I've had to educate myself on UMA over the past week. When I first got a wifi enabled BB, I thought "excellent, free unlimited calling". Not so. Here is a link as to what UMA is and why it's not free and likely never will be.

edge.arubanetworks.com/article/what-uma-and-should-you-care

Can't post links yet, so put in the h t t p etc.

The easiest way to digest this is to consider that UMA is simply another "antenna" or connection protocol. CDMA to Edge to 3G to UMA. They are all the same thing - just another way to connect to your carriers infrastructure allowing services to be delivered to your handset. UMA does not turn your device into a SIP voip device or a Skype phone.

What everyone really wants, is for someone to develope a Skype client for a wifi enabled BB.
    01-29-09 01:20 PM
    It's not supposed to be a SIP or Skype type of device. It's just another route into the carrier's network. However, it is invaluable to me since there are some places I go that have no cell service available, but they do have a wireless hotspot.
    02-17-09 07:45 AM
    I have the T-Mobile HotSpot (WiFi) calling ($10/month) and it is fantastic! ALL calls from my offices, home, Starbucks and any other place with an open WiFi are free (well free plus the $10 fee).

Nice thing is that the service includes WiFi service at HotSpots so you can have your laptop up and surfing while making 'free' calls and enjoying a slightly overpriced coffee.
    02-18-09 05:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD