Back on topic though iPhone is successful because of good marketing, well-made device, controlled ecosystem that ensures good quality control of the apps, and great optimization of the components such that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. That is why the iPhone despite lesser-appearing specs seems to keep beating "better" android phones in benchmark tests quite regularly.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    10-20-16 04:49 PM
    Logo

Posted via CB10
    10-20-16 04:53 PM
    Meh, this is CrackBerry... I've seen threads with 3 posts go off-topic!
    Look harder you will find them go sideways on post number 2
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-20-16 05:28 PM
    The five-finger pinch / squeeze will get you back to the home screen. But what to do from there... ? :-)

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    4-finger swipe up to access the app switcher?
    10-20-16 07:37 PM
    Back on topic though iPhone is successful because of good marketing, well-made device, controlled ecosystem that ensures good quality control of the apps, and great optimization of the components such that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. That is why the iPhone despite lesser-appearing specs seems to keep beating "better" android phones in benchmark tests quite regularly.

You forgot 'mystique'. While all of what you said is true, a lot of what drives (or maybe that should be in the past tense, drove) Apple was that many thought that Steve Jobs could walk on water. Heck, even he thought so.

Posted via CB10, on a BlackBerry Passport
    10-20-16 08:01 PM
    The Google Photo app is free and will automatically upload every pic and video, store and catalog it and can be viewed on any device. It's not full resolution but is still pretty good
    Just a comment on this. Up until about a year ago, Google gave you free unlimited photo uploads as long as you let them resize your pics to no larger than 2048x2048 pixels. You could upload at full resolution (whatever that was), but pics above 2048 would count towards your combined Gmail/Drive/Photos storage space.

But about a year back, they significantly increased the resolution of the free photo uploads. Now, anything 16 megapixels and under is free - and that covers just about all smartphone cameras (yes, there are a couple that exceed 16MP), which means that, for nearly everyone, you can save unlimited full-resolution pics in Google Photos. Today, the need to let Google downsize them really only applies to folks with higher-end digital SLRs - the ones that do 24MP photos.
    10-21-16 12:28 AM
    I really liked my windows phone, it's a shame that I needed various enterprise apps that were simply not available on it. It's shame the app support isn't there given that new HP Elite looks really nice.
    I am on the same boat as u 2.
    Just that i still hav hopes on a new Intel Atom processor & a Surface phone. U know what i mean and i am ready to wait another 4 years for that.
    10-21-16 01:21 AM
    I really liked my windows phone, it's a shame that I needed various enterprise apps that were simply not available on it. It's shame the app support isn't there given that new HP Elite looks really nice.
    compare app situation of window phone vs bb10, which one would you choice and why? just curious.. assume you can get a dtek 60 type of flag ship phone for bb10 (or a slight upgrade). thx.
    10-21-16 08:53 AM
    compare app situation of window phone vs bb10, which one would you choice and why? just curious.. assume you can get a dtek 60 type of flag ship phone for bb10 (or a slight upgrade). thx.
    I know you were not asking me, but between Windows and BB10 apps, I would go with Windows. The Windows(Surface) phone will be a pocket PC, so anything I do on my phone, I will be able to pick up where I left off and do on my computer.

One of things I enjoy about the Passport and blend. Sitting at my computer and being able to handle email and text without having to reach for a phone makes things easier for me.
    blackmass likes this.
    10-21-16 10:02 AM
    I'd get the windows phone - we are heavy into 0365 at work and it would just make more sense if I had to pick from either. Especially now the HP Elite x3 is available.
    DJ BigToe and blackmass like this.
    10-21-16 10:28 AM
    I'd get the windows phone - we are heavy into 0365 at work and it would just make more sense if I had to pick from either. Especially now the HP Elite x3 is available.
    many thanks big toe and cgk. just try to recover from the shock of >1000 price tag of Elite... i definitely not in that category ;-). go cry my eyes out...
    10-21-16 11:21 AM
    many thanks big toe and cgk. just try to recover from the shock of >1000 price tag of Elite... i definitely not in that category ;-). go cry my eyes out...
    Me neither but I'd expect work to pay - for my own usage - I always buy something from the previous year at a good price - hence I'm currently using a nexus 6p.
    stlabrat likes this.
    10-21-16 11:50 AM
    I did! Never had any problem until the OS10.xx update. Now I hate OS a little. Bloody home button...

I like my iPad for browsing and one game occasionally. Otherwise, it's not a useful device for me. My 4 year old ipod, on the other hand, is brilliant for music during all my car trips.

My 9930? Brilliant kindle reader and movie/mp3 player. Vs my android phone which is gathering dust, having been outmatched by my passport and it's hub.

When I drool over the new phones with their latest specs, sometimes it's great for me to remember that, from my standpoint, the older devices have been far more useful than all these hot new tech stuff.

Most of the time, when the Touch Id fails, it's because the home button is full of grease from your fingerprints lol

I noticed that if it doesn't work after the first two tries, it's basically impossible to make it work. Usually when I fails twice in a row, I just enter my password
    10-21-16 02:37 PM
    Might clear up some of the lack of knowledge about iOS that most all of us here have....

Many that swore they would never use Android have now come to embrace it and found it to be very powerful. Think many that swear they would never be able to use the iToy, might change their mind if they really understood that it has evolved beyond what it was in 2007.
    I have been experimenting with this feature, and, on iPhone 6s and later, pressing on the left side and swiping right is usable, but slow, compared to BB10's swipe up gesture. What's worse though is that, if you have multiple apps open, there is a lot of additional swiping required to select the one you want, and only a narrow area to touch to select the one you want.

