Ok... Been around a while but don't really understand what topic to put where. Here's my question...

If this topic is here...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...canada-869705/

Why is this topic in here?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/rehab-o...berish-870109/

Each was written with a certain sense of irony and some humour intended, but one topic gets to live here...
    General BlackBerry Discussion - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

And the other one has to get moved to here...
    Rehab & Off-Topic Lounge - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Are there rules?
    I know that there is no favouritism, so there must be rules, right?
    Undbiter65 likes this.
    11-06-13 02:21 PM
    How long until this gets moved or deleted?

And you're right. Some stuff just doesn't make sense. Not just in this case.

"If you can't soar with the eagles then don't fly with the flock!" (BBM#18)
    11-06-13 02:24 PM
    Wow, don't think I should comment on this one....

(cough)

Feel it, Swipe it, Love it. BlackBerry Z10...
    11-06-13 02:30 PM
    Thread popularity mostly negates the importance of location in my experience...

I usually browse by newest posts, though.
    11-06-13 02:35 PM
    Some people have relegated other people to certain forums.

#IchooseBlackBerry10 (BB#25)
    11-06-13 02:41 PM
    Lawrence nailed it....... most people go on Newest Posts tbh, and popularity is just a matter of who you hook into the thread at the time! And where it gets put is matter of mood more than anything else.

One mod may think a topic is better suited in one place rather than another, they like to show solidarity though so even is another mod doesn't agree, they wont do much to rectify a previous rectification.

If you want something moved why dont you ask? Im sure they'll take it into consideration.
    11-06-13 02:53 PM
    Ok... Been around a while but don't really understand what topic to put where. Here's my question...

If this topic is here...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...canada-869705/

Why is this topic in here?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/rehab-o...berish-870109/

Each was written with a certain sense of irony and some humour intended, but one topic gets to live here...
    General BlackBerry Discussion - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

And the other one has to get moved to here...
    Rehab & Off-Topic Lounge - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Are there rules?
    I know that there is no favouritism, so there must be rules, right?
    My thread asked legitimate questions mixed with some humor. The other was gibberish judging by the title.
    11-06-13 02:53 PM
    Not for nothing but if the person who creates a thread includes the word "gibberish" in the title even they are acknowledging that it is not a serious conversation and are therefore making it fair game for relocation.

As to the larger point I'll let a current Moderator address that but I will say it is a tough job that does require some judgement calls of which I think the team, on balance, does a good job.
    11-06-13 02:57 PM
    Thread popularity mostly negates the importance of location in my experience...

I usually browse by newest posts, though.
    That's a fair POV. I guess different people use the site in different ways. I for one do not use that feature, but I understand what you mean.
    11-06-13 03:01 PM
    Lawrence nailed it....... most people go on Newest Posts tbh, and popularity is just a matter of who you hook into the thread at the time! And where it gets put is matter of mood more than anything else.

One mod may think a topic is better suited in one place rather than another, they like to show solidarity though so even is another mod doesn't agree, they wont do much to rectify a previous rectification.

If you want something moved why dont you ask? Im sure they'll take it into consideration.
    Mood? Interesting. The point is that one post got moved from its' original location. I do not wish to have anything moved. I just had a legitimate question based on a non biased observation. Simple really. You are insinuating that the location of a thread is fully subjective, and further, it is based on variables like who/which mod finds it, no?
    11-06-13 03:05 PM
    My thread asked legitimate questions mixed with some humor. The other was gibberish judging by the title.
    Well that is certainly subjective methinks good sir. I'm not knocking your thread at all BTW. It peed me off for about 3 seconds until I realized its humour and irony based on the American one, right?
    Seriously not trying to get myself in any hot water here. Never been banned and don't plan on it either.
    It's an honest question.
    11-06-13 03:09 PM
    Well that is certainly subjective methinks good sir. I'm not knocking your thread at all BTW. It peed me off for about 3 seconds until I realized its humour and irony based on the American one, right?
    Seriously not trying to get myself in any hot water here. Never been banned and don't plan on it either.
    It's an honest question.
    Fair enough
    11-06-13 03:13 PM
    Not for nothing but if the person who creates a thread includes the word "gibberish" in the title even they are acknowledging that it is not a serious conversation and are therefore making it fair game for relocation.

As to the larger point I'll let a current Moderator address that but I will say it is a tough job that does require some judgement calls of which I think the team, on balance, does a good job.
    AG, I get what you're saying. Maybe it's been pointed out previously and I missed it... Both these authors obviously have a different base and origin for their respective humour styles. I'm not going to get into why, it just is what it is. They both got their points across but in different ways.
    Maybe it's just me... I am a person who was born in America (California) and moved to Canada (BC) at an early age. I value both styles and enjoy many varied types of humour. It is now just dawning on me that not everyone does...
    Hmmm... reflection...
    BTW... not knocking mods either. I don't see a huge number of topics getting moved. I know what a tough and often thankless job it can be.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    11-06-13 03:17 PM
    You're right that both went for humor in different ways and at first blush it may look as if one was moved capriciously while the other remained untouched but again, including the word "gibberish" as part of the thread title kind of help make that decision I would think. Mind you, I am speaking from just my point of view.

It is a good question and a valid discussion though. I'm sure there are others who have asked the same just not in thread form.
    11-06-13 03:26 PM
    You're right that both went for humor in different ways and at first blush it may look as if one was moved capriciously while the other remained untouched but again, including the word "gibberish" kind of help make that decision I would think.

It is a good question and a valid discussion though. I'm sure there are others who have asked the same just not in thread form.
    Ahhh... and therein lies a possible further question... Should a single word in a title be a reason to move an entire thread?
    11-06-13 03:30 PM
    Ahhh... and therein lies a possible further question... Should a single word in a title be a reason to move an entire thread?
    Kind of. If I put a thread in General Discussions titled "{RUMOR} BlackBerry going Android", I'd expect it to be moved to News and Rumors. If I created a thread that contained the word "Review", "Humor", etc I'd not be all that surprised if they also got moved.

I guess the better (IMO) question really is what happens to threads that do not telegraph the content. That is where judgment comes in. No perfect formula I suppose.
    11-06-13 03:38 PM
    Kind of. If I put a thread in General Discussions titled "{RUMOR} BlackBerry going Android", I'd expect it to be moved to News and Rumors. If I created a thread that contained the word "Review", "Humor", etc I'd not be all that surprised if they also got moved.

I guess the better (IMO) question really is what happens to threads that do not telegraph the content. That is where judgment comes in. No perfect formula I suppose.
    News, or rumor, or rehab?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...tomers-870404/
    :>)
    :>P
    bradu1 likes this.
    11-06-13 03:48 PM

AG, I agree completely. The difficulty is this...

When I put the silly (I won't call it funny as obviously not everyone sees it that way, that's the way it works) posts up originally it was a reaction to just how miserable the boards had become at that time. Some people got it and ran with it as a way of letting off steam for them, others didn't and some were very offended and reported it to the mods. At that point the mods asked me to preface anything 'humourous' in the title or provide a warning in the post, particularly if it was dripping with sarcasm/satire which, I freely admit, is my style and how I express myself sometimes (but not all the time - like now!), so that people weren't misled and had a fair idea of what they were clicking on.

That's only fair to the mods - some of my stuff, particularly 'Hello, I'm From A Different Platform' was aimed fairly and squarely at those coming on here dancing around as if they owned the place when they haven't got a BB and had no intention of having one AND were calling their friends in too. The point hit home but in doing so I created a shed load of work for the mods as they were inundated. That's not fair on them so after that I have been most careful as you can see from my Thread history.

So, if I've put something against the thread title or beneath this was me attempting to follow forum rules. It's not a flag to move it!

So if you follow the rules as given should a thread be moved? I understand what you are saying as regards, for example, [RUMOUR] but often that is added to a title by a mod trying to flag what that thread is and attempting to give the poster the chance of the widest possible audience, as that's what you get in General Discussion, rather than shifting it willy nilly.

So, when I stick something up as '[Gibberish]' that's just me being honest. The style it was written in was! To my mind, you may feel differently, it doesn't detract from the content though and, from the posts and messages I've received since a fair few people enjoyed it.

The mods in this case, I suspect, gave that thread a fair crack until a person, or persons, inevitably hit the complain button, which was a shame as it seemed to be being enjoyed by many, and at that point they had no option. The problem is, once they shift it to Rehab the audience dwindles. And, let's be fair, that is what the complainers want and what the mods have to do in that circumstance. And then those people who'd like a bit of fun or an alternative view of events, shall, we say, may miss out as if they want a bit of CB news why would they go to Rehab?

