Getting sick of Facebook controlling stuff and deleting people’s posts.
    Who’s to say that there not monitoring Facebook messenger too.
    Now that bbm is gone what’s a good secure messenger app to use.
    04-20-20 06:30 PM
    BBM may be gone, but BBM Enterprise remains available for consumers; it costs $3.49 CAD every six months. If you'd rather stay with free alternatives, try Telegram.

Posted via CB10
    Skidoo583, elfabio80 and bakron1 like this.
    04-20-20 06:48 PM
    There really isn't anything secure any more when it come to social media. Everything is being monitor now a days. May want to go old school with Pen and paper.
    04-20-20 09:08 PM
    You basically picked the only one without end-to-end encryption.

Even though WhatsApp is also owned by Facebook, it has it, and is used by 2 billion people around the world.

Line and Viber are popular Japanese-owned messaging apps.

Signal and Telegram Private Chat, are getting more popular all the time.

Threema and Wire are very good boutique apps.

Ignore WeChat and QQ - they are Chinese.
    Skidoo583, ppeters914 and bakron1 like this.
    04-20-20 10:01 PM
    Signal. Great app.
    mikeath likes this.
    04-21-20 01:41 AM
    Big thing to me about messaging apps... isn't what I should download, but what are people I want to talk with using. That's where you should start.

I think Signal is one of the more secure and private options... but I use WhatsApp, because that's what people I want to talk with are using. And I'm not interest in having multiply solutions for different groups, as each app uses resources.
    04-21-20 07:41 AM
    Big thing to me about messaging apps... isn't what I should download, but what are people I want to talk with using. That's where you should start.

I think Signal is one of the more secure and private options... but I use WhatsApp, because that's what people I want to talk with are using. And I'm not interest in having multiply solutions for different groups, as each app uses resources.
    What I prefer with Signal over Whatsapp is that it works like standard text for any persons that don't value the end to end encryption and security Signal offers. With those persons I would NEVER exchange sensitive information anyway so it works like any persons standard text messaging applications. Since my wife and I both use it I feel safer knowing any possible financial data discussed or relayed is fully encrypted. For Whatsapp other persons have to have that application to send and receive communications. I do have Whatsapp solely for my best friend that lives in Germany. It's more or less the world's choice for crossplatform communication. Unfortunately not really the case here in US. Most people just use standard messenger and that's either iMessage or Samsung Messenger.
    04-21-20 10:31 AM
    What I prefer with Signal over Whatsapp is that it works like standard text for any persons that don't value the end to end encryption and security Signal offers. With those persons I would NEVER exchange sensitive information anyway so it works like any persons standard text messaging applications. Since my wife and I both use it I feel safer knowing any possible financial data discussed or relayed is fully encrypted. For Whatsapp other persons have to have that application to send and receive communications. I do have Whatsapp solely for my best friend that lives in Germany. It's more or less the world's choice for crossplatform communication. Unfortunately not really the case here in US. Most people just use standard messenger and that's either iMessage or Samsung Messenger.
    I believe now that even WhatsApp offers the encryption too.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-20 10:40 AM
    I believe now that even WhatsApp offers the encryption too.

Posted via CB10
    It always has. He is referring to SMS functionality built into Signal.
    04-21-20 10:47 AM
    See.... that's why you're ambassador while I'm just a lowly trusted member ;-)

Posted via CB10
    04-21-20 10:58 AM
    Thanks- was just getting to note this difference between Signal and Whatsapp 😎
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    04-21-20 11:01 AM
    Thanks- was just getting to note this difference between Signal and Whatsapp ������
    Yeah if BlackBerry had gone ahead and added SMS functionality to BBM.... and taken it cross platform sooner, and if they had devoted real resources to it's ongoing development... so it didn't suck so much. BBM might have been a major messaging solution for today.

A year ago I didn't use WhatsApp and no one I knew really did. But with COVID, I'm using it a lot, and it's surprising how many of my contacts now have it as well. As it fully integrates with my contacts and shows me who I can message, or call via WhatsApp.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    04-21-20 01:05 PM
    Yeah if BlackBerry had gone ahead and added SMS functionality to BBM.... and taken it cross platform sooner, and if they had devoted real resources to it's ongoing development... so it didn't suck so much. BBM might have been a major messaging solution for today.

A year ago I didn't use WhatsApp and no one I knew really did. But with COVID, I'm using it a lot, and it's surprising how many of my contacts now have it as well. As it fully integrates with my contacts and shows me who I can message, or call via WhatsApp.
    Signal was started from the originators of Whatsapp before it was purchased from Facebook. They have not spoken fondly of Facebook and their stewardship (like the originators of Instagram)

Conite clued me into Signal and I did a fair amount of research. I am cool using Signal knowing the thought and security behind its function.
    04-21-20 01:14 PM

Also OP noted his disdain for Facebook so recommending Whatsapp (by Facebook) as noted at the bottom of Whatsapp on start up might be a no go.

Signal and Telegram are independent. I believe Telegram is affiliated with Blokada which is cool as well. That app knocks the crap out of ads and trackers on an Android device.
    04-21-20 01:19 PM
    Signal is what I use and WhatsApp. I don't know many other signal users though. the question is... do FB have a backdoor in WA to circumvent the encryption... it's what the authorities want... but then maybe they have it already and the supposed dispute is just for show...

I'll get my tin foil hat and be leaving now...
    ppeters914 likes this.
    04-21-20 04:55 PM
    Signal is what I use and WhatsApp. I don't know many other signal users though. the question is... do FB have a backdoor in WA to circumvent the encryption... it's what the authorities want... but then maybe they have it already and the supposed dispute is just for show...

I'll get my tin foil hat and be leaving now...
    There is no backdoor to the content of your messages in WhatsApp. It uses the fully audited, open source Whisper Systems e2e protocol.
    04-21-20 05:36 PM
    Is Signal an app just like Whattsapp that you can only msg with someone that has the app? Or you can also msg with anyone via SMS?

Posted via CB10
    04-21-20 07:12 PM
    Is Signal an app just like Whattsapp that you can only msg with someone that has the app? Or you can also msg with anyone via SMS?

Posted via CB10
    Signal integrates regular SMS as well. Of course it's not encrypted like its own app-to-app messaging.
    04-21-20 07:15 PM
    I understand... can I download Signal on a Classic?

Posted via CB10
    04-21-20 07:28 PM
    I understand... can I download Signal on a Classic?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, but you won't get SMS on BB10.

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/signal...-apk-download/
    04-21-20 07:31 PM
    Oh! No point

Posted via CB10
    04-21-20 07:34 PM
    You basically picked the only one without end-to-end encryption.

Even though WhatsApp is also owned by Facebook, it has it, and is used by 2 billion people around the world.

Line and Viber are popular Japanese-owned messaging apps.

Signal and Telegram Private Chat, are getting more popular all the time.

Threema and Wire are very good boutique apps.

Ignore WeChat and QQ - they are Chinese.
    End-to-end encryption protects the content of messages only. Facebook still logs all of the metadata including time, length of message, parties messaged, geolocation, etc. So, while the content is secure, the context is available to hackers, private investigators, law enforcement (with a warrant) and state security agencies (probably without a warrant).

Security and privacy go hand-in-hand. The ideal platform does not know your real identity, and does not log retain any metadata. FB Messenger is very far from ideal.

The best choice for privacy, IMO is not a messaging service at all, but ProtonMail, a privacy and encrypted email service that does not even ask who you are when you register, cannot read your emails, and houses it's servers in privacy-friendly jurisdictions.

The most private and secure mainstream messaging app is Signal, which requires access to a phone to set up your account, but does not require you to share your cell number to connect with contacts.. You may use a burner number, Google Voice number, or any other number you control to create your account, and use that number as your "username" instead of your actual cell number.

Telegram is a feature-rich option with group chat and other features many people value. Most privacy and security professionals consider it to be less secure than Signal, but it's much, much better than WhatsApp and FB Messenger!

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 04-22-20 at 11:32 AM.
    bh7171, ppeters914 and Jenserm like this.
    04-21-20 07:49 PM
    End-to-end encryption protects the content of messages only. Facebook still logs all of the metadata including time, length of message, parties messaged, geolocation, etc. So, while the content is secure, the context is available to hackers, private investigators, law enforcement (with a warrant) and state security agencies (probably without a warrant).

Security and privacy go hand-in-hand. The ideal platform does not know your real identity, and does not log retain any metadata. FB Messenger is very far from ideal.

The best choice for privacy, IMO is not a messaging service at all, but ProtonMail, a privacy and encrypted email service that does not even ask who you are when you register, cannot read your emails, and houses it's servers in privacy-friendly jurisdictions.

The most private and secure mainstream messaging app is Signal, which requires access to a phone to set up your account, but does not require you to share your cell number to connect with contacts.. You may use a burner number, Google Voice number, or any other number you control to create your account, and use that number as your "username" instead of your actual cell number.

Telegraph is a feature-rich option with group chat and other features many people value. Most privacy and security professionals consider it to be less secure than Signal, but it's much, much better than WhatsApp and FB Messenger!

Did you mean to explain this to me?
    04-21-20 07:51 PM
    Did you mean to explain this to me?
    No, sorry. I was trying to continue the conversation for the OP.

04-22-20 03:04 AM
    Telegraph? Or you meant Telegram?
    04-22-20 03:27 AM
43 12