All my friends are saying about blackberry is highly secure mobile and i have doubt about it what the secure features in blackberry and compare to the normal mobiles so clarify me what is the security
    07-04-16 04:53 AM
    The general consensus is it isn't. Normally, it is as secure as an Android or iOS device, unless you're on BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server). Try to read this articles / threads about the topic:

What ?Makes BlackBerry So Secure? Let?s Look at Five Fundamentals of Security | | Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...forms-1016875/

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...s-10-a-959771/

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...immick-989704/
    The general consensus is it isn't. Normally, it is as secure as an Android or iOS device, unless you're on BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server). Try to read this articles / threads about the topic:

What ?Makes BlackBerry So Secure? Let?s Look at Five Fundamentals of Security | | Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...forms-1016875/

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...s-10-a-959771/

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...immick-989704/
    BigBadWulf and BB-JAM215 like this.
    07-04-16 05:00 AM
    My personal opinion to that is pretty simple:

1.) I really think iOS and Android a pretty secure as "OS alone" and the user is the "main-factor" when it comes to "insecurity itself" (Viruses, maleware etc.) - if you load anything from the web it's you responsibility. Same goes with security/privacy settings - many people either don't know or don't care about that.

2.) Here is the difference for me, why I choose BlackBerry 10 over the other "usually suspects":
    When you use Android all your personal data will be uploaded to the Google servers and you gonna be part of their statistics. Your location (up to hundred times a day), pictures, web-behavior (your interests, online buying etc.), all you e-mails and your conversations gonna be part of their statistic etc. - all you do or even how you hold your device gonna be statistics.
    Maybe for good reasons to improve their services and technology, but also to sell this important data to others and you have no control where it goes.
    Same goes for apps on Android and this time also iOS - they have access to lots of areas where you don't want them to have it. Facebook (especially Facebook Messenger), WhatsApp, Instagram, Twitter, SnapChat etc. they have access to almost everything I wrote above as Google has and you accept the terms of usage when you log in.
    I personally think that Google handles your data "more professional" than most apps - but you gonna be part of their data-mining. With the latest Android OS you get the ability to restrict some actions - but still Google itself gets all your data.

Some maybe laugh, because it may sound kinda "paranoid" - but you don't know what will happen 10-20 years from now.
    E.G. scenario:
    What happens if you have a son/daughter with a disability that can be cured pretty in a pretty early stage. While this time you take some pictures of your kid with your phone (pretty normal as a parent) - but all your data goes to any servers.
    Your kid grows up and wants to apply for a job - some big companies (already) search for information on the internet/social networks about people who wanna work there. What if someone is able to sell them private or medical data that are irrelevant now - but were a topic years ago?
    I know from Volkswagen that they already check in the "old fashioned way" family trees - if you come from an academic or a "worker family" - academic ones are preferred.

I know this is the a "worst case scenario" - but there are many ones we might can't imagine right now.
    And every little step to protect online privacy is important.

BlackBerry seems to be the last OS that lets you have control of your sensitive and personal data. But I wouldn't say that it's really thaaaaaaaaat more secure when it comes to IMAP handling etc. - but you have control about it.
    rarsen, BigBadWulf, BB_PP and 2 others like this.
    07-04-16 06:13 AM

1.) I really think iOS and Android a pretty secure as "OS alone" and the user is the "main-factor" when it comes to "insecurity itself" (Viruses, maleware etc.) - if you load anything from the web it's you responsibility. Same goes with security/privacy settings - many people either don't know or don't care about that.

2.) Here is the difference for me, why I choose BlackBerry 10 over the other "usually suspects":
    When you use Android all your personal data will be uploaded to the Google servers and you gonna be part of their statistics. Your location (up to hundred times a day), pictures, web-behavior (your interests, online buying etc.), all you e-mails and your conversations gonna be part of their statistic etc. - all you do or even how you hold your device gonna be statistics.
    Maybe for good reasons to improve their services and technology, but also to sell this important data to others and you have no control where it goes.
    Same goes for apps on Android and this time also iOS - they have access to lots of areas where you don't want them to have it. Facebook (especially Facebook Messenger), WhatsApp, Instagram, Twitter, SnapChat etc. they have access to almost everything I wrote above as Google has and you accept the terms of usage when you log in.
    I personally think that Google handles your data "more professional" than most apps - but you gonna be part of their data-mining. With the latest Android OS you get the ability to restrict some actions - but still Google itself gets all your data.

