Bbos can't be beat for battery. My 9930 lasts me a WEEK before I recharge. Granted, I use it lightly but I do use it every day for at least an hour. No modern phone, absolutely ZERO of them, can compare.

Plus, I can see the screen clearly in direct sunlight. On dim setting, even.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    Ok well battery life all depends on the use of the phone. You can have an iphone last a week too... easily. Probably more.
    cgk likes this.
    10-24-16 06:16 PM
    Let's take the new processor - the A10 - if that is not innovative - could you point to which processor currently available is?
    The A10 is a powerhouse. Heck even the A9 is, as of today's standards, a powerhorse... much faster than any of those high end snapdragon.

I wonder though how much of that speed is the processor itself and how much can be attributed to OS optimisation
    cgk likes this.
    10-24-16 06:22 PM
    So you bend your phone too much and it's Apple's fault?

Have to wonder how many sign up to that suit, aren't sporting an iPhone 7 right now. Might be an issue with the phone being more prone to bending, but that doesn't mean they won't buy another one.
    I just couldn't believe it when I saw it. It had to be shared.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    10-24-16 06:42 PM
    Bbos can't be beat for battery. My 9930 lasts me a WEEK before I recharge. Granted, I use it lightly but I do use it every day for at least an hour. No modern phone, absolutely ZERO of them, can compare.

Plus, I can see the screen clearly in direct sunlight. On dim setting, even.

You must have one of those nuclear powered 99's because I sure can't get that kind of battery life out of it. When using my iphone and I wanted to condition my 99's batteries, on wifi but notif's OFF, I MIGHT get 2-3 days but that was pushing it. Of course, many factors could be responsible for this, who knows.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    10-24-16 06:47 PM
    My complaint with Apple's entire design philosophy, from a usability standpoint, is that they commonly sacrifice efficiency for simplicity
    For me it is more than efficiency, it is functionality. When I got my Z10, I quickly learned to hook it up to a projector so I could give presentations, or just view pictures, with no effort. On an iPhone, or iPad, that is not possible without some dongle or an Apple TV. Now it's not even possible to attach standard headphones without another dongle. That same philosophy transcends their Macbooks: no delete key, only 2 usb ports, non-standard power cord...

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I want my devices to help me work more efficiently, not tell me how I should be working differently just because some design "guru" has put form before function.

Apple makes some great devices. I just wish they would stop trying to enforce "different" for different's sake. That's just not what I need.

Posted via CB10
    johnsliderbb likes this.
    10-24-16 08:10 PM
    For me it is more than efficiency, it is functionality. When I got my Z10, I quickly learned to hook it up to a projector so I could give presentations, or just view pictures, with no effort. On an iPhone, or iPad, that is not possible without some dongle or an Apple TV. Now it's not even possible to attach standard headphones without another dongle. That same philosophy transcends their Macbooks: no delete key, only 2 usb ports, non-standard power cord...

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I want my devices to help me work more efficiently, not tell me how I should be working differently just because some design "guru" has put form before function.

Apple makes some great devices. I just wish they would stop trying to enforce "different" for different's sake. That's just not what I need.

Posted via CB10
    I do agree with some of your points here, but you also have to realize that Apple didn't become one of the most profitable companies in the world by doing things like everyone else does. They make their devices to work together, and its at the cost of losing out on customers who want standard features like you want standard on all of your devices. Their products also work well together. I've always thought miracast sucked, because its choppy and just doesn't work all the time. But with the iPhone it works seamlessly with the Apple TV. Granted, its the only device that it works perfectly with, but that's the way that Apple wants it. They would rather lose out on a customer that wants to use different brands of devices by getting customers to buy into their portfolio of devices. Its a tradeoff that they have always had. Want to put music on your phone, you use iTunes. If you don't like iTunes then look elsewhere for a device that allows you to use what you want. You want to stream wirelessly to a TV? Use an Apple TV. Don't want an Apple TV then look elsewhere for a phone and device that will work with what you want. If other companies could get away with it I guarantee you they would, but no other company has the brand loyalty that Apple does.
    10-24-16 08:34 PM
    There is no question that the iPhone is quite the device. Ultimately, though, it isn't for everyone. In the end, though, it may well be that privacy and security will be more important to consumers than the pretty new thing. Although that still seems remote, considering how often the iPhone and Android devices make the news due to some major security flaw.

Posted via CB10, on a BlackBerry Passport
    10-24-16 10:06 PM
    There is no question that the iPhone is quite the device. Ultimately, though, it isn't for everyone. In the end, though, it may well be that privacy and security will be more important to consumers than the pretty new thing. Although that still seems remote, considering how often the iPhone and Android devices make the news due to some major security flaw.

Posted via CB10, on a BlackBerry Passport
    Then consider it doesn't make a lick of difference to sales, none. People have been banging this security drum for a long time and nobody is listening - partly because when you dig into most of the android breaches they often really involve app stories in china or doing things like turning off protection or with Apple they are theoretical and seem to be patched before they impact anyone.

Blackberry's security premium is no premium not even to industry.
    Last edited by cgk; 10-25-16 at 02:51 AM.
    10-25-16 01:02 AM
    Lack of competition may play a hand in the iphones success.

As well as Samsung is doing, they're going up against several companies, all using android. Looking at the new line of Huawei phones coming out, andriod phone competition has never been this intense before. As someone already pointed out, There are more android phones in circulation than iphones.

I wonder how well apple would be doing if other companies were allowed to make ios powered cell phones? Imagine if apple had competition like Samsung. A phone with higher resolution than the iphone, more memory, faster processors, more overall options and for a cheaper price. A lot of people say the reason the iphone's specs are so far behind android phones is because, the iphone doesn't need top of the line specs to get the job done. But if the iphone had direct competition, the story might be different.
    10-25-16 01:26 AM
    I do agree with some of your points here, but you also have to realize that Apple didn't become one of the most profitable companies in the world by doing things like everyone else does. They make their devices to work together, and its at the cost of losing out on customers who want standard features like you want standard on all of your devices. Their products also work well together. I've always thought miracast sucked, because its choppy and just doesn't work all the time. But with the iPhone it works seamlessly with the Apple TV. Granted, its the only device that it works perfectly with, but that's the way that Apple wants it. They would rather lose out on a customer that wants to use different brands of devices by getting customers to buy into their portfolio of devices. Its a tradeoff that they have always had. Want to put music on your phone, you use iTunes. If you don't like iTunes then look elsewhere for a device that allows you to use what you want. You want to stream wirelessly to a TV? Use an Apple TV. Don't want an Apple TV then look elsewhere for a phone and device that will work with what you want. If other companies could get away with it I guarantee you they would, but no other company has the brand loyalty that Apple does.
    I think Apple doing things differently, just to be different is what caused me to dislike their computers. It was as if it was opposite day at Apple, everything flipped, just so they could say, we are different.
    johnsliderbb likes this.
    10-25-16 01:29 AM
    Many things at this point. Now it's just the default choice really.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-25-16 02:12 AM
    The story of Blackberry is sort of like a bbs operator not grasping the significance of dsl Internet and continuing to offer dial up access to a multiline bbs instead of trasitioning content to a website back in the day.

The Z10 was late, the battery was weak.

If the Z30 and the classic were the launch devices with 10.2 it might have had a happier ending.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-25-16 04:47 AM
    The story of Blackberry is sort of like a bbs operator not grasping the significance of dsl Internet and continuing to offer dial up access to a multiline bbs instead of trasitioning content to a website back in the day.

The Z10 was late, the battery was weak.

If the Z30 and the classic were the launch devices with 10.2 it might have had a happier ending.

Posted via CB10
    If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride.

Even in that alternate reality with the Z30/10.2.1 as the launch device, instead of the very late Z10 loaded with the incomplete and buggy 10.0... The lack of apps would still have killed it as it did in this reality.

Steering it nearly back on topic , the iPhone and the power of apps to extend the platform, killed BB10 before it was even born. Those posts I've seen that quip that BB10 was Dead *Before* Arrival speak the truth.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-25-16 05:32 AM
    Lack of competition may play a hand in the iphones success.

As well as Samsung is doing, they're going up against several companies, all using android. Looking at the new line of Huawei phones coming out, andriod phone competition has never been this intense before. As someone already pointed out, There are more android phones in circulation than iphones.

