Yes, you should get a bonus. In Korea you got a free Samsung key fob at certain locations.
    What is that actually? Need to know. Samsung key fob?
    12-26-12 12:31 PM
    The choice is clear...

If you want a secure brand-new leading-edge OS experience unlike anything out there, you go for BB10.

If you want Android you buy any number of numerous phones out there, including Note, they are just modifying Android or using stock builds from Google.

You are only married to your phone for a few years at a time. BB10 is completely different than any previous Blackberry OS, and while similar to the Playbook as far as some gestures, also includes many other features not found on it.

My advice:

If at all possible, WAIT until BB10 arrives and do a hands-on trial... Do not let your cell service provider carrier push an upgrade on you! They just want the sale or commit you to another 2-3 years of contract slavery! You threaten to move to another company if they don't wait and let you try BB10 in a few months. Then decide!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    aragone79 likes this.
    12-26-12 12:33 PM
    You're still not making any sense? Did Samsung force you to pay $700 for their phone? Did they offer you free apps of your choosing to entice you to buy? Do you honestly think RIM will be offering the most popular app they don't make for free just because you buy their phone?

Samsung doesn't own Swiftkey, nor do they license it. So why on earth should they give it to you for free.. When it has absolutely NOTHING to do with them?

And besides.. You can get pretty much ALL the functions from Swiftkey for free already.. So why are we having this conversation?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    RIM did. I have 3 or 4 premium apps that I get free when I purchase 9900 as compliment. And that's not RIM Product anyway.

Think about that. BeBuzz, at 2011, you need to pay it. But at Nov 2011, you can get it for free. Is this RIM native products?
    12-26-12 12:35 PM
    What is that actually? Need to know. Samsung key fob?
    It's a thing to hold your keys. Different places have different promotions. A really popular limited promo was a free car charger and car mount. There's always something, that's just in Korea though.
    12-26-12 12:40 PM
    RIM did. I have 3 or 4 premium apps that I get free when I purchase 9900 as compliment. And that's not RIM Product anyway.

Think about that. BeBuzz, at 2011, you need to pay it. But at Nov 2011, you can get it for free. Is this RIM native products?
    Wasn't that the apology for the 3 day outage?
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-26-12 12:42 PM
    RIM has always provided far more apps(made by RIM) and services out of the box at no extra cost: Social Networks, Instant Messengers, BB Maps, Travel, Protect, Social Feeds, Password Keeper, Memos, Tasks, BB News and so on, no extra cost.
    Far more apps? Why do people insist on comparing two things when they only know about the one thing?

You want to compare freebies?

Google: GMail, YouTube, Maps, Drive, Google+, Google Voice, Talk with voice and video, Hangouts, Currents, Reader, Calendar, Tasks, Google Now, Authenticator, Music (cloud based), Translate . And then there are some cool bonuses like Google Earth, Sky map, Goggles. I'm sure I missed a few.

The difference here is that many of those features are generally considered "best in class" and the things you listed are rather mundane in comparison. The same can be said for Apple's offerings but Apple has that amazing app ecosystem to compensate.

Samsung and other manufacturers get all those, plus their own value add-ons like the find my phone feature and the Allshare featrues.
    12-26-12 12:43 PM

Wasn't that period of free apps given as an apology for an outage? Or am I thinking of something different?

ETA: Roo beat me to it.
    12-26-12 12:44 PM
    Far more apps? Why do people insist on comparing two things when they only know about the one thing?

Google: GMail, YouTube, Maps, Drive, Google+, Google Voice, Talk with voice and video, Hangouts, Currents, Reader, Calendar, Tasks, Google Now, Authenticator, Music (cloud based), Translate . And then there are some cool bonuses like Google Earth, Sky map, Goggles. I'm sure I missed a few.

The difference here is that many of those features are generally considered "best in class" and the things you listed are rather mundane in comparison. The same can be said for Apple's offerings but Apple has that amazing app ecosystem to compensate.

