"Outlook" tasks, including email, contacts, calendar, notes, and tasks, are the most critical requirement for my mobile device, as they are high frequency and of critical business importance because of their impact on revenue and customer satisfaction.

I also use the browser, maps, and, of course, the phone, extensively, as well as Box, Dropbox, and OneNote for file storage for email attachments. (My ability to quickly attach files from any or all of those to any message without returning to the home screen is of critical importance for productivity.)

I also use the camera multiple times a month, with images synced to OneDrive.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-16 11:13 AM
    I can't agree. The BB10 Hub and gestures, and integration of the core bundled apps for contacts, calendar, notes and tasks are light-years ahead of those phones. My Z10 outperforms my iPad and Android tablets for so many high-frequency tasks.

I will completely concede the insufficiency of BB10s Android runtime for using third party apps, but even the best high-end Android phones can't match the speed and ease of use of BB10 for accurately triaging and responding to high volumes of email on multiple corporate accounts.

BB10 is STILL an industrial strength, best-in-class mobile OS for its core functionality. The problem is that most of the market cares more about using third party Android/iOS apps than integrating with enterprise Exchange -style communications servers.

But for people whose work flow in 2016 still looks a lot like it did in 2007, meaning that it is still PC-centered with smartphones being used primarily for staying on top of high volumes of time-sensitive email when away from the computer (a surprisingly large minority of enterprise users), BB10 is still very, very effective.

For months now I have carried a small Android tablet with me, just in case I need an App I can't use on BB10, at a time when my PC is not convenient, but I have only turned it on once in the past 60 days. I am on my phone 6-10 hours a day and use it for 90% of my email communications, which means reading an average of 300 messages a day and sending 100+.

If I wanted to replace my laptop with a phone, I would have to use Android or iOS, but that would be a disaster for my productivity. My BB10 is a much better compliment to my PC precisely because it is better at the tasks that I need to get done when away from a desk.

There are many users for whom Android or iOS are a better choice, because they want or need to use Android or iOS apps frequently and perhaps don't need to do significant amounts of their work on a powerful PC. This is the current mainstream market.

But there are still people who have to work on PCs to create their primary work products and who need a smartphone for real-time communications via email when away from their desk and who do not use third party Android or iOS apps for work. BB10 may still be a superior choice for this subset of users.

Posted via CB10
    Since getting my PRIV, I don't have to reach for desktop/laptop/notebook/ tablet most days anymore. I'm handling emails just like on my BB10 devices. At first, hub on PRIV was "inferior" but after 7-10 days, I adjusted. Now it seems the opposite. PRIV hub wasn't inferior, just different. Now the BB10 hub feels different. PRIV to my other Android devices, way different. I now feel close enough to BB10 while having a fully usable ecosystem. It took about two weeks and I have not fired up my passport since. This change was very much like the move from BBOS7 to BB10 three years ago. You miss the features and familiarity of the old system but you know progress only moves forward.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-18-16 11:29 AM
    There is some speculation that BlackBerry would not be able to release a new BB10 phone if it had the forked Android runtime. Some have seen this as a possibility that BlackBerry would release a "pure" version of BB10 without the Android Runtime.

Not going to happen... No Runtime means no Android Apps (Amazon, Cobalt, SNAP, Sideloading, or BBW Ports), it means very few optional Browsers as the native browser become less compatible.
    What are those incompatibilities with the native browser?

Posted via CB10
    07-18-16 11:32 AM
    Since getting my PRIV, I don't have to reach for desktop/laptop/notebook/ tablet most days anymore. I'm handling emails just like on my BB10 devices. At first, hub on PRIV was "inferior" but after 7-10 days, I adjusted. Now it seems the opposite. PRIV hub wasn't inferior, just different. Now the BB10 hub feels different. PRIV to my other Android devices, way different. I now feel close enough to BB10 while having a fully usable ecosystem. It took about two weeks and I have not fired up my passport since. This change was very much like the move from BBOS7 to BB10 three years ago. You miss the features and familiarity of the old system but you know progress only moves forward.

That's great to hear. It really does come down to a detailed use case and requirements analysis. Other than email, I can do less than 5% of my work on any mobile OS, because I require dedicated graphics, a large monitor, keyboard, a fast, multi-threading processor, and plenty of RAM, not to mention software that is generally unavailable for mobile devices. I need my mobile device as a communications and web-browsing appliance when at my desktop/laptop (I can't waste processing power on Outlook or the browser when running data-intensive processes because it eats up threads!). In this environment, BB10 is still superior for me. I am hopeful that one day soon, the Android version of the Hub will allow me to switch.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-16 12:27 PM
    What are those incompatibilities with the native browser?

Posted via CB10
    Native browser doesn't meet many of the newer requirements for secure sites. Many are using 3rd party browsers these days... and many of those are Android built.

It's possible that with 10.3.3, that BlackBerry updates the browser and makes it more compatible.
    07-18-16 01:07 PM
    "The company�s decisions will be driven by what its customers want, whether that�s pure BB10 phones or Android-based ones. " - Marty Beard BlackBerry.

Does a pure BB10 phone include Android Runtime?
    Short answer.

No.

TMO  PP SE,SQW100-4/10.3.2.2876
    Bbnivende and acovey like this.
    07-18-16 02:30 PM
    My point was and is that there is virtually no market for a new smartphone that has very few apps.
    07-18-16 08:33 PM
    That's great to hear. It really does come down to a detailed use case and requirements analysis. Other than email, I can do less than 5% of my work on any mobile OS, because I require dedicated graphics, a large monitor, keyboard, a fast, multi-threading processor, and plenty of RAM, not to mention software that is generally unavailable for mobile devices. I need my mobile device as a communications and web-browsing appliance when at my desktop/laptop (I can't waste processing power on Outlook or the browser when running data-intensive processes because it eats up threads!). In this environment, BB10 is still superior for me. I am hopeful that one day soon, the Android version of the Hub will allow me to switch.

Posted via CB10
    I guess that's what I was hoping to communicate. I've used and loved BlackBerry since a 950 and then a 7200 series. Through all the BES/BIS versions of devices offered through AT&T or direct through ShopBlackBerry, I was really frustrated / angry when I shifted to BB10 in early 2013. It was nothing like BBOS7 and yet I forced myself to migrate. It took until 10.2 and being able to delete emails from device only that I began to accept BB10 several months later. All I was saying is that BB10 to DroidBerry was a less than one month shift. This was a lot better now than last time. Was merely offering some positive hope over Android phones that I've never enjoyed like this PRIV. I think it will get better. My only concern now is that if BlackBerry exits hardware, I will lose this better than other Android experience. Good luck.

Mecca EL likes this.
    07-18-16 10:19 PM
    I think that many here over estimate the value of BB10 and under estimate the value of having a PKB.

Blackberry has not brought a good PKB phone using Android and once they do , I think that many BB10 fans will move on. The device is more important than the OS IMO.

It is only the PKB and great form factor that has been keeping BBOS and BB10 alive. Ask yourself if you would purchase a BBOS or BB10 all touch device today.
    Would have to disagree with you on this, I would say a lot of people underestimate the through power of bb os and its uniqueness.
    acovey likes this.
    07-19-16 06:21 AM
    Would have to disagree with you on this, I would say a lot of people underestimate the through power of bb os and its uniqueness.
    I bought the Z10 specifically to see how well BlackBerry implemented BB10 for touchscreen and am still using it as my daily driver three years later. If you took away my z10 today and gave me $1000 to buy any available phone, I would buy another Z10 and give you the rest of your money back. It's very far from perfect, but I haven't found a better phone for my needs.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-16 01:50 PM
    "For my needs " .....
    07-19-16 09:00 PM
    "For my needs " .....
    Right. What's your point? I would never claim to speak for anyone else.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-16 10:12 PM
    I think that many here over estimate the value of BB10 and under estimate the value of having a PKB.

Blackberry has not brought a good PKB phone using Android and once they do , I think that many BB10 fans will move on. The device is more important than the OS IMO.

It is only the PKB and great form factor that has been keeping BBOS and BB10 alive. Ask yourself if you would purchase a BBOS or BB10 all touch device today.
    Sorry I disagree with the Android portion of of your comment. My ideal phone would have BB10, PKB, tool belt, and be a slider. I miss my 9810 but it's still here back in it's box. In the mean time the close as thing to a real Blackberry is a Classic.
    07-19-16 11:22 PM
    I do not imagine that we will see a new BB10 device that will only run apps that do not require run time. BlackBerry phones will live or die based on the success or failure of the three new Android phones. The Mercury maybe the last PKB phone so you might seriously consider buying one.

Hold on to your BB10 phones as long as you can, I am glad they meet your needs.

Posted via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-20-16 02:06 AM
    I bought the Z10 specifically to see how well BlackBerry implemented BB10 for touchscreen and am still using it as my daily driver three years later. If you took away my z10 today and gave me $1000 to buy any available phone, I would buy another Z10 and give you the rest of your money back. It's very far from perfect, but I haven't found a better phone for my needs.

Posted via CB10
    You raise an interesting point. My Z10 is no longer my daily driver in large part because of there is no official Google maps. The battery was not a huge issue because I have three.

On the other hand, my wife's iPhone 5 is ticking along beautifully. All the apps she could want and no slow down in performance. The camera is really good and of course facetime is used extensively.
    07-20-16 10:18 AM
    "What is a pure BB10 phone?"

In my opinion a pure BlackBerry phone is a BlackBerry running OS 10 that has been designed by them with or without an Android runtime. Speaking of that, it'd be interesting to see how a BlackBerry 10 phone runs without the runtime. If we ever even see such a phone that is...
    07-22-16 09:17 PM
    "What is a pure BB10 phone?"

In my opinion a pure BlackBerry phone is a BlackBerry running OS 10 that has been designed by them with or without an Android runtime. Speaking of that, it'd be interesting to see how a BlackBerry 10 phone runs without the runtime. If we ever even see such a phone that is...
    You will never see a pure BB10 model of anything. It would have like 12 native apps if you count a blackberry flashlight. Plus there's nobody that would build it for blackberry for no guaranteed minimum. Look at what happened to blackphone. Why do you think next Android phone will be a rebadged Alcatel ?

JeepBB likes this.
    07-23-16 02:27 PM
    You will never see a pure BB10 model of anything. It would have like 12 native apps if you count a blackberry flashlight. Plus there's nobody that would build it for blackberry for no guaranteed minimum. Look at what happened to blackphone. Why do you think next Android phone will be a rebadged Alcatel ?

Even if BlackBerry never offers one, you can effectively run a pure BlackBerry phone by stopping all the Android apps in Settings, and creating an "Android Apps" folder on the last page of your home screen to hide the apps you can't delete.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-16 03:20 PM
    Even if BlackBerry never offers one, you can effectively run a pure BlackBerry phone by stopping all the Android apps in Settings, and creating an "Android Apps" folder on the last page of your home screen to hide the apps you can't delete.

Posted via CB10
    The Android runtime is still running in the background and using up battery and RAM, even if you have no Android apps (you can confirm this through device monitor).
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-23-16 07:19 PM
    That's true, but it doesn't use many resources if there are no apps calling it.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-16 09:04 AM
70 123