I suppose, in the end, I'm saying, I don't post negative rubbish and God knows there has been too much of that in the past. Am I a bit controversial? Yep. But I'm not horrible, it's harmless fun designed to put a smile on peoples faces, that's all and, I won't lie, doing that makes me feel good too.

Do some people not like it? Yep, but I won't run anyone down for not liking what I do unless they get nasty. And do some people like what I say? They seem to judging by the posts, likes and thanks, otherwise I'd stop bothering. You might wish I did! That's fair enough.

So, am I being disruptive - hell no, not half as much as the BlackBerry haters we've seen on here recently. And am I on topic? Pretty much, which is why I would question why Rehab is the best place - if you look over there they seem to stick out like a sore thumb in a sea of Off Topic stuff (which includes my rant against Energy Saving Light Bulbs).

I dunno... what do you think? Isn't there room for us all?
    Undbiter65, ghundiraj and togarika like this.
    11-06-13 06:21 PM
    AG, I agree completely. The difficulty is this...

When I put the silly (I won't call it funny as obviously not everyone sees it that way, that's the way it works) posts up originally it was a reaction to just how miserable the boards had become at that time. Some people got it and ran with it as a way of letting off steam for them, others didn't and some were very offended and reported it to the mods. At that point the mods asked me to preface anything 'humourous' in the title or provide a warning in the post, particularly if it was dripping with sarcasm/satire which, I freely admit, is my style and how I express myself sometimes (but not all the time - like now!), so that people weren't misled and had a fair idea of what they were clicking on.

That's only fair to the mods - some of my stuff, particularly 'Hello, I'm From A Different Platform' was aimed fairly and squarely at those coming on here dancing around as if they owned the place when they haven't got a BB and had no intention of having one AND were calling their friends in too. The point hit home but in doing so I created a shed load of work for the mods as they were inundated. That's not fair on them so after that I have been most careful as you can see from my Thread history.

So, if I've put something against the thread title or beneath this was me attempting to follow forum rules. It's not a flag to move it!

So if you follow the rules as given should a thread be moved? I understand what you are saying as regards, for example, [RUMOUR] but often that is added to a title by a mod trying to flag what that thread is and attempting to give the poster the chance of the widest possible audience, as that's what you get in General Discussion, rather than shifting it willy nilly.

So, when I stick something up as '[Gibberish]' that's just me being honest. The style it was written in was! To my mind, you may feel differently, it doesn't detract from the content though and, from the posts and messages I've received since a fair few people enjoyed it.

The mods in this case, I suspect, gave that thread a fair crack until a person, or persons, inevitably hit the complain button, which was a shame as it seemed to be being enjoyed by many, and at that point they had no option. The problem is, once they shift it to Rehab the audience dwindles. And, let's be fair, that is what the complainers want and what the mods have to do in that circumstance. And then those people who'd like a bit of fun or an alternative view of events, shall, we say, may miss out as if they want a bit of CB news why would they go to Rehab?

I suppose, in the end, I'm saying, I don't post negative rubbish and God knows there has been too much of that in the past. Am I a bit controversial? Yep. But I'm not horrible, it's harmless fun designed to put a smile on peoples faces, that's all and, I won't lie, doing that makes me feel good too.

Do some people not like it? Yep, but I won't run anyone down for not liking what I do unless they get nasty. And do some people like what I say? They seem to judging by the posts, likes and thanks, otherwise I'd stop bothering. You might wish I did! That's fair enough.

So, am I being disruptive - hell no, not half as much as the BlackBerry haters we've seen on here recently. And am I on topic? Pretty much, which is why I would question why Rehab is the best place - if you look over there they seem to stick out like a sore thumb in a sea of Off Topic stuff (which includes my rant against Energy Saving Light Bulbs).

I dunno... what do you think? Isn't there room for us all?
    I disagree with you to a point BBB. In that the mods 'had no option'. Yes, they do have an option. Number one, this is a public forum, yet it's privately owned. They could simply tell the complainer to suck it up. Or do what happened when I reported one of our lovely posters that likes to blatantly insult other's intelligence, just do nothing and leave the offensive post there.

