Also a 5.5 screen will probably not cut it, according to stats around 87percent of phones sold have bigger screens than 5.5, so safer bet is 6inch.
    Stats also show that 99.999% of phones don't have physical keyboards.

Neither stat means a whole lot when discussing a keyboard-focused niche device.
    02-03-21 12:34 AM
    No point in being somewhere in the middle. Go full 16:9, or go small. Since small doesn't play well with Android, we are where we are. I don't think people would accept anything else in 2021.
    Totally agree. "Compromised" solutions enthuse NO one... If 16:9 supersize can find success in big $$ consumer space, all power to them. Count me out but who cares?

MY contention has always been that IF, BIG if, the market target is Bold enthusiasts, ONLY a better Bold that does what Bold does best will hit the target. Whether that's a rational target is an entirely different discussion. Can't believe BIS NOC doesn't "know" how many BIS devices are used how much...? They're the ONLY ones who really "knows" how rational that target is. Imo.

I'd be the LAST person to ask about what consumers will buy in mobile space. NOthing about that market makes the slightest sense to me. Not that ANYone cares. Lol. Maybe I can design and produce a wheeled hand dolly for carrying a "consumer sized" monster? Lol.
    02-03-21 12:51 AM
    I was in the Apple store returning the SE2 I had bought and started a conversation about the old Blackberry days with a couple of young folks.

I was very surprised to find out they would love to see a PKB Blackberry device come to the market, obviously Android would be the OS of choice (Not many other options).

They say they want something different and retro that the common folks don’t have. All they see are iPhones and slabs and think having the old school PKB device would be cool.

I was shocked to hear them talk about it and was also shocked when I asked about the price, their response was if the device has what they are looking for, the price is not a major concern.

This should be passed along to OnwardMobility or I would hope they are actively reading the CB forums. Just thought I would share it with everyone.
    idssteve and bh7171 like this.
    02-03-21 05:18 AM
    I was in the Apple store returning the SE2 I had bought and started a conversation about the old Blackberry days with a couple of young folks.

I was very surprised to find out they would love to see a PKB Blackberry device come to the market, obviously Android would be the OS of choice (Not many other options).

They say they want something different and retro that the common folks don’t have. All they see are iPhones and slabs and think having the old school PKB device would be cool.

I was shocked to hear them talk about it and was also shocked when I asked about the price, their response was if the device has what they are looking for, the price is not a major concern.

This should be passed along to OnwardMobility or I would hope they are actively reading the CB forums. Just thought I would share it with everyone.
    Cool! Were these "young folks" store personnel? Or fellow customers?

I used to encounter similar exchanges back when I ventured into public spaces, pre covid. At least several per year. On bus, elevator, in line at supermarket, etc, etc... Nearly a year ago, atp. Ug.

Frequently some "young person" (anyone under 60 is a youngster to me. Lol) naturally observes Agent99 glued to left hand pounding out messages, etc. The very last time it happened was at Walmart about a year ago. I was texting the wife about an alternate product I'd selected in left hand while simultaneously emptying cart onto conveyor with right hand. While awaiting an expected affirmative from the wife, the young lady at the register who I noticed watching my thumb proclaimed "I didn't know that was possible...". And then "what kind of phone is that? That's a nice size. Is that something new??". Then "I didn't know they made Blackberrys anymore..." Lol. Had to tell her, no, it's 9 years old... Lol. Since there wasn't anyone waiting behind, I held it up and ran thru a few basics on it with her... She asked "...where do you get one?" ... Explained that I'd just switched from VZW to ATT JUST to keep using this 9 year old relic... You really can't get one. She was genuinely deflated. Popped LE from belt clip and attempted to demonstrate it and explained she might yet find an LE...

I could sell several per year, at least... Lol. Steve, the roaming salesman... Lol. Back in the good ole days... Pre-covid. Ug.
    bakron1 and bh7171 like this.
    02-03-21 06:12 AM

I used to encounter similar exchanges back when I ventured into public spaces, pre covid. At least several per year. On bus, elevator, in line at supermarket, etc, etc... Nearly a year ago, atp. Ug.

Frequently some "young person" (anyone under 60 is a youngster to me. Lol) naturally observes Agent99 glued to left hand pounding out messages, etc. The very last time it happened was at Walmart about a year ago. I was texting the wife about an alternate product I'd selected in left hand while simultaneously emptying cart onto conveyor with right hand. While awaiting an expected affirmative from the wife, the young lady at the register who I noticed watching my thumb proclaimed "I didn't know that was possible...". And then "what kind of phone is that? That's a nice size. Is that something new??". Then "I didn't know they made Blackberrys anymore..." Lol. Had to tell her, no, it's 9 years old... Lol. Since there wasn't anyone waiting behind, I held it up and ran thru a few basics on it with her... She asked "...where do you get one?" ... Explained that I'd just switched from VZW to ATT JUST to keep using this 9 year old relic... You really can't get one. She was genuinely deflated. Popped LE from belt clip and attempted to demonstrate it and explained she might yet find an LE...

I could sell several per year, at least... Lol. Steve, the roaming salesman... Lol. Back in the good ole days... Pre-covid. Ug.
    These where in store customers, I don’t preach other brands to the Apple store folks, they are programmed to sell Apple products, which makes good business sense.
    02-03-21 06:15 AM
    Nah. 10mm wouldn't change a thing.

Not to mention that it's infinitely better than any other possible option.
    A full centimeter does make a difference, so it's either gonna look like those new awkward Sony phones that have the 21:9 aspect ratio, or they have to make it just Note Ultra sized to compensate.

I just think anything over 5 inches requires a sliding mechanism. If they do go Priv 2 on us, then they're free to easily do 6 inches in screen size, while keeping the balance okay if the weight is towards the bottom.
    02-03-21 06:18 AM

Having grown up in family retail business and still having some very limited involvement in that business, that interaction with it’s claims of support never results in any meaningful sales. It’s the inverse result of actions speak louder than words. I can remember on several occasions buying some various items, after slowly getting rid of, heavily discounted losing money, previously and repeating the same mistake and surprise, the same results.

People do remember things but only the good usually and unfortunately when the retro item actually is presented, the reasons for decline, “the bad” are then remembered. At that point, the price commitment suddenly becomes an issue. Overcoming that issue with heavy discounts isn’t even the solution as you watch customer after customer pickup the heavily discounted item below cost, only to put it down for the old style and features that aren’t completely appreciated over the resulting trade offs in some other aspects. As humans, we never really appreciate how things we enjoy and like, can truly be hated or despised by others. That’s why the vote with your wallet/cash is so very significant. Once a successful formula is discovered, the “if not broke, don’t fix it” mantra kicks in.

I’m fascinated with the funding mechanism of Unihertz Titan, but it’s scalability is limited. I do believe that OM, in some corporate way, is attempting variation of this but I’m not sure it’s having an easy go of it. Recently, I’ve noticed on their website, they’re looking for the “financial partners” component and posting on website doesn’t exactly convey the image “carrier partners” find reassuring.
    pdr733 likes this.
    02-03-21 06:50 AM
    Having grown up in family retail business and still having some very limited involvement in that business, that interaction with it’s claims of support never results in any meaningful sales. It’s the inverse result of actions speak louder than words. I can remember on several occasions buying some various items, after slowly getting rid of, heavily discounted losing money, previously and repeating the same mistake and surprise, the same results.

People do remember things but only the good usually and unfortunately when the retro item actually is presented, the reasons for decline, “the bad” are then remembered. At that point, the price commitment suddenly becomes an issue. Overcoming that issue with heavy discounts isn’t even the solution as you watch customer after customer pickup the heavily discounted item below cost, only to put it down for the old style and features that aren’t completely appreciated over the resulting trade offs in some other aspects. As humans, we never really appreciate how things we enjoy and like, can truly be hated or despised by others. That’s why the vote with your wallet/cash is so very significant. Once a successful formula is discovered, the “if not broke, don’t fix it” mantra kicks in.

I’m fascinated with the funding mechanism of Unihertz Titan, but it’s scalability is limited. I do believe that OM, in some corporate way, is attempting variation of this but I’m not sure it’s having an easy go of it. Recently, I’ve noticed on their website, they’re looking for the “financial partners” component and posting on website doesn’t exactly convey the image “carrier partners” find reassuring.
    Very true. Getting from initial "wow" to check signing commitment is a far, far journey. 3 customers per year wouldn't make much of a business model... In mobile space, at least. Lol.

I guess what I'm frequently amazed by is how few even suspect the potential capabilities in alternate forms... And how fewer yet even care...lol.

Classic conundrum... All the answers in the universe are meaningless without "the question"... Lol...
    02-03-21 07:07 AM
    I dont see asia situation heating up too much to drive investment in made in u.s phones, that only leaves the uptick in demand for pkb due to covid but i dont see that leading to OM investment. As such assuming a device comes out and they dont lose money sales will be low due to high price. Alllowing only upperclass to get a pkb secure phone. A china phone though from unihertz loooks good though.
    Last edited by manny2; 02-08-21 at 04:39 AM.
    02-05-21 10:06 PM
    that only leaves the uptick in demand for pkb due to covid.
    This is completely imaginary.
    02-05-21 11:00 PM
    SUV/Crossover just re-branded old tech. Think station wagon.
    02-08-21 02:05 PM
    SUV/Crossover just re-branded old tech. Think station wagon.
    The CUV AKA Crossovers I can sort of agree since the Outback CUV was a trim level of the old Legacy SW back in the day.

The old Ford Crown Vic LTD SW from National Lampoon Vacation and my Excursions or Expedition, not so much...
    02-08-21 02:17 PM
    I remember my Dads big Dodge V8 wagon were the pickup trucks of the day. Main vehicles used to pull holiday trailers on vacation. Many of them much heavier than todays models. Rarely were pickups used for this.
    02-08-21 03:21 PM
    One of the benefits if a slider is released is that bb users can claim the "sliders" moniker. I also dont understand why they cant just stick a 9900 pkb under a slab.
    02-08-21 09:52 PM
    One of the benefits if a slider is released is that bb users can claim the "sliders" moniker. I also dont understand why they cant just stick a 9900 pkb under a slab.
    Unless the keyboard is flush with the screen, it's a dud for me.
    02-08-21 10:37 PM
    Unless the keyboard is flush with the screen, it's a dud for me.
    I actually prefer KB elevated slightly above screen... Better avoids accidental screen touches... Typically slipped a folded sticky note under the trackpad area of Bold's keyboard. Elevated trackpad above screen about a strong 0.010" ... Just enough to avoid accidental screen touches.
    02-09-21 05:13 PM
    I actually prefer KB elevated slightly above screen... Better avoids accidental screen touches... Typically slipped a folded sticky note under the trackpad area of Bold's keyboard. Elevated trackpad above screen about a strong 0.010" ... Just enough to avoid accidental screen touches.
    That would be fine too. I just don't like it lower than the screen.
    02-09-21 05:37 PM
    That would be fine too. I just don't like it lower than the screen.
    Front slider seems my fave. Especially if trackpad equipped kb... 9900 style. No need to ever touch this screen on this old Bold... Lol.
    02-09-21 06:24 PM
    Front slider seems my fave. Especially if trackpad equipped kb... 9900 style. No need to ever touch this screen on this old Bold... Lol.
    Swipe up gesture on screen would be interfered with if the keyboard is too proud of the display.
    02-09-21 06:56 PM
    Swipe up gesture on screen would be interfered with if the keyboard is too proud of the display.
    yeah, gestures solved problems that I never had with good pkb shortcuts & well implemented trackpad-toolbelt ... A "solution" in search of a problem for this old Boldy, lol...
    02-09-21 07:47 PM
    still plenty of surplus replacement 9900 KB's last I checked... very cheap... lol

fabulous as 9900's kb is, it's only a part of a very symbiotic system. Bold's compact chassis contributes as much to its typing reputation as its exquisit kb...

Still... finding a better refined pkb would approach impossible, imo.

wish I had it now... this LE demands a millisecond longer press for caps... ug... lol Impatient, I guess...
    02-09-21 08:02 PM
171 ... 567