I absolutely need a file manager. I also use my phone as a thumb drive and often receive emails with attachments that must be handled, stored or uploaded to cloud storage that will definitely not be recognized by any of the major mobile OSes. I would prefer better integration from BB10s file manager though such as video editing, slideshow options to be available, or at least thumbnail view and a drag to select multiple files option.
    What possible attachment could you get that you cant "handle, Store,or upload" to cloud storage on an iPhone? Granted, BB does an amazing job with email but every smartphone handles email. If the iPhone or any of the Android based phones were as inefficient as you seem to claim, what business would use them? Clearly they must be pretty dam good or BB would still be relevant. Less than 1% of market share makes BB irrelevant
    10-22-16 10:13 PM
    I showed my 12 year old cousin how to use my passport, she understood in under 5 minutes. Seemed painless.
    I agree, I found my BlackBerry phones,( legacy and BB10) operating systems beautifully simply to learn and use. I have found the iphone7 OS has more steps to a lot of things but I much prefer it to the Lumia 950.
    As a result I use both my Passport and iphone7. While I've been surprised that I like the iPhone7 as much as I do, should BlackBerry EVER build another BB10 or hey even BB11 phone, I will buy one in a heartbeat .

Posted via CB10
    DJ BigToe likes this.
    10-22-16 10:28 PM
    I agree, I found my BlackBerry phones,( legacy and BB10) operating systems beautifully simply to learn and use. I have found the iphone7 OS has more steps to a lot of things but I much prefer it to the Lumia 950.
    As a result I use both my Passport and iphone7. While I've been surprised that I like the iPhone7 as much as I do, should BlackBerry EVER build another BB10 or hey even BB11 phone, I will buy one in a heartbeat .

Posted via CB10
    I will say that any OS new to a person will have a learning curve. When you are use to doing things one way, it takes time to break the habit.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-22-16 10:54 PM
    I will say that any OS new to a person will have a learning curve. When you are use to doing things one way, it takes time to break the habit.
    Absolutely true.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-16 12:22 AM
    4-finger swipe up to access the app switcher?
    Thanks... forgot! :-D

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    10-23-16 02:39 AM
    a lot of iphone buyers camp out overnight for days to be in line to get the latest iphone.....and they are not labelled as "nuts" for doing so......unless you are camped out waiting in line for a Dtek60, then they are referred to as such.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    Critical mass... :-)

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    10-23-16 02:41 AM
    I agree that it's a pain to teach BB10 to someone... whereas iOS may not be very effective... but it's so easy to learn.
    My experience teaching my 70-something year old mother:
    - BB7 was easy to teach the basics on. The physical buttons really helped.
    - BB10 was a bit harder, but once she got the hang of the hub all was good
    - android...terrible experience for her. Can't find everything, keeps going to the wrong email app (that keeps telling her to go the other one, and can't be removed). Does not always hang up calls. This is on 6. It's a mess really.

I'm pretty confident IOS would be easy enough for her though, but she also would not fork out the money for a recent device, so Android it is!

Posted via CB10
    10-23-16 09:50 AM
    What app was it?
    One of my inventory apps, I think Fantastic Library. They now store stuff on iCloud as an option, so again there is a degree of user error here, but on BB10 or Android I would have just copied the file onto my pc for safe keeping.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-16 09:53 AM
    My experience teaching my 70-something year old mother:
    - BB7 was easy to teach the basics on. The physical buttons really helped.
    - BB10 was a bit harder, but once she got the hang of the hub all was good
    - android...terrible experience for her. Can't find everything, keeps going to the wrong email app (that keeps telling her to go the other one, and can't be removed). Does not always hang up calls. This is on 6. It's a mess really.

I'm pretty confident IOS would be easy enough for her though, but she also would not fork out the money for a recent device, so Android it is!