Sorry, this is an issue I have. These... what have we decided to call them now?... disruptive posters run in and cause all kind of damage, bash the enthusiasts, call out for the demise of BlackBerry and then claim, 'freedom of speech'. Yeah, if we were on the street, you're right, of course if we were face to face and not hidden under the anonymity of the Internet, we all know they would never be brave enough to make the comments they make. However, this is a privately owned forum, created for BlackBerry enthusiasts. Deleting someone that is only here to bash BlackBerry owners should not even be a question. It should just be done.

And shifting enthusiasts posts all around the forums so as not to offend those aliens among us? Well, that is the most laughable humor in these threads.

Undbiter65 and AnimalPak200 like this.
    11-06-13 06:37 PM
    I disagree with you to a point BBB. In that the mods 'had no option'. Yes, they do have an option. Number one, this is a public forum, yet it's privately owned. They could simply tell the complainer to suck it up. Or do what happened when I reported one of our lovely posters that likes to blatantly insult other's intelligence, just do nothing and leave the offensive post there.

Sorry, this is an issue I have. These... what have we decided to call them now?... disruptive posters run in and cause all kind of damage, bash the enthusiasts, call out for the demise of BlackBerry and then claim, 'freedom of speech'. Yeah, if we were on the street, you're right, of course if we were face to face and not hidden under the anonymity of the Internet, we all know they would never be brave enough to make the comments they make. However, this is a privately owned forum, created for BlackBerry enthusiasts. Deleting someone that is only here to bash BlackBerry owners should not even be a question. It should just be done.

And shifting enthusiasts posts all around the forums so as not to offend those aliens among us? Well, that is the most laughable humor in these threads.

Bloody stupid if you ask me. If it's related to BlackBerry in anyway, no matter how it was worded there is no reason to move it to Off Topic. At all. If people get offended by humor, then they should get off the Internet. BBB's post are some of the most positive I've seen here in a long time. Let him post where ever he wants. If it is Off Topic, then by all means move it. If not, let him be.

"If you can't soar with the eagles then don't fly with the flock!" (BBM#18)
    bradu1 and ghundiraj like this.
    11-06-13 06:46 PM
    Easy to complain about moderators. Those jokers should earn their salaries.
    11-06-13 06:50 PM
    I thought the message was made quite clear a few weeks ago that those odd humor posts would be kept to the off topic area. So the fact that the gibberish one was moved there seems to fall in line with what I thought was the rules. No?
    11-06-13 06:51 PM
    Who said bbb's thread was reported before it was moved?

What happens when you assume?
    11-06-13 06:53 PM
    I thought the message was made quite clear a few weeks ago that those odd humor posts would be kept to the off topic area. So the fact that the gibberish one was moved there seems to fall in line with what I thought was the rules. No?
    And in his farewell post, he was inundated with people stating how that was wrong, and told by most to continue posting. However he has kept his off topic posts to the off topic forum, making it a bit tough for me at least to keep up with them. This was on topic.

I'd have to reread the post, but I believe you were the only one that wasn't upset by the decision to move his humorous posts. I believe you said 'thank you' if I'm correct? I mean honestly, except for you, all the members I suspected to be the ones reporting him, all seemed rather upset by the outcome. Take from that what you will.

11-06-13 07:00 PM
    The passive-aggressive thing is hilarious to me. Forgive me if this sounds harsh.

I've been around these parts long enough to understand that we are valuable to this community, but not indispensable. On the flip side, CB is a great community, but the cool part is that it isn't mandatory. If I felt staffers were so biased against my freakin' internet stances, I'd go elsewhere.

Not long ago, I said something a little less than sweet (I know... so out of character) to a guy who I actually consider a friend, but who is renown for what I consider obstinacy. One of the mods took me to task, and we had an intense but productive discussion behind the scenes. Now, this poster had also said some unflattering stuff about the mod staff, and still received the benefit of protection that we all do. So even though I felt that most people would not have a problem with what I said, this mod took me to task because of the belief that everyone should be treated with respect... even those that insult what the mods do.

I know that factionalism is the "in-thing" now, and it is bear versus bulls 24/7. If moving threads around is the worst thing they do, I guess we are doing pretty good, especially for folks who volunteer to keep this mad house down with little thanks.

But that's just me.
    11-06-13 07:17 PM
100 123 ...