Someone saying they have a sprint/nextel or Verizon phone for sale BUT it has a Bad ESN? I know what the ESN is but how can one be bad? either you can use the phone or not. Does this mean that it is still under contract? someone owes money on a contract? Just wondering because IF I buy a phone from someone and they have not kept up the bill, I should NOT be responsible for that and should be able to use the phone regardless. Just my curiousity because I have seen a lot of phones on ebay that say they have a bad ESN.
    12-20-08 03:48 PM
    Taking a cue from a mod's post in another thread, I think this thread should be called "what does bad ESN mean?"

I am interested to see any responses from cellular reps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-08 03:55 PM
    The ESN is probably attached to a bad account, one in which alot of money is owed. The company won't activate a phone if it is attached to an account with a large unpaid balance. I would stay away from these phones if you intend to activate them for use. There is a market for bad esn phones for parts, etc...
    12-20-08 04:07 PM
    Basically the phone has been locked out by the cellco and is unusable. The most frequent reasons are bad debt, or stolen phone. It is very unlikely the ESN will ever be activated and permitted to access the network.

As another post suggests, ok if you want to strip it for parts - but the main circuit board (where the ESN lives) is useless although it is the most expensive single component.
    12-20-08 04:32 PM
    That makes no sense for the following reason

This would be like going and buying a car and not being able to get plates for it because the people who previously owned it owed money for something on it.

A previous owners problems are not transferred to a new owner by default and I believe that you could fight this in court
    12-21-08 07:08 PM
    That makes no sense for the following reason

This would be like going and buying a car and not being able to get plates for it because the people who previously owned it owed money for something on it.

A previous owners problems are not transferred to a new owner by default and I believe that you could fight this in court
    Lol. i feel where you are coming from but most people buy those phones for parts nothing else.
    12-21-08 07:11 PM
    Not true. When you are purchasing a bad esn, you are buying it from a 3rd party. NOT directly from your cellular provider. That is the difference. Read your two year contract a little closer and you will see that you receive the equipment at a discounted rate because you are under contract. Thats why its considered the "contract price".

As far as someone stealing your phone......this ensures that the ***** who stole your phone basically did it for nothing.
    12-21-08 07:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD