BB10TH - Um....1) The Note 2 and SGS3 are *not* the same save for screen size. At all. 2) You *do* realize that the BB10 keyboard is licensed by SwiftKey...right??
    Yes, SwiftKey is licensed to RIM for BB10 but they worked together on it to come up with this specific keyboard. I read, and don't quote me on this, that the defining features available in the BB10 on screen keyboard, are patented by RIM.
    Last edited by cjcampbell; 12-26-12 at 11:23 AM.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-26-12 11:01 AM
    What he wants to say that we can't get the keyboard if we already spend such lot of money for a smartphone. We shall get it free from manufacturer as complement for purchasing their product. That's all about, that's the key.
    So basically anyone who spends money on a phone should get a lifetime of free apps? Got it So when BB10 comes out and people have to spend over $600 for half the device.. They too should expect free apps from everyone? No?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    What he wants to say that we can't get the keyboard if we already spend such lot of money for a smartphone. We shall get it free from manufacturer as complement for purchasing their product. That's all about, that's the key.
    Bro thanks but save it. I know they just want to derail the topic.
    How can you even say that e-mails are extremely important and then go with an Android device? E-mailing is a horrible experience on Android when compared to a BlackBerry. BlackBerry is the best at Native E-mail setup and inbox management, Contact management within e-mail, True back-up and not 'only sync'. Most importantly, fast and fluid. Contact management is a nightmare on Android which in return means communication slowdowns.. E-mailing is a laggy experience on all Androids. BlackBerry handheld + BB Desktop Manager + Windows Live Mail is the best e-mail tool undoubtedly. Afterall it's the sole reason everyone's stuck with a BlackBerry right?
    Both my work and personal emails are Google so I'm thinking that by going droid should be safe...

Truth to be told, the main draw holding me back is the awesome keyboard and whatever that's left of my loyalty to BB...
    12-26-12 11:02 AM
    Wow! If you compare Note2 to SGS3 (everything same on both, except screen size) then it's clear that size does not matter. Please relax.

Notafanboy - read the stuff in bold
    1. You already lost me with all of this.. You would take a day to setup all of this. Which is 24 hours.. Which means I am already 1440 minutes ahead and faster than you You think you would ever be able to regain that lost time?
    Gross exaggeration on the 24 hours, you are making up stuff on how difficult it is to set up. Here's how to gain back the time and much more. Let me give you just a couple of example - I can provide many more on request.

Example 1: I was just reading one of the threads today where a user was asking for a feature where you could disable the lock screen as needed. The scenario was where he was with friends, and he wanted to quickly show them some picture or whatever on the phone. But the password entry would slow everything down. I have a choice of seven different ways of unlocking the screen, including one where its just on all the time. This can be toggled with an NFC tag, or based on location. At home, I don't bother with the lockscreen. That's dozens of times a day, every day for two years, that I could save time.

Example 2: Didn't even have to install anything to get the benefits from this video, which saves time every day. These are activities that would take up two to ten times longer if you don't have the tech.

What do you mean? Email, Social Media, BBM, MVS, Gtalk, iM+, I'm sorry it doesn't do braille for you.
    Skype, Whatsapp. That's a couple of examples, I sure you can think of others.

Did you just gimme an Econ 101? Lemme give you a brainwave 101? Wake up. You are paying Samsung and you are paying Android your precious money. You should demand for nothing but the best. Swiftkey has nothing to do. They are just making more money at your expense.
    See that's Apple fanboys argument, they make itan article of faith that what Apple provides them is already the best, and therefore choice is irrelevant. As for me and with most consumers, they want choice. If I wanted to I could pay $3 for the best keyboard which saves me time every singe day. OTOH, no amount of money you could pay could give you, for example, Skype, Netflix or Swiftkey flow.
    12-26-12 11:03 AM
    So if Note 1&2 sold 15 million in total and it's VERY SUCCESSFUL.. then the BlackBerry Curve has sold +60mm .. How would you rate that in success?
    Extremely successful. The Curve line debuted in 2007 and it is now 2012. The Note line debuted in 2011.

