So, just thinking back on all the stuff that Thor has been saying... it seems they are pushing this new field of mobile computing, but what exactly is that?

What do they mean?

Alicia Keys made it clear that they think laptops are going downhill, but what will BB10 do to take over the mobile computing space?
    How much 'computing' can you do on a cell-phone?

These are NOT questions aimed at trying to find flaws in BB10... I think that as it stands right now BB10 is the best looking OS for 'doing' but I just want to try and understand the concept a bit more.

DISCUSS!
    jsmenard1 likes this.
    01-31-13 11:33 PM
    So, just thinking back on all the stuff that Thor has been saying... it seems they are pushing this new field of mobile computing, but what exactly is that?

What do they mean?

Alicia Keys made it clear that they think laptops are going downhill, but what will BB10 do to take over the mobile computing space?
    How much 'computing' can you do on a cell-phone?

These are NOT questions aimed at trying to find flaws in BB10... I think that as it stands right now BB10 is the best looking OS for 'doing' but I just want to try and understand the concept a bit more.

DISCUSS!
    I would like to know too. Very intriguing topic.

I'm especially curious what BBRY has in store for the year of 2013. I am sure Heins and Lazaridis are already thinking ahead.
    01-31-13 11:48 PM
    For me, a mobile device must be able to reduce my need for a laptop/computer. My current platform does this best for me. Are there things that I'd rather do on a computer? Yes, but there are plenty of things I can do comfortably from my phone on the go.

Communication, business, entertainment, cloud computing... as much functionality as possible.
    01-31-13 11:53 PM
    Basically it is operating system that can take care of it self (no 3rd party conection neccesery) and you can do everything just like on any other computer (e.g having designated drop box folder).
    01-31-13 11:56 PM
    Basically it is operating system that can take care of it self (no 3rd party conection neccesery) and you can do everything just like on any other computer (e.g having designated drop box folder).
    Expand on the bolded please (not arguing; I love picking brains).
    02-01-13 12:05 AM
    I barely go on my desktop anymore.

That says it all
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    02-01-13 12:07 AM
    I barely go on my desktop anymore.

That says it all
    That means you have a good mobile computing set-up, IMHO.
    02-01-13 12:10 AM
    So will this be done with just phones or tablets... bridging?

For example one of the things I am looking forward to is using the Z10 as a text input device with the PB.
    From articles I have read (good and bad) everyone agrees that the keyboard is quick... someone even said something like they types 21 letters and had a sentence with over 80 at the end, can you imagine typing an essay like that?!?!

I really thing that there are so many things that can be done, and because we have seen that BB10/QNX can be more then one thing I think that it will be the OS to do it.
    02-01-13 12:16 AM

For example one of the things I am looking forward to is using the Z10 as a text input device with the PB.
    From articles I have read (good and bad) everyone agrees that the keyboard is quick... someone even said something like they types 21 letters and had a sentence with over 80 at the end, can you imagine typing an essay like that?!?!

I really thing that there are so many things that can be done, and because we have seen that BB10/QNX can be more then one thing I think that it will be the OS to do it.
    I think tablets are now part of the mix... even though I have not yet found a work-related use for one personally. Not that they can't be used; I just don't see myself using one for something I can't already do well on my phone.
    02-01-13 12:22 AM

desktops are for when your aren't going anywhere

tablets are for when you are gone somewhere else but your feet arent moving*

phones are for when you are somewhere else and your feet are on the go

*yes i use my tablet at home too
    distributor1 likes this.
    02-01-13 12:26 AM
    They definitely blew this part. All this talk about being a leader in "mobile computing", and they really didn't show how they were going to be a leader. They didn't show their vision of what mobile computing was either. When you have the entire world as your stage and you miss simple things that coincide with your company's mission statement of being the leader in mobile computing, NOT GOOD!
    02-01-13 12:40 AM
    They definitely blew this part. All this talk about being a leader in "mobile computing", and they really didn't show how they were going to be a leader. They didn't show their vision of what mobile computing was either. When you have the entire world as your stage and you miss simple things that coincide with your company's mission statement of being the leader in mobile computing, NOT GOOD!
    i agree. they need to stop trying to sell this vision that our qnx phone can connect to all things in the world. They need to tell us when its going to happen., or stop talking about it
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-01-13 12:44 AM
    I think blackberry needs to define what mobile computing really is, but just for kicks I'll throw in my opinion.

I do believe they have a vision that will integrate BB10 with phones, tablets, cars...and will move into appliances and entertainment. Your phone will be a skeleton key to all things ever known to man. Maybe not all things, but it'll be like having a "Smart house" that goes with your "smart car" that is ran by your bb10 device.

Or maybe their just using target words to sound different from other companies. *shrug*
    02-01-13 01:41 AM
    I think it means we are getting the best calculator together with the best browser

Now seriously, I also think they are referring to integration since that what they have been hinting at. Just maybe, it has to do with some kind off new hybrid device. They have stated themselves that is hard to make money on the tablet market while laptops, specially notebooks have much better margins. Also, they announced 6 devices in 2013, not 6 smart phones...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-01-13 06:52 AM
    This is a great topic that I have been thinking about. I feel like I "get it" in terms of what mobile computing is, or has the potential to be...but I can't really describe it, if that makes any sense. For me, as someone who works as an HR global system admin for a Recruiting SAAS system, global computing would allow me to not only monitor and troubleshoot the system I work on, but the other systems its integrated with. I'm already partially there as I bring my Playbook to conferences and other travel destinations and have found it to be a great tool to stay plugged in and do actual work (troubleshoot for end-users, configurations, basic training, etc.).

I think Blackberry 10 as an OS would bring me even closer to that with apps like Webex and if they were to get something like MindJet (and they might already have something, I just haven't looked that closely). The OS spread across both the phone and tablet so they work together would be key for me, in terms of mobile computing.
    Marauder2 likes this.
    02-01-13 07:57 AM
    Mobile computing should be the ability to replace a computer with a mobile device. For example, I can use utorrent on a phone to download large files. Or I can update the maps on my Garmin GPS using just my phone, I can also transfer over newly updated geocache pocket queries to the Garmin, all without a PC. And all while I'm out in the field. Mobile computing should aslo include the ability to maintain a mobile device directly from another mobile device. After all, BlackBerry is killing the PC, so how will we maintain our phones without a PC? For example I can update software, push apk files, take back ups, restore and even root other android devices using nothing but my Android phone, a USB cable, and the appropriate files and software. So if PCs dissappear tomorrow I will be good. If my memory card in my DSLR gets full, no worries I have a phone that I can easily transfer the pictures to. Once the files are moved to my phone I can upload them all to my drop box and continue to take more photos with my camera that would then have a empty memory card. So it would appear that Android is closer to replacing a laptop than BB10 is.

Mobile computing is a BlackBerry buzzword. They think their phone can replace a laptop, yet BlackBerry 10 can't do any of the things I just listed. Things that Android devices have been able to do for years now. In my opinion, mobile computing should be about more than creating a document and emailing it.
    Mr_F, Drew808 and jivegirl14 like this.
    02-01-13 08:20 AM
    desktops are for when your aren't going anywhere

tablets are for when you are gone somewhere else but your feet arent moving*

phones are for when you are somewhere else and your feet are on the go

*yes i use my tablet at home too
    This is well said. I will have to steal it and use in in our business. The manufacturers are trying to drive down functions that started with a desktop and have migrated to laptop, then to tablet, and now to mobile phone. In addition, for some manfacturers (Sony, Samsung being the leaders) the phone is starting to become the controlling device in each manufacturers ecosystem. All the devices that they make, whether, TV, stereo, camera, and mobile phone are now going to "talk" to each other, the the phone becomes a key controller in that ecosystem.

I see that when I walk down the aisle in an airplane. Fewer and fewer laptops every day, more and more tablets, and now more and more large screen mobile phones / phablets. I for one am hoping the Z10 will continue the robust management of extremely heavy email / bbm / social media, and finally I can dump the laptop when I travel and go tablet / Z10.
    02-01-13 08:24 AM
    Mobile computing should be the ability to replace a computer with a mobile device. For example, I can use utorrent on a phone to download large files. Or I can update the maps on my Garmin GPS using just my phone, I can also transfer over newly updated geocache pocket queries to the Garmin, all without a PC. And all while I'm out in the field. Mobile computing should aslo include the ability to maintain a mobile device directly from another mobile device. After all, BlackBerry is killing the PC, so how will we maintain our phones without a PC? For example I can update software, push apk files, take back ups, restore and even root other android devices using nothing but my Android phone, a USB cable, and the appropriate files and software. So if PCs dissappear tomorrow I will be good. If my memory card in my DSLR gets full, no worries I have a phone that I can easily transfer the pictures to. Once the files are moved to my phone I can upload them all to my drop box and continue to take more photos with my camera that would then have a empty memory card. So it would appear that Android is closer to replacing a laptop than BB10 is.

Mobile computing is a BlackBerry buzzword. They think their phone can replace a laptop, yet BlackBerry 10 can't do any of the things I just listed. Things that Android devices have been able to do for years now. In my opinion, mobile computing should be about more than creating a document and emailing it.
    I pretty much agree with this 100 percent after now seeing all of what bb10 has to offer and essentially waiting for nothing all this time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    02-01-13 08:29 AM
    I think that what Thor was referring to is linked with the fact that BB10 is a way new way of thinking and it's not just a smartphone OS.
    The natural step is to put BB10 outside the phone market and thus look for other "mobile computing" areas.........cars, domotics and so on.
    QNX and BB together can create a framework of mobile computing....imaging a car, house, phone that can interact because they are part of the same environment (OS).
    02-01-13 08:36 AM
    So I need to buy a new car, and get my house completely rewired to have BlackBerry's vision of mobile computing? That's gonna be expensive. Not to mention, I can't replace my laptop with my car. I don't care how good the infotainment system is.
    02-01-13 08:41 AM
    Mobile computing is exactly what it sounds like. Using your "phone" and/or tablet either together or separate to be productive while you are mobile.
    Truly bridging the mobile office experience.

Besides BlackBerry only one other platform is pushing the envelope and thats Ubuntu for mobile.

There will always be computing in the traditional sense as in desktops or servers only because there are applications that need raw horse power. IMHO

Exciting times.
    02-01-13 08:47 AM
    So I need to buy a new car, and get my house completely rewired to have BlackBerry's vision of mobile computing? That's gonna be expensive. Not to mention, I can't replace my laptop with my car. I don't care how good the infotainment system is.
    No. Right now mobile devices are being treated and used as personal entertainment systems, not mini computers for tasks or productivity. We need to start seeing the forest beyond the trees.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    02-01-13 08:51 AM
    I think there are a number of ways this can play out. Composing long graphically rich word processor documents on a handheld device isn't fun... but if you have a truly dumb workstation that is just a keyboard, large display, and other controllers (like a Wacom tablet) and you can just drop your NFC-enabled device into a docking station or onto a 'touchstone', and just start using that workstation on your device that is powerful enough to write a long document.

But before that can even have a HOPE of happening, there needs to be an industry standard for such docking stations... if it's all Bluetooth, USB, whatever, but right now, just TRY to do "mobile computing" with an iPhone or iPad, a Galaxy Tab, or a PlayBook... you better have exactly the right combination of technology at every "interaction point" or you aren't going to be computing much of anything.

Human factors is part of computing, and unless that's taken into consideration (and no matter how powerful the processor is on a tiny mobile device, if human interaction with the device is limited, well, so is the "mobile computing" that is possible) "mobile computing" is "paying for movie tickets with NFC" or "checking your email on-the-go".
    02-01-13 09:04 AM
    I think he was talking about integrating computing and software everywhere in the day life where it can bring advantage to people, and the interaction of those computing devices.
    Just think in all the task in real world that would be easier if you could attach processors, sensors and software in the real world objects and use your phone to interact with them, possibilities are endless.
    Now, which software will real world objects run? QNX was designed for this, real time interaction and embedding, Linux and Windows weren't.
    02-01-13 09:24 AM
    This article has already been posted in another thread, but cleared up a lot of things for me:

BlackBerry 10: Forget about the phone - it's the OS that really counts | ZDNet
    Mr_F likes this.
    02-01-13 09:29 AM
44 12