen out and a note pad opens up automatically. It's almost as easy as what I do on my BB.
    That's something I would flippin' LOVE!
    12-12-12 10:44 AM
    Bbm voice is out now too. Free calling on wifi to any other blackberry on wifi
    Which is awesome and all - but what if you're like me and are the only person you know who actually has a Blackberry? Sad. I so want to have friends with BlackBerry. Lol
    12-12-12 02:01 PM
    Same with me. Forum friends and one Hugh Laurie doppelganger is all I have left on BBM.
    12-12-12 02:07 PM
    Same with me. Forum friends and one Hugh Laurie doppelganger is all I have left on BBM.
    I'm the opposite. Most of my friends are on BB. Those that aren't have older "dumb" phones, save my sister who has an android(galaxy ace q which broke, awaiting her GN2)
    12-12-12 04:21 PM
    Showing my age here but I saw someone using one the other day and it reminded me of Maxwell Smart talking into his shoe.
    They DID remake that movie recently with Steve Carell, haha. For me, the image is Zack Morris on his redonkulously big 80's phone
    12-12-12 08:50 PM
    The difference is that the Note doesn't offer anything innovative.

The iPhone, at the time, did.

The Note is a just a bigger screen with a stylus.

The iPhone was a full touch device, with no keyboard, that brought with it an ecosystem of media to be consumed in a new way that no one was doing on that scale.

The Note didn't/doesn't.
    I wouldn't say it offers nothing... I have never seen the multi-window split-screen until this device. Correct me if I'm wrong though
    12-12-12 08:53 PM
    To that size criticism I give the same response I give to anyone who brings up the "BB isn't cool" argument.......I left high school more than a couple of years ago, I don't care about others' opinions about my phone, I use what I want....

If the Note had come in the same red as this phone, I would have gotten the Note....truly, it was love at first sight with this SGIII.

I already use a BT when driving so no big deal to use it with a Note.

Truth is. I'm a Nokia Die Hard Fan.
    12-13-12 12:02 AM
    I'm due for a phone upgrade in early Jan and I've also been torn between a Note 2 or to wait for BB10 which I don't even know it's gonna arrive on my sunny shores. Truth is, I'm a fan of the keyboard but judging by the looks, I'll have to change with times if I wanna make full use of the current OS in the market, be in BB10, or DROID (even though I love my Macs, I'll never change to the iPhone. No, just no.)

Note 2 has sooooo many nice features not to mention the beautiful screen but BB10 is also shaping up nicely. However, I really need Whatsapp and Skype to be available at launch, as they are important communication tools for me.

Should I wait, or should I go ahead with getting the Note 2?
    12-25-12 12:16 PM
    I'm due for a phone upgrade in early Jan and I've also been torn between a Note 2 or to wait for BB10 which I don't even know it's gonna arrive on my sunny shores. Truth is, I'm a fan of the keyboard but judging by the looks, I'll have to change with times if I wanna make full use of the current OS in the market, be in BB10, or DROID (even though I love my Macs, I'll never change to the iPhone. No, just no.)

Note 2 has sooooo many nice features not to mention the beautiful screen but BB10 is also shaping up nicely. However, I really need Whatsapp and Skype to be available at launch, as they are important communication tools for me.

I got the Note 2 and have 1 more day to decide to keep it or not. It's a great phone, and I've had my Torch on PAYG with no credit, just for BBM and emailing. I have no problems with the Note 2, but I've been a BB user for 6-7 years and I'm used to it being my main phone. I dunno, I like this phone and like the look of BB10 devices. My iPhone I dunno what I'll do with once it's contract expires. iOS is good, but there isnt a huge difference between iPhone 4 and 5. Incremental updates right?
    12-25-12 03:04 PM
    In the last 2 years I have been carrying various Android devices alongside of my BB9900, I was spoiled by the stock jelly bean on Nexus phone and later went on to own S3 and a Note 2, both muddled by Samsung's changes in the core apps like email, calender, contacts, phone, launcher, that was a deal breaker for me and several inconsistencies with the stock and made me try several ROM's like CM10, AOKP etc..the bad part about the ROM's is element of doubt on security and the integrity of the person making the ROM, battery life, reliability and most devs either do it as a hobby or they constrained by the source code/drivers etc. I would have moved on to Nexus 4 but LTE is important for me.

One good reason I can give you why you need to buy a BB10 than a Samsung crap is:

Samsung makes money by selling hardware where as the Apple, RIM and Google benefit from having a huge ecosystem and hence will provide updates as long as the device can take it because they can extract money from their service offerings like their app stores etc. Samsung will never provide firmware updates diligently beyond 1 year from it's product hitting the market because Sammy will only make money by selling you new hardware, rest assured you may forget if you are counting on Android Key Lime Pie (or whatever the next one is) on your shinny Note2 or S3. The Samsung experience looks good for the first few days but latter you will owe not to own another sammy product because of their upgrade process.

Security - All the Note2's and International S3 have a giant security hole until Sammy fixes it and roll the update(yawn!..)

Security exploit opens Samsung Galaxy S III, Note II to attack, could let apps from Google Play write to Kernel

All these owes will end for me once BB10 hits the market, I am going to carry one phone and it will be Z10
    Last edited by sf49ers; 12-25-12 at 08:21 PM.
    12-25-12 08:10 PM
    In the last 2 years I have been carrying various Android devices alongside of my BB9900, I was spoiled by the stock jelly bean on Nexus phone and later went on to own S3 and a Note 2, both muddled by Samsung's changes in the core apps like email, calender, contacts, phone, launcher, that was a deal breaker for me and several inconsistencies with the stock and made me try several ROM's like CM10, AOKP etc..the bad part about the ROM's is element of doubt on security and the integrity of the person making the ROM, battery life, reliability and most devs either do it as a hobby or they constrained by the source code/drivers etc. I would have moved on to Nexus 4 but LTE is important for me.

One good reason I can give you why you need to buy a BB10 than a Samsung crap is:

Samsung makes money by selling hardware where as the Apple, RIM and Google benefit from having a huge ecosystem and hence will provide updates as long as the device can take it because they can extract money from their service offerings like their app stores etc. Samsung will never provide firmware updates diligently beyond 1 year from it's product hitting the market because Sammy will only make money by selling you new hardware, rest assured you may forget if you are counting on Android Key Lime Pie (or whatever the next one is) on your shinny Note2 or S3. The Samsung experience looks good for the first few days but latter you will owe not to own another sammy product because of their upgrade process.

Security - All the Note2's and International S3 have a giant security hole until Sammy fixes it and roll the update(yawn!..)

Security exploit opens Samsung Galaxy S III, Note II to attack, could let apps from Google Play write to Kernel

All these owes will end for me once BB10 hits the market, I am going to carry one phone and it will be Z10
    Lol! RIM has a huge ecosystem? Now that is news to me! As for updates..as far as I know, the GS2 has been updated ( or confirmed) for JB already. Now granted it might not see Key Lime, but by then the phone will be well over 2 years old. If you want a phone with lifetime updates, you'd be better going with Apple.

EDIT: Confirmed for Jan 2013 rollout http://m.christianpost.com/news/sams...n-2013--86740/ Considering JB never rolled out officially til the end of July 2012..6 months isnt THAT long for Samsung to throw their twist on it..especially considering the PB took over 10 months just to get native email and contacts.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Rickroller; 12-25-12 at 09:13 PM.
    Drew808 likes this.
    12-25-12 09:03 PM
    Lol! RIM has a huge ecosystem? Now that is news to me! As for updates..as far as I know, the GS2 has been updated ( or confirmed) for JB already. Now granted it might not see Key Lime, but by then the phone will be well over 2 years old. If you want a phone with lifetime updates, you'd be better going with Apple.

EDIT: Confirmed for Jan 2013 rollout http://m.christianpost.com/news/sams...n-2013--86740/ Considering JB never rolled out officially til the end of July 2012..6 months isnt THAT long for Samsung to throw their twist on it..especially considering the PB took over 10 months just to get native email and contacts.

lasttime I check RIM's app world made more money for the devs than the Google's Play Store and probably more than anybody else outthere when you consider their service offerings like BES, BIS etc..Sammy has the habit of giving upgrade date but only to to postpone by another year latter..if you are counting on that Jan date for S2..then good luck
    12-25-12 10:43 PM
    lasttime I check RIM's app world made more money for the devs than the Google's Play Store and probably more than anybody else outthere when you consider their service offerings like BES, BIS etc..Sammy has the habit of giving upgrade date but only to to postpone by another year latter..if you are counting on that Jan date for S2..then good luck
    What exactly does dev income have to do with ecosystem? Oh, thats right, nothing. App World is TERRIBLE in comparison to Google and iOS, and to try to suggest otherwise is discrediting yourself. I'm not sure when Samsung has ever postponed updates by over a year, but you don't become a force in the Android world without a reason, and thats customer satisfaction. I will also say that i have more faith in a timely Samsung update than i do in a RIM one.

12-25-12 11:48 PM
    Despite being an interesting device, the question I've always had in my head when seeing a Note (be it the Note 1 or Note 2)....

Do you prefer a phone, or a MASSIVE device that looks stupid when you hold it to your ear?

Si.
    These are my thoughts exactly! For the life of me I can not understand why someone would want such a huge device. In my opinion, this device is for entertainment and not so much for communication. The phone is the size of most people's palms or even a house phone for that matter. A smart "phone" is supposed to excel at being a "phone" and also it should be portable, and sleek. I think the Note II fails at these requirements.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-26-12 03:23 AM

If you need Skype and Whatsapp, you're better off getting the Note 2.
    12-26-12 03:30 AM
    These are my thoughts exactly! For the life of me I can not understand why someone would want such a huge device. In my opinion, this device is for entertainment and not so much for communication. The phone is the size of most people's palms or even a house phone for that matter. A smart "phone" is supposed to excel at being a "phone" and also it should be portable, and sleek. I think the Note II fails at these requirements.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Phones have changed from being only phones to being media consumption devices and micro computers. We purchase tickets, order food, plan trips, view documents, listen to music, watch videos ....and browse the web.

Anyone who doesn't want to hold the device can use a BT can put the device away.

I have small hands and this SGIII is perfectly balanced. I will jump on the SGIV which will be bigger than this.

I wonder what your reaction will be to the Aristo.

12-26-12 04:04 AM
    Just like with everything else having a big device is a compromise, you trade off multitasking for entertainment, and no, I don't mean multitasking on the device but life multitasking. I find people with big devices have to stop and give their phone their full attention, they have no chance of using it single handed while they perform other tasks or even something simple as holding a child's hand walking down the street while replying to a message.

This is most obvious when parents try to take photos of their children, it's quite comical sometimes lol, try holding a baby in one arm and take a photo with your Note with the other one.

PS, why do people think you can't do things with current blackberry's? I remember booking my return Eurotunel ticket in 2009 from my 8320 in Austria sitting on my bike outside a McDonalds (with one hand btw) while listening to music from it and while it kept sending my location every 30 minutes back home, connected via bluetooth to a Nokia gps receiver.

Yet now a 9900 is not good enough anymore with its "useless " browser and no apps. Please.
    12-26-12 05:36 AM
242 12345 ...