My conclusion is that task switching on the iPhone is still inferior to BB10's task switching interface. You'd think that, with their resources and supposed design expertise, Apple should have a superior solution.

While it's clear that many users prefer having iPhone apps, cameras, etc, I refuse to switch to a phone that slows me down, even after I've invested significant time and energy learning how to use it correctly.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-16 12:46 PM
    I have been experimenting with this feature, and, on iPhone 6s and later, pressing on the left side and swiping right is usable, but slow, compared to BB10's swipe up gesture. What's worse though is that, if you have multiple apps open, there is a lot of additional swiping required to select the one you want, and only a narrow area to touch to select the one you want.

My conclusion is that task switching on the iPhone is still inferior to BB10's task switching interface. You'd think that, with their resources and supposed design expertise, Apple should have a superior solution.

While it's clear that many users prefer having iPhone apps, cameras, etc, I refuse to switch to a phone that slows me down, even after I've invested significant time and energy learning how to use it correctly.

Posted via CB10
    That really "slows you down?" I guess by a fraction of a second. Also finding the app you have open can take longer on iOS because you can have more than 8 open at a time.

Why not just press the home button? Swiping up and scrolling over on BB10 is still an action that has to be done just like double pressing the home button is an action. Just kind of seems like nitpicking to me, but people like what they like and if thats what works for you then go with it.
    10-22-16 01:24 PM
    We get that you are an iFan.

But if an IPhone actually had an SD media card capability you would see the need for a file manager.

Posted via CB10
    Here's the scenario I ran into that made me wish for a file manager:
    - installed app, entered lots of data
    - app stopped working, so I thought I could just reinstall it thinking my data was in some kind of documents folder
    - it wasnt.

Of course I guess I should have checked first, but there was no "search for data" function on the iPad, and coming from BlackBerry and Android I just assumed...

Posted via CB10
    10-22-16 01:49 PM
    - app stopped working, so I thought I could just reinstall it thinking my data was in some kind of documents folder
    - it wasnt.

Of course I guess I should have checked first, but there was no "search for data" function on the iPad, and coming from BlackBerry and Android I just assumed...

Posted via CB10
    What app was it?
    10-22-16 02:08 PM
    That really "slows you down?" I guess by a fraction of a second. Also finding the app you have open can take longer on iOS because you can have more than 8 open at a time.

Why not just press the home button? Swiping up and scrolling over on BB10 is still an action that has to be done just like double pressing the home button is an action. Just kind of seems like nitpicking to me, but people like what they like and if thats what works for you then go with it.
    The issue isn't time. It's "cognitive load," which is a critical factor in interface design. So, if a task requires two steps (press and swipe) compared to one (swipe up), that represents a 100% increase in cognitive load. If that action is repeated several hundred times per day, one will see a measurable decrease in productive cognitive output.

Apple's user design approach is geared towards simplicity and intuitive gestures, which is why it's easy for a novice (such as my 85 year old father) to learn it and become comfortable quickly. Unfortunately, that same approach punishes power users for whom it would be better to have more controls available with fewer clicks/gestures/keystrokes. That's why gaming mice have so many buttons, but Apple's original mouse had only one!

Posted via CB10
    10-22-16 02:53 PM
    - it wasnt.

There are a lot of PC characteristics that are actively discouraged on mobile operating systems such as apps that leave bits of themselves and their data stranded on your device indefinitely. Most of us still feel like we have do a clean install on a regular basis because PC programs drop data all over the place and don't always clean the up. So, most mobile apps delete their data when the app is deleted. Only data stored in cloud solutions such a Dropbox can be considered to be user-controlled.
    10-22-16 03:23 PM
    The issue isn't time. It's "cognitive load," which is a critical factor in interface design. So, if a task requires two steps (press and swipe) compared to one (swipe up), that represents a 100% increase in cognitive load. If that action is repeated several hundred times per day, one will see a measurable decrease in productive cognitive output.

Apple's user design approach is geared towards simplicity and intuitive gestures, which is why it's easy for a novice (such as my 85 year old father) to learn it and become comfortable quickly. Unfortunately, that same approach punishes power users for whom it would be better to have more controls available with fewer clicks/gestures/keystrokes. That's why gaming mice have so many buttons, but Apple's original mouse had only one!

Posted via CB10
    I agree that it's a pain to teach BB10 to someone... whereas iOS may not be very effective... but it's so easy to learn.
    10-22-16 03:45 PM
    I agree that it's a pain to teach BB10 to someone... whereas iOS may not be very effective... but it's so easy to learn.
    I showed my 12 year old cousin how to use my passport, she understood in under 5 minutes. Seemed painless.
    10-22-16 04:22 PM
    I showed my 12 year old cousin how to use my passport, she understood in under 5 minutes. Seemed painless.
    My 7 year old has no problem, either, but I did have to show her how to use it. She learned to use iOS at 3 with very little guidance.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-16 04:46 PM
    Not to be too snarky, but one can teach children of that age four different languages, a couple of manual skills, and possibly an art, like dance or musical instrument. Quite possibly one could teach them Linux, their minds are so plastic that they take it all in like a sponge.

Posted via CB10, on a BlackBerry Passport
    DJ BigToe and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    10-22-16 07:55 PM
    a lot of iphone buyers camp out overnight for days to be in line to get the latest iphone.....and they are not labelled as "nuts" for doing so......unless you are camped out waiting in line for a Dtek60, then they are referred to as such.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    10-22-16 08:46 PM

Posted via CB10
    If you do in fact believe that you are saving that much time, which I don't believe that you are having used both platforms extensively, you aren't saving as much time as you think you are:

10-22-16 08:47 PM
567 ... 910111213 ...