No. Right now mobile devices are being treated and used as personal entertainment systems, not mini computers for tasks or productivity. We need to start seeing the forest beyond the trees.
    Did you see the post about all the things I can do with Android and a USB cable? Wouldn't you agree that the list of tasks I posted is pretty useful and productive? Plenty of people use their phone or tablet as their only computer and they do useful things with them. This idea that BB10 is finally mobile computing and not just a phone operating system is simply ridiculous, for now at least. Cause they haven't shown a single thing BB10 can do that Android couldn't do years ago. I can list a lot of things BB10 can't do that Gingerbread could do. So BlackBerry should put up or shut up and stop over hyping BB10.

At the end of the day, BB10 might be capable of doing these amazing things, but it don't do them now. What's the point of saying what it COULD do when those things aren't real yet? It just creates dissapointment.
    02-01-13 09:53 AM
    Lorax, this is what i was thinking last night...

A work place guves you a cubicle with a keyboard and monitor, when you get to work your phone syncs with the two and uses the keyboard as input and monitor as output. Everything is stored on the phone, always. Its sort of like bringing your 'saved game' to a friends house lol.

I think this would br amazing and im really looking forward to the ways it is used
    02-01-13 09:53 AM
    Well, here's Google's take on it:

02-01-13 10:58 AM
    I actually have a really good idea for 'mobile computing' that I think will really work. (100% serious)

does anyone know how to go about getting a patent? Do i need accurate technical specs/information? or can I patent the idea with basic dimensions and descriptions?
    02-01-13 11:32 AM
    RE: What is 'Mobile Computing' anyway?

This is actually a good discussion. According to our dear friend Wiki, mobile computing is a form of human–computer interaction where a computer is expected to be transported during normal usage. Mobile computing has three aspects: mobile communication, mobile hardware and mobile software. The first aspect addresses communication issues in ad-hoc and infrastructure networks as well as communication properties, protocols, data formats and concrete technologies. The second aspect focusses on the hardware, i.e. mobile devices or device components. The third aspect deals with the characteristics and requirements of mobile applications...

I don't know with you guys, but it sounds already existed... long time ago...
    02-01-13 11:38 AM
    The main reason I was so excited for the launch of BB10 was because I know it has amazing potential to become more than just a phone software. They keep hinting at mobile computing which I believe insinuates one device that can act as a desktop/laptop, but also work with other devices and machines seamlessly. Using M2M, you could have your device get real-time updates from all your devices and setups. You could have your thermostat/heating and cooling system send real-time updates to you phone telling you the temperature and such of your house and control it from your phone; have your fridge keep track of what's in there and let you know when you need to stock up on some stuff; laundry and dryer and oven telling you when it's done; control your home security from your phone; control the lights around the house; control the heat in your car/start it/receive updates on the cars maintenance and system; have the phone connect with the car media/entertainment system; get to work and pop the phone in a dock connected to a bluetooth mouse, keyboard and a larger screen, then leave work and switch to your "personal" profile and do the same.

I know that is all wishful thinking and stuff like that is still a couple/many years down the road, but that is what I want mobile computing to be. I think QNX (without knowing too too much about the fundamentals of the OS) can do it. I think they are setting the building blocks to be a complete, real-time, mobile computing platform. But that is why the launch was disappointing for me. No mention of what they want BB10 and its precursors to become. ****, they could have had TAT whip up one of their cool videos just to show people what BB10 is truly about and why it's an OS for the next 10 years. Instead people are wondering if it will last 10 months...

To paraphrase Lord of the Rings, we want "one phone to rule them all", and that's what I'm excited for hahahah

Sorry for the long post!
    02-01-13 11:57 AM
    This article has already been posted in another thread, but cleared up a lot of things for me:

BlackBerry 10: Forget about the phone - it's the OS that really counts | ZDNet
    Great article...

Unfortunately, and I'm just only being honest here, the journalist mentioned that... this isn't limited to treating another PlayBook or BlackBerry handset as if it's part of the same file system as your device. Take your phone into the car and the music on your phone could show up in the media player on the dashboard (many car makers use QNX � it's what the OnStar system is built on, for instance). Sit down in front of a TV with a QNX-powered set-top box and you could use your standard remote control to play videos that live on your phone (or in a streaming cloud service that your phone connects to). The temperature controls on your thermostat could show up on your phone whenever you're in the house � and not be in the way when you're at work.