I wonder how well apple would be doing if other companies were allowed to make ios powered cell phones? Imagine if apple had competition like Samsung. A phone with higher resolution than the iphone, more memory, faster processors, more overall options and for a cheaper price. A lot of people say the reason the iphone's specs are so far behind android phones is because, the iphone doesn't need top of the line specs to get the job done. But if the iphone had direct competition, the story might be different.
    Don't know if I'd cite lack of competition. Apple/iOS has faced plenty.

Hey, Samsung (which has earned my respect of late) has its own OSes. It uses Android for the ecosystem, which is its best chance with regards to taking on Apple and other Android vendors.
    10-25-16 06:59 AM
    Actually you can just tap the top of the screen from the home page. No need for that strenuous 2 finger swipe.

Posted via CB10
    Right, but I'm talking about the scenario where you are in and app working and need to switch networks quickly without losing your flow.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-16 08:43 AM

Posted via CB10
    Actually, it's different for PROFIT'S sake. They want to increase accessory sales and create "switching costs" to keep users from switching platforms for a few dollars like Windows users do.

Posted via CB10
    johnsliderbb likes this.
    10-25-16 08:45 AM
    Got myself an iphone 7 and that thing is pretty fast loading, rendering. So it works well
    10-25-16 10:09 AM
    Actually, it's different for PROFIT'S sake. They want to increase accessory sales and create "switching costs" to keep users from switching platforms for a few dollars like Windows users do.

Posted via CB10
    Never mind that a Fire connector was way better than USB for so long... Never mind that a lighting connector is much better for a mobile device - how many here have had their micro-usb connector go bad? Me, two PlayBooks (had to be a design flaw) and one Z10.

Apple doesn't just conform to the standards set by others... they do what offers the best performance. But yeah I'm sure someone has calculated how removing the headphone jack will affect BEATS sales.
    10-25-16 10:19 AM
    Never mind that a Fire connector was way better than USB for so long... Never mind that a lighting connector is much better for a mobile device - how many here have had their micro-usb connector go bad? Me, two PlayBooks (had to be a design flaw) and one Z10.

Apple doesn't just conform to the standards set by others... they do what offers the best performance. But yeah I'm sure someone has calculated how removing the headphone jack will affect BEATS sales.
    You're right that eschewing common standards allows Apple freedom to innovate, but at the cost of tying users to their way of doing things. Some users are happy with that tradeoff, obviously. I prefer the greater utility of standardization and interoperability.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-16 10:39 AM
    I love movies. One word explanation why I will not but another idevice for now: KODI.

10-25-16 12:08 PM
    I love movies. One word explanation why I will not but another idevice for now: KODI.

Kodi to stream movie. It says available for ios as well. So what's wrong with it?
    10-25-16 12:14 PM
    You have to jailbreak the iPhone to get kodi to work. No thanks, I'm not that daring.

10-25-16 12:46 PM
    iPhones are popular because:

1. Apple has the very best marketing
    2. The marketing has positioned the entire brand as aspirational
    3. Being aspirational has made them popular with people that have high disposable incomes to spend on luxury goods
    4. Those people are attractive to app developers as they are more likely to spend money on apps and games, thus increasing the number of first to market apps to the iPhone making it even more popular.
    5. The actual experience of walking into an Apple store, buying an iPhone, transferring data over to your new phone and coming back for post purchase support is as good or better than the Apple's fantastic marketing. Apple basically walks the walk. Customers don't leave a store feeling underwhelmed or disappointed.
    6. The actual phone is also very good and certainly meets or exceeds the expectations of most every day folks from a design, aesthetics, and usability perspective.
    Alain_A, TgeekB and early2bed like this.
    10-25-16 02:52 PM
    Apples iPhone is very popular because that people that don't know much about technology buys the phones. They have fallen for the marketing and buy an expensive smartphone with budget spec's and yesterday's technology.
    iPhone also have a simple operating system this easy to learn.
    Yesterday's technology?

Sometimes raw specs ain't enough to cross over to day to day use. The Note series is always a power house on raw specs alone, here it is being made to look silly by a year old phone who's specs must've been behind the time when they came out.
    10-25-16 02:53 PM
    Also when Apple launches a phone... they launch a phone. That interview was painful, do they not have anyone that knows how to do a professional video interview? At least last time they were looking at the camera.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    10-25-16 03:21 PM
567 ... 1213141516 ...