Samsung and other manufacturers get all those, plus their own value add-ons like the find my phone feature and the Allshare featrues.
    I think all of that is going to fall on deaf ears. Google is evil, remember?
    12-26-12 12:47 PM

Those are all Google services not manufacturer features and did I mention I do not trust Google? Would you trust Google with a password keeper app? Not in your life.
    12-26-12 12:55 PM
    I think all of that is going to fall on deaf ears. Google is evil, remember?
    You mean Google is not? All evidence points otherwise.
    12-26-12 12:57 PM
    You mean Google is not? All evidence points otherwise.
    Remember when I told you MONTHS ago what Google was doing with their location based services and remembering all of your searches to integrate a streamlined personal assistant type experirence? That's exactly what they're doing now (no pun intended): Google
    12-26-12 01:00 PM
    Remember when I told you MONTHS ago what Google was doing with their location based services and remembering all of your searches to integrate a streamlined personal assistant type experirence? That's exactly what they're doing now (no pun intended): Google
    What they give you is not the problem, what they take is.

A friend was recently shocked to find out when he signed into his new Samsung Tab Google had his work wifi password and his tablet connected automatically. Some might think that's a feature, most will call it shocking breach of privacy.
    12-26-12 01:04 PM
    Google (while I use their entire range of apps and cloud) milks my data for every penny they can....

My inbox is scanned for keywords to help target ads while I am browsing in Chrome.

My search history, browser history, all of it milked to profile me for ads. Maps searches, Google Map app and Google Latitude tracks my movements, helping to target ads.

Documents, Youtube viewing, Blogger entries... All milked. I know they are milking it and therefore have consented to it. Anyone using any service these days is getting milked, not just by Google. It is commonplace, in return for "FREE" service... It is not free, advertisers are paying for it indirectly as that is how Google generates income.

However, add that to my phone as well... Not so sure if I want every aspect of my life being scanned by Google. And if you are in the Android camp and relying on Google for everything... Just know that your life is an open book, which it probably is anyways, but just be aware that now 1 company has all of it.

RIM does not generate their income from selling your information, and they have the top security, government-approved. Android is given out FREE by Google...so that as many phones as possible will be under the milking of Google... let us not kid ourselves.

12-26-12 01:06 PM

A friend was recently shocked to find out when he signed into his new Samsung Tab Google had his work wifi password and his tablet connected automatically. Some might think that's a feature, most will call it shocking breach of privacy.
    Then have your friend turn that feature off?? When you sign into a new wifi place, it gives you the option of connecting automatically whenever you're in range. Don't want to connect automatically unless you ask it to? Select no. My home wifi connects automatically. Starbucks wifi does not, for example.
    12-26-12 01:09 PM
    I'm posting this while balancing a penguin on my head and taking a drink. I also uploaded this to photobucket and linked it to this post. All with one hand.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...226_120904.jpg
    I LOVE YOU

I don't even CARE that I just woke up everybody by spurting Mountain Dew on my screen!!!!!
    12-26-12 01:11 PM
    I wish all you fools had a place to justify your love for Android. YUCK, It's like echoes of the Mazda... EWWWWWWWWWWW ONCE MORE I HEAR ANDROID

IM HAPPIER BANNED.
    Must be in hog heaven now.
    12-26-12 01:12 PM
    I've heard my friend complaining that gmail lags on his LG DROID. I hope this isn't the case for Samsung cause emails are extremely important for me due to work reasons....
    No lag here. Heh, life would be so simple if I didn't like Android too recently.
    12-26-12 01:14 PM
    Then have your friend turn that feature off?? When you sign into a new wifi place, it gives you the option of connecting automatically whenever you're in range. Don't want to connect automatically unless you ask it to? Select no. My home wifi connects automatically. Starbucks wifi does not, for example.
    I don't think I explained right, Google took his saved wifi settings from his Android phone and put them all on his new Android tablet when he set it up, all OTA. Which means Google has a database of WIFI networks and their Passwords. As soon as hi signed in with his Google account they were transfered to the tablet.
    12-26-12 01:14 PM
    Those are all Google services not manufacturer features and did I mention I do not trust Google? Would you trust Google with a password keeper app? Not in your life.
    So what if they are Google's and not the manufacturer's? The end user get to use them either way.

There's no arguing against paranoia, but here's another thing you may not realize. Users can configure their privacy options to whatever their comfortable with. Not comfortable with give your location? Don't want you web search history kept? Just opt out. Google doesn't have a password keeper app, just so you know, but they do have two-factor authentication now along with the nifty Authenticator app which Dropbox also uses. I could type in my Google password at an internet cafe and even if they have a keylogger, they still won't be able to access my account.

The thing is, if you choose to to boycott Google completely, you end up with a second-rate web experience. If I'm looking up the solution to a problem, I'm not going to use any other search engine unless I want to waste my time clicking through pages of links. If I boycotted YouTube videos, most of the sites on the Web will have gaping holes in them. If I want to reliably find a location, I'm not going to use Bing maps or whatever. So tell me, is this how you chose to live your online life?
    12-26-12 01:15 PM
    Google (while I use their entire range of apps and cloud) milks my data for every penny they can....

My inbox is scanned for keywords to help target ads while I am browsing in Chrome.

My search history, browser history, all of it milked to profile me for ads. Maps searches, Google Map app and Google Latitude tracks my movements, helping to target ads.

Documents, Youtube viewing, Blogger entries... All milked. I know they are milking it and therefore have consented to it. Anyone using any service these days is getting milked, not just by Google. It is commonplace, in return for "FREE" service... It is not free, advertisers are paying for it indirectly as that is how Google generates income.

However, add that to my phone as well... Not so sure if I want every aspect of my life being scanned by Google. And if you are in the Android camp and relying on Google for everything... Just know that your life is an open book, which it probably is anyways, but just be aware that now 1 company has all of it.

RIM does not generate their income from selling your information, and they have the top security, government-approved. Android is given out FREE by Google...so that as many phones as possible will be under the milking of Google... let us not kid ourselves.

The information is not necessarily "milked to advertisers." My Google Now figured I was driving to a spot ever day that I had not designated as home or work. It asked me if I wanted to save the location and get traffic alerts for it. If you have any emails coming to your gmail account with tracking information, that info gets placed into google now so you can check package tracking with one tap (with your consent of course, you can opt to get rid of that card). There are also cards for local area events depending on my location. A few days ago it showed the Chiefs game, holiday concerts, etc.
    12-26-12 01:16 PM
    I don't think I explained right, Google took his saved wifi settings from his Android phone and put them all on his new Android tablet when he set it up, all OTA. Which means Google has a database of WIFI networks and their Passwords. As soon as hi signed in with his Google account they were transfered to the tablet.
    Either your friend is lying or you are.
    12-26-12 01:17 PM
    Yeah it's this new fangled thing called information saved to the cloud. If he doesn't want certain networks to be saved, long press the network and select "forget" and it goes away. I had stuff like this on my old Sidekicks in 2007. When I popped my sim into a new Sidekick all of my old settings would transfer over.
    12-26-12 01:18 PM

then tell him to uncheck that option! i like the option to store my saved wifi points. If i did not want to store the wifi point then i would NOT check the option when i first connect.
    12-26-12 01:18 PM
    Again....choice.

Read the screen.

Comprehend options given.

React as desired.
    12-26-12 01:19 PM
    There's no arguing against paranoia, but here's another thing you may not realize. Users can configure their privacy options to whatever their comfortable with. Not comfortable with give your location? Don't want you web search history kept? Just opt out.
    Funny, I thought Google was found guilty and fined for ignoring all browsers privacy settings and collecting information with cookies and whatever else anyway.

That's right, Google cannot be trusted and there's a million examples as of why. They get caught time and time again.
    12-26-12 01:23 PM
242 ... 678910