07-15-16 02:10 PM
    Worth a read...

Posted via CB10
    07-15-16 02:10 PM
    Interesting article which says what many of us already know and hope for: that BlackBerry is still struggling to become profitable, but with the restructuring that has been done, and a bit of luck, could eventually be successful.
    07-15-16 02:33 PM
    I think most looking at the stock are aware of the possibilities...

It's the odds that BlackBerry will be able to do some of the things that Chen says they should be able to do... that has the price of BBRY depressed. Chen has done a great JOB over the last 30 months... but he has also failed to do many of the things he said he would do. Thus many weigh what he says now against that and against what is happen today vs what might could happen if everything work out as Chen now hopes.

Personally think the RISK is much lower today, but if hardware flops I doubt we have seen the bottom.
    07-15-16 02:35 PM
    I think if hardware flops, and is finally shut down, risk is reduced and the value will actually go up.

I think (my personal opinion, obviously) the value is depressed because hardware is this big question mark and it's hard to see how BB can ever really succeed in it.
    JeepBB, bakron1 and DenverRalphy like this.
    07-15-16 02:56 PM
    Once hardware is gone, once SAF are gone.... and the "business" is stabilized and seeing growth... yes the value should go up.

But I think if hardware is gone that WILL affect software/service fees for the short term... how much is anyone guess as it's always been hard to "see" just what BES revenues where to begin with. But there will be some negative impact and Chen knows this or he wouldn't be working so hard to keep hardware.

And QNX is a wild card... maybe they see continued slow growth. Or maybe they become key to someone's IoT strategy or to someone's self driving car strategy. Then again maybe BlackBerry prices QNX out of the market and LINUX for Cars see's their business take off... Linux will be the major operating system of 21st century cars | ZDNet
    07-15-16 03:27 PM
    Good read and I also think the hardware portion of the business is very sketchy at the moment. If it can in fact make a profit, well that's great for all involved.

I too think that QNX is being challenged by Linux for automotive systems and unless QNX can stay competitive, that will also put a dent in their revenue stream.

All this said, I which they would get the new products to market more sooner then later. It should be an interesting year for Blackberry and as I have said, I am here for the long haul and it should be an interesting ride.
    07-15-16 07:19 PM
    What is BlackBerry Radar?

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>Z30>< Lumia950
    07-15-16 09:11 PM
    "Although the Priv smartphone was a failure in terms of sales it did come with a few pearls of hope. BlackBerry had worked to create this hardened version of the Android OS that's supposedly more secure."

..."supposedly more secure"... that's a line that instills confidence!
    07-15-16 09:42 PM
    Some light at the end of the tunnel...nice article. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    07-15-16 10:34 PM
    Really good read - thanks for posting!

If it really does turn out that Walmart has been testing and is moving forward with BlackBerry Radar, that's going to be a massive win for them.

I, unfortunately, just can't see BlackBerry succeeding in the smartphone game - the Android market is just so saturated as it is, and until hackers start stealing d*ck pics from people's phones, the average consumer just doesn't care about security. The only thing that sets them apart is the keyboard, so maybe they can come up with a really great form factor at a really good price, and actually sell some phones.
    07-15-16 11:06 PM
    Really good read - thanks for posting!

If it really does turn out that Walmart has been testing and is moving forward with BlackBerry Radar, that's going to be a massive win for them.

I, unfortunately, just can't see BlackBerry succeeding in the smartphone game - the Android market is just so saturated as it is, and until hackers start stealing d*ck pics from people's phones, the average consumer just doesn't care about security. The only thing that sets them apart is the keyboard, so maybe they can come up with a really great form factor at a really good price, and actually sell some phones.
    You've welcome. If BlackBerry can't keep a smartphone in my hand maybe they can put some cash in my wallet!

Posted via CB10
    07-16-16 12:17 AM
    You're

Posted via CB10
    07-16-16 12:17 AM
    What is BlackBerry Radar?

BlackBerry Radar will help trucking companies track and monitor shipments | CrackBerry.com
    07-16-16 12:47 AM
    Ah. Missed that one. Thanks.

07-16-16 07:10 AM
    Yes, much of this is old news or just plain inaccurate. The comments about IOS running Blackberry software is a miss as BBM and BES12/Good offerings both currently run on IOS. As for the SAF and software revenue, this is again something any BBRY stock watchers are keenly aware of and is the probable future of the company.

As for hardware, in my view most are missing the point, as I believe John C. is positioning the devices as an enabler for software sales and needs to have a highly secure full end-to-end solution for those regulated markets requiring such technologies. It might even become a loss leader in order to secure large enterprise deals in this market. I also don't rule out Blackberry leaving the hardware market until the current highly restrictive duopoly is broken.

However, I do admit it's troubling that device unit sales keep dropping and current revenues are unable to generate a reasonable profit. I choose the believe (delude myself ?) that we at the bottom of the "U-turn" and the company's fortunes will start looking up in the next few quarters.
    Last edited by EchoTango; 07-16-16 at 04:09 PM.
    07-16-16 08:23 AM
    Amazon is also looking to build its own delivery fleet since FedEx and UPS can't handle it's business. It would be a nice coup for radar if BlackBerry could sell it to Amazon and Walmart.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-16 09:59 AM
    I believe Android will be the first phase and soon BlackBerry's software may be launched on iOS. The company already has iOS developers that have been working on BBM and BES12 for iOS so this seems natural to me. Eventually, the company will rely less on their own smartphone sales but will be making money off the device sales of others.
    Interesting.
    07-16-16 01:07 PM
    At this rate, if blackberry makes all these changes to become profitable, like laying people off, getting out of the hardware business, shedding BB10, it will become a company most of us could care less about.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-16 01:37 PM
    At this rate, if blackberry makes all these changes to become profitable, like laying people off, getting out of the hardware business, shedding BB10, it will become a company most of us could care less about.

Posted via CB10
    I think they'd prefer obscurity to bankruptcy.
    JeepBB and app_Developer like this.
    07-16-16 02:06 PM
    I think they'd prefer obscurity to bankruptcy.
    Stockholders would agree with you!!

07-16-16 05:07 PM
    "Although the Priv smartphone was a failure in terms of sales it did come with a few pearls of hope. BlackBerry had worked to create this hardened version of the Android OS that's supposedly more secure."

..."supposedly more secure"... that's a line that instills confidence!
    To my knowledge BlackBerry has not yet proved that their Android is more secure than any others ... personally I'm inclined to call BS on it.
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    07-16-16 06:47 PM
    To my knowledge BlackBerry has not yet proved that their Android is more secure than any others ... personally I'm inclined to call BS on it.
    http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/11/...y-and-privacy/
    07-17-16 07:09 AM
    So the list of security improvements on that link are unique to BlackBerry's version of Android and no other vendor has implemented them?
    07-17-16 12:00 PM
    So the list of security improvements on that link are unique to BlackBerry's version of Android and no other vendor has implemented them?
    No other vendor that isn't two guys selling from the trunk of a car (Copperhead, Turing, Silent Circle).
    07-17-16 12:12 PM
26 12