Hey fellow addicts,

I was reading through another post regarding an article written about BB OS6 that was basically extremely biased and bashed BB all together. Anyways, in that thread I found an interesting post:

I'd really like to know what these smartphone adopters really think a smartphone is, because playing monkey ball and downloading 30 versions of the same app regardless of its OS, cpu, screensize is not that 'smart'.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    That really got me thinking. What IS a smartphone?

Personally, I think a smart phone is a phone that has advanced organizational capabilities, able to combine multiple email accounts, instant messages, web events, web information, etc. all into one device, conveniently.

Do I consider the BlackBerry a smart phone? Absolutely. I'm pretty sure they invented it.

Do I consider the iPhone a smart phone? I'm not really sure. Granted, it is a very advanced device, however I don't believe it focuses on the definition of organization, but rather entertainment.

*I have zero experience with Droid devices, but they seem fairly entertainment-oriented as well.

Bottom line?

For me, a smart phone is a phone that lets someone make/receive calls, and then organize their entire life, with a little entertainment here and there.

To me, the iPhone does not fit that description.

I now open this discussion that I don't think has ever really been thought about before.. It certainly got me thinking.

Regards,
    Spiel

EDIT: Found this, seems pretty good to me: Smartphone - What is a Smartphone - Definition
    Last edited by spielll; 07-17-10 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Spelling/grammatical error
    07-17-10 11:17 PM
    Smartphone, as a definition is something of a moving target and quite honestly
    really meaningless.

For the sake of argument however, a smartphone may be described as a platform
    with it's on Operating System and offers extended capabilities and have the ability
    to run more advanced applications.

Basically more advanced than a "feature phone" though not quite rising to the level
    of a mini-computer.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/defi...tphone-192958/
    07-17-10 11:26 PM
    Smartphone, as a definition is something of a moving target and quite honestly
    really meaningless.

For the sake of argument however, a smartphone may be described as a platform
    with it's on Operating System and offers extended capabilities and have the ability
    to run more advanced applications.

Basically more advanced than a "feature phone" though not quite rising to the level
    of a mini-computer.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/defi...tphone-192958/
    As you say, it's a moving target. What you describe here can also be applied to many regular phones these days.

I think one of the biggest things these days is probably the screen and keyboard otherwise most phones can download and run apps. Just my thoughts anyhow.
    07-18-10 01:11 AM
    ...What IS a smartphone?

Personally, I think a smart phone is a phone that has advanced organizational capabilities, able to combine multiple email accounts, instant messages, web events, web information, etc. all into one device, conveniently.
    A smart phone is only as smart as...
    ...or rather, it's capabilities are limited my it's user.

BB is definitely a smart phone! It would take a serious 'power user' to exploit all it's features and capabilities.
    07-18-10 02:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD