"The company�s decisions will be driven by what its customers want, whether that�s pure BB10 phones or Android-based ones. " - Marty Beard BlackBerry.

Does a pure BB10 phone include Android Runtime? Maybe BlackBerry could get access to Android Play At Work under BES ?
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 07-12-16 at 11:08 AM.
    07-12-16 10:40 AM
    There is some speculation that BlackBerry would not be able to release a new BB10 phone if it had the forked Android runtime. Some have seen this as a possibility that BlackBerry would release a "pure" version of BB10 without the Android Runtime.

Not going to happen... No Runtime means no Android Apps (Amazon, Cobalt, SNAP, Sideloading, or BBW Ports), it means very few optional Browsers as the native browser become less compatible.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-12-16 10:53 AM
    It also means a large number of apps in BB World, which are actually "ported" Android apps that were "wrapped" in a BAR file and uploaded by their developers, wouldn't work either. Many aren't aware of how many of these apps are in BB World, and assume anything there is native, but without the Runtime, those "ported" apps won't work either.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-12-16 08:57 PM
    They should go pure BB10. That and an up to date Browser would probably carry the platform for most of its remaining die-hards. Heck, I would consider going back myself (with updated hardware of course) just for the pure simplicity of it.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    togarika and ayngling like this.
    07-12-16 10:26 PM
    They should go pure BB10. That and an up to date Browser would probably carry the platform for most of its remaining die-hards. Heck, I would consider going back myself (with updated hardware of course) just for the pure simplicity of it.

A pure BB10 devices with a few native apps will be the best. Count me in.

Long Live BB10!
    acovey likes this.
    07-13-16 07:46 AM
    A "pure" BB10 phone would make me very, very happy. I would pay a premium to AVOID the Android Runtime,

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    07-13-16 08:48 AM
    They are actually easier to define than you think 'a handset that requires a write down'.
    07-13-16 09:38 AM
    Android runtime could be offered and maintained by a developer outside BlackBerry and should cost.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-16 09:49 AM
    A "pure" BB10 phone would make me very, very happy. I would pay a premium to AVOID the Android Runtime,

Posted via CB10
    To see BB10 without the Runtime (and without BBM in my case) might have been very interesting... Think we never got to see the real performance potential of BB10.

But that's just wishful thinking... the reality is it would be useless.
    07-13-16 09:51 AM
    the reality is it would be useless.
    .....for the VAST majority of people. (fixed that for you)
    07-13-16 09:53 AM
    Pure BlackBerry10 without whatsapp would never sell in Europe...

Posted via CB10
    07-13-16 09:58 AM
    To see BB10 without the Runtime (and without BBM in my case) might have been very interesting... Think we never got to see the real performance potential of BB10.

I second that!

At this stage of the game we are losing support from native developers (WhatsApp) so the android versions are being depended on more.

I wouldn't like to have BlackBerry 10 without the added option of android apps. I don't use them a lot due to battery drain but they're there when needed. In fact, I use the android instagram as the native third-party clients don't include all the features.

If BlackBerry do release a "pure BB10" device then in my mind it will bt their way of killing BlackBerry 10 slowly, limb by limb...

PP SE - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    07-13-16 10:07 AM
    All my BlackBerry 10 devices running perfectly well without any of the A-RT, which I always deleted via Sachesi anyway or never installed with any new OS10 update, parent control disabled the RT as well, no A-port or any side loaded APK at all, even the sub folder in /misc/Android are erased.

Very happy with my 70 odd pure built-for-BlackBerry app's for ages no need for any Droid on any BlackBerry device.

Posted either via -Classic SQC100-1 or -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.++
    eiruvrav and acovey like this.
    07-13-16 10:41 AM

It would be very useful to me, but that doesn't mean it's a good business plan.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 07-14-16 at 10:14 AM.
    07-13-16 01:30 PM
    Personally, I would buy a "pure" BB10 phone without ART, because most of my apps from BBW are native.

There would be indeed around a dozen apps, that would stop working, but I have an iPad for that.
    07-14-16 02:43 AM
    Maybe some would buy it... but not enough to make it viable.

