The information was gathered from OPEN WIFI CONNECTIONS. Not SECURED. All that stuff is privvy to the public if you don't use a password secured connection.
    It's still illegal to take it and they had machines build specifically to take it.
    12-26-12 02:20 PM
    It's still illegal to take it and they had machines build specifically to take it.
    Read my edit. And where does it say they had machines built specifically to take it? Again, for all we know it was software that was meant to search for open wifi connections and gathered more than it was designed to.
    12-26-12 02:22 PM
    Ahh no they didn't. Everything was from open wifi connections, not trying to hack secure connections. Again, not saying it was right, and according to what I've read it was collected unknowingly. For all we know it could've been a weird bug in a system that was just meant to look for open wifi connections and it just collected more than it was designed to.
    I'm not picking sides here but the "collected unknowingly" strikes as a bit off. Would they have actually stated that they knew about it when they are up against some serious allegations and resulting charges?
    12-26-12 02:23 PM
    I'm not picking sides here but the "collected unknowingly" strikes as a bit off. Would they have actually stated that they knew about it when they are up against some serious allegations and resulting charges?
    That's a very good question. And unfortunately I don't know if we'll ever know the answer to that unless someone at Google comes clean. Honestly I think it might've looked better on them if they said they had collected it knowingly, paid fines out the @$$, and agreed to be more closely scrutinized rather than just saying "Oh, that's odd. I wonder how that happened. Our bad." But like I suggested, it could've just been a weird coding error in equipment that was just meant to find an open wifi connection.
    12-26-12 02:27 PM
    That's a very good question. And unfortunately I don't know if we'll ever know the answer to that unless someone at Google comes clean. Honestly I think it might've looked better on them if they said they had collected it knowingly, paid fines out the @$$, and agreed to be more closely scrutinized rather than just saying "Oh, that's odd. I wonder how that happened. Our bad." But like I suggested, it could've just been a weird coding error in equipment that was just meant to find an open wifi connection.
    We never will. As for being better off or looking better to say "ya... we did it... sorry", no lawyer in his/her right mind, would advise his client to plead guilty to a charge if they thought there'd be a way to minimize consequence.
    12-26-12 02:36 PM
    We never will. As for being better off or looking better to say "ya... we did it... sorry", no lawyer in his/her right mind, would advise his client to plead guilty to a charge if they thought there'd be a way to minimize consequence.
    True, and there's just so many facts that we don't know. Like in my "gathering it because of a bug in a system used to find an open wifi connection" scenario, maybe they did know about it but they didn't know how to stop it or fix the bug but they did know about the data collection. Who knows.
    12-26-12 02:45 PM
    True, and there's just so many facts that we don't know. Like in my "gathering it because of a bug in a system used to find an open wifi connection" scenario, maybe they did know about it but they didn't know how to stop it or fix the bug but they did know about the data collection. Who knows.
    But we do know an engineer reported it in 2007 to management but they did nothing about it and the one who coded refuses to give evidence. I have no doubt in my mind it was planned from the very beginning.
    12-26-12 02:56 PM
    Bb protect does it.. Wifi password backup.. VAS are the key things that rim does differently than the market.. You can argue that BlackBerry does not have another platform to share with but this is again something which is best in class experience.. It's confirmed on bb10 and already works on BB ID so it's already available on the desktop manager. Smart export will allow to integrate bookmarks to the desktop. Which is windows 8 and you get them as tiles..

I would not suggest to buy the Note 2 as of now since there is a lot of competition coming through. The Note 2 is lower resolution than the S3 which itself is lower than bb10 full touch.. A +5 inch device needs full HD. The Ipad mini is coming with hd display.. I mean for the price of a Note 2 I can get Ipad hd with blackberry curve.. Easy combination with 3g and hotspot..

Otherwise you can get the s3 cheap and upgrade later next year..

But do this only if you want to miss the best BlackBerry experience..

What if you could use your personal computer with bridge.. Same way like it comes on your PlayBook.. So tethering is free.. No drm issues from device to device.. Or place to place.. You just need BBDM and you have all the stuff..

Note 2 stuff is just available on all Samsung.. You buy a cheap Samsung device and you can use AllShare.. But the problem is that it's one common app across all devices so you can only be as fast as the slowest link.. Bb10 will not face these issues.. So a bb10 handheld will give you more power than Samsung phones.. Not android system.

You cannot just buy note 2 for Android.. Nothing special.

Honestly buy the Bbten curve which will be reasonably priced.. Wait a bit and buy a 6in 1080p device.. You'll be happier..

For mod: I'm on pb browser.. The picture upload box says from computer.. Doesn't select the file..

In what ways could BB10 compete with Note 2?-vscreenshot_1356553045650_zpsdb59e6a8.jpg
    12-26-12 02:59 PM
    It's that guy again......
    pantlesspenguin and mikeo007 like this.
    12-26-12 03:05 PM
    Bonus pics!!

In what ways could BB10 compete with Note 2?-vscreenshot_1356556128996_zps727d16c7.jpg
    In what ways could BB10 compete with Note 2?-vscreenshot_1356556140226_zpsfea9f290.jpg
    12-26-12 03:13 PM
    I would not suggest to buy the Note 2 as of now since there is a lot of competition coming through. The Note 2 is lower resolution than the S3 which itself is lower than bb10 full touch.. A +5 inch device needs full HD.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vScreenshot_1356553045650_zpsdb59e6a8.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	129545
    The only reason it's lower resolution screen is because it's optimized for stylus touch. And reviews even say it is a very nice one at that..

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2
    12-26-12 03:15 PM
    Yes they did.

"The data included user names, passwords, telephone numbers, records of internet chats, bank details, medical information and information from dating sites."
    The information was gathered from OPEN WIFI CONNECTIONS. Not SECURED. All that stuff is privvy to the public if you don't use a password secured connection.

ETA: Here, read this open wifi disclaimer I just pulled: http://www.wilsonnc.org/wifidisclaimer/
    Foot, meet mouth. Hopefully you washed your feet today BD..

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2
    mikeo007 likes this.
    12-26-12 03:18 PM
    But we do know an engineer reported it in 2007 to management but they did nothing about it and the one who coded refuses to give evidence. I have no doubt in my mind it was planned from the very beginning.
    Correct, and there were strong but not conclusive indications Google executives lied and concealed the truth in the resulting investigations. However this thread has now been dragged so far off topic it deserves a new thread in it's own right.
    12-26-12 03:19 PM
    Rickroller, stylus for just 10-15% of the time.. HD screen is always.. And Note 2 is already semi-digital type..

The final comparison will be interesting..
    12-26-12 03:24 PM
    It's that guy again......
    How incredibly sad......
    mikeo007 likes this.
    12-26-12 03:27 PM
    Hey guys how do you prevent Google from taking your wifi passwords?
    12-26-12 03:27 PM
    If you guys can't resist the temptation to provoke...
    12-26-12 03:28 PM
242 ... 8910