Excellent. Very impressed. The 665 SoC, 6GB ram, and 64GB storage can pretty much handle anything I throw at it. The 2 I have (one charcoal and one cyan) are being used by immediate family. I'm waiting for the 8.3 5G myself.

Fit and finish is outstanding. They are very good looking devices.

Screen is bright and clear, and the 5 cameras (1 front, 4 rear) are very good for the price range.

I tested a TCL 10L for a month, and the Nokia is better - no doubt. And we don't need to even discuss updates.

I'm blown away at what $199 can get you. That's $67/yr for its supported life cycle.
    I do wonder why US Carriers didn't jump on supporting Nokia two years ago.... or why we don't see the full lineup. I get that Nokia has been gone from the market for 15+ years. But I much preferred my Nokia dumb phone to the Samsung devices that were pushed later on. Much better sound and reception...

Wonder if maybe back then they didn't like the idea of Android One?
    07-15-20 02:55 PM
    I do wonder why US Carriers didn't jump on supporting Nokia two years ago.... or why we don't see the full lineup. I get that Nokia has been gone from the market for 15+ years. But I much preferred my Nokia dumb phone to the Samsung devices that were pushed later on. Much better sound and reception...

Inertia I guess.
    07-15-20 02:58 PM

Don’t fix what isn’t broke seems to apply here.
    07-15-20 07:27 PM
    I agree BBMo was on the right track. With a niche product such as the Key devices I think they could of had an opportunity IF they and BlackBerry Ltd. could have agreed upon better pricing for longer software and product support. They could have bucked the trend of annual releases and said hey specialty PKB world, users and carriers we are going to release a new device every other year. Sure it's a smaller market but I believe that may have been more viable.
    And what would the team do for the 12-15 months before they needed to start working on the next device? A big company like Samsung, who makes enough devices and has a big enough team, could make a one-off device every couple of years, but a small company would never be able to do so - they'd not be able to keep people busy.
    07-17-20 06:37 PM
    Is re-inventing the wheel every two years indefinitely sustainable? I'm old enough to remember when MANY U.S. auto consumers considered annual trade-ins "normal routine". Reliability, resale, supporting the company and the union, "keeping up with the Jones family" etc, etc played a role in perpetuating the routine... Each model year frequently enjoyed skin deep sheet metal "upgrades" that proved embarrassingly identifiable as last year's model, in six months. Lol. Neighbors would gaze with that "did you lose your job?" expression... Lol.

Sorta similar expressions resulting from pulling out a "hand"set that actually fits a HAND, these days... Lol.

"Size envy" didn't start with handsets...lol. I recall dear old gramps tying the doors open on his garage because they couldn't close on his protruding, 223" long, 66 Bonneville. A detached garage originally built in the 20s to house 124" long T's. I ponder early memories of him chipping ice from that stupidly oversized "modern" Bonneville's exposed back glass, every time I attempt to close my shirt pocket over a stupidly oversized "modern" "hand"set. Lol.

The fuel crunch, half dozen years later, led to more reasonably sized "more modern" vehicles that he could finally close those garage doors on. Lol. Will I EVER close my shirt pocket flap on a "more modern" handset after this Bold expires? Lol.

Guess my formative years were largely influenced with an appreciation of technology demanded for micro sizing. Oversized dinosaurs were regarded as "old school", back in MY day... Lol

As with other evolving industries, sooner or later, design teams might eventually occupy themselves with satisfying niches, between "5 year plan" product generations? ?? Amazing what can be learned thru niche pursuits. Imo fwiw.

Bonneville wasn't Pontiac's ONLY form factor. Tempest, GTO, FireBird, etc also pursued "educational" niches. But frequently shared deeper component designs.
    Last edited by idssteve; 07-18-20 at 09:45 AM.
    07-18-20 08:18 AM
    Is re-inventing the wheel every two years indefinitely sustainable? I'm old enough to remember when MANY U.S. auto consumers considered annual trade-ins "normal routine". Reliability, resale, supporting the company and the union, "keeping up with the Jones family" etc, etc played a role in perpetuating the routine... Each model year frequently enjoyed skin deep sheet metal "upgrades" that proved embarrassingly identifiable as last year's model, in six months. Lol. Neighbors would gaze with that "did you lose your job?" expression... Lol.

Sorta similar expressions resulting from pulling out a "hand"set that actually fits a HAND, these days... Lol.

"Size envy" didn't start with handsets...lol. I recall dear old gramps tying the doors open on his garage because they couldn't close on his protruding, 223" long, 66 Bonneville. A detached garage originally built in the 20s to house 124" long T's. I ponder early memories of him chipping ice from that stupidly oversized "modern" Bonneville's exposed back glass, every time I attempt to close my shirt pocket over a stupidly oversized "modern" "hand"set. Lol.

The fuel crunch, half dozen years later, led to more reasonably sized "more modern" vehicles that he could finally close those garage doors on. Lol. Will I EVER close my shirt pocket flap on a "more modern" handset after this Bold expires? Lol.

Guess my formative years were largely influenced with an appreciation of technology demanded for micro sizing. Oversized dinosaurs were regarded as "old school", back in MY day... Lol

As with other evolving industries, sooner or later, design teams might eventually occupy themselves with satisfying niches, between "5 year plan" product generations? ?? Amazing what can be learned thru niche pursuits. Imo fwiw.

Bonneville wasn't Pontiac's ONLY form factor. Tempest, GTO, FireBird, etc also pursued "educational" niches. But frequently shared deeper component designs.
    We're likely to see a huge "unwinding" of mobile apps, devices, free services, and other modes of business that people have taken for granted in the last decade. The money to keep so many unprofitable balls in the air simply won't be flowing like it has been doing.

There will still be lots of mobile options and freemium services, but they will be tied to profitable businesses, not unlimited venture capital, and millions of people who are unemployed or underemployed will find that they can certainly do without an annual or biannual device update.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    07-18-20 12:52 PM
    We're likely to see a huge "unwinding" of mobile apps, devices, free services, and other modes of business that people have taken for granted in the last decade. The money to keep so many unprofitable balls in the air simply won't be flowing like it has been doing.

There will still be lots of mobile options and freemium services, but they will be tied to profitable businesses, not unlimited venture capital, and millions of people who are unemployed or underemployed will find that they can certainly do without an annual or biannual device update.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android

Countless industries of various descriptions are experiencing upheaval somewhat reminiscent of early 70's automotive industry experience. Imo. Not sure of implications for mobile, not my industry. Lol.
    I DO know that my personal attempt at "retirement" has worn the paint from this 9900's third keyboard in six months. Inability to visit client facilities in person has demanded much more textual detail with far greater back & forth clarification. AND, since wife & I are TRYing to live a "retired" life "sheltered in place" as vulnerable population, I'm frequently engaged in "home projects" just when clients & coworkers need timely response. They've figured out that I'm MORE available now that I'm no longer travelling. Lol.

But it does mean I'm MORE likely to be out in the garden, or mowing, or on the roof "improving" solar panels, or in the garage installing custom, to my specs, "gapless" rings in the wife's oil burning Prius ( a TOO common malady, it seems!), or turning those worn ring groves for the over width rings, (as now, lol)... (I'm NOT paying what Toyota wants for pistons!) (OEM side clearances are excessive anyway, imo.) (Lol)

All activities that are most comfortably accomplished carrying a COMFORTABLE to carry & use handset. Imagine leaning over an opened up engine, or bending over solar panels up on the roof, with a gargantuan K in T shirt pocket! Lol. My giants are all wasting away on chargers at my desk. Interestingly, with three 60" flat panels stationed about the property, and old PlayBooks as BT HDMI interface, I've found even LESS need of my giants for viewing prints or photos. We do use K1 for movie streaming via cast into a 60" panel in the living room. Even there, we find Classic & its toolbelt easier... Other than software limits. Lol.

Then, there are clients who've re-purposed production capacity into products they've never before even considered. Some still "fine tuning" their various cam, CNC, etc processes. They're frequently enough somewhat frantic to keep production running... Without excessive reject rate, that is. Lol.

I feel almost guilty for invoicing my time. Almost. No travel expenses, at least. Lol. BUT, blew thru SSA limits months ago and am on track for an embarrassingly profitable "retirement" year. I can see why consumers might put off new handset purchases during such hard times. But why would production industry folks like me NOT be willing to pay almost any premium for a tool so essential to generating income? Assuming there were products worthy of purchase, that is. Which is why this 9 year old Agent99.00 is also still trying to "retire". Lol.
    07-19-20 08:30 AM
    I would get the S10+ ... I see no purpose of a LTE version and I think they should stop selling them.

I think I have 5G on my plan, at the moment.
    What are you going to do with 5G on a mobile phone? 5G is great for connecting systems together. On a mobile phone the only use case I see is to post screen shots of speed tests.
    07-19-20 12:46 PM
    What are you going to do with 5G on a mobile phone? 5G is great for connecting systems together. On a mobile phone the only use case I see is to post screen shots of speed tests.
    I like your question. Having watched quite a few reviews on current 5G laptops and devices it all seems a bit silly on mobile handsets and their use cases.

I am obviously aware the tech and implementation of 5G will not cease or slow down but what really is the use case on a mobile phone? I don't think consumers are going to be willing to pay a premium for it on mobile devices.
    07-19-20 01:03 PM
    I like your question. Having watched quite a few reviews on current 5G laptops and devices it all seems a bit silly on mobile handsets and their use cases.

I am obviously aware the tech and implementation of 5G will not cease or slow down but what really is the use case on a mobile phone? I don't think consumers are going to be willing to pay a premium for it on mobile devices.
    But you don't have to pay flagship prices anymore. There are a number of mid-range devices sporting the 765G and dimensity 800 SoCs.

Go back in time and people said the same thing about 4G/LTE.
    07-19-20 01:21 PM
    I see 5G as a connection ... i seem to have two. 5G and another one.
    On laptop. I no longer see it on phone, but used to.

07-19-20 02:09 PM
    On laptop
    Those are your wifi connections. One at 5 Ghz and the other is 2.4 Ghz which are totally different than the 5G (generation) that your provider will eventually roll out (if it hasn't already). Not the same.
    towngirl likes this.
    07-19-20 02:24 PM
    No, I had no idea. But 5G was not what I was looking for.
    Just looking for a phone
    Those are your wifi connections. One at 5 Ghz and the other is 2.4 Ghz which are totally different than the 5G (generation) that your provider will eventually roll out (if it hasn't already). Not the same.
    Which I now have and it's awesome.

It's everything I was hoping BlackBerry would do. But they didn't

But feel real guilty leaving BB

What phone do I consider now that BlackBerry is seemingly becoming unobtainable?-img_20200717_221723_724.jpeg
    07-19-20 03:27 PM
    No, I had no idea. But 5G was not what I was looking for.
    Just looking for a phone

Which I now have and it's awesome.

It's everything I was hoping BlackBerry would do. But they didn't

But feel real guilty leaving BB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200717_221723_724.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	448975
    What did you get ? Are you teasing us with all these pics now?
    07-19-20 03:31 PM
    That and my chipmunk, the other day.

Nice camera, for sure.

Q is: how many chipmunk pictures do I need? lol ...he is swooping with the leg...something scared him.

What did you get ? Are you teasing us with all these pics now?
    What phone do I consider now that BlackBerry is seemingly becoming unobtainable?-img_20200714_175110_664.jpeg
    07-19-20 03:37 PM
    That and my chipmunk, the other day.

Nice camera, for sure.

Q is: how many chipmunk pictures do I need? lol ...he is swooping with the leg...something scared him.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200714_175110_664.jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	448976
    My dog wants to play with your chipmunk....
    07-19-20 04:17 PM
    My dog, too

But she is a rat killer and if she could, she would kill the chipmunk lol.
    He is way too fast!

My dog wants to play with your chipmunk....
    What phone do I consider now that BlackBerry is seemingly becoming unobtainable?-img_20200719_132912_169.jpeg
    07-19-20 04:58 PM
    Excellent. Very impressed. The 665 SoC, 6GB ram, and 64GB storage can pretty much handle anything I throw at it. The 2 I have (one charcoal and one cyan) are being used by immediate family. I'm waiting for the 8.3 5G myself.

Fit and finish is outstanding. They are very good looking devices.

Screen is bright and clear, and the 5 cameras (1 front, 4 rear) are very good for the price range.

I tested a TCL 10L for a month, and the Nokia is better - no doubt. And we don't need to even discuss updates.

I'm blown away at what $199 can get you. That's $67/yr for its supported life cycle.
    I purchased the Nokia 7.1 20 months ago and can honestly say it's been fantastic. All OS updates received and security updates as promised.

The build quality is second to none and the battery is almost as good as the day I bought it. I can't say there's been any degredation in performance either.

I recently purchased a 6.2 for my wife and that is great value with better specs than my 7.1.

I'm a tad disappointed that the 7.3 will be a 5G device with an additional £100 price tag. With the current situation in the UK, it's now unlikely that 5G will roll out anytime soon. So I might go with the 6.3, although rumor has it that Nokia are releasing another version of the 7.3 5G next year with the MediaTek 5G soc which will be more affordable.

5G would not be of any value to me as i live in an area, rural Shropshire, with no coverage at all, zilch. I have to use the Vodafone Sure Signal box to get a signal and that's only 3G.

Ok, it would be of some benefit when I'm away from home but my life isn't bothered about a few milliseconds.

We shall see.
    Last edited by dangerousfen; 07-19-20 at 07:06 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-19-20 06:48 PM
    they are niche in the respect that you still dont find them next to samsungs, iphones etc at all the retailers. its still mostly people buying off contract via 3rd party sources
    O2 shops in UK had them, when they were open to the public.
    05-23-21 03:31 AM
719 ... 272829