Especially if the formfactor, hardware components or prices was not what you might have hoped for..... Say a LEAP powered with the Passport's chipset... for $700?
    07-14-16 09:02 AM
    One with the awesomme BB10 OS.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-16 01:12 PM
    I could see BlackBerry issuing an updated Leap for enterprise. Some enterprise customers just use their phones for emailing and some browsing. Circa 2007.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-16 01:37 AM
    I could see BlackBerry issuing an updated Leap for enterprise. Some enterprise customers just use their phones for emailing and some browsing. Circa 2007.

Posted via CB10
    You forgot calendar, tasks, notes, camera, music, video, WiFi hotspot, and a ton of other functions that BB10 supports out of the box with no 3rd party apps.

Posted via CB10
    TCB on Z10 and acovey like this.
    07-15-16 07:54 AM
    I don't care about Android runtime, if you want android just grab one. I will definitely buy a new BB10 without Android, the current active developers deserve that.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    07-15-16 07:57 AM
    I don't care about Android runtime, if you want android just grab one. I will definitely buy a new BB10 without Android, the current active developers deserve that.

Posted via CB10
    But there isn't currently one coming... and I bet in two years (when Marty indicated they might look at returning to BB10) there won't be any active BB10 developers. Doubt even Nemory will still be here... at some point with no new users, his business will dry up. Unless he kills his apps himself and forces users to buy slightly different one. But active BB10 developers?

Developers Lounge - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com is a very quite place these days.
    07-15-16 08:11 AM
    But there isn't currently one coming... and I bet in two years (when Marty indicated they might look at returning to BB10) there won't be any active BB10 developers. Doubt even Nemory will still be here... at some point with no new users, his business will dry up. Unless he kills his apps himself and forces users to buy slightly different one. But active BB10 developers?

Developers Lounge - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com is a very quite place these days.
    Agree, active maybe wrong, but support in some way.

I think the right time to prove that BB10 is alive is now, the OS is stable and still very good and usable, Windows is going down even more, Sailfish it stuck too, no phones being sold by Jolla, and Blackberry could retain is current fan users, get back some of them and also try to get Android or iOS disappointed users.

In my modest opinion Blackberry and the Android strategy will fail.
    07-15-16 10:48 AM
    Agree, active maybe wrong, but support in some way.

I think the right time to prove that BB10 is alive is now, the OS is stable and still very good and usable, Windows is going down even more, Sailfish it stuck too, no phones being sold by Jolla, and Blackberry could retain is current fan users, get back some of them and also try to get Android or iOS disappointed users.

In my modest opinion Blackberry and the Android strategy will fail.
    Sorry but the "right time" for BB10 was back in Feb 2013... actually think the right time would have been pre 2010.

BB10 might be stable (for you) and might be very good (for you) and even usable (for you). But you are not the market, and the market has spoken with a very loud and clear voice... To BlackBerry, to Microsoft, to Jolla, to Firefox and even to TIzen: "You want to be a mobile OS you had better have the ecosystem to back it up!" And sadly developers have also spoken... "we are happy reaching 98% of the users, don't have time for you OS with fractional user bases."

Yes BB10 is a great OS, yes it had a lot of potential and was probably better than both iOS and Android... as an OS. But people don't buy OS, they buy platforms. And nothing BlackBerry can do will get them their own platform at this point in time.

As for Android... yeah probably won't work. The end-to-end market probably is large enough and probably won't be quick enough to move to BlackBerry's Android solution. I doubt Chen has more than a couple of quarters to turn things around.... And I've never taught they would be able to compete as a reseller of hardware in the Android consumer market. But they have a better chance then sticking with BB10.
    JeepBB and Mecca EL like this.
    07-15-16 11:17 AM

They need to have and app named BlackBerry Office that would rival Microsoft Office in every way. Doc To Go can't even open a csv file.

A native fax app. Better specs.

The browser sucks. Ever go to www.worldmate.com ? You can't even sign in because the BlackBerry browser won't show the sign in tab. There are lots of websites that have major problems on this phone. It's the phone. I use QBrowser and it does the same thing.

TMO  PP SE,SQW100-4/10.3.2.2876
    07-15-16 11:36 AM
    Sure BUT lots of Enterprise customers might get lost without a good map app AND the standard browser is not up to par either.

Personally, I do not see a future for BB10 no matter what. There is just no profits to be had. It remains to be seen whether or not Android can make it.

Just once, I would love to see a high spec 9900 running on Android.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-15-16 12:38 PM
70 123