Some maybe laugh, because it may sound kinda "paranoid" - but you don't know what will happen 10-20 years from now.
    E.G. scenario:
    What happens if you have a son/daughter with a disability that can be cured pretty in a pretty early stage. While this time you take some pictures of your kid with your phone (pretty normal as a parent) - but all your data goes to any servers.
    Your kid grows up and wants to apply for a job - some big companies (already) search for information on the internet/social networks about people who wanna work there. What if someone is able to sell them private or medical data that are irrelevant now - but were a topic years ago?
    I know from Volkswagen that they already check in the "old fashioned way" family trees - if you come from an academic or a "worker family" - academic ones are preferred.

I know this is the a "worst case scenario" - but there are many ones we might can't imagine right now.

BlackBerry seems to be the last OS that lets you have control of your sensitive and personal data. But I wouldn't say that it's really thaaaaaaaaat more secure when it comes to IMAP handling etc. - but you have control about it.
    Using a Blackberry with Facebook, Whatasapp, Twitter, etc doesn't make your information any more private than any other OS>
    07-04-16 06:19 AM
    Using a Blackberry with Facebook, Whatasapp, Twitter, etc doesn't make your information any more private than any other OS>
    It is.
    In the "security settings" you are able to see what those apps have access to and you can "block" the areas you don't want them to have access to.
    Also the Facebook and Twitter app were made by BlackBerry itself.
    rarsen likes this.
    07-04-16 06:27 AM
    BlackBerry seems to be the last OS that lets you have control of your sensitive and personal data.
    Until the NSA asks for it.
    07-04-16 06:28 AM
    Until the NSA asks for it.
    There is a difference between an organization like NSA "forces" the data from your device - than you send all you data to developers and others "for free".
    rarsen and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    07-04-16 06:32 AM
    I think of some of these things as privacy as well. Also, aren't BlackBerry phones difficult to root due to some unique things BlackBerry does or is that a thing of the past?

Posted via CB10
    07-04-16 10:00 AM
    It is.
    In the "security settings" you are able to see what those apps have access to and you can "block" the areas you don't want them to have access to.
    Twitter wasn't and Facebook is EOL.

Anyway, I can do that too:
    Attached Thumbnails What is Security?-1467644429031.jpg  
    07-04-16 10:00 AM
    It is.
    If you are putting your information out there, its out there. If you choose to use to upload information to facebook, twitter, etc then you are allowing them to use your information to do with what they want, they just can't get the information directly off of your device, but that's with any OS now. Once you put it out there, its out there. Having a Blackberry doesn't do anything except I guess give you the illusion that things you put on Facebook, etc are private.
    ronfc likes this.
    07-04-16 10:10 AM
    It is.
    This is the digital Era now, I believe your mistaken, these corps have work around even if their back door works or not. I'm sorry but information protection game is lost. People won't fight their practices or the laws that give them the ability to do this legally. Security is as of today a sham.

No Shade Just Light!!! Z30 10.3.2.2639
    07-04-16 10:21 AM
    It is.
    All OS platforms let you do that now, their Facebook, Twitter, etc apps also have more features than the BB10 versions.
    07-04-16 10:27 AM
    Twitter wasn't and Facebook is EOL.

Anyway, I can do that too:
    The "old" Facebook app still works as ever

True, you can do that too - but still you still send everything to Google via your OS.
    07-04-16 11:14 AM
    If you are putting your information out there, its out there. If you choose to use to upload information to facebook, twitter, etc then you are allowing them to use your information to do with what they want, they just can't get the information directly off of your device, but that's with any OS now. Once you put it out there, its out there. Having a Blackberry doesn't do anything except I guess give you the illusion that things you put on Facebook, etc are private.
    True, but the difference is:
    If you put out information yourself or if Facebook takes it without your agreement.
    Just read the terms of usage on Android / iOS - you give them: every e-mail, you GPS location, full access to your picture library, microphone, camera etc.
    On BlackBerry 10 it's up to you what you wanna share.

Result is that the functionality is more limited.
    07-04-16 11:18 AM
    All OS platforms let you do that now, their Facebook, Twitter, etc apps also have more features than the BB10 versions.
    Android, now yes.
    iOS not so much - you can't turn off that Facebook has access to your e-mails, whole picture library, sensors etc.

But although you have the ability on Android to restrict actions - Android itself takes all informations/data.
    07-04-16 11:21 AM
    This is the digital Era now, I believe your mistaken, these corps have work around even if their back door works or not. I'm sorry but information protection game is lost. People won't fight their practices or the laws that give them the ability to do this legally. Security is as of today a sham.

No Shade Just Light!!! Z30 10.3.2.2639
    Sure no one knows for sure what is happening in the backgroud.
    But it's still a BIG difference if you use an Android device or BlackBerry device - the amount of data that is sent out differs a lot.
    07-04-16 11:23 AM
    True, but the difference is:
    If you put out information yourself or if Facebook takes it without your agreement.
    Just read the terms of usage on Android / iOS - you give them: every e-mail, you GPS location, full access to your picture library, microphone, camera etc.
    On BlackBerry 10 it's up to you what you wanna share.

Result is that the functionality is more limited.
    You can choose to not allow these things in iOS and Android. They also have permission acceptance.
    07-04-16 11:41 AM
    You can choose to not allow these things in iOS and Android. They also have permission acceptance.
    1.) For Android: yes. But Android itself snoops more than all apps together.

2.) iOS: not really. Sure you can set some permissions - but those apps still have access to your e-mails, texting, whole library (on OS10 only to the pic you wanna send access is given too). Take some pics on iOS and then open your Facebook app - they are already in the preview and you get asked, if you wanna share those. And some more.
    But for the OS itself it's almost at OS10's level if you have no apps installed.
    07-04-16 11:48 AM
    1.) For Android: yes. But Android itself snoops more than all apps together.

2.) iOS: not really. Sure you can set some permissions - but those apps still have access to your e-mails, texting, whole library (on OS10 only to the pic you wanna send access is given too). Take some pics on iOS and then open your Facebook app - they are already in the preview and you get asked, if you wanna share those. And some more.
    But for the OS itself it's almost at OS10's level if you have no apps installed.
    I'm sorry but you just don't know what you are talking about. You can turn off access to your photos in iOS plain and simple.
    TgeekB, MikeX74, LazyEvul and 1 others like this.
    07-04-16 11:51 AM

E.G. scenario:

Google does not sell your data. Why do people keep saying this?
    07-04-16 12:02 PM

E.G. scenario:

If a person is on social media at all and use the same user ID amongst several sites you will leave quite a trail that can be pieced together if a person wanted to do it.
    07-04-16 12:03 PM
    I'm sorry but you just don't know what you are talking about. You can turn off access to your photos in iOS plain and simple.
    I know what I'm talking about.
    Where can you set permissions for not getting access to your e-mails, text messages?

Considering photos - there are only 2 options: "Access to all" or "Access to none".
    Not to "only to the one you wanna share".
    07-04-16 12:25 PM
    Google does not sell your data. Why do people keep saying this?
    Because this is how Google generates money?
    Because that what their business is based on?
    07-04-16 12:26 PM
    If a person is on social media at all and use the same user ID amongst several sites you will leave quite a trail that can be pieced together if a person wanted to do it.
    That's very true.
    But it is a difference between what you share yourself or what has been shared because of "access to all".
    07-04-16 12:27 PM
    That's very true.
    But it is a difference between what you share yourself or what has been shared because of "access to all".
    You don't give apps access to all of our pictures in iOS. You give them the ability to present a media browser. The app won't see actual picture or video data unless and until you choose the specific pictures you wish to share. That's how it works in iOS.

You asked earlier how to prevent access to texts in iOS. The answer is you can't give apps access to your SMS or iMessage messages, unless you jailbreak your own phone. Obviously if you jailbreak your phone, you can do what you want.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    07-04-16 12:38 PM
81 123 ...