I know what I'm talking about.
    Where can you set permissions for not getting access to your e-mails, text messages?

Considering photos - there are only 2 options: "Access to all" or "Access to none".
    Not to "only to the one you wanna share".
    Where are you getting that Facebook has access to your email and text messages?
    07-04-16 12:52 PM
    Because this is how Google generates money?
    Because that what their business is based on?
    No, Google's business is based on matching ads with people. They would be utterly foolish to undermine their own business by selling data. They aren't utterly foolish.
    TgeekB, LazyEvul and MC_A_DOT like this.
    07-04-16 12:55 PM
    No. Google collects data regarding your searches etc.
    Let's say you search on Google for "Blackberry Passport". Now let's say a company sells cases for the Passport. Google will place ads from this company on your web browser, etc. If you see it and are interested, you click on it and go to their website to purchase the case.
    Google did not sell or share your data to that company. They did not provide the company with your name, email address, credit card number, etc. You will do this, if you chose, when you visit the website.
    This is how I understand the Google business model. If they were selling your data they would have been out of business a long time ago.
    07-04-16 12:59 PM
    No, Google's business is based on matching ads with people. They would be utterly foolish to undermine their own business by selling data. They aren't utterly foolish.
    Thank you. The misinformation about Google on this site is unbelievable.
    07-04-16 01:01 PM
    Incorrect.

https://privacy.google.com/how-ads-work.html

Now, you can claim that they're lying, but it's kind of weird to have put that page up (and, at times, link it on the Google front page), but you'd think that they'd have lawyers who would look at that and say, "If we lie here, we leave ourselves open to being sued."

Or you can claim that there's no difference between selling Information and selling Attention, which makes any publication or medium that sells advertisements of any type( newpsapers, magazines, ad-supported- television, movies, etc...) similarly evil, and that Google is just better at it than most anyone.

Besides, information you can sell only once. Attention, you can sell over and over again.
    07-04-16 04:01 PM
    2.) Here is the difference for me, why I choose BlackBerry 10 over the other "usually suspects":
    When you use Android all your personal data will be uploaded to the Google servers and you gonna be part of their statistics. Your location (up to hundred times a day), pictures, web-behavior (your interests, online buying etc.), all you e-mails and your conversations gonna be part of their statistic etc. - all you do or even how you hold your device gonna be statistics.
    Maybe for good reasons to improve their services and technology, but also to sell this important data to others and you have no control where it goes.

<snip>

BlackBerry seems to be the last OS that lets you have control of your sensitive and personal data. But I wouldn't say that it's really thaaaaaaaaat more secure when it comes to IMAP handling etc. - but you have control about it.
    I guess you've never bothered to read the Terms Of Service for any of the BB products that you've used, have you? If you had, you'd have noticed that BlackBerry grants themselves access to all of the same info, and secures their rights to do things with that info. In fact, I'd bet if I blocked out the names, you wouldn't be able to tell the ToSs apart if I showed you Apple's, Google's, and BlackBerry's - because they are nearly identical.

Here's something even more interesting to consider:

If BB the company is sold, the new company will acquire all of that data, and will inherit the rights to do with it what they will. Of course, the same is true of Apple and Google, but I think we'd all agree that BB is far closer to being in danger of being sold than Apple or Google. And just because BB hasn't used an advertising model doesn't mean the company that buys them out won't.
    07-04-16 04:13 PM
    Sure no one knows for sure what is happening in the backgroud.
    But it's still a BIG difference if you use an Android device or BlackBerry device - the amount of data that is sent out differs a lot.
    That's the problem, no one know what happens in the background or the data sent. Till we know

No Shade Just Light!!! Silver Passport 10.3.2.2639
    07-04-16 04:35 PM
    That's very true.
    But it is a difference between what you share yourself or what has been shared because of "access to all".
    People should google their own "user name" and images as well. They might be surprised what and who turns up.
    07-04-16 04:48 PM
    What is security? Nothing more than protection for a miserable pile of secrets.
    But enough talk. Hack at you!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist with the title .
    07-04-16 09:18 PM
    What is Security?-tin_foil_hat.gif
    TgeekB and DrBoomBotz like this.
    07-05-16 02:50 AM
    I have had some exciting information after reading experienced members' opinions in this forum, thanks to these. When I explore my BB, it is quite easy to set each app's permission, but some will not able to operate if I don't allow those apps to be accessed some of my private information. That may be a problem if I accept those requirements.

Posted via BlackBerry
    07-05-16 04:32 AM
    My personal opinion to that is pretty simple:

1.) I really think iOS and Android a pretty secure as "OS alone" and the user is the "main-factor" when it comes to "insecurity itself" (Viruses, maleware etc.) - if you load anything from the web it's you responsibility. Same goes with security/privacy settings - many people either don't know or don't care about that.

2.) Here is the difference for me, why I choose BlackBerry 10 over the other "usually suspects":
    When you use Android all your personal data will be uploaded to the Google servers and you gonna be part of their statistics. Your location (up to hundred times a day), pictures, web-behavior (your interests, online buying etc.), all you e-mails and your conversations gonna be part of their statistic etc. - all you do or even how you hold your device gonna be statistics.
    Maybe for good reasons to improve their services and technology, but also to sell this important data to others and you have no control where it goes.
    Same goes for apps on Android and this time also iOS - they have access to lots of areas where you don't want them to have it. Facebook (especially Facebook Messenger), WhatsApp, Instagram, Twitter, SnapChat etc. they have access to almost everything I wrote above as Google has and you accept the terms of usage when you log in.
    I personally think that Google handles your data "more professional" than most apps - but you gonna be part of their data-mining. With the latest Android OS you get the ability to restrict some actions - but still Google itself gets all your data.

Some maybe laugh, because it may sound kinda "paranoid" - but you don't know what will happen 10-20 years from now.
    E.G. scenario:
    What happens if you have a son/daughter with a disability that can be cured pretty in a pretty early stage. While this time you take some pictures of your kid with your phone (pretty normal as a parent) - but all your data goes to any servers.
    Your kid grows up and wants to apply for a job - some big companies (already) search for information on the internet/social networks about people who wanna work there. What if someone is able to sell them private or medical data that are irrelevant now - but were a topic years ago?
    I know from Volkswagen that they already check in the "old fashioned way" family trees - if you come from an academic or a "worker family" - academic ones are preferred.

I know this is the a "worst case scenario" - but there are many ones we might can't imagine right now.
    And every little step to protect online privacy is important.

BlackBerry seems to be the last OS that lets you have control of your sensitive and personal data. But I wouldn't say that it's really thaaaaaaaaat more secure when it comes to IMAP handling etc. - but you have control about it.
    Very well said

Posted via Priv
    07-05-16 05:02 AM
    I'm sorry but you just don't know what you are talking about. You can turn off access to your photos in iOS plain and simple.
    Ditto this sentiment.

Access to the camera roll to view pictures for uploading IS NOT the same as uploading the pictures.

If it were, then this issue would also exist for BB10.
    07-05-16 06:39 AM
    Google does not sell your data. Why do people keep saying this?
    Because it's easier to think of Google as the enemy than consider the possibility that BlackBerry is their own worst enemy and architects of their demise.
    07-05-16 06:42 AM
    OP.... what is security?

Really depends on what you are looking for.

I have friends that live out in the country and they never lock their doors. I have a friend in an apartment with four locks on her front door and two lock types of locks on her windows, and the building has a managed entry, CCTV and intercoms.
    07-05-16 07:59 AM
    Very well said

Posted via Priv
    Except it isn't true.
    07-05-16 09:10 AM
    It comes down to this: who do you trust with your data? Google, Apple, or BlackBerry? I'd put BlackBerry at the top of that list.
    Slash82 likes this.
    07-05-16 10:44 AM
    What is Security?

Apparently not something to base your whole business outlook on it you want to sell smartphones in today's market.
    07-05-16 12:33 PM
    Apple vs. Google vs. Microsoft: which company handles your data better? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com this discussion has gone from security to data ... which I think this following thread is quite relevant ...
    07-05-16 12:38 PM
    I think too many people confuse "security" with "privacy". The two terms don't always mean the same thing.

So, in order to answer the OP, the real answer depends on what you are trying to secure, and from whom.
    07-05-16 02:33 PM
    Because it's easier to think of Google as the enemy than consider the possibility that BlackBerry is their own worst enemy and architects of their demise.
    I guess. There are certainly enough things to not like about Android (fragmentation, though I have read they are working on that) without lying. Maybe he's just misinformed, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
    07-05-16 04:25 PM
    BlackBerry has encryption software (AES and ECC encryption) which has been added to the Linux kernel in Android on the PRIV which doubles with BES. I have a whole pdf file that explains it in detail.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-06-16 01:02 AM
    TBH they sell anonym-ized data.
    But they do access personal data.
    07-06-16 03:19 AM
    Some people have bought the idea that BlackBerry have 'hardened' the Linux/Android kernel in their Priv to make it more secure.

'More secure' than what? Than other Android smartphones? Or just more secure than a comparatively less secure version of the kernel?

At the end of the day it's just 'yet another Android' with a pop out keyboard, neither more nor less secure than any other reasonably modern Android phone.
    07-06-16 06:18 AM
    Some people have bought the idea that BlackBerry have 'hardened' the Linux/Android kernel in their Priv to make it more secure.

'More secure' than what? Than other Android smartphones? Or just more secure than a comparatively less secure version of the kernel?

At the end of the day it's just 'yet another Android' with a pop out keyboard, neither more nor less secure than any other reasonably modern Android phone.
    Proof?
    07-06-16 10:06 AM
81 1234