The Note/Note 2 is a fad/bubble, however you want to look at it.

This is the 21st century. I want my damn holographic 3D projection display phone. I'll settle for that til we get telepathic communication.

Besides, according to Back to the Future 2, hover cars are suppose to be here in 2 years (2015).
    12-10-12 01:51 PM
    This link wants to have a word with you.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/pho...ldwide-1115197

Combined that with pervious model sales and your looking about 15 million or so, so far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    12-10-12 02:53 PM

This is the 21st century. I want my damn holographic 3D projection display phone. I'll settle for that til we get telepathic communication.

Besides, according to Back to the Future 2, hover cars are suppose to be here in 2 years (2015).
    Yup...most things that push the envelope get criticism.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    12-10-12 03:12 PM

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 sells 5 million worldwide | News | TechRadar

Combined that with pervious model sales and your looking about 15 million or so, so far.

It's a nice phablet. Not gonna say it's bad.

But if anything, that link just goes to show how many people have bought into the fad.

Yup...most things that push the envelope get criticism.

Ha, I'm not criticizing it. Just recognizing the fad.

Pushing the envelope? Uhh, its a bigger screen with stlyus input. Yeah... not really pushing the envelope. And it's not that I don't like the phone. Hey, I still own a Betamax somewhere...

The reality is most people who use the Note use it mainly as a tablet replacement. The stylus input is really a niche, which most people who have the Note will use just as much as iPhone 4S users used Siri, and then it'll become one of those "neat-o-features" to impress people with. The only people who will actually use that stylus input have dedicated equipment that better suit their need. It's more of something to doodle with, and again, something that will go the way of Siri.

What I'm excited/waiting for is something like that fan-made iPhone 5 leaked youtube video with the holographic imaging and keyboard. If we can have things like the Wii, xbox kinect that can turn movement into intelligent input; high density pixel screens that can sense over a thousand different types of pressure input, then we can (in the near future) build something like that fake fan made iPhone 5.

Think about it. Forget skyping or Face Time looking at screen. Why not a 3D project ala Princess Leia to Obi Wan in Star Wars.

Okay, I went off on a tangent...
    12-10-12 04:56 PM
    The note 2 is a model of phone. Bb10 is an operating system. The operating system could compete with the note 2 by making a similar sized piece of hardware with the OS on it.
    12-10-12 05:01 PM
    The note 2 is a model of phone. Bb10 is an operating system. The operating system could compete with the note 2 by making a similar sized piece of hardware with the OS on it.
    Yeah, I think at this point people interchange L Series (or whatever the phone is called) with BB10, since that's the only confirmed phone coming out at launch.

But true, it'd be more of TouchWhiz and BB10, and L Series and Note...
    12-10-12 05:04 PM
    You have to remember bb10 is going to have one of the best if not the best mobile browsers, and you'll actually be able to fit your phone into your pocket.
    12-10-12 05:43 PM
    Netflix is internet based, so it can be use via the browers with BB10 devices. An app is just for a different UI.
    Is this true? Are you able to do that currently with a dev device? I have not been able to do that on the PlayBook, and I understood it was because the PlayBook browser lacked SilverLight support. Will the BB10 browser be able to support it or as I understand it without SilverLight support it will not be able to support Netflix without an app.

I am not a small individual by any means, and I love the GNote 1. I am hoping to see the promised update that will bring some of the Note II functionality to my phone, I am especially hoping for the very same split screen multitasking poo pooed above. I can think of a lot of uses for it and if you look around there are some videos and pictures from forum members who have shown how you can use the split screen to great advantage. Not sure I understand this in and out paradigm of multitasking...(ok I am just having fun don't throw things at me). One of the nice things about the GNote, because the screen is bigger, the keyboard is bigger and I find I can tolerate the virtual keyboard better than I thought I would. The Note II has the very same SwiftKey engine underneath that you can get underneath the BB10, just a different approach, and now the Note II has the "best face" camera and it's a little familiar too - another feature I am hoping comes to the Note I.

Of course it won't have hub and flow and some of the coolness that RIM is hinting at that they are hiding for launch day. As many have said on this site, I don't expect that the competitors will sit there waiting on Jan 30th and will have some new hotness coming.