Are you comparing 60 million over five and a half years with sales for a device that has been out two years? REALLY?!?!!
    12-26-12 11:03 AM
    Again.. You have no idea what you're talking about. When was the last time you used an android device? 2 years ago? The nonsense you're spouting sounds like rehashed misinformation commonly spread on this forum

Rickroller, Let me ask you 1.. Just 1 simple question.

Question 1 and only 1: I get lots of emails and some more.. I need to save important contacts.. But not from all emails. I use Recent Contact Management on my BlackBerry. I could not locate the same feature on my Android tab. Can you help me here? I don't think I would want to go into each individual e-mail and create or update contacts.
    12-26-12 11:04 AM
    The Note and phablets in general are not really that successful, still just a niche by any standards. In fact the Note is the only one that had any success at all.
    The Note 2 is a $700 phone that will sell about 5 million units in this quarter.... or about $3.5 billion in revenue terms, with a likely very high gross profit of over 50%. RIM's fiscal 3rd quarter saw entire revenues from all operations of about $2.7 billion. Hmmmmmmm......... I bet RIM wishes they had a device that was as unsuccessful as the Note 2.
    12-26-12 11:04 AM
    And regarding money... You are contributing to SwiftKey. Based on your typing inputs, Swiftkey collects data, trends and keywords which are implemented in the PRO version. Tell me you din't know that?
    ............It collects that stuff for its word prediction. How else do you expect a keyboard to figure that stuff out?

(edited because you answered my question above)
    12-26-12 11:05 AM
    So if Note 1&2 sold 15 million in total and it's VERY SUCCESSFUL.. then the BlackBerry Curve has sold +60mm .. How would you rate that in success?

My friend, I was giving an example, A key that is often used with a purpose. Windows key - Frequently used, Command key - frequently used. Settings key on a keyboard? That seems senseless.

And regarding money... You are contributing to SwiftKey. Based on your typing inputs, Swiftkey collects data, trends and keywords which are implemented in the PRO version. Tell me you din't know that?
    First off.. It doesn't collect data. It collects your typing trends and keywords yes.. To make it's predictive engine more personal. And second.. This is all available in the free version as well, so no, you do not need to spend money to gain the benefits of Swiftkey.

As far as Curve sales go.. I don't think anyone is disputing the success of the Curve line. They were RIMs bread and butter at throwing out cheap phones into emerging markets.

12-26-12 11:06 AM
    Bro thanks but save it. I know they just want to derail the topic.
    BIG difference between derailing a topic and clearing up BS. Want to stay on topic? Don't bring up BS. Simple.

ETA: And no by BS I *do not* mean obvious advantages of BB over Android. I mean the SEVERE overreaching and downright lies you think you need to tell to make BB seem better. BB has enough advantages of its own to tout. Overreaching and lying just makes you sound petty and desperate.
    12-26-12 11:09 AM
    Here's one definition of success, money. It's a good one too because that's how corporations usually like to measure this kind of thing. How much money has RIM made off selling $200 Curves for 5+ years? Samsung in the 15 months they've been selling the Note line, will have sold about 15 million units. 15 million units of $700 phones. That means a gross revenue of of about $10.5 billion. Gross profit off that $10.5 billion is probably in the $6 billion range. Now lets look at the Curve again. 60 million of $200 phones is about $12 billion in revenue. It's been well noted that the Curve line gives RIM very low gross profits.... basically, meaning much less than $6 billion in profits.

As for whether selling 60 million Curves is a success.... Nokia sold about 76 million mobile phones in the last quarter....... does that make Nokia more 20X more successful?
    notfanboy likes this.
    12-26-12 11:10 AM
    Yes, SwiftKey is licensed to RIM for BB10 but they worked with together on it to come up with this specific keyboard. I read, and don't quote me on this, that the defining features available in the BB10 on screen keyboard, are patented by RIM.
    Those defining features are simply the word placement of their predictive text. Placing it over the letters of the keys rather than above the keyboard. The "intuitive-ness" of the keyboard itself is the same.

pantlesspenguin and Drew808 like this.
    12-26-12 11:11 AM
    Well BB10Truth Hurts, for a person who just joined this month you have certainly jumped into the thick of things, no?
    Many happy returns!!!
    12-26-12 11:17 AM
    Those defining features are simply the word placement of their predictive text. Placing it over the letters of the keys rather than above the keyboard. The "intuitive-ness" of the keyboard itself is the same.
    At first I thought it was a cool idea to have the suggested words suggested words appearing beside the keys. More words to choose from compared to the three choices you normally get. However to take advantage of this feature you need to keep your thumb out of the line of sight floating them away from keyboard , which necessarily slows down your typing. The word flinging gesture is also demonstrably slower than the more common alternative. I am guessing a large number of users will not bother using this feature.

RIM should make the keyboard customizable, and give the user the choice of showing the suggested words overlaid on the keyboard, or on top of the keyboard.
    Last edited by notafanboy; 12-26-12 at 11:36 AM.
    12-26-12 11:19 AM
    Only addressing the above...

What bubbly pop ups? I get no such thing on my SGIII.
    My messages are displayed with the same look and feel as my desktop
    I use WhatsApp to communicate with friends as a choice and not because I need to. I have not experienced one single outage on Hotmail which is what I use as my personal email so there is no problem with reliability. And before we get high and mighty about reliability, let's not discuss October 2011.
    I'm on BES at work so I use BBM only to communicate brief "start meeting without me" messages. I do not rely on BBM for professional communications. On my personal BB, I have one contact. Given BB's erosion in market share and the droves of people who have left the platform, BBM is only useful for those who remain. Can't use a device specific platform unless there are others with whom to communicate. So that reliability goes out the window since there are so few users beyond my professional setting. On personal BB, one single solitary BBM connected loved one.....
    Those settings he mentioned are *choices* that users can make. Choices that come through the *availability of apps* to be able to *fully customise* a device to a user's liking. *Choice* by its very nature mean that it can be taken or not taken.
    I am a professional woman eight to nine hours a day average. The rest of my day I pursue non professional activities. I am not defined by the "professional woman" label; there is more to me than that. But while we are at it, there are plenty of professionals who are using Android and iOS devices.
    I'm sorry, I cannot use WhatsApp for work. It's really bad. BECAUSE - The second point I highlighted in your post - With BBM I can send INSTANT messages. I can ask people to make a MOVE NOW.. and When it goes R. I know the MOVE IS MADE> god.

I don't understand you. Just because YOU don't have anyone to use BBM with.. That automatically makes Whatsapp better? I have 65+ on my BBM and trust me no ones leaving. I have 400 contacts on my Whatsapp because they just practically stole my address book and honestly, I cannot even have an update or status message or a profile picture on WhatsApp without everyone knowing about it. So much for privacy.

We are not talking about what's useful or what's not. We are supposed to give unbiased opinions to the OP and let the OP decide for him/herself.. The unbiased opinion is that BBM is a better communication tool than WhatsApp so please save it.

Some very good points - Choice - Availability of Apps - Full Customization - User preference.

How do you define the validity of choice? Just because you have more than 1 you have choice? Case: You have Android stock keyboard, you have Swiftkey keyboard. Do you really have choice here?

Have you heard of System Utilities? Since when did a Calculator become an App? Or Calendar an App? Or even Email an App? Keep doing some 'app'app'app' and very soon you'll have to download the camera app, the phone dialing app, bluetooth app, sync app, backup app, memory app, app app,, lol most of it already on Android.

Full customization - I'm not interested so I will not discuss this with you. I use stock windows, Stock BB, Stock Android, Stock iOS. My car is also stock.

User preference - If one system really has any user preference - it's BlackBerry. With regards to email, communication, social media and networking.
    12-26-12 11:19 AM
    BB10TH - Um....1) The Note 2 and SGS3 are *not* the same save for screen size. At all. 2) You *do* realize that the BB10 keyboard is licensed by SwiftKey...right??
    Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III vs. Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100 - GSMArena.com I don't know if this link works but it's basically a comparison of SGS3 and Note 2 on gsmarena.com - I COULD NOT SEE ANYTHING DIFFERENT EXCEPT THE SCREEN SIZE. Please highlight some points.

2. Licensed? haha. Swiftkey is thankful to RIM.
    12-26-12 11:23 AM
    I don't understand you. Just because YOU don't have anyone to use BBM with.. That automatically makes Whatsapp better? I have 65+ on my BBM and trust me no ones leaving. I have 400 contacts on my Whatsapp because they just practically stole my address book and honestly, I cannot even have an update or status message or a profile picture on WhatsApp without everyone knowing about it. So much for privacy.
    Why have that many people in your phone book? Only my closest friends, family, and contacts have my number. I have more people on Facebook, and even then that's a smaller and more intimate number than many people have. So I have no problem putting a profile pick on Whatsapp because everyone in my list, you know, already knows what I look like.
    12-26-12 11:24 AM
    My 9700 is way too small now to use one handed, especially when I'm doing something else just because I've gotten used to larger phones over the past couple years. When I'm walking and BBM'ing, I actually have to stop to hammer out the message, and that's using two hands. I can type a lot better on my SGS3 while moving, again using two hands. Again, that's just what I've gotten used to so that's why I'm more efficient at it now.

I too have a HP laptop, and it feels like a friggin' tank and looks huge compared to what's out there now and it's only about a year old! I wish I had gone with something smaller, like around 13" instead of 15.4"
    I have a HP Mini with Beats Audio, great portable size and up to 10 hours battery life. Although I did make the mistake of loading W8 on it.
    12-26-12 11:25 AM
    Rickroller, Let me ask you 1.. Just 1 simple question.

Question 1 and only 1: I get lots of emails and some more.. I need to save important contacts.. But not from all emails. I use Recent Contact Management on my BlackBerry. I could not locate the same feature on my Android tab. Can you help me here? I don't think I would want to go into each individual e-mail and create or update contacts.
    Honestly I can't answer this as I have never needed this function so have never tried to solve it. I would think archiving the email as important or starring it would allow you to look back at it, but again, this is not something I've needed to use.

12-26-12 11:27 AM
    Well BB10Truth Hurts, for a person who just joined this month you have certainly jumped into the thick of things, no?
    Many happy returns!!!
    So this guys walks into the bar, makes trouble, and gets kicked out by the bouncer. The next day he puts on a fake moustache, goes back to the bar, and the bouncer throws him out again. The day after, he wears a wig and goes back to the bar and gets bounced again. And so it goes.
    Rickroller likes this.
    12-26-12 11:27 AM

some people never learn
    12-26-12 11:29 AM
    Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III vs. Samsung Galaxy Note II N7100 - GSMArena.com I don't know if this link works but it's basically a comparison of SGS3 and Note 2 on gsmarena.com - I COULD NOT SEE ANYTHING DIFFERENT EXCEPT THE SCREEN SIZE. Please highlight some points.

You clearly need to view some of the Note 2 multi taking videos to see a clear demonstration of the differences..

Can you open pdfs and sign them as documents and then email back on the GS3? Not as far as I know..

And Swiftkey is thankful to RIM? ROFL..

12-26-12 11:31 AM

I can't say for sure, as I've never used an Android device for any real period of time, but does the SwiftKey for them, keep track of where you habitually hit the key and adjust the field of recognition to accommodate you? For example, if I always hit the "D" a little to the right, the area for that key will shift slightly right to allow for my personal style and gain accuracy in my typing.
    12-26-12 11:33 AM

Off the top of my head, the Note shipped with JB, while the SGS3 got it in an update. The Note allows for out of the box split screen multitasking, while the 3 will be getting that in an update. There is a lot of added functionality that goes with the S Note app which is proprietary on the Note, while the SGS3 gets the watered down S Memo version. The S Pen opens up a lot of doors as well.

Swiftkey...is thankful...to RIM... Yeah you're going to have to explain this one.....
    12-26-12 11:33 AM
242 ... 45678 ...