With all that’s happened in 2020 and the COVID situation, a lot of folks have been affected both physically, mentally and financially.

Most all of the major electronic trade shows where cancelled in 2020 and even though it’s been a very tough year, the major manufacturers are still have to develop some new products to generate revenue.

I thought I would start a thread to see what might be coming down the pike from big tech in 2021 and get folks talking, let’s put this COVID stuff behind us get back to some sense of normalcy.
    ssirica likes this.
    01-09-21 10:22 AM
    With all that’s happened in 2020 and the COVID situation, a lot of folks have been affected both physically, mentally and financially.

Most all of the major electronic trade shows where cancelled in 2020 and even though it’s been a very tough year, the major manufacturers are still have to develop some new products to generate revenue.

I thought I would start a thread to see what might be coming down the pike from big tech in 2021 and get folks talking, let’s put this COVID stuff behind us get back to some sense of normalcy.
    We would have to take control of COVID before we can move Forward, which at this point we are nowhere near that.
    01-09-21 11:09 AM
    We would have to take control of COVID before we can move Forward, which at this point we are nowhere near that.
    Exactly - how many people died in the USA yesterday? It's horrendous and way too early to put "this COVID stuff behind us", with all due respect to bakron1. We can always talk "new" tech though.
    01-09-21 11:19 AM
    As far as new smartphone tech is concerned, this year we can expect:

Slabs

Slabs

Slabs

Did I mention slabs?

Foldables (Galaxy Z Fold 3, Z Flip 2, Razr 2021)

Maybe the OnwardBerry

Maybe a new UniHertz PKB device

F(x) Tec Pro 1-X (old tech repainted)
    bakron1, anon(5597702) and Byrese like this.
    01-10-21 08:12 AM
    Not to forget the rollables, which I find much more interesting than foldables and of course not as interesting as PKBs
    bakron1 likes this.
    01-10-21 12:58 PM
    let’s put this COVID stuff behind us get back to some sense of normalcy.
    I understand the desire to want this, but as others have said, we're far from out of the woods. When things do improve, we'll have a "new" normal, not the old one -- there's no going back. So let's continue to hang in there and keep each other as safe as possible.
    01-10-21 03:17 PM

Since we all live in the FL, I figure I’d quote both in my reply.

You’re both correct...

We really need to learn and remember that we’re living with COVID-19 as daily event. We need to attempt a return to old routines but done totally different.

I can best explain from my daughters routines. We’re a Club Volleyball family. The volleyball division of the USAV and the AAU have allowed the routines to continue very similar to professional sports. We actually returned to practices in a gym environment about the middle of May in preparation for July events.

We aren’t going to have the old days anytime soon. No crazy parties with all the extra siblings in the hotels. Masks and temperature checks always. Turning down some family events because my family volleyball pod is safer than my family pod that hangs out differently and may observe different social techniques.

My youngest daughter, also plays HS basketball and did some Club Basketball participation. Next year, she’ll probably drop HS volleyball and Club Basketball simply due to COVID-19 quarantine issues because those coaches weren’t as good managing safety protocols. For my family, we’re only concerned about COVID-19 as possible death, like DUI, stroke, heart attacks, gun violence and other realities of the active lives around us.

I guess my point is that you have to do what’s best for you as you move forward and learn to live knowing the risks aren’t really any different than driving when I’m on the road next to you. “We’ll all die and I’m going to enjoy what time I’ve got while I’ve got it. Just because people drink and drive isn’t a reason to stop driving or going out, but we can make decisions on where to go and when to go.” That’s a quote from both my daughters 14 and 16 arguing with some friends. My daughters have cut out parties with any friends that allow outside people not in school or sports with them.

Anyways , that’s my 2 cents.
    bakron1 and anon(5597702) like this.
    01-10-21 06:27 PM
    Exactly - how many people died in the USA yesterday? It's horrendous and way too early to put "this COVID stuff behind us", with all due respect to bakron1. We can always talk "new" tech though.
    Well no offense, but I wouldn’t visit you very well right now. I’d be afraid to be the person that could make you ill or worse during your “recovery period” however I don’t think you’d agree to visit either without extreme precautions.
    01-10-21 06:29 PM
    I understand the desire to want this, but as others have said, we're far from out of the woods. When things do improve, we'll have a "new" normal, not the old one -- there's no going back. So let's continue to hang in there and keep each other as safe as possible.
    The new, somewhere in the middle type normal, is what is happening in Florida already. I’m not really sure where do we go from here. We can’t go back to 2019 behavior or April 2020 behavior either. Unfortunately, there’s a lot of distance in the middle.
    01-10-21 06:33 PM
    Well no offense, but I wouldn’t visit you very well right now. I’d be afraid to be the person that could make you ill or worse during your “recovery period” however I don’t think you’d agree to visit either without extreme precautions.
    Yeah, we're not doing that great up here either. Almost 4000 cases here in Ontario today. This nightmare is far from over. Oh, and our vaccination rate sucks here also. Worse than yours.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    01-10-21 07:08 PM
    Yeah, we're not doing that great up here either. Almost 4000 cases here in Ontario today. This nightmare is far from over. Oh, and our vaccination rate sucks here also. Worse than yours.
    I’m so far down the list for any vaccination, it’ll probably have three mutations by then....
    01-10-21 07:24 PM
    I’m so far down the list for any vaccination, it’ll probably have three mutations by then....
    LMAO -- hopefully everything works out. Hang in there.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    01-10-21 07:54 PM
    Since we all live in the FL, I figure I’d quote both in my reply.

You’re both correct...

We really need to learn and remember that we’re living with COVID-19 as daily event. We need to attempt a return to old routines but done totally different.

I can best explain from my daughters routines. We’re a Club Volleyball family. The volleyball division of the USAV and the AAU have allowed the routines to continue very similar to professional sports. We actually returned to practices in a gym environment about the middle of May in preparation for July events.

We aren’t going to have the old days anytime soon. No crazy parties with all the extra siblings in the hotels. Masks and temperature checks always. Turning down some family events because my family volleyball pod is safer than my family pod that hangs out differently and may observe different social techniques.

My youngest daughter, also plays HS basketball and did some Club Basketball participation. Next year, she’ll probably drop HS volleyball and Club Basketball simply due to COVID-19 quarantine issues because those coaches weren’t as good managing safety protocols. For my family, we’re only concerned about COVID-19 as possible death, like DUI, stroke, heart attacks, gun violence and other realities of the active lives around us.

I guess my point is that you have to do what’s best for you as you move forward and learn to live knowing the risks aren’t really any different than driving when I’m on the road next to you. “We’ll all die and I’m going to enjoy what time I’ve got while I’ve got it. Just because people drink and drive isn’t a reason to stop driving or going out, but we can make decisions on where to go and when to go.” That’s a quote from both my daughters 14 and 16 arguing with some friends. My daughters have cut out parties with any friends that allow outside people not in school or sports with them.

Anyways , that’s my 2 cents.
    Well put sir.
    01-10-21 08:44 PM
    As far as new smartphone tech is concerned, this year we can expect:

Slabs

Slabs

Slabs

Did I mention slabs?

Foldables (Galaxy Z Fold 3, Z Flip 2, Razr 2021)

Maybe the OnwardBerry

Maybe a new UniHertz PKB device

F(x) Tec Pro 1-X (old tech repainted)
    lol, don't forget slabs! lol

a variety of slabs!

What’s in Store for 2021 in tech?-variety.jpg

Bigger slabs!

What’s in Store for 2021 in tech?-size-envy.jpg

A new take on dual carry!

What’s in Store for 2021 in tech?-dual-cary.jpg

lol
    Last edited by idssteve; 01-11-21 at 12:19 AM.
    anon(5597702) and the_boon like this.
    01-10-21 11:49 PM
    Those slabs are taking virtually 100% of the profits, so, yeah, that's what they're going to make.

The US automakers have almost completely stopped making cars in favor of SUVs/Crossovers. There are a couple of muscle cars remaining, and a couple of subcompacts, but compact, midsize, and full-size cars are nearly all gone. Why? Because people aren't buying them anymore.
    bakron1 likes this.
    01-11-21 01:46 AM
    Those slabs are taking virtually 100% of the profits, so, yeah, that's what they're going to make.

The US automakers have almost completely stopped making cars in favor of SUVs/Crossovers. There are a couple of muscle cars remaining, and a couple of subcompacts, but compact, midsize, and full-size cars are nearly all gone. Why? Because people aren't buying them anymore.
    I seen the transition from cars to SUV’s back in the early 90’s when we converted GM Janesville from a car to a truck plant making the Suburban, Tahoe and the Blazer and they sold like hot cakes.
    01-11-21 04:58 AM
    That might change, again, once gasoline hits $4/gal, ...again. Lol. What if that some day happens and ALL of the world's automakers have long "forgotten" how to make ANYthing but SUV's. ??? Learning curves happen. Lol.

Fortunately there is STILL free market variety in transportation options. Subcompacts, 18 wheelers, side by sides, bicycles, etc are STILL available. I could even buy and "sneak" a Case 580 to work. Lol. Utter absence of mobile communications market diversity just doesn't "feel" natural. To this old free market enthusiast. Lol. Especially when use case advantages of certain product form options can quantitatively prove so compelling? Imo. Fwiw.
    01-11-21 05:55 AM
    That "virtually 100% of profits" is going to dwindle over time as there's nowhere else to take the slab form factor and people will eventually demand more. There's only so long you can keep consumers excited by arranging the cameras differently.

The US automakers have almost completely stopped making cars in favor of SUVs/Crossovers. There are a couple of muscle cars remaining, and a couple of subcompacts, but compact, midsize, and full-size cars are nearly all gone.
    Can we stop with the silly comparisons of the mobile phone world and automotive?
    Just because SUV's and crossover have gained popularity, it did NOT result in the disappearance of compacts, subcompact, midsize, full size, and even coupe and convertible cars.

Depending on the make, you can walk into a dealership and drive out with most of the above types of vehicles.
    As for devices? You walk into a retail or carrier store, and unless you're buying an expensive foldable or a cheap flip phone, you're walking out with a slab.

It's no comparison. Stop with this misleading.
    bh7171 likes this.
    01-13-21 10:17 AM
    That "virtually 100% of profits" is going to dwindle over time as there's nowhere else to take the slab form factor and people will eventually demand more. There's only so long you can keep consumers excited by arranging the cameras differently.

There is no doubt that the market has plateaued, and will most likely follow the path of the PC market as hardware has reached a point where upgrades aren't as necessary as often.

But that won't increase the desire for PKBs....

I kind of look at the disappointment with the iPhone Mini as a good example that while some might say they don't like the huge slabs....that talk is cheap. Which may be why the Mini (not really all the Mini) failed to sell as well as the SE or even last years iPhone 11.... PRICE.

But PRICE is going to be a real problem for PKB phones....
    01-13-21 10:54 AM
    There is no doubt that the market has plateaued, and will most likely follow the path of the PC market as hardware has reached a point where upgrades aren't as necessary as often.

I kind of look at the disappointment with the iPhone Mini as a good example that while some might say they don't like the huge slabs....that talk is cheap. Which may be why the Mini (not really all the Mini) failed to sell as well as the SE or even last years iPhone 11.... PRICE.

Funny that you take the example of PC's (which all have PKB's) and then say there won't be a desire for PKB's.

They can implement PKB in a way people would want to try, probably through an add-on accessory or sliding case etc, if not a Priv-style slider.
    I don't have much hope for candybar PKB's to see success, aside from OM's "specialty" phones and Unihertz tiny volume.
    01-13-21 10:58 AM
    I'm actually amazed at how many things did come out in the tech world, given the circumstances.

At home, I just built out a new home office in the basement because I know I'll be working from here for most of 2021 at least. Now I'm working on the network closet and what PC I want to build, what new Mac I will buy, all that kind of stuff. So I've been seeing a lot of new interesting things. The new GPUs are really great (when they become available for real). AMD is pushing the envelope which is always fun to see.

For all the struggles everyone had in 2020, boy did AMD have a crazy great year!

Amazon and Apple both are also changing the industry in a huge way with their latest ARM based chips. That makes it feel like the 1990s again to me.

And in cars, we have a lot of stuff coming out in 2022 and 2023 that are actually very cool. Can't talk about them quite yet, but the industry did get a lot of work done in 2020 (again amazing to me considering we all did this from our basements literally).
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    01-13-21 11:59 AM
    I'm actually amazed at how many things did come out in the tech world, given the circumstances.

At home, I just built out a new home office in the basement because I know I'll be working from here for most of 2021 at least. Now I'm working on the network closet and what PC I want to build, what new Mac I will buy, all that kind of stuff. So I've been seeing a lot of new interesting things. The new GPUs are really great (when they become available for real). AMD is pushing the envelope which is always fun to see.

For all the struggles everyone had in 2020, boy did AMD have a crazy great year!

Amazon and Apple both are also changing the industry in a huge way with their latest ARM based chips. That makes it feel like the 1990s again to me.

And in cars, we have a lot of stuff coming out in 2022 and 2023 that are actually very cool. Can't talk about them quite yet, but the industry did get a lot of work done in 2020 (again amazing to me considering we all did this from our basements literally).
    Let me guess.... auto makers are adding full keyboards to the dash.
    01-13-21 01:06 PM
    Let me guess.... auto makers are adding full keyboards to the dash.
    Not the dash, but the steering wheel. .
    01-13-21 01:15 PM
    Not the dash, but the steering wheel. .
    Ha! As you guys know, our friends over at Daimler are moving towards touchscreens replacing those buttons on the wheel, which I’m sure will trigger many here.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    01-13-21 01:25 PM

Price is funny. People think smaller then should be cheaper even though not really cheaper to make
    01-13-21 01:44 PM
171 123 ...