Posted via CB10
    Why did she stop using BB10 If she like it?
    10-23-16 10:16 AM
    Why did she stop using BB10 If she like it?
    Screen size...she wanted something bigger than her Q5, but it just did not make sense to pick up a Z10, Z30 or Leap at this point.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-16 12:05 PM
    keeps going to the wrong email app (that keeps telling her to go the other one, and can't be removed).
    You can disable any app, which hides the icon and - other than the code taking room on the storage - makes it as if it was never installed.
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-23-16 12:29 PM
    I just can tell you why I made this decision (coming from a long term BB relationship starting with a Pearl as my first BB till Q10 now iPhone SE).
    I made the switch after the announcement that WA stopps working by the end of the year. I decided to switch to an Apple device and I choosed the iPhone SE as my daily driver for the following reasons:
    1. Small, compact, solid
    2. Good enough for me battery life
    3. Top camera (snap shots of my children etc. etc. )
    4. I'm not a heavy app user beside the standard apps like calendar, mail, Phone, iMessage....But all apps I use (WA, Spotify, Health, Amazon Video, Salesforce, Trello, Slack) are available as native apps in the AppStore.
    5. Ecosystems like iTunes, Fotos, Music, iCloud with mail, calendar, contacts etc. etc. -> I'm using them on a daily basis combined with my other Apple Hardware (MacBook Pro, iPad Air2, Apple TV)
    6. FaceTime with my wife and kids and parents when I'm on business trips
    7. Last but not least... the good Apple Service
    10-23-16 12:54 PM
    I just can tell you why I made this decision (coming from a long term BB relationship starting with a Pearl as my first BB till Q10 now iPhone SE).

2. Good enough for me battery life
    Well, now...there it is. "Good enough..."

It's interesting that there's a need to "make do" in order to use this device. Much the same considerations are in play between Pebble smartwatches (which typically will run for a week or more without a charge) and the Watch.

BlackBerry comes from a time when bandwidth, battery, much of what supports a device of that sort was built on a minimum of resources. Apple never learned this lesson, to the detriment of the rest of us, in general, and BlackBerry in particular.

Posted via CB10, on a BlackBerry Passport
    10-23-16 01:22 PM

It's interesting that there's a need to "make do" in order to use this device. Much the same considerations are in play between Pebble smartwatches (which typically will run for a week or more without a charge) and the Watch.

BlackBerry comes from a time when bandwidth, battery, much of what supports a device of that sort was built on a minimum of resources. Apple never learned this lesson, to the detriment of the rest of us, in general, and BlackBerry in particular.

It's interesting how you cherry-pick the part of his comment about battery and assume that he's simply "making do." It doesn't sound to me like he's settling for the the battery life of the device or has had to adapt to it. It sounds to me like the battery life of the device allows him to do what he wants to do, how he wants to do it.
    hbach1968 and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    10-23-16 01:42 PM

You are sorely mistaken in this point. Blackberry never learned anything about optimizing battery life. The Z10 has abysmal battery life, always has. The Q10 and Classic are decent, but small screens allow for the battery to last longer. The Z30's screen is a dim washed out AMOLED screen to help save battery life. The Passport has essentially a car battery in it, and it doesn't get as good of battery life as the iPhone 6S Plus or iPhone 7 Plus despite having much smaller batteries and a larger screen. When Blackberry moved away from tiny screens in BBOS and put LTE on their phones, the days of saying BB's got great battery life were over. The same goes with their Android handsets, poor battery life despite larger batteries to try and compensate.
    10-23-16 02:06 PM
    Of course that's true. There is always a "switching cost" when one moves from one platform to another, but that's not really the issue in my opinion, because that's a one-time cost.

The much more important issue is the number of STEPS required to complete frequent tasks, even after learning the new platform, regardless of the time difference. My complaint with Apple's entire design philosophy, from a usability standpoint, is that they commonly sacrifice efficiency for simplicity. It's a great approach for the mass market and making money, but it's rarely the best approach for maximizing productivity for power users.

The iPhone is a great device for many people, but there's no getting around the fact that it is less efficient than either a properly configured Android or BB10 phone when it comes to the range of tasks available within one or two steps from any given state.

For example, while I am typing this (on BB10), I'm experiencing intermittent connection issues over my main work WiFi and need to switch over from one network to another. The required steps in BB10 are

1. Swipe up to home screen
    2. Swipe down for quick settings
    3. Click to select WiFi
    4. Select to select the new network
    5. Swipe up
    6. Click to return to original app

[REVISED with 2 fewer steps]

1. Two finger swipe down for quick settings
    2. Click to select WiFi
    3. Select to select the new network
    4. Swipe up to return to original app

All of that can be completed with my thumb in 4 seconds without changing my grip on my phone, and more importantly, without breaking my concentration.

