I bought a Blackberry Z10 2 weeks after launch from EE in the UK and I was having problems with it random restarts etc. I took it to the EE store and the guy at the store was telling me that I was supposed to take it up with Blackberry and tried to help me find Blackberry Warranty Information but there was absolutely nothing so the only alternative was for EE to use their in-house team to fix the issues and provide me with a temporary phone.

I later decided to go with the Q10 for its better battery life and purchased one from ebay. I have had this for almost 3 months now and recently the touch screen has refused to work. EE will not support me this time because I didn't purchase the phone directly from them and there is no way to go directly to BlackBerry. This is definitely an issue. As much as I don't like apple products, within the first year, if you have any issue, you can take them into an apple store and get it fixed or even a replacement regardless of where you purchased it from.

Im not saying that BlackBerry should now open blackberry stores because I know they are currently in no position to, but there should be clear instructions on making warranty claims directly through BlackBerry. I've now had to buy some tools to try to fix it myself (There a really good video on youtube that shows you what the repair shop will do so might as well do it yourself with the tools) and it turns out I'm going to have to replace the screen + digitizer unit.

Is there even really a BlackBerry Warranty?

Edit: The Q10 from ebay was Brand New so only a few months old now (Q10 hasn't even been out for up to a year yet)
    Last edited by Nemzy; 03-18-14 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Incomplete Information
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    03-18-14 09:47 AM
    Where did you buy the Q from,

Posted via CB10
    03-18-14 09:49 AM
    I bought the Q from ebay
    Where did you buy the Q from,

Posted via CB10
    03-18-14 09:53 AM
    I bought the Q from ebay
    And you expected a warranty? Wtf?

Posted via CB10

Edit : nvm. Wrong assumptions
    John Pawling likes this.
    03-18-14 10:13 AM
    As stated above, When I bought my Z10 from EE, there was no warranty from BlackBerry

Secondly, If I buy an iPhone from ebay, as long as it is within the first year of purchase, it is still covered by apple.

Thats it TF.

And you expected a warranty? Wtf?

Posted via CB10
    lactose, Q10Bold and GeekzForever like this.
    03-18-14 10:15 AM
    I agree and I've said this before in other threads. If BlackBerry wants to be considered a premium product, have a warranty service to back it up. The double typing issue is plaguing many Q10 users, and a lot have to pay out of pocket with little or no acknowledgment from BlackBerry.
    BlackBerry's current warranty policy on their handsets is a joke, for a lack of better terms.

Q10
    03-18-14 10:35 AM
    Apple may be the exception, but typically, warranties apply only when purchased from a licensed retailer. As for EE, they are supposed to act as the middle man in warranty cases. If I have an issue, I take it back to where I bought it, they give me a loaner phone, they send it back for repair, and they call me when it's returned.

Posted via CB10
    John Pawling likes this.
    03-18-14 10:39 AM
    Yes that make sense. My issue is that when you take it to the retailer, as you stated, the retailer is supposed to be the middleman between you and the manufacturer, but with BlackBerry this doesn't seem to be the case.

I visited multiple EE stores and they advised me to send it to BlackBerry and when I told them I could find nothing online regarding Blackberry's Warranty, they had a look themselves and also found nothing so they were going to take it to their own repair centre which isn't really a warranty

Also Apple is not the exception. Samsung also offer an international warranty scheme regardless of where phone was purchased.
    The point of the warranty is that the phone, should not malfunction within the first year of use (irregardless of where it was purchased).

What happens if the phone is bought directly from BlackBerry and not through a retailer?

Apple may be the exception, but typically, warranties apply only when purchased from a licensed retailer. As for EE, they are supposed to act as the middle man in warranty cases. If I have an issue, I take it back to where I bought it, they give me a loaner phone, they send it back for repair, and they call me when it's returned.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-14 10:54 AM
    You'd have to get in touch with someone higher up at EE as it is most likely their responsibility to handle warranty service. A lot of the time, the front line people don't want to have to deal with the work involved in submitting warranty work. I've worked in retail and it can be a pain. As for direct purchases, I couldn't tell you how BlackBerry handles that as I've never bought direct since it's not available in Canada.

Posted via CB10
    John Pawling likes this.
    03-18-14 11:01 AM
    I understand. I bought a BB Z10 from BB. Upon receiving it, within 3 days it kept losing phone signal. I called BB and sent it back. It's going on three weeks and still no refund. I called and they needed MY tracking number to see if it arrived. They can't track by order or rma numbers. Now instead of 5 to 7 days for their stated refund, I'm looking at at least twice that.

Have no idea what it would be like getting it fixed instead of a refund. Don't want to find out. BB has a lot of things to fix.From advertising to customer service, to better hardware. And they're laying people off. It's going to be a major struggle for some time to come, if they want to pull out of this. I am not too happy with the way this purchase, refund has gone to date and it has soured me just a bit.
    03-18-14 12:51 PM
    When I bought my z10 at carrefour here in dubai when it came out. it stopped working a few weeks afterwards, I brought it back and a week later I received a new one ,guess to new to be fixed, but still , had no hassle.

Z30 Pooooooooower!!!
    03-18-14 01:00 PM
    It seemed at one time, BlackBerry did a pretty good job with PlayBook warranties. There are a few threads on CrackBerry with positive experiences. Maybe they just need to get whatever they did then going again.
    03-18-14 01:42 PM
    Well idk I got an ipod off of Amazon in its first year and didn't have a warranty on it

Posted via CB10
    John Pawling likes this.
    03-18-14 01:45 PM
    Where are you guys getting defective devices at?!
    03-18-14 02:21 PM
    I bought a Blackberry Z10 2 weeks after launch from EE in the UK and I was having problems with it random restarts etc. I took it to the EE store and the guy at the store was telling me that I was supposed to take it up with Blackberry and tried to help me find Blackberry Warranty Information but there was absolutely nothing so the only alternative was for EE to use their in-house team to fix the issues and provide me with a temporary phone.

I later decided to go with the Q10 for its better battery life and purchased one from ebay. I have had this for almost 3 months now and recently the touch screen has refused to work. EE will not support me this time because I didn't purchase the phone directly from them and there is no way to go directly to BlackBerry. This is definitely an issue. As much as I don't like apple products, within the first year, if you have any issue, you can take them into an apple store and get it fixed or even a replacement regardless of where you purchased it from.

Im not saying that BlackBerry should now open blackberry stores because I know they are currently in no position to, but there should be clear instructions on making warranty claims directly through BlackBerry. I've now had to buy some tools to try to fix it myself (There a really good video on youtube that shows you what the repair shop will do so might as well do it yourself with the tools) and it turns out I'm going to have to replace the screen + digitizer unit.

Edit: The Q10 from ebay was Brand New so only a few months old now (Q10 hasn't even been out for up to a year yet)

I agree a 100%, you warranty the device and not the person who bought it. I can take my used iPhone, iMac and/or iPad into any Apple store and as long as the Apple Care warranty is still valid, they will fix it. As long as the device is not stolen, you are all set. Shouldn't have to go thru some carrier and/or BS insurance company to get a warranty issue resolved. This is another reason Apple products have a high resale value.
    Nemzy likes this.
    03-18-14 02:56 PM
    Did you update the OS when you received your Z10?
    Updating the OS can solve a lot of the reboot issues and such you mentioned.
    Also, what happened with the shop repair? Did you leave it with them and used the replacement?
    Or you did not go that route? Maybe I missed what happened with that. You just jumped into buying a device from Ebay.
    I'm assuming you did not take that option if you are planning to do the repairs yourself?
    Also, did you purchase any insurance on your device?
    Even if there are problems with having a warranty honored, your insurance could replace it.
    For such an investment it would be prudent to get insurance on it.

I hope things work out for you.
    Nemzy likes this.
    03-18-14 03:01 PM
    What is the point of having warranty on a BlackBerry?
    Also, from what I'm reading, you did not have or couldn't find any warranty information anyway.
    So why did you expect to have a warranty in the first place?

I really hope things work out for you. The Z10 is a wonderful device!
    03-18-14 03:05 PM

I agree. Their warranty is a joke. If you need support beyond doing a hard reset their response: contact the carrier. They told this to me even when I bought it straight from blackberry! What carrier would I contact? Mine is still under a year old so it should have a warranty. They need to get better in this department.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-14 03:05 PM
    I agree a 100%, you warranty the device and not the person who bought it. I can take my used iPhone, iMac and/or iPad into any Apple store and as long as the Apple Care warranty is still valid, they will fix it. As long as the device is not stolen, you are all set. Shouldn't have to go thru some carrier and/or BS insurance company to get a warranty issue resolved. This is another reason Apple products have a high resale value.
    Apple Care is an add on warranty and is transferable. The standard warranty is to the original purchaser. Now, granted Apple does indeed have great customer service, this does not negate how standard product warranties work.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-14 03:11 PM
    I don't think retailers are supposed to act as middlemen on warranty claims, but they generally will have some type of limited time policy like that in effect to keep their customers happy. At least that's the American way I have become accustomed to in more than thirty years as a consumer. When dealing with the retailer fails I deal with companies directly.

Just a month ago I sent in two Leatherman Super Tools under the twenty-five year warranty -- both tools were more than fifteen years old -- and I received two new Leatherman Super Tools with new holsters in the mail a week and a half after I sent them in. Leatherman is an awesome company to deal with.

Right now I have an issue with American Standard concerning a toilet seat I bought at Lowes just over ninety days ago. Lowes was useless because it was day ninety one (it's a 90 day return policy) when I called with the problem, so I'm not too pleased with Lowes, but American Standard has been okay and trying so far. The issue has not been resolved. The new seat that shipped to me in 7-10 days came through damaged. When I called and asked for another, I received another damaged one in about five days. I'm not certain who is damaging these seats -- it could be the warehouse or it could be the shipper -- but now a third warranty seat has been ordered for me. Let's hope it comes through intact. I was told that the warehouse would inspect the seat and use extra packaging, but I stressed to customer service that that's not enough; the item has to be clearly marked FRAGILE and handled with care.

Today I exchanged a pair of Die Hard shoes I bought at Sears last week. The issue was probably not a true warranty issue, but Sears obliged me and handled it like a warranty claim. I had tried them on in the store and they had felt fine, but after wearing them over several days they started causing pain, and it became clear to me that I should have gotten a different size. Sears allowed me to swap out to a different size pair of the same shoe, and I was thrilled. I'll continue to buy at Sears because of this no-nonsense way the issue was handled to my satisfaction. Happy customer!

I think all established, reputable companies try to keep their customers happy to a reasonable extent, but it can be frustrating dealing with all the "life" issues that arise e.g. the toilet seat that keeps breaking during shipping and even with that I'm hopeful it will eventually get resolved. With BlackBerry, I think for me the difficulty would be shipping to Canada (cost and time involved) with 90% of the frustration being time without my expensive phone that I love. Hopefully if you're in the UK BlackBerry will tell you to send it to somewhere in the UK. Good luck with it. I can imagine what you're going through.
    Last edited by SmellWhole; 03-18-14 at 03:38 PM.
    03-18-14 03:18 PM
    Apple Care is an add on warranty and is transferable. The standard warranty is to the original purchaser. Now, granted Apple does indeed have great customer service, this does not negate how standard product warranties work.

Posted via CB10
    No, the original warranty also follows the device.

Q10
    03-18-14 03:34 PM
    Smellhole, your experience with Sears was not warranty, but their in house return/exchange policy. Some products like your tools, appliances, etc have to go through the company themselves, but others go through the place of purchase. I have worked in specialty retail before and in both markets I worked in, the manufacturer would direct the claimant to call the store to arrange for warranty work. I have also had 2 warranty claims on my cell phone years ago (a Sony, not BlackBerry) and was told after calling Sony to go to the retailer. I did that, they gave me a loaner and sent mine back for repair. Different retail products have different ways of handling things.
    03-18-14 03:36 PM
    Smellhole, your experience with Sears was not warranty, but their in house return/exchange policy. Some products like your tools, appliances, etc have to go through the company themselves, but others go through the place of purchase. I have worked in specialty retail before and in both markets I worked in, the manufacturer would direct the claimant to call the store to arrange for warranty work. I have also had 2 warranty claims on my cell phone years ago (a Sony, not BlackBerry) and was told after calling Sony to go to the retailer. I did that, they gave me a loaner and sent mine back for repair. Different retail products have different ways of handling things.
    Yes, I admitted it wasn't a true warranty issue -- there were no defects in materials or workmanship of the shoe -- but Sears, as a retailer, obliged me with a replacement $100.00 pair of shoes. Contrast that with Lowes' refusal to replace my $30 toilet seat which developed the problem after about 88 days of use (I just didn't get to it till one day after the 90 day return policy), and you can bet I'll continue to shop at Sears, but will have less loyalty to Lowes when I can just go to the Home Depot right next door.
    03-18-14 04:12 PM
    ... I have worked in specialty retail before and in both markets I worked in, the manufacturer would direct the claimant to call the store to arrange for warranty work ...
    And that's a nice thing. I asked American Standard customer service when I was arranging to have my third warranty toilet seat shipped to me if it would rather have me take the broken seat I had just received to Lowes or one of their other retailers and have me select one off the shelf which wasn't broken and was told American Standard wasn't set up that way with the retailers. I was just trying to save the company time and money which it would have to spend in shipping and handling, but it prefers to keep shipping me seats until I get one that's intact.
    03-18-14 04:19 PM
    Lowe's policy is to have taken care of you, no questions asked. If that made it to corporate, the local staff would have heard about it very harshly. What a silly way for that local store to lose a good customer.

But this is one category that BBRY could easily set it itself apart, and should.
    Namueab likes this.
    03-18-14 04:24 PM
41 12