Average users don't have the experience or training to know how to really camera quality. When comparing pictures side-by-side, they're going to choose the image that is brighter and has more contrast - even when those things aren't actually what you want.

It's the same reason that TVs - even the best TVs from the best manufacturers - in a showroom are always set on "Vivid", with hyper contrast, blown-out colors, and so forth - because if they are set properly, and the Vizio or TCL TV next to them is set to Vivid, people will think the "Vivid"-set TV "has a better picture" and that the other TVs are "washed out." The fact that Vivid looks garish and hurts your eyes doesn't occur to them.

If you showed those same photos to experienced photographers in the same way (without knowing where they came from), you'd get very different results - ones that would likely match up with professional reviews relatively well.
    The typical app on the iPhone is crap for taking photos.

Try Lightroom you can control it like an SLR
    06-27-20 05:12 PM
    It is an interesting question.

If BlackBerry don’t want to make the phone, why not just give away the patent?

It’s like being the patent troll who sued them
    Why would you ever relinquish your legal right to your own IP? Who knows what opportunities may present themselves in the future?

It would actually be illegal to behave that irresponsibly. A company has a fiduciary duty to its shareholders.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-27-20 06:30 PM
    It is an interesting question.

If BlackBerry don’t want to make the phone, why not just give away the patent?

It’s like being the patent troll who sued them
    There’s no such thing as patent troll. Development costs money...
    06-27-20 09:33 PM
    There’s no such thing as patent troll. Development costs money...
    Oh, there certainly is... but I wouldn't call BB a patent troll at all. BB spent a ton of time, money, and sweat to develop their patents, and they used nearly all of them to create devices and software and things, and they absolutely deserve to enforce their patents until they expire.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    06-27-20 11:27 PM
    I was referring to that Patent troll NTP who made and developed absolutely nothing. Sued BlackBerry for hundreds of millions
    06-28-20 12:53 AM
    I was referring to that Patent troll NTP who made and developed absolutely nothing. Sued BlackBerry for hundreds of millions
    Correct. People who call BlackBerry a patent troll don't understand the term. NTP is a perfect example of a genuine pate t troll.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    idssteve likes this.
    06-28-20 12:00 PM
    Why would you ever relinquish your legal right to your own IP? Who knows what opportunities may present themselves in the future?

It would actually be illegal to behave that irresponsibly. A company has a fiduciary duty to its shareholders.
    I used to work in the Generic Pharmaceutical industry where patents expire after 20 years - I can’t remember how long tech patents are valid for

I understand why BlackBerry would want to protect their patents as yes it takes time and money to develop new technologies
    Rico4you likes this.
    06-28-20 11:21 PM
    I used to work in the Generic Pharmaceutical industry where patents expire after 20 years - I can’t remember how long tech patents are valid for

I understand why BlackBerry would want to protect their patents as yes it takes time and money to develop new technologies
    Design patent is generally granted for 14 years, Utility patent is generally for 20 years..... but periodic fees are required to maintain the enforceability of some patents. So if the owner chooses not to pay those maintenance fees....

There are plenty of keyboard designs that BlackBerry doesn't have a patent on, that's not what's holding back OEMs.

Trademark, Copyright and Trade Secret or different solutions....
    06-29-20 07:26 AM
    Design patent is generally granted for 14 years, Utility patent is generally for 20 years..... but periodic fees are required to maintain the enforceability of some patents. So if the owner chooses not to pay those maintenance fees....

There are plenty of keyboard designs that BlackBerry doesn't have a patent on, that's not what's holding back OEMs.

Trademark, Copyright and Trade Secret or different solutions....
    It’s the market

Do we expect people who need a PKB to pay more

I’m not so sure
    06-29-20 08:57 AM
    It’s the market

Do we expect people who need a PKB to pay more

I’m not so sure
    Personally, if I'm going to use a pkb, it has to be the best. Otherwise it would not be an improvement over an excellent virtual keyboard. That's why the Titan is a non-starter for me. I'm not a "pkb-at-all-costs" kind of person.
    06-29-20 09:05 AM
    Personally, if I'm going to use a pkb, it has to be the best. Otherwise it would not be an improvement over an excellent virtual keyboard. That's why the Titan is a non-starter for me. I'm not a "pkb-at-all-costs" kind of person.
    But you are a "I'll pay you an extra $200 for a midgrade phone to get a PKB" type person, and can live without getting updates on a phone as long as you have patches.

There is a "cost" to PKB phones...
    06-29-20 10:13 AM
    But you are a "I'll pay you an extra $200 for a midgrade phone to get a PKB" type person, and can live without getting updates on a phone as long as you have patches.

I’m going to side with Conite

It’s a compromise. If you want a PKB, you get a mid range phone, if you want a high end phone, you don’t get the keyboard
    ppeters914 likes this.
    06-29-20 10:16 AM

For sure. But that just accentuates my point. I'm willing to pay extra for a class-A keyboard. But it NEEDS to be class-A to provide me with value-add.

I'm not hung up on flagship specs anyway, as that's not the kind of slab phone I would buy either.

For what I do, I would never benefit from an 800 series SoC or a world-class camera. For the most part, I just punch out text all day.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    06-29-20 10:17 AM
    For sure. But that just accentuates my point. I'm willing to pay extra for a class-A keyboard. But it NEEDS to be class-A to provide me with value-add.

I'm not hung up on flagship specs anyway, as that's not the kind of slab phone I would buy either.

For what I do, I would never benefit from an 800 series SoC or a world-class camera. For the most part, I just punch out text all day.
    Not as much fun as punching out people though
    06-29-20 02:13 PM
    Not as much fun as punching out people though
    Seems most viral cams of fights are done with a 1MP camera with a smudged lens at 10x digital zoom.
    06-29-20 02:18 PM
    Seems most viral cams of fights are done with a 1MP camera with a smudged lens at 10x digital zoom.
    LMAO
    06-29-20 02:19 PM
    Isn't that the truth!?
    06-29-20 02:56 PM

I believe most users are coming to the same conclusion(s). Despite the dire economic conditions in many places here in US due to COVID the mid-range sub 400 (or 1 year removed flagship) sure does get an average user an awful lot.
    06-29-20 03:43 PM
    I believe most users are coming to the same conclusion(s). Despite the dire economic conditions in many places here in US due to COVID the mid-range sub 400 (or 1 year removed flagship) sure does get an average user an awful lot.
    But what do you need a phone for?

Buy an Xbox or PlayStation for gaming. Phone you can call / text, use Facebook or whatever children use these days

It’s a new world now
    06-29-20 03:47 PM
    Yeah where is the 4k 60 fps stuff with fools getting knocked silly?
    06-29-20 04:01 PM

Buy an Xbox or PlayStation for gaming. Phone you can call / text, use Facebook or whatever children use these days

It’s a new world now
    It seems like users (old and new) would like all in one devices. Seeing so many devices with + 6.5 in full borderless screens
    06-29-20 04:04 PM
    And the trend keeps going with foldables...big screen when you want it and smaller screen when you need it to fit in your pocket.

As long as the consumer is focused on media consumption the products we get will be oriented towards media consumption in full force. Bright colors, outrageous looking camera arrays, and reflective glass surfaces all designed to catch your attention to the phone and get you to consume media.
    06-29-20 07:43 PM

It’s a new world now
    06-30-20 12:20 AM
    Are we also taking into account how much data compression happens on Social Media? Apps like Instagram heavily compress media, especially on Android where the Instagram camera does not even take full advantage of the hardware

With that said most people also use their phones in default setting which is usually 720P or 1080P@24fps or 30fps, and that gets compressed down.
    06-30-20 04:50 AM
    YouTube
    07-01-20 02:19 AM
719 ... 2526272829