Even with iOS10, switching between WiFi networks on my iPhone is markedly less efficient than BB10 was at launch in 2013:

1. Press home to go to home screen
    2. Navigate to Settings app (which may or may not be on your first home screen)
    3. Select WiFi settings
    4. Select desired WiFi network
    5. Close settings (optional)
    6. Double click home or press/swipe from left to right to open task switcher
    7. Select original task

This may look like the same number of tasks, but it involves more screens and more complex steps, which has a cognitive cost in terms of work flow.

Apple has taken a step towards simplifying access to many settings via the swipe-up Control Center, but currently the only WiFi option available there is to toggle it on and off, and wait for a notification for whichever WiFi networks are available, NOT to switch between available networks, which pretty much makes it useless for the use case described.

I am not trying to bash Apple, which has been the major innovator in handsets over the past decade. But the issues are much more complex than many posters around here acknowledge. It's not simply a matter of the initial learning curve and "what you're used to" when it comes to the objective assessment of cognitive load for the use of an OS interface.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 10-24-16 at 04:53 PM.
    10-23-16 02:17 PM
    Apple chose for a long time to release a single new phone each year - with all efforts focused on getting that one phone right. That kept them from competing against themselves and being distracted with a lot of different options.
    Even if BlackBerry had released a single design smartphone each year the wireless carriers, mostly in the US, demanded the radio chipset unique to their network. Anyone remember CDMA versus 2G/3G/4G/GSM/HSPA/HSPA+/LTE? So a single design would have multiple models.
    10-23-16 03:52 PM
    You are sorely mistaken in this point.... When Blackberry moved away from tiny screens in BBOS and put LTE on their phones, the days of saying BB's got great battery life were over. The same goes with their Android handsets, poor battery life despite larger batteries to try and compensate.
    Eh, I was actually talking about the good old days. After all, BIS was compressed, in order to not stress the network. Remember Mike Lazaridus dismissed the iPhone for its excessive data usage, even going so far as to predict that the phone would crush AT&T's network. Which it did.

As far as battery life goes now, my Passport runs all day with the radio going full-time (as I listen to CBC) and my wife's Priv lasts well over a day. The way I hear it, only the Samsungs do better. And I think they cheat (assuming they don't explode first).

10-23-16 04:32 PM
    It's interesting how you cherry-pick the part of his comment about battery and assume that he's simply "making do." It doesn't sound to me like he's settling for the the battery life of the device or has had to adapt to it. It sounds to me like the battery life of the device allows him to do what he wants to do, how he wants to do it.
    Sure...if it works for him, that's fine with me. All I know is that I want a phone that will last a day without finding or carrying an additional power source.

I wasn't cherry-picking. Different strokes for different folks (pun intended).

10-23-16 04:36 PM
    I am convinced the single thing that wins people over to the iPhone is their visual rendering - from the quality of the display to how they "slide" the images across the screen - I was almost swayed to the dark side before I came to my senses :-)

Posted via CB10
    10-23-16 04:37 PM
    Eh, I was actually talking about the good old days. After all, BIS was compressed, in order to not stress the network. Remember Mike Lazaridus dismissed the iPhone for its excessive data usage, even going so far as to predict that the phone would crush AT&T's network. Which it did.

As far as battery life goes now, my Passport runs all day with the radio going full-time (as I listen to CBC) and my wife's Priv lasts well over a day. The way I hear it, only the Samsungs do better. And I think they cheat (assuming they don't explode first).

Nah, I consistently get better battery life on my 6S Plus then I do on my Passport with a much smaller battery in the phone. If the Passport didn't have a gargantuan battery in it it wouldn't last until noon. That states to how well BB10 is optimized for battery, which is that it isn't. My Priv battery life has always sucked, but I use phones heavily and your wife may not use hers like I use mine.
    10-23-16 04:44 PM
    Of course that's true. There is always a "switching cost" when one moves from one platform to another, but that's not really the issue in my opinion, because that's a one-time cost.

The much more important issue is the number of STEPS required to complete frequent tasks, even after learning the new platform, regardless of the time difference. My complaint with Apple's entire design philosophy, from a usability standpoint, is that they commonly sacrifice efficiency for simplicity. It's a great approach for the mass market and making money, but it's rarely the best approach for maximizing productivity for power users.

The iPhone is a great device for many people, but there's no getting around the fact that it is less efficient than either a properly configured Android or BB10 phone when it comes to the range of tasks available within one or two steps from any given state.

For example, while I am typing this (on BB10), I'm experiencing intermittent connection issues over my main work WiFi and need to switch over from one network to another. The required steps in BB10 are

1. Swipe up to home screen
    2. Swipe down for quick settings
    3. Click to select WiFi
    4. Select to select the new network
    5. Swipe up
    6. Click to return to original app

All of that can be completed with my thumb in 4 seconds without changing my grip on my phone, and more importantly, without breaking my concentration.

Even with iOS10, switching between WiFi networks on my iPhone is markedly less efficient than BB10 was at launch in 2013:

1. Press home to go to home screen
    2. Navigate to Settings app (which may or may not be on your first home screen)
    3. Select WiFi settings
    4. Select desired WiFi network
    5. Close settings (optional)
    6. Double click home or press/swipe from left to right to open task switcher
    7. Select original task

This may look like the same number of tasks, but it involves more screens and more complex steps, which has a cognitive cost in terms of work flow.

Apple has taken a step towards simplifying access to many settings via the swipe-up Control Center, but currently the only WiFi option available there is to toggle it on and off, and wait for a notification for whichever WiFi networks are available, NOT to switch between available networks, which pretty much makes it useless for the use case described.

I am not trying to bash Apple, which has been the major innovator in handsets over the past decade. But the issues are much more complex than many posters around here acknowledge. It's not simply a matter of the initial learning curve and "what you're used to" when it comes to the objective assessment of cognitive load for the use of an OS interface.

Posted via CB10
    You can just 3D press the settings app (I keep it on my homescreen) and switch wifi directly. Just one step to get to wifi screen!
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-23-16 06:35 PM
    You can just 3D press the settings app (I keep it on my homescreen) and switch wifi directly. Just one step to get to wifi screen!
    3D Touch is a big improvement of recent iPhones, but my understanding is you still have to navigate from the active app to the home screen, then into Settings and back to the app you're working in:

1. Press home button to get home screen.
    2. 3d press Settings (if it's on the home screen and not inside a folder or on another screen)
    3. Select new WiFi network
    4. Double click home for task switcher
    5. Return to app.

Am I missing something? Can you use 3D touch to avoid the Home screen and access WiFi settings from inside an active app?

Posted via CB10
    10-23-16 10:06 PM
    You are sorely mistaken in this point. Blackberry never learned anything about optimizing battery life. The Z10 has abysmal battery life, always has. The Q10 and Classic are decent, but small screens allow for the battery to last longer. The Z30's screen is a dim washed out AMOLED screen to help save battery life. The Passport has essentially a car battery in it, and it doesn't get as good of battery life as the iPhone 6S Plus or iPhone 7 Plus despite having much smaller batteries and a larger screen. When Blackberry moved away from tiny screens in BBOS and put LTE on their phones, the days of saying BB's got great battery life were over. The same goes with their Android handsets, poor battery life despite larger batteries to try and compensate.
    My Z10 had better battery life than my girlfriend's Samsung galaxy S3 and at least as good or better than her kid's iPhone 5. ( those were the phones of early 2013). I say had because while my z10 is alive and kicking and still used daily, the S3 and iPhone 5 are now bricks.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-16 10:46 PM
    Exactly. It allows me to do what I want to do. And battery life is good enough with what I do to run my phone 24 hours without charging. When I'm on a business trip I'm using a Mophie Juice Pack Plus as my iPhone case wich gives me 2100 mAp additional when needed. At home or on normal office/work days I'm using a standard Apple leather case.
    Greetings
    Henning
    MikeX74 likes this.
    10-24-16 12:30 AM
567 ... 1011121314 ...