You can always rely on Peter Misek who said BB10 is better than any Android phone currently out there. If that's true it's gonna be one **** of a phone because there are some damn good Android phones out there already.
    12-10-12 06:14 PM
    I actually don't use Netflix, despite having 2 months free. I have other apps n such to watch things on, but I may get it. I do watch a lot of videos and stuff on my current iPhone 4 also. I do like keyboards haha, I'm always Facebooking, Tweeting, BBMing, Emailing daily. I take lots of pics and use Instagram too.
    Always BBMing? On your current iPhone4? Screen shot or it's not true!!!!!!
    12-10-12 07:51 PM
    It can compete by not being a brick that make you look dumb when you're talking on it, haha
    Showing my age here but I saw someone using one the other day and it reminded me of Maxwell Smart talking into his shoe.
    12-10-12 08:41 PM

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 sells 5 million worldwide | News | TechRadar

Did you read the article?

This doesn't mean 5 million people are using the Galaxy Note 2, though. Rather, Samsung is counting sales to retailers. In other words, more than 5 million devices have shipped to go on sale, with some of them sold, some of them still on the shelves.
    This is still a niche product.

As for the OP, the L series and the Note 2 are for two totally different targets audiences. The L is an iPhone/GS3/Lumia 920 competitor. Right now the Note has kind of defined a segment, and the segment isn't really big enough in sales for too many people to jump into yet. HTC is rumored to be working on a similar device.
    JR A likes this.
    12-10-12 09:16 PM
    I'm personally against the Note/Note2, because there is NO WAY i can type on it, i've asked the carrier to let me try it, so they did, i couldn't reach T/Y, G/H, V/B. that's a big deal, considering it was in portrait. So the way it can compete is by not being gigantic, i understand that some people want a large screen to view images/media on, but 5.5" is too much.
    12-10-12 09:20 PM
    Most people use a headset or earphones to talk on their phones, especially if it's a larger phone. It has the advantage of keeping the hands free. So it doesn't have to be held up to the ear at all. I've seen the Samsung Galaxy Note, it's beautiful. It's like a larger version of the S3.But I am enjoying rocking my amazing Samsung Galaxy SIII, especially with Jelly Bean. I just sold all 3 of my Blackberries on Ebay for very good prices. Still quite a demand for the older models.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    12-10-12 11:16 PM
    Netflix is internet based, so it can be use via the browers with BB10 devices. An app is just for a different UI.
    No, not quite that simple. As others have said, Netflix on a browser requires the Silverlight plugin, without it, you can't see anything. As of now, there is no Silverlight plugin for mobile browsers, not even for WP8. The Netflix apps access HTML5 content on Netflix' servers. Without the app, you can't access it, thus, you can't watch anything.
    12-11-12 01:05 AM
    Lots of people thought the iPhone was a fad too. You never know.

12-11-12 01:09 AM
    The difference is that the Note doesn't offer anything innovative.

The iPhone, at the time, did.

The Note is a just a bigger screen with a stylus.

The iPhone was a full touch device, with no keyboard, that brought with it an ecosystem of media to be consumed in a new way that no one was doing on that scale.

The Note didn't/doesn't.
    12-11-12 02:06 AM
    The difference is that the Note doesn't offer anything innovative.
    Form factor itself is innovative. How many times have we heard the phrase... "the iPad isn't anything new, it's just a big iPod Touch." I believe the iPad has proven itself to be more than just a passing fad.

Granted, the Note isn't for everyone. I personally wouldn't opt for one given the wide variety of choices available in today's market and my preference for portability. It will never sell in the quantities of iPhone or iPad. That said, I can also easily see large numbers of people who would appreciate such a convergent device. It's small enough to stow in a jacket pocket, yet large enough to be easily legible. Certainly there are tradeoffs in such a device, but for some, the tradeoffs are worth it.
    12-11-12 02:40 AM

This doesn't mean 5 million people are using the Galaxy Note 2, though. Rather, Samsung is counting sales to retailers. In other words, more than 5 million devices have shipped to go on sale, with some of them sold, some of them still on the shelves

As for the OP, the L series and the Note 2 are for two totally different targets audiences. The L is an iPhone/GS3/Lumia 920 competitor. Right now the Note has kind of defined a segment, and the segment isn't really big enough in sales for too many people to jump into yet. HTC is rumored to be working on a similar device.
    It may be true the Note 2 hasn't sold 5 million. But does anyone deny the original Note sold in excess of 10 million? The iPad in its first year sold about 20 million units. It may be a niche product, but it's a pretty big niche if it can sell 10 million its first year.
    12-11-12 02:54 AM
    The Note 2 is definitely a niche product. I actually have one and love the features. Since I'm getting older, my eyes don't like small screens anymore. With the Note 2, I don't have any issues seeing anything on the screen.

I've said many times, what would be perfect for me is if the PlayBook could make phone calls on its own. That could get me back to carrying just one device again. With it bridged to my 9700, it all goes everywhere with me, and I'm almost always wearing a headset when taking phone calls (usually so I can take notes at the same time). When used this way, it doesn't matter how big the screen is since it isn't being held up to the ear.
    12-11-12 03:12 AM
    It may be true the Note 2 hasn't sold 5 million. But does anyone deny the original Note sold in excess of 10 million? The iPad in its first year sold about 20 million units. It may be a niche product, but it's a pretty big niche if it can sell 10 million its first year.
    The two Notes should not be considered in isolation either when you also have things like the 4.8" GS3 selling really well, the market for over-sized phones is not a niche by this point.

It will be interesting to see how things progress in the market, it wouldn't surprise me if we see more distinct gap going forward, you'll get plenty of phones in the 4-4.5" range with most stuff bigger than that moving up to the 5" size rather than the intermediate ones like 4.7" which are not really comfortable for one-handed use while offering less room than a 5" model.
    12-11-12 03:22 AM
    But is it big enough yet for everyone to jump in? That is the question anyone considering developing a Note2 competition device has to consider. Right now the tablet market is still pretty niche outside of the iPad. You basically still have an iPad market, and a bunch of tablet makers hoping that their it becomes a tablet, and not just an iPad market. I think a tablet market beyond the iPad is slowly emerging, but it has been slow and their were/are a lot of failed attempts to bringing it to fruition.

I think that RIM is going to stay with either a one handed use phones, which would rule out a Note2 sized device for all but the Shaq sized people of the RIM using population, and will hopefully continue to provide a tablet offering and continue the companion capability. I only see a Note2 type offering from RIM if the market size for that type of device increases dramatically. or if many business customers tell RIM that is what they'd like for employees to have.
    12-11-12 07:24 AM

So, did you completely miss the miss point or what?..

The fact is, the original galaxy note first debut in November 2011. So in a one year time span both that device and it's successor has sold/shipped 15m units. Yeah, consider the device a niche by your own definition of the term, but If anything those numbers goes against any notion that it's a "fad". This is all considering the note2 has only been available for a month in the U.S. as of that writing.

If there is space in the market for the note to have its own segement as you say, and thrive (by any analytical outlook), then how is it a fad at all? I wouldn't even consider it even a niche, but that's just by my own perspective of what a niche is.

You don't call something relatively recently popular a fad just because you lack the perspective of its benefits. No. Instead you call something a fad because you have evidence of its popularity winding down, which you don't have. Quite the contrary the note series of devices are selling well, and have no indication of slowing down.

12-11-12 08:14 AM
    Question...if the Note is a fad shipping at 15 million, then what is the Playbook? How many units shipped?

12-11-12 08:34 AM
    Tablets aren't for serious contenders anyway. That is my opinion. Tablets are for beginners and people who aren't power users. You won't see someone like me using a Tablet to remote in and hammer away at the terminal to encrypt a zip file in Mac OS X because their crappy GUI doesn't allow you to encrypt. No, sir.
    OpelBlitz likes this.
    12-11-12 09:09 AM
    The real advantage is QNX. Real multitasking not a bunch on things on the front screen at one time. I switched away from phablets because even at that size their screens are still too restrictive for web viewing. I don't like having to scroll around a screen in order to navigate a web page. The 7" devices are far better suited for this.
    Please, you need to Youtube some multitasking videos for the Note II to see what it's really capable of. Having multiple apps open and USEABLE at the same time? Check. Being able to write an email AND check your contacts for a number at the same time? Check. Being able to watch a video AND play a game? Check. While BB10 might be able to have 8 "open apps" at the same time, unless they are useable together and not individually, then I don't consider that TRUE multitasking. Much like the PB, sure you can have a video playing while minimized, but you can't do anything else with it.

randall2580 likes this.
    12-11-12 09:24 AM
242 1234 ...