Z10-Z30 users are waiting for the successor,, passport users wants the upgrade,,classic users wants the upgrade,whatsapp facebook the most common n important social media apps are gone, blackberry abandoned their own os,android sucks so there's only one way-the iphone. Look at the dtek50 release, they did it so secretly that they don't want the world to know about it and no one would care about the dtek60 too. People didn't left blackberry but blackberry betrayed blackberry.

The Living Legend- Babbu Maan.
    Couldn't agree more. BlackBerry lost its focus years ago and only now is starting to put together a coherent strategy. Unfortunately, that plan leaves BB10 in the dust and abandons some of their previously loyal fans. But until BlackBerry figures out how to create a decent marketing campaign - heck, even 1/2 of a decent marketing campaign, all of the current efforts will still leave them with little market share. I still think Chen is only trying boost the profits just enough to get BlackBerry bought by a company that would want the security aspects... maybe Google.

As much as I understand the business arguments for going Android with the new BlackBerry phones, Android is a crap OS in my opinion (I use it everyday on a Samsung Galaxy tablet) and so I won't be following BlackBerry down that road. That leaves iPhone or another sinking ship, Windows Phone. Win Phone looks more to my style and what I want in a phone but it's looking more and more like MS might pull a BlackBerry and abandon it. So, it might be that an iPhone is the only viable option for me. Sigh.
    10-19-16 08:57 AM
    Apple also groomed kids from when they were young in schools and with ipods. They are coming to harvest on all those time they spent with kdis back then so teh newer gen are all used to Apple Products.
    They still do this, and it is great for them. The kids use iPads in school, inevitably play games on them which gets them indoctrinated into the ecosystem, and then they are hooked.

BlackBerry tried something similar with the PB a few years ago, at least at the college/university level, but by then it was just too late. It's a shame, but they were too late to the party.

Posted via CB10
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    10-19-16 09:41 AM
    They also use FaceTime and iMessage as exclusive iOS communication apps which encourages families to stay on iOS. If the kids are using an iPad to send messages and do video chat then, of course, mom and dad and the grandparents want to be in on it. You can't tell a 7 year-old to set up a Skype or WhatsApp so that they can talk to you.

It's the same thing that BlackBerry tried to do with BBM but they failed at building an ecosystem of compelling smartphones, tablets, and PCs that Apple did.
    10-19-16 09:57 AM
    They also use FaceTime and iMessage as exclusive iOS communication apps which encourages families to stay on iOS. If the kids are using an iPad to send messages and do video chat then, of course, mom and dad and the grandparents want to be in on it. You can't tell a 7 year-old to set up a Skype or WhatsApp so that they can talk to you.

It's the same thing that BlackBerry tried to do with BBM but they failed at building an ecosystem of compelling smartphones, tablets, and PCs that Apple did.
    BBM could have been what iMessage is now. Had they gone cross platform when they were on top, they would have given themselves the chance at being the #1 IM client.

It's just wasted opportunity after wasted opportunity.

 Classically Posted SQC100-4/10.3.2.2876 
    Troy Tiscareno and JeepBB like this.
    10-19-16 10:13 AM
    I assumed it to b a joke. Performed a web search, the results do not point to any definite evidence.

Edit - i did not look too deep into the search anyway.
    A pretty good analysis can be found here: Railroad Gauges and Roman Chariots : snopes.com
    10-19-16 10:18 AM
    Apple has found the right mix of advertising, build quality, functionality and productivity to appeal to the masses.

The unveiling thing that they do every year is insane. Watching the iphone 7 launch made me want to buy one. They are the kings of making the phone seem like a must have

 Classically Posted SQC100-4/10.3.2.2876 
    10-19-16 10:37 AM
    The really amazing marketing trick is to make your product both accessible and ubiquitous and aspirational at the same time. An adult professional who buys a new iPhone on day one feels like they have the latest, greatest technology and will show it off. At the same time, you can walk into any middle school class and find a kid who has an iPhone. What other product can you say that about?
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    10-19-16 10:57 AM
    UI? What's that? You'll get used to it. You were just using it to launch the apps, anyway.
    I actually disagree with this. The UI is important to me because I see it as a function of the phone. If I can configure my device to show me information/complete tasks I need with as few taps/gestures as possible then it's a win for me. I value a UI that offers actionable widgets (or at least configurable widgets that show me needed info) and toast notifications with easy reply/trash/archive/dismiss actions. Basically anything that allows me to not have to launch a full app each time I want to do something small.
    JeepBB and TgeekB like this.
    10-19-16 11:35 AM
    STOP!!!!!! That would make it a productivity device.
    an iphone as a productive device? It can't be lol
    xtremeled likes this.
    10-19-16 01:20 PM
    For me, iOS is almost unusable. I always have the latest iPad for my 75 year old mother-in-law to use for watching videos, because she never multitasks and therefore can avoid double-clicking the home button. For me the complete lack of file management, the inefficient task switching/multitasking flow, and the lack of a Hub-type interface for communications completely rule out iOS as a business device

Posted via CB10
    ALToronto likes this.
    10-19-16 02:06 PM
    For me, iOS is almost unusable. I always have the latest iPad for my 75 year old mother-in-law to use for watching videos, because she never multitasks and therefore can avoid double-clicking the home button. For me the complete lack of file management, the inefficient task switching/multitasking flow, and the lack of a Hub-type interface for communications completely rule out iOS as a business device

Posted via CB10
    Bet your a "computer guy"... most of us can't imagine not having a file manager.

More and more I keep thinking about how you can't teach and old dog new tricks. And I push myself not to be left behind with BlackBerry. I don't yet own an iDevice myself by I have started using my wife's iPad and even played with her old and new iPhones. Not sure why you would need a file manager? In what case might I want some multitasking beyond what iOS does? HUB... isn't that what the notification screen is?

No doubt iOS isn't for everyone, but it's pretty clear that it is the platform of choice for the business world.

For me BB10 was almost unusable.... we each have to find what works for us.
    10-19-16 02:30 PM
    Having to use file manager is kind of considered to be failure for a mobile OS. It's like the OS s saying "I have no idea what you are looking for - it could be anywhere . Here are a bunch of files - check the extension to see what kind of file it is. If you can't tell then double click it and I'll try to figure it out for you but don't freak out because practically anything can happen - a picture, a video, a song, a document, a program might launch. Make sure you know what you are doing because I don't. I don't even know if I can handle it. You might have to download something to help but it may actually be impossible. Maybe you can do a search and I will show you everything I can think of that exists."
    10-19-16 02:44 PM
    Having to use file manager is kind of considered to be failure for a mobile OS. It's like the OS s saying "I have no idea what you are looking for - it could be anywhere . Here are a bunch of files - check the extension to see what kind of file it is. If you can't tell then double click it and I'll try to figure it out for you but don't freak out because practically anything can happen - a picture, a video, a song, a document, a program might launch. Make sure you know what you are doing because I don't. I don't even know if I can handle it. You might have to download something to help but it may actually be impossible. Maybe you can do a search and I will show you everything I can think of that exists."
    I absolutely need a file manager. I also use my phone as a thumb drive and often receive emails with attachments that must be handled, stored or uploaded to cloud storage that will definitely not be recognized by any of the major mobile OSes. I would prefer better integration from BB10s file manager though such as video editing, slideshow options to be available, or at least thumbnail view and a drag to select multiple files option.
    10-19-16 03:09 PM
    We get that you are an iFan.

But if an IPhone actually had an SD media card capability you would see the need for a file manager.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-16 03:30 PM
    You have no idea what perceived value is about.
    Yeah, that perception has been thoroughly engineered... ;-D

(Wish BlackBerry had picked some Apple-style advertising! )

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    10-19-16 03:41 PM
    Mmmmhhhh, except that Un*x/Linux systems don't look for extensions, but a signature. You can have a file without any extension on a Linux computer for example, and it still shows as a PDF, ... even without the ".pdf" at the end.

File name extensions are a Windows thing.

Anyway, the usefulness of a File Manager to sort stuff is out of question for most power users, even on Android... :-)

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    10-19-16 03:46 PM

Posted via CB10
    On newer iPhones with 3D touch you don't need to keep clicking the home button to switch tasks. Also when you're in an app, on most you can swipe in between views/pages.
    10-19-16 03:48 PM
    Bet your a "computer guy"... most of us can't imagine not having a file manager.

More and more I keep thinking about how you can't teach and old dog new tricks. .
    The other one is - and I noticed this a lot before webosnation died - more people here than in the average population ask how they can sync their devices with the desktop and with a local outlook profile - something completely alien to most people under say 35 (and me actually).
    10-19-16 03:58 PM
    The other one is - and I noticed this a lot before webosnation died - more people here than in the average population ask how they can sync their devices with the desktop and with a local outlook profile - something completely alien to most people under say 35 (and me actually).
    Is this because the under 35 crowd syncs with a "cloud" and therefore doesn't mind giving up control of their data and information to a third party that cannot possibly guarantee it's security? I'll stick with the local backup, thanks, even though that won't even be possible in the not too distant future as all devices by all OEMs go the route of the cloud only.
    10-19-16 05:32 PM
    On iOS we write files into our app's sandbox using a key which is specific to our company and our user (both). So other apps can't read those files unless we explicitly choose to share them (with other apps from our bank, for example)

This is one reason why a file manager isn't practical on iOS. Most users have hardware encryption on and so the files aren't usable/readable directly off the FS anyway.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 10-19-16 at 08:00 PM.
    10-19-16 06:53 PM
    On newer iPhones with 3D touch you don't need to keep clicking the home button to switch tasks. Also when you're in an app, on most you can swipe in between views/pages.
    On any iOS device that could load iOS 7 or later you can task switch / get back to the home screen without ever pushing a button. There's gestures for all that stuff, for 3 years now.
    10-19-16 07:59 PM
    Is this because the under 35 crowd syncs with a "cloud" and therefore doesn't mind giving up control of their data and information to a third party that cannot possibly guarantee it's security? I'll stick with the local backup, thanks, even though that won't even be possible in the not too distant future as all devices by all OEMs go the route of the cloud only.
    My point isnt that one is better than the other but that the behaviours here don't represent mainstream users - and that is partly why it is an unattractive group to build phones for.
    Jerry A and JeepBB like this.
    10-20-16 02:05 AM

More and more I keep thinking about how you can't teach and old dog new tricks. And I push myself not to be left behind with BlackBerry. I don't yet own an iDevice myself by I have started using my wife's iPad and even played with her old and new iPhones. Not sure why you would need a file manager? In what case might I want some multitasking beyond what iOS does? HUB... isn't that what the notification screen is?

No doubt iOS isn't for everyone, but it's pretty clear that it is the platform of choice for the business world.

For me BB10 was almost unusable.... we each have to find what works for us.
    I am a computer guy, but the issue is that iOS gives users little control over file and storage management, especially for photos and videos. My young daughter loves taking photos and videos with the iPad, using all available storage, and, unless I have a PC around to transfer via USB, Apple makes it much too difficult to select and transfer files to another computer or even "normal" cloud storage. On my BlackBerry device or on Android I can take a photo or video and transfer it wherever I like with ease. Apple's model is to "sync" files, not transfer them, except with the USB connection.

It can be done, of course, but it requires much too much effort.

What Apple wants, of course, is for its users to pay for more iCloud storage.

Posted via CB10
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    10-20-16 10:44 AM
    On any iOS device that could load iOS 7 or later you can task switch / get back to the home screen without ever pushing a button. There's gestures for all that stuff, for 3 years now.
    Please explain what gesture let's me switch tasks without double pressing the home button first. I just checked Apple's support site, and they say that you have to double click the home button to activate task switching.

Posted via CB10
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    10-20-16 10:49 AM
    I actually disagree with this. The UI is important to me because I see it as a function of the phone. If I can configure my device to show me information/complete tasks I need with as few taps/gestures as possible then it's a win for me. I value a UI that offers actionable widgets (or at least configurable widgets that show me needed info) and toast notifications with easy reply/trash/archive/dismiss actions. Basically anything that allows me to not have to launch a full app each time I want to do something small.
    Too many users today think that you should have a dedicated app for every activity. They seem very content to deal with a great deal of "friction" transitioning from one task to another. I prefer an OS that functions as a dashboard, where I can see current status of everything and then transition to any function with angle click or gesture. iOS is the opposite of that. They want you to download dedicated apps for every activity.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-16 10:55 AM
567 ... 7891011 ...