My young daughter loves taking photos and videos with the iPad, using all available storage, and, unless I have a PC around to transfer via USB, Apple makes it much too difficult to select and transfer files to another computer or even "normal" cloud storage.
    The Google Photo app is free and will automatically upload every pic and video, store and catalog it and can be viewed on any device. It's not full resolution but is still pretty good and certainly good enough for kids videos. All my kids have an account so I never have to worry about their photos and videos taking up too much space or being lost after they are deleted from the device.

Our kids will almost certainly use cloud storage for their photos and videos throughout their lives. I hate to think how many digital photos and videos I have lost over the years that were stored on physical media. Every several years, you have to change media and end up with legacy media that needs legacy devices to read. I would never throw away a box of old photos but hard drives and other media are often discarded without a thorough search. I guess that means I trust Google to keep my photos long term more than I trust myself.
    Last edited by early2bed; 10-20-16 at 11:28 AM.
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-20-16 11:00 AM
    I am a computer guy, but the issue is that iOS gives users little control over file and storage management, especially for photos and videos. My young daughter loves taking photos and videos with the iPad, using all available storage, and, unless I have a PC around to transfer via USB, Apple makes it much too difficult to select and transfer files to another computer or even "normal" cloud storage. On my BlackBerry device or on Android I can take a photo or video and transfer it wherever I like with ease. Apple's model is to "sync" files, not transfer them, except with the USB connection.

It can be done, of course, but it requires much too much effort.

What Apple wants, of course, is for its users to pay for more iCloud storage.

Posted via CB10
    I don't own an iDevice, just help others with them.... but once you understand the process, it's actually easier and there is less risk of a loss of data (phone or computer dying). This really helped me understand the process How to free up space on your iPhone or iPad with iCloud Photo Library | iMore

Yes you'll have to pay for more storage (or transfer the pictures more often)... but $.99 for 50GB (or $2.99 for 200GB) a month isn't too bad, and it's pretty easy to then transfer those images over to my network storage.

The thing is how many people have a home computer that they bother to turn on anymore? How many people use a network storage device - and have it backed up? For the "non computer" people, what Apple is offering is a more secure and fairly easy and foolproof solution. But no, it's not cheap. But then neither is buying a network storage devcie or a hard drive for a computer....

Personally, I had high hopes for Windows 10 for mobile devices.... oh well.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-20-16 11:11 AM
    Please explain what gesture let's me switch tasks without double pressing the home button first. I just checked Apple's support site, and they say that you have to double click the home button to activate task switching.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not sure what other gestures StephanieMaks is referring to since I'm a relatively new iOS user, but on devices with 3D touch, you just press on the left of the screen to get the app switcher.

Too many users today think that you should have a dedicated app for every activity. They seem very content to deal with a great deal of "friction" transitioning from one task to another. I prefer an OS that functions as a dashboard, where I can see current status of everything and then transition to any function with angle click or gesture. iOS is the opposite of that. They want you to download dedicated apps for every activity.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with you that I like an OS that functions as a dashboard, and that's largely what I was getting at here. iOS keeps getting better in this regard, otherwise it would be unusable for me. The widget screen (when you swipe left from the home screen) has basically replaced my home screen, and I probably use only use a third of them that are available to me.

It's actually one thing about BB10 that I was disappointed with (granted, I only stuck around until 10.2 so I'm not sure what all has changed since then). It drove me crazy that active frames weren't widely used among apps, and the ones that did have that ability showed me information that was less important than the snapshot I actually needed.
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 10-20-16 at 02:23 PM. Reason: sometimes i don't word good
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-20-16 11:45 AM
    Please explain what gesture let's me switch tasks without double pressing the home button first. I just checked Apple's support site, and they say that you have to double click the home button to activate task switching.

Posted via CB10
    Some videos may help with the demonstration better.

IOS 9 :

iPad on IOS 6 :

IOS 7 :

They may not be your fancy but they're in there alright.
    10-20-16 12:10 PM
    Some videos may help with the demonstration better.

They may not be your fancy but they're in there alright.
    Thanks I didn't know the exact gestures myself but my mum uses them all the time on her iPad, and I remember first reading about them in iOS7. Didn't realize they had gestures in iOS6 as well.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-20-16 12:30 PM
    Basically anything that allows me to not have to launch a full app each time I want to do something small.
    Which is one of the reasons that I liked WinPhone's Live Tiles concept... the small things are constantly being updated on the tile, and can be seen at a glance; and if you need more, clicking on the tile opens the App.

In many respects the UI on the iPhone I now have is a step backwards from the WinPhone I had... but, I need those key Apps, so the WinPhone had to go!
    10-20-16 01:18 PM
    Which is one of the reasons that I liked WinPhone's Live Tiles concept... the small things are constantly being updated on the tile, and can be seen at a glance; and if you need more, clicking on the tile opens the App.

In many respects the UI on the iPhone I now have is a step backwards from the WinPhone I had... but, I need those key Apps, so the WinPhone had to go!
    Do any of your most-used apps use 3D touch? I find that a lot of my apps show me info with a long press on the app, or shortcuts that will take me directly to places within the app without having to open the app first then find the info you need. For example:

JeepBB and donnation like this.
    10-20-16 01:34 PM
    Do any of your most-used apps use 3D touch? I find that a lot of my apps show me info with a long press on the app, or shortcuts that will take me directly to places within the app without having to open the app first then find the info you need. For example:
    Gosh, you're right! I'd never thought to try that!

Thanks for that, I'll have to see what Apps have that enabled.

I'm sure that this is soooo wrong on soooo many levels - sharing iOS tips on CB!
    10-20-16 02:09 PM

I'm sure that this is soooo wrong on soooo many levels - sharing iOS tips on CB!
    Might clear up some of the lack of knowledge about iOS that most all of us here have....

Many that swore they would never use Android have now come to embrace it and found it to be very powerful. Think many that swear they would never be able to use the iToy, might change their mind if they really understood that it has evolved beyond what it was in 2007.
    10-20-16 02:21 PM
    Might clear up some of the lack of knowledge about iOS that most all of us here have....

Many that swore they would never use Android have now come to embrace it and found it to be very powerful. Think many that swear they would never be able to use the iToy, might change their mind if they really understood that it has evolved beyond what it was in 2007.
    I agree 100%
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-20-16 02:24 PM

Or even what it was just a couple of years ago! I've had an iPad for a few years (and I had forgot about the multi-finger gestures because they're kind of weird for me) and I never thought I could use iOS as a daily driver. When I watched the iPhone 6s/6s+ keynote last year I was like "OK, this might finally be something I could use!" It's only gotten better, too, especially with the widgets and more robust 3D Touch implementation. Sure the iPhone came with some learning curves, and I had to get used to doing things differently than on my iPad which doesn't have as many features, but it's a great workhorse for me.
    10-20-16 02:31 PM

The Live Tiles were a nice concept, but in reality they were buggy and tended to be more "dead" than "live".
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-20-16 03:06 PM
    I always had a suspicion that live tiles burned through the battery faster. When I had a windows phone, I just froze all the tiles or minimized them.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    10-20-16 03:12 PM
    I think the main inconvenient of apple, the main critic that it's a very closed echo system is what makes it so successful. I went from the Z30 to the iPhone 6s plus and what surprised me is how having such a closed echo system makes thing so simple for them. Processor, battery, apps... everything seems to work better and easier together.
    10-20-16 03:18 PM
    The Live Tiles were a nice concept, but in reality they were buggy and tended to be more "dead" than "live".
    Can't talk now... trying out my iPhone long press... LOL

Yeah, you're right. I often had to restart my Lumia to revive the tiles. Most often (IIRC) after I'd let the phone sleep - I think the background resume logic wasn't all it could have been. But, of all the UI's I've used, I still think WinPhone is my favourite - I loved the Fischer-Price look and the deceptive simplicity and the fact it was so different to the "grid of icons" that seems to be the universal standard.
    10-20-16 03:32 PM

Yeah, you're right. I often had to restart my Lumia to revive the tiles. Most often (IIRC) after I'd let the phone sleep - I think the background resume logic wasn't all it could have been. But, of all the UI's I've used, I still think WinPhone is my favourite - I loved the Fischer-Price look and the deceptive simplicity and the fact it was so different to the "grid of icons" that seems to be the universal standard.
    I really liked my windows phone, it's a shame that I needed various enterprise apps that were simply not available on it. It's shame the app support isn't there given that new HP Elite looks really nice.
    10-20-16 03:34 PM

I can't stand the convoluted path to turning on an idevice. Push and hold, wait it didn't register my fingerprint, try again, another delay, then it says enter passcode. What for? Didn't see my fingerprint still?

Bloody bloody hell.

I almost prefer to use my ipod 4th gen that is too old to handle all that home button turning on nonsense.

Thank goodness for swipe to wake on passport!

10-20-16 03:42 PM
    Yeah, but I'd love to see someone implement that idea well.
    10-20-16 03:55 PM
    I can't stand the convoluted path to turning on an idevice. Push and hold, wait it didn't register my fingerprint, try again, another delay, then it says enter passcode. What for? Didn't see my fingerprint still?

Bloody bloody hell.

I almost prefer to use my ipod 4th gen that is too old to handle all that home button turning on nonsense.

Thank goodness for swipe to wake on passport!

I have a tip for this one as well! Register your prints more than once. Move your finger a bit each time you put your finger to the home button when registering.
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    10-20-16 03:59 PM

Not to mention so off topic based on the original post

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-20-16 04:01 PM
    I have a tip for this one as well! Register your prints more than once. Move your finger a bit each time you put your finger to the home button when registering.
    I did! Never had any problem until the OS10.xx update. Now I hate OS a little. Bloody home button...

I like my iPad for browsing and one game occasionally. Otherwise, it's not a useful device for me. My 4 year old ipod, on the other hand, is brilliant for music during all my car trips.

My 9930? Brilliant kindle reader and movie/mp3 player. Vs my android phone which is gathering dust, having been outmatched by my passport and it's hub.

When I drool over the new phones with their latest specs, sometimes it's great for me to remember that, from my standpoint, the older devices have been far more useful than all these hot new tech stuff.

10-20-16 04:13 PM
    I did! Never had any problem until the OS10.xx update. Now I hate OS a little. Bloody home button...

I like my iPad for browsing and one game occasionally. Otherwise, it's not a useful device for me. My 4 year old ipod, on the other hand, is brilliant for music during all my car trips.

My 9930? Brilliant kindle reader and movie/mp3 player. Vs my android phone which is gathering dust, having been outmatched by my passport and it's hub.

When I drool over the new phones with their latest specs, sometimes it's great for me to remember that, from my standpoint, the older devices have been far more useful than all these hot new tech stuff.

That sucks that the update seems to have made your fingerprint scanner glitch . Could you take it to an Apple store and demonstrate? You might get a new device out of the deal.

I used my 9930 for an mp3 player for quite awhile too!! Loved that little thing. I don't think I could use it as a Kindle reader, though!
    10-20-16 04:18 PM
    Not to mention so off topic based on the original post
    Meh, this is CrackBerry... I've seen threads with 3 posts go off-topic!
    10-20-16 04:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    The five-finger pinch / squeeze will get you back to the home screen. But what to do from there... ? :-)

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    10-20-16 04:27 PM
    That sucks that the update seems to have made your fingerprint scanner glitch . Could you take it to an Apple store and demonstrate? You might get a new device out of the deal.

I used my 9930 for an mp3 player for quite awhile too!! Loved that little thing. I don't think I could use it as a Kindle reader, though!
    Yes I love it as a kindle reader. The screen is small but legible and you can adjust font if needed. You'll have to seach around for the kindle app. It's definitely available but not on the bbw store anymore for OS7.

Battery lasts forever. I can go a week before recharging. 9930 is such a great device.

10-20-16 04:36 PM
567 ... 89101112 ...