I was wondering if someone could enlighten me as to what an unlocked phone is? Thanks!
    08-23-09 10:31 PM
    It is a device which has been "unlocked" for use on another carrier, other than the one it is originally tied to. Also, CDMA devices need to be "unlocked" to run on a GSM network if you were, say, travelling overseas. It involves obtaining an unlock code, either from your carrier, or from a third party vendor of codes.
    08-23-09 10:35 PM
    Can a CDMA device which doesn't have a SIM card (like my Samsung Instinct) be unlocked to work on a European GSM network? I have someone to whom I would love to send this phone if it could only be made to work ...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-09 11:16 PM
    Can a CDMA device which doesn't have a SIM card (like my Samsung Instinct) be unlocked to work on a European GSM network? I have someone to whom I would love to send this phone if it could only be made to work ...

No. No SIM, no GSM functionality.
    08-23-09 11:17 PM
    Thank you.

08-24-09 12:10 AM
    Wait...do cdma phones even have sim card slots? I swear my friends verizon dumbphone doesn't have a sim card slot

08-24-09 12:34 AM
    Wait...do cdma phones even have sim card slots? I swear my friends verizon dumbphone doesn't have a sim card slot

The only Verizon phones to have sim cards are the World Devices that have both CDMA and GSM antenna aka the Storm, it can be unlocked to work on ATT and T-Mobile but its setup to work on Verizons CDMA network.
    08-24-09 12:52 AM
    I believe the majority of CDMA phones do not have SIM card slots. I know that the Tour does and the Storm. Not sure about any of the other phones.
    08-24-09 01:00 AM
    All the dedicated phones for CDMA don't have any sim card slots only the phones witch can support GSM and CDMA in same device.
    08-24-09 05:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD