RIM could also sell More than just phones.

I'd like to see the RIM Retail Store have

BlackBerry Bold Display - 2 Models
    BlackBerry Curve Display - 3 models
    BlackBerry Torch Display - 2 models
    BlackBerry Pearl Display - 2 model
    BlackBerry Style Display - 2 models
    BlackBerry PlayBook Display - 3 sizes

BlackBerry BlueTooth Ear piece Display
    BlackBerry Peripherals Display ( Presenter2.0(w/HDMI), Mobile receipt printer, docking stations, Batteries, Battery doors, Charging stations.
    BlackBerry casual clothing Display
    BlackBerry Business clothing Display

BlackBerry App world kiosk allowing you to pay and have apps side loaded saving a data connection, also Music, and Movies
    I think this would be a reality if the iphone never existed.
    11-17-12 05:43 PM
    I wouldn't open a BlackBerry store again until BB phones catch on again. When that happens, they can open small stores or kiosks in malls.
    True about catching on, stores even half the size of an Apple Store is sufficient enough.
    11-27-12 02:50 AM
    For the past couple of years, I've seen BlackBerry stores in several airports. I fly through Boston and Charlotte a lot and both had BlackBerry stores.

Last month, while going through both airports, both of the BlackBerry stores in those airports have been replaced by electronics stores (mp3 players, iDevice accessories...).

It would be very hard to have a store where they only sell one device. I do think that RIM does need have a better BlackBerry presence in stores, from cellular sales, to the different electronics stores.
    RIM has a tendency to bring on franchisees to run its stores. Particularly in Indonesia/Thailand. Bad idea in N. America. RIM needs every bit of control over its products and marketing.
    11-27-12 02:52 AM
    RIM needs

1. Handset - High End + Mid + Low
    Physical Keyboard - CDMA/GSM
    Full Touch - CDMA/GSM

2. Tablet - 10", 7" & 5.5"

3. Limited Feature phone - Only BBM, Internet browser, Text Messaging + basic stuff like calendar, contacts, tasks, etc.
    11-27-12 06:09 AM
    Disagree respectfully. 2 models is max for a phone. Limited edition device can only serve as a peak in interest but distracts RIM. Only when there is enough reason to make one then go ahead.
    12-08-12 08:50 PM
    I don't think stores are the answer but I do feel that there is not enough advertising. Look at WP8 devices they are advertising like crazy! Rim needs to get the word out now not at launch they need to get the attention of holiday shoppers that might wait for BB10 devices and hold off on purchasing now. Rim needs to spark the interest of perspective buyers and advertising is the way to do that.

With a brick and mortar store overhead is high and that is what a carrier store is for!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-08-12 10:09 PM
    If RIM can, at the minimum, offer the same popular Apps that are common on the other platforms I think a Blackberry Store would be a great thing....
    ...People would simply out of interest come in and check it out - if they just had the Apps Blackberry could easily compete with Droid or iphone!
    ...Having the ability to get 'stuff' in and out of any computer is a huge selling point for RIM against IOS and the cultic itunes.

As it stands right now RIM has failed the App test but that can change....
    ...I hope BB10 ushers in a new world for RIM.
    12-09-12 01:04 AM
    I would love a blackberry store eh
    gng11 likes this.
    12-09-12 01:20 AM
    Sorry, but I do not think a BB store makes economic sense. With only phone(s) and a tablet, what would they fill the space with? At least Apple has desktop computers, tablets, music players, and phones. A much broader product base to market means the overhead gets covered.
    12-10-12 04:27 PM
    The store would have to appeal to those in the area. It makes sense to have it where blackberry is BIG, not where it's small.
    12-10-12 05:21 PM
    So... now that the Z10, Q10 (almost..!), and other rumoured devices are on the roadmap, would it still make sense to open some retail stores? There's the accessories now, Playbook ( 7 and/or 10 inch** version), gaming section, business section.., blackberry for education...etc. I think this would suffice already.
    04-05-13 02:53 AM
    They had stores in airports for a few years. The last time I flew, they had been replaced with stores selling mp3 players and other portable electronics.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-13 08:05 AM
    I honestly think that Blackberry needs to focus on one single touchscreen phone, like the iPhone, not several phones. Too many phones = lost in translation as to what RIM is trying to get at. People nowadays don't want a phone that fits their personality, they want a phone that is the "it" phone. Minus the ad hype Apple created, it make sense anyway that one phone is efficient rather than several phones that you have to choose from.

If RIM's execs feel that they can go with a keyboard and a touch screen, I'd say leave the keyboards to the 3rd party designers or a team at RIM to come up with some suave accessories to compensate for the lack of keyboards- iPhone users now have the option to buy a Bluetooth wireless keyboard, and that is smart because it generates some more money for Apple.

Apple has already shifted the paradigm of the consumer to touch, and the keyboard now seems too overwhelming to look at if designed as part of the phone. Unfortunately, I believe this is the time to look at reality. At least in where I live in, people love simplicity and clean design.

All together: Simple, clean and liked by all is what design should be. Apple got that one right. Let's hope that RIM will get theirs right as well.

Secondly: If RIM needs some advice, I believe that it seriously needs to consider opening up retail stores, like a "Blackberry Store". As RIM's VP Don Lindsay has said, it's all about the UX (User Experience). Also opening up retail stores = spreading free advertising.

The consumer and business markets as RIM has so often categorised is no longer separate, but rather inter-linked and unified markets. Business people are consumers, and consumers are also business people in some ways. Heck even consumers may want security grade messenging, etc.

Word of mouth and "silent" advertising is the most powerful form of advertising, not commercials or print advertising. People going "oohs and ahhs" through their friends' phones is what drives sales. Do you see Apple or Google investing the majority of their marketing in print or in TV ads for their phones? Not really.

Lastly, I'd say don't rush the pace and keep teasing on the side, but learn from Apple to be secretive and don't reveal or say anything until you have the final "pow" factor. RIM really needs that "one more thing....." moment

Just my 2 cents as a patriotic Canadian.
    I'm sorry but I couldn't disagree more. I think Blackberry's next logical step is to work on a superior cloud ecosystem. Every other player in the game offers some sort of cloud integration. Give me a blackberry.com or .net email address, give me some cloud storage, work on filling out docs-to-go or integrate with android further.
    04-05-13 08:12 AM
    I agree with the comment about more advertising, and I think carrier support would help as well. If BlackBerry had Samsung's marketing budget and the support of carriers like Verizon and AT&T, they could definitely take the number three spot from Windows Phone.

Posted via CB10
    gng11 likes this.
    04-05-13 03:17 PM
    I agree that cloud based systems like the iCloud would be sweet. But in terms of sales and the overall direction of design, this should be the roadmap, and cloud services should be a part of it as well.
    04-07-13 04:35 AM
    They had stores in airports for a few years. The last time I flew, they had been replaced with stores selling mp3 players and other portable electronics.

Posted via CB10
    Airports were never places to set up shop anyway. Blackberry should be in malls and shopping districts.
    04-07-13 04:36 AM
    According to almost all economic theories, you must create many products to achieve a profitable volume of sales. For BlackBerry, they do not have the amount of sales in order to sell just one device. Also, selling just a z10 alienates q10 customers (and vice versa)

([note: I am not a economics professor, but I have taken many advan economic classes] )

Posted via CB10
    04-07-13 11:05 AM
    According to almost all economic theories, you must create many products to achieve a profitable volume of sales. For BlackBerry, they do not have the amount of sales in order to sell just one device. Also, selling just a z10 alienates q10 customers (and vice versa)

([note: I am not a economics professor, but I have taken many advan economic classes] )

Posted via CB10
    But hey, at least it's a tonne lot better than what they had under 2 CEOs (dreadful number of models that keeping popping up...). They have the Playbook, Z10, Q10, maybe an R10 and a 10" tablet (I really hope it's Blackforest!!!)
    04-18-13 12:38 AM
    So... based on recent news that Blackberry is going to open its first official Retail Concept store in Dubai BlackBerry to open its first retail store in Dubai - a sign of good things to come? | CrackBerry.com, it seems that I have struck another chord correctly. Let's hope that NYC, DC, Miami, Las Vegas, San Fran., Seattle, LA, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Montreal, Quebec City, Toronto, Waterloo and who can't forget Mountain View and Palo Alto (yes!), will get some Blackberry stores in the future!
    06-19-13 04:12 AM
    I think it makes sense to open them in a limited way for now. As a side effect the blackberry experts at the store can offer a bit of tech support for people too.

IMO there are enough products for a store. Bbos devices, wifi PlayBook, 4g PlayBook, q10, z10, q5, and soon to be an a10, then just fill out the store with different accessories

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 04:59 AM
    Outside of Dubai where they purchase diamond encrusted 9900's, there is not enough Crackberry members in any one spot to support a store. Hey, maybe Kevin can convince Prem Watsa to back Crackberry storefronts.
    06-19-13 05:58 AM
    I think it makes sense to open them in a limited way for now. As a side effect the blackberry experts at the store can offer a bit of tech support for people too.

IMO there are enough products for a store. Bbos devices, wifi PlayBook, 4g PlayBook, q10, z10, q5, and soon to be an a10, then just fill out the store with different accessories

Posted via CB10
    Note to store manager: make sure you stock a feather duster for the Playbook display.

I do like the idea of a BB kiosk somewhere in a mall in all major centers. Fewer complaints made on this site and redirected to the Kiosks.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 06-19-13 at 08:58 AM.
    06-19-13 06:00 AM
    Note to store manager: make sure you stock a feather duster for the Playbook display.

I do like the idea of a BB kiosk somewhere in a mall in all major centers. Fewer complaints made on this site and redirected to the Kiosks.
    Just like when people go to Apple Stores to complain about how their apps are crashing all the time.
    06-24-13 04:12 PM
    Time to revisit this thread! Some people over at iMore were saying that they prefer the iPhone was better than a Blackberry because simply of the support they get, compared to no support (just PDFs) for BB. Doesn't this call for a Blackberry Retail presence and actual support in North America?
    11-25-13 02:25 AM
    It's all about self-help. Direct people to crackberry's forums, or blackberry's forums. Help them out with knowledge, show them the way of the blackberry.

Time to revisit this thread! Some people over at iMore were saying that they prefer the iPhone was better than a Blackberry because simply of the support they get, compared to no support (just PDFs) for BB. Doesn't this call for a Blackberry Retail presence and actual support in North America?
    11-25-13 02:33 AM
109 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD