I don't care about Android runtime, if you want android just grab one. I will definitely buy a new BB10 without Android, the current active developers deserve that.

Posted via CB10
    This is how I feel too. BlackBerry could do away with the Android Runtime completely on BlackBerry 10 phones, and it wouldn't matter to me.

Posted via CB10
    Alexandre Faustino and acovey like this.
    07-15-16 01:13 PM
    Been using the Amazon Candy Crush app on my two Z30s for a long time. It has only been asking for my location. Suddenly the latest update wants ALL the permissions! Fagedaboudid!!! I will delete the app. I have downloaded a few Amazon apps, but don't use them because of the permissions. So, basically, I am already using pure BB10 phones!!

I have an iPad to play games.

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>Z30>< Lumia950
    07-15-16 09:32 PM
    Been using the Amazon Candy Crush app on my two Z30s for a long time. It has only been asking for my location. Suddenly the latest update wants ALL the permissions! Fagedaboudid!!! I will delete the app. I have downloaded a few Amazon apps, but don't use them because of the permissions. So, basically, I am already using pure BB10 phones!!

I have an iPad to play games.

Its not just about "playing games". For instance, I use the android version of facebook messenger because Nems one is aweful to say the least and without API's he cannot do much about it. Another reason, I use instagram a lot and the native Inst10 cannot tag other users correctly in comments so I load up the android apk version to perform those tasks.

The key issue with BlackBerry 10 is, and always has been, apps... simply put, if you were to remove the android runtime you would be cutting the current dwindling app ecosystem in half.

PP SE - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    07-16-16 07:11 AM
    Its not just about "playing games". For instance, I use the android version of facebook messenger because Nems one is aweful to say the least and without API's he cannot do much about it. Another reason, I use instagram a lot and the native Inst10 cannot tag other users correctly in comments so I load up the android apk version to perform those tasks.

The key issue with BlackBerry 10 is, and always has been, apps... simply put, if you were to remove the android runtime you would be cutting the current dwindling app ecosystem in half.

More than half.
    Even ignoring those silly map apps it would be more than half.
    07-16-16 09:12 AM

I realize it's not about the games. I was just pointing out that I already have a pure BB10 phone LOL. I would like a surveillance app for my home Security.

07-16-16 01:36 PM
    Sorry but the "right time" for BB10 was back in Feb 2013... actually think the right time would have been pre 2010.

BB10 might be stable (for you) and might be very good (for you) and even usable (for you). But you are not the market, and the market has spoken with a very loud and clear voice... To BlackBerry, to Microsoft, to Jolla, to Firefox and even to TIzen: "You want to be a mobile OS you had better have the ecosystem to back it up!" And sadly developers have also spoken... "we are happy reaching 98% of the users, don't have time for you OS with fractional user bases."

Yes BB10 is a great OS, yes it had a lot of potential and was probably better than both iOS and Android... as an OS. But people don't buy OS, they buy platforms. And nothing BlackBerry can do will get them their own platform at this point in time.

As for Android... yeah probably won't work. The end-to-end market probably is large enough and probably won't be quick enough to move to BlackBerry's Android solution. I doubt Chen has more than a couple of quarters to turn things around.... And I've never taught they would be able to compete as a reseller of hardware in the Android consumer market. But they have a better chance then sticking with BB10.
    I'm not saying that BB10 is for everyone, not either they go catch the big 2, but could potential be the 3rd one because companies and much people doesn't care about games and other apps that kids do.

But i understand your point and i agree, but BB10 cannot be compared to Android and iOS, it's not for masses, it's for business.
    acovey likes this.
    07-16-16 03:03 PM
    I'm not saying that BB10 is for everyone, not either they go catch the big 2, but could potential be the 3rd one because companies and much people doesn't care about games and other apps that kids do.

But i understand your point and i agree, but BB10 cannot be compared to Android and iOS, it's not for masses, it's for business.
    There is little place for a third player in the market. If 98-99% of the market is fine with two, what point is it to cater to the 1%?

And while the other platforms might have games for people who aren't pretentious fart-sniffers "professionals", they also have apps for those who are interested in platforms to get work done: cloud storage, document collaboration, databases, all things that have evaded the bit players like BlackBerry 10.
    07-16-16 03:37 PM
    There is little place for a third player in the market. If 98-99% of the market is fine with two, what point is it to cater to the 1%?

And while the other platforms might have games for people who aren't pretentious fart-sniffers "professionals", they also have apps for those who are interested in platforms to get work done: cloud storage, document collaboration, databases, all things that have evaded the bit players like BlackBerry 10.
    My issue with using my smartphone or tablet to get real work done is that 99.9% of the time it would be faster to boot up my laptop for the same task. It's hard to beat the combo of
    - More horsepower (memory, graphics and processor)
    - Greater screen real estate
    - Full keyboard and number pad

As SSDs have reduced boot times, I find myself only using my smartphone for pure text and email communication and quick Web searches. I used to keep either an iPad or Android tablet in my bag, but haven't carried either for months now. My laptop is just so much better.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-16 04:30 PM
    My issue with using my smartphone or tablet to get real work done is that 99.9% of the time it would be faster to boot up my laptop for the same task. It's hard to beat the combo of
    - More horsepower (memory, graphics and processor)
    - Greater screen real estate
    - Full keyboard and number pad

As SSDs have reduced boot times, I find myself only using my smartphone for pure text and email communication and quick Web searches. I used to keep either an iPad or Android tablet in my bag, but haven't carried either for months now. My laptop is just so much better.

Posted via CB10
    I am the opposite. My laptop usage has decreased greatly since October 2014 when I purchased my Passport. However, I have probably do not have as much heavy lifting as I used to either as far as word processing etc goes.
    07-16-16 04:45 PM
    I think that many here over estimate the value of BB10 and under estimate the value of having a PKB.

Blackberry has not brought a good PKB phone using Android and once they do , I think that many BB10 fans will move on. The device is more important than the OS IMO.

It is only the PKB and great form factor that has been keeping BBOS and BB10 alive. Ask yourself if you would purchase a BBOS or BB10 all touch device today.
    Alexandre Faustino likes this.
    07-16-16 06:18 PM
    I still think they should have tried to get Amazon to develop the Android Runtime on BB10. Amazon have a lot of experience with their own forked version of Android. They are also 'allowed' to do so because they aren't hindered by Google's anti-competitive 'agreements'.
    07-16-16 06:23 PM

To each their own, but some people still want to use their phone primarily for messaging and a bit of light browsing, rather than using it for cloud-based database collaboration.
    07-16-16 06:26 PM
    To each their own, but some people still want to use their phone primarily for messaging and a bit of light browsing, rather than using it for cloud-based database collaboration.
    'Some" should be edited as ".03 percent" .
    07-16-16 07:30 PM
    What is "pure" BB10 phone?

Its the drinking buddy of the "pure" BB10 PlayBook and the "pure" Easter Bunny.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-16-16 07:39 PM
    'Some" should be edited as ".03 percent" .
    I really doubt it.
    07-16-16 08:03 PM
    I really doubt it.
    What do you think the number is then?
    07-16-16 08:13 PM
    They could market BB10 or BBOS as a high quality , world's best, feature phone. Some of these feature phones are expensive. There are some good profits to be had in feature phones.

http://www.appcessories.co.uk/punkt-...ected-weekend/
    07-16-16 08:42 PM
    What do you think the number is then?
    Probably the majority of people only use a fraction of the available apps on their phone. Even people who have iPhones and Androids, the extent of their app usage is social media and maybe a few games. The BB10 platform is perfectly capable of handling these needs from a technical point of view, it just lacks the developer commitment.
    07-16-16 09:07 PM
    Probably the majority of people only use a fraction of the available apps on their phone. Even people who have iPhones and Androids, the extent of their app usage is social media and maybe a few games. The BB10 platform is perfectly capable of handling these needs from a technical point of view, it just lacks the developer commitment.
    Edit " is" to "was" .
    07-16-16 09:49 PM
    So no number then?
    07-16-16 10:13 PM
    A pure BB10 phone is one free of useful apps
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-16-16 10:36 PM
    I am the opposite. My laptop usage has decreased greatly since October 2014 when I purchased my Passport. However, I have probably do not have as much heavy lifting as I used to either as far as word processing etc goes.
    For me the issue is that almost every work task these days includes some degree of multimedia content creation and review, mathematical calculation, multiple Web sites and other tasks that simply suck on a Smart Phone. I need a keyboard with a number pad, a mouse and a decent-sized monitor with 4-5 full-featured applications open to get stuff done.

My phone is great for communication, but my computers pay the rent.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-16 12:42 AM
    It's basically a feature phone with a PKB. Think of all the cheap $20 non blackberry or android phones that had a full keyboard for texting and email circa 2010. AKA Burner phone with PKB to send ransom demands quickly.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-17-16 10:07 AM
    It's basically a feature phone with a PKB. Think of all the cheap $20 non blackberry or android phones that had a full keyboard for texting and email circa 2010. AKA Burner phone with PKB to send ransom demands quickly.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I can't agree. The BB10 Hub and gestures, and integration of the core bundled apps for contacts, calendar, notes and tasks are light-years ahead of those phones. My Z10 outperforms my iPad and Android tablets for so many high-frequency tasks.

I will completely concede the insufficiency of BB10s Android runtime for using third party apps, but even the best high-end Android phones can't match the speed and ease of use of BB10 for accurately triaging and responding to high volumes of email on multiple corporate accounts.

BB10 is STILL an industrial strength, best-in-class mobile OS for its core functionality. The problem is that most of the market cares more about using third party Android/iOS apps than integrating with enterprise Exchange -style communications servers.

But for people whose work flow in 2016 still looks a lot like it did in 2007, meaning that it is still PC-centered with smartphones being used primarily for staying on top of high volumes of time-sensitive email when away from the computer (a surprisingly large minority of enterprise users), BB10 is still very, very effective.

For months now I have carried a small Android tablet with me, just in case I need an App I can't use on BB10, at a time when my PC is not convenient, but I have only turned it on once in the past 60 days. I am on my phone 6-10 hours a day and use it for 90% of my email communications, which means reading an average of 300 messages a day and sending 100+.

If I wanted to replace my laptop with a phone, I would have to use Android or iOS, but that would be a disaster for my productivity. My BB10 is a much better compliment to my PC precisely because it is better at the tasks that I need to get done when away from a desk.

There are many users for whom Android or iOS are a better choice, because they want or need to use Android or iOS apps frequently and perhaps don't need to do significant amounts of their work on a powerful PC. This is the current mainstream market.

But there are still people who have to work on PCs to create their primary work products and who need a smartphone for real-time communications via email when away from their desk and who do not use third party Android or iOS apps for work. BB10 may still be a superior choice for this subset of users.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-16 10:38 AM
    I am on my phone 6-10 hours a day and use it for 90% of my email communications, which means reading an average of 300 messages a day and sending 100+.
    Do you do anything else besides email?
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-18-16 11:05 AM
70 123