Not for anything, but my previous Sony Xperia S is already doing that thing to my Sony LED TV, Blu-ray player, sound system, printer, etc. even watch... it has a Media Remote app, that anything connected to the same wifi (or bluetooth) and has the capability to connect and communicate, can be controlled... same with Samsung products including their new lines of air conditioning units where can be controlled by a mobile phone... and Apple and Windows as well... just only sharing...

Anyway, mobile computing or just a name functional propaganda, I would still try the BB10...
    02-01-13 12:04 PM
    Maurader...

I think that TAT stuff is awesome, i was looking for the youtube video where the guy wakes up from bed... but i couldnt find it. (didnt look that hard)

I really like that this is a discussion, and not a bash fest of any certain company or device. thanks guys!
    02-01-13 12:24 PM
    Did you see the post about all the things I can do with Android and a USB cable? Wouldn't you agree that the list of tasks I posted is pretty useful and productive? Plenty of people use their phone or tablet as their only computer and they do useful things with them. This idea that BB10 is finally mobile computing and not just a phone operating system is simply ridiculous, for now at least. Cause they haven't shown a single thing BB10 can do that Android couldn't do years ago. I can list a lot of things BB10 can't do that Gingerbread could do. So BlackBerry should put up or shut up and stop over hyping BB10.

At the end of the day, BB10 might be capable of doing these amazing things, but it don't do them now. What's the point of saying what it COULD do when those things aren't real yet? It just creates dissapointment.
    The point is that when you use an android device you are connecting your android with another system, you are using your system to interact with a different one.
    What BB is doing is to create a huge single system.
    Using the words of that article (http://www.zdnet.com/blackberry-10-f...-7000010650/):

"This isn't like running apps that can connect to a service or relying on protocols like DLNA and UPnP: if you've got QNX at both ends, the remote device just becomes part of the operating system — so it's available to any process and any app that wants to use it, as if it was always on your device."
    02-01-13 12:35 PM
    The point is that when you use an android device you are connecting your android with another system, you are using your system to interact with a different one.
    Using the words of that article (http://www.zdnet.com/blackberry-10-f...-7000010650/):

"This isn't like running apps that can connect to a service or relying on protocols like DLNA and UPnP: if you've got QNX at both ends, the remote device just becomes part of the operating system — so it's available to any process and any app that wants to use it, as if it was always on your device."
    Im not sure if i agree 100% yes the cable means they are connecting to a system... but they also have a mobile computer. I think the use of the cable needs to go, and that is why NFC and bluetooth/wifi syncing is popular. But I see ZERO problem with having a mobile computer as a phone that you can then use to connect to other devices. The connection would have to be something that isnt needed for the device to function, but only makes its current functions better. for example, you wont have devices that can print , so you need to connect to a printer some how...

I DONT think that BB10 is being overhyped though... i think that they are trying to start something that will be huge if it gets the shot it deserves.
    02-01-13 12:52 PM
    I'm totally agree with you that "cables need to go" and that is only an example to explain the concept.....well I think!
    02-01-13 01:09 PM
    Cables need to go but I'd still rather have the cable than not have the functionality at all. Imagine a BB10 device running BlackBerry desktop manager and maintaining a different BB device. That's mobile computing in my opinion. Android has been doing it for a long time.

Cables or no cables I don't care, I just want the functionality I've grown to depend on. BB10 doesn't offer it so at this point it seems premature for throsten to keep telling us we won't need our laptops anymore. Saying is so much easier than showing though. All I'm saying is I want to see it, or not hear about it anymore and I imagine plenty of others feel the same way.
    02-01-13 02:32 PM
    With QNX onboard, "mobile computing" can be distributed computing where two QNX enabled devices can divide or share tasks between them accomplishing things one device couldn't do by itself:

BlackBerry 10: Forget about the phone - it's the OS that really counts

"Incidentally, you can use the CPUs and the network connections on both connected devices to get faster processing and more bandwidth if you want. Want to run something demanding on your phone? Do it using the processor in your tablet as well. Connect to what you need, use it and then walk away and let QNX worry about what's still available and what's not.

The only limit is developers' imaginations � and the number of embedded systems that use QNX. As that includes cars, trains, industrial robots, heart monitors, guitar pedals and the camera on the ISS as well as nuclear power plant controls it's just as well QNX has excellent security. However, it definitely gives BlackBerry a head start on connecting to the Internet of Things. Thorsten Hein's boast about mobile computing might well be part of the future."

BlackBerry 10: Forget about the phone - it's the OS that really counts | ZDNet
    02-01-13 03:58 PM
    Cables need to go but I'd still rather have the cable than not have the functionality at all. Imagine a BB10 device running BlackBerry desktop manager and maintaining a different BB device. That's mobile computing in my opinion. Android has been doing it for a long time.

Cables or no cables I don't care, I just want the functionality I've grown to depend on. BB10 doesn't offer it so at this point it seems premature for throsten to keep telling us we won't need our laptops anymore. Saying is so much easier than showing though. All I'm saying is I want to see it, or not hear about it anymore and I imagine plenty of others feel the same way.
    Well, if you have a playbook you can download a .bar file on it and install it to another playbook... so this is sort of what you want, it is only one thing but the PB isnt even using BB10.

Im sure there will be things that will come out once the seeds are grown... right now BB10 is a field of sewn seeds with a potential to change the landscape, but we have to give it a chance and water it to help it grow!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-01-13 04:41 PM
    I actually have a really good idea for 'mobile computing' that I think will really work. (100% serious)

does anyone know how to go about getting a patent? Do i need accurate technical specs/information? or can I patent the idea with basic dimensions and descriptions?
    First, check the USPTO to make sure it isn't already patented.
    02-01-13 04:53 PM
    Mobile computing is really what the tech companies make it. It doesn't follow any pattern.

Thirty years ago mobile computing was a 20 lb computer but with a handle. Fifteen years ago it was a 3 inch thick laptop. Ten years ago it was a big, clunky phone with a 100x100px screen. Recently it's been becoming a lot more diverse, with tablets, smartphones, smartwatches (no joke; Google it), laptops, whatever the companies decide to make. Recently, though, people have been pushing the fact that you can have all your stuff on one device. That's the deal with iCloud. And Google's Chromebook is a (not very successful) way to move everything to the cloud so that, wherever you are and whatever device you're using you can do your stuff.

But basically, it's exactly how it sounds: mobile computing is the ability to compute on the go. But what's going to happen in the future? Who knows? People can guess all they want, but what we have today is only scratching the surface of what can be done mobiley (is that even a word?).
    02-01-13 05:20 PM
    Did you see the post about all the things I can do with Android and a USB cable? Wouldn't you agree that the list of tasks I posted is pretty useful and productive?
    Yea I did, and no I don't agree.

For example, I can use utorrent on a phone to download large files. Or I can update the maps on my Garmin GPS using just my phone, I can also transfer over newly updated geocache pocket queries to the Garmin, all without a PC. And all while I'm out in the field. Mobile computing should aslo include the ability to maintain a mobile device directly from another mobile device. After all, BlackBerry is killing the PC, so how will we maintain our phones without a PC? For example I can update software, push apk files, take back ups, restore and even root other android devices using nothing but my Android phone, a USB cable, and the appropriate files and software. So if PCs dissappear tomorrow I will be good. If my memory card in my DSLR gets full, no worries I have a phone that I can easily transfer the pictures to. Once the files are moved to my phone I can upload them all to my drop box and continue to take more photos with my camera that would then have a empty memory card. So it would appear that Android is closer to replacing a laptop than BB10 is.

Mobile computing is a BlackBerry buzzword. They think their phone can replace a laptop, yet BlackBerry 10 can't do any of the things I just listed. Things that Android devices have been able to do for years now. In my opinion, mobile computing should be about more than creating a document and emailing it.
    That's not mobile computing, that's using your phone as a personal valet for your content management or a simple diagnostic tool.
    02-03-13 11:23 PM
    any more opinions now that a lot of us have the Z10?
    02-07-13 10:28 PM

Can someone please answer this for me?

i understand at this level that the way android and QNX work are fundamentally different. My question is: for the end user, how does it differ whether it relies on protocols like DLNA and UPnP or whether its part of the operating system?

Thanks!
    02-07-13 11:21 PM
44 12