what sort of OS is on Justified's Q10?-screen-shot-2014-03-06-11.54.41-pm.png

I don't know if they bother to change the OS for those kind of close-up pictures (and if they do i can't see the benefit for Blackberry to put a device on a show without showing the real interface...), but i really hope the bell tools and trackpad return won't be as outdated and inelegant as those new icons on the screen...
    03-06-14 05:05 PM
    Looks like a mixture between BBOS 5 and 6, with a theme!

BlackBerry 101 - Help Channel
    03-06-14 05:10 PM
    It is routine for Hollywood to digitally replace the graphics on computers and cell phones. Sometimes the screens are running a custom-made animation/video that mimics the actual phone/OS screens, and sometimes it's totally custom. Many times, you see screens like this, where the font size has been greatly increased so that the viewer can see what's going on.

It's actually the exception, rather than the rule, to see an unaltered screen on a device.
    Mack Gans likes this.
    03-06-14 06:10 PM
    Thanks for the explanation.
    It kind of annihilates the product placement though if you swipe from the screen the user interface.
    And in our particular case the screen looks like what most people stayed with outdated BB7 experience may imagine as BB10 ... I find it particularly non productive as I figure a lot of people will remain with the impression Blackberry didn't change at all.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-14 06:59 PM
    Lol kind of funny that we pick up on this type of stuff. Very rarely is the OS of a phone that they show on a tv the actual os of the phone. Its usually replaced by something like the poster above said with large text so that people can see it. I honestly think a lot of people never pick up on it, but it always takes me out of the movie/tv show because I remember that everything is fake.
    03-06-14 08:54 PM
    This may not be "sponsored" product placement, where the company not only donates products to be used in the production, but also pays a fee to have them there.

A good example of sponsored product placement is the new Hawaii 5-O. Microsoft heavily sponsored the first couple seasons, and WinPhone OS, a custom (pre-tablet) Surface tabletop computer, and Microsoft product names were all over it. "Bing that" (to do a web search) and "upload it to the SkyDrive" were pieces of dialog obviously put into the show because of Microsoft's sponsorship dollars.

But most of the time, product placement is only about the physical object, and not about things like the OS or data on the screen. Producers will almost always do what is best for their production (i.e., for the storytelling), and not what's necessarily the best for the product.
    03-06-14 09:48 PM
    BTW, for people who are curious, you can see what I'm talking about. The first episode of this season's Homeland was released early, before the final visual effects were in place.

http://www.cinemablend.com/televisio...ine-58791.html

You can see in a couple of shots where the cell phone screens were blank or otherwise not what you would expect, along with text on the screen noting "visual effects missing". In the final version of the episode, the screens had definitely been replaced compared to the original shot, but you'd probably never know just by looking at the final shot, because it was done really well.

Remember: never take ANYTHING from the media at face value, because anything can be manipulated, and lots of stuff IS manipulated every day, even simple things like cell phone screens.
    spyeagle likes this.
    03-06-14 09:54 PM
    This may not be "sponsored" product placement, where the company not only donates products to be used in the production, but also pays a fee to have them there.

A good example of sponsored product placement is the new Hawaii 5-O. Microsoft heavily sponsored the first couple seasons, and WinPhone OS, a custom (pre-tablet) Surface tabletop computer, and Microsoft product names were all over it. "Bing that" (to do a web search) and "upload it to the SkyDrive" were pieces of dialog obviously put into the show because of Microsoft's sponsorship dollars.

But most of the time, product placement is only about the physical object, and not about things like the OS or data on the screen. Producers will almost always do what is best for their production (i.e., for the storytelling), and not what's necessarily the best for the product.
    Ugh, "Bing it!" just feels so unnatural.

Strangely, I doubt anyone paid anything to be on House of Cards, but BlackBerry OS, BlackBerry 10 and Windows Phone show up without any obfuscation. Probably out of some sense of realism.

One guy even restores his BlackBerry from a backup with BBDM onscreen.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-14 10:57 PM
    Ugh, "Bing it!" just feels so unnatural.
    Oh, it was painful all right.
    03-07-14 01:53 AM