So, going back to your 45 year old example, Are you saying that todays processors, based on their capabilities are not considered innovative when compared to the example you put out there. Dual core, quad core, octo core, hyper threading, advanced design and so on? Would you also think thqat the addition of a turbocharger on an internal combustion engine is not innovative? The engine design itself hasn't really changed. Perhaps you're just unable to admit you're wrong. Dont feel bad, you're not alone. A lot of people have the defect
    Adding a turbo charger, yes.
    10-18-16 11:42 AM
    This is quite possibly the dumbest statement ever made on this forum. You do realize, perhaps you dont, that it was the lack of apps that killed BB10. A lack of apps, an unfinished OS, average build quality at best, the inability to catch up. Yes, to catch up. Perhaps you can expand on why an iPhone is not new and / or innovative.
    What does BlackBerries lack of apps have to do with anything as far as this thread is concerned? On top of that, I never said having a dumbed down smart phone was a bad thing. The original question was why do "we" think the iphone does so well. I answered with my opinion. You don't have to like it, or agree with it. Doesn't make it any less true.
    10-18-16 11:48 AM
    There was this joke on whatsapp which went on to explain y the standard railroad gauge in the USA is 4 feet 8.5 inches.
    It said that in the old days when the carriages were pulled by horses, the designers had to take into account the width of 2 horse's rear ends while designing the tracks.
    That came about to around 4 feet 8.5 inches.
    So in order to accommodate 2 horse's ***es they had to make the railroad that wide.
    We r still having the same measurements in a large part of the world.
    Point is - if we can't replace space equivalent to 2 horses rear end once established as standard, how do v even dream of replacing 2 operating systems established as the standard, b it even by offering security, smoothness, built quality etc etc.
    The best v can hope for is to adjust ourself with the 2 horses's rear end, or have something that is equivalent to the rear ends.
    Mind u, some parts of the satellites in outer space have been transported using railroads, so their width was designed accordingly. U can make out how important the horses's a** is.
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    10-18-16 11:54 AM
    BB Hub, Closed ecosystem (refinement android absolutely did not have in 2013), Ability to run Android apps (Amazon or side-loading for tinkerers), Gesture based UI, Peek and flow, Of course the most secure OS available at the time would be hyped, Blackberry Video and music was pretty nice although nowhere near iTunes.
    Just think about what Apple advertised for the iPhone. By 2013 they were no longer using the "YOU NEED THIS" strategy but instead using emotional draw to hype its products. they used various unnamed apps to show compelling images of things people may be emotionally tied to. It was not a display of unique abilities of the device but instead series of beautiful things and sounds displayed on the device.
    Blackberry's few ads hardly showed the device and almost never showcased what it can actually do. the vast majority of the public had no idea the device existed, the few that saw the ads had no idea how it was different from the Blackberry their parents carried as a corporate device.
    Android did have Candy Crush and Instagram in 2013.... BB10 didn't, at least not without a LOT of work.

It was 2014 befroe we got the ability to install APK or the Amazon Store, by that point Carrier's and their sales staff already had a "enterprise" only view of BB10. And the market in general was waiting for BlackBerry to go belly up.

May forget or weren't there... but we didn't have Cobalt and 3rd party app stores in the spring or summer of 2013 when BlackBerry was doing their launch and marketing for BB10, Z10 and Q10. For awhile there BlackBerry was even locking down sideloading... had to have a developer key that had to be updated every month just to convert and sideload the apps that would work. WAY too much work even for most tinkerers....
    cgk, JeepBB and Jerry A like this.
    10-18-16 12:04 PM
    What does BlackBerries lack of apps have to do with anything as far as this thread is concerned? On top of that, I never said having a dumbed down smart phone was a bad thing. The original question was why do "we" think the iphone does so well. I answered with my opinion. You don't have to like it, or agree with it. Doesn't make it any less true.
    BlackBerry was the only option "back in the day". Now there are a ton of options in the "smart phone" market. Like Jonas said, marketing tells them what to buy. If they new there was a phone that had better specs, sitting on the shelf 2 phones down, they may just buy that one instead.
    If I recall correctly, having a BlackBerry back then was the "cool" thing to use. Jump to day, and iphone is the "cool" thing to use. People want to fit in, so they buy what everyone else is buying. I heard a 12 year old girl making fun of a classmate, because she didn't have an iphone. I have 30-40 something year olds, making fun of me when I pull out my Passport to send an email. But, I'm to smooth to be embarrassed. So I'm not about to be punked into buying a phone I don't want.
    Most of the iphone users I know are on to their 2nd or 3rd, 4th device as well. They buy a new one every year and pass the old one onto their kids. I guess after a year, the phone wasn't living up to expectations. That, or they just want the newest iphone, no matter what. But I'm guessing if they didn't know there was a new one, they wouldn't be standing in line to get one.
    10-18-16 12:08 PM
    Apple stigma and their rock solid marketing. That was way before any apps.
    10-18-16 12:25 PM
    This maybe a weird question on a blackberry forum, but I'm starting to see it more and more in threads, how people are abandoning blackberry for iphones, and was wondering why people feel or think iphones are so much more successful than blackberry devices?

Posted via CB10
    It took over two months of dealing with BlackBerry to get phone fixed. I have chatted online with apple and problem solved or made a genius appointment and ipad was either fixed immediately or I got a new one.

Service service service.

Posted via CB10
    xtremeled and TgeekB like this.
    10-18-16 12:30 PM
    It was a more than a year ago, but I remember going to a website that let you compare different phones- processor speed, screen resolution, memory capacity etc. My wife was looking at a Samsung Galaxy 5 and a comparable Iphone. Because I was thinking of getting one, I throw the Passport in as well. I don't remember actual numbers, but I do recall not seeing anything that stood out on the Iphone.
    It's hard to comment without looking at specific numbers, of course. One thing that I've seen before, though, is a comparison of clock speed in processors. It doesn't matter that processor A has a higher clock speed than B if the two processors are different. Apple processors are, clock for clock, faster than anything Qualcomm has today.

So if you looked at clock speeds, then you would have missed that important distinction.

Similarly with RAM, iOS is more efficient with RAM usage than others. So again, X RAM vs Y RAM only matter is you're comparing phones which run the same OS.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and JeepBB like this.
    10-18-16 12:41 PM
    There was this joke on whatsapp which went on to explain y the standard railroad gauge in the USA is 4 feet 8.5 inches.
    It said that in the old days when the carriages were pulled by horses, the designers had to take into account the width of 2 horse's rear ends while designing the tracks.
    That came about to around 4 feet 8.5 inches.
    So in order to accommodate 2 horse's ***es they had to make the railroad that wide.
    We r still having the same measurements in a large part of the world.
    Point is - if we can't replace space equivalent to 2 horses rear end once established as standard, how do v even dream of replacing 2 operating systems established as the standard, b it even by offering security, smoothness, built quality etc etc.
    The best v can hope for is to adjust ourself with the 2 horses's rear end, or have something that is equivalent to the rear ends.
    Mind u, some parts of the satellites in outer space have been transported using railroads, so their width was designed accordingly. U can make out how important the horses's a** is.
    Symbian, Brew, BBOS, PalmOS(not really) and many others have come and gone as the dominant OS for mobile. As the next big hits it allows new opportunity for other software makers to make their climb to dominance. The leaders do everything they can to suppress progress or herd the sheep into their development path. If not for the trends or specific demands that pop up we would all be still running some BREW evolutionary OS on microscopic flip phones. Google will do everything to suppress or direct evolution so they can remain dominate.
    10-18-16 01:17 PM
    Symbian, Brew, BBOS, PalmOS(not really) and many others have come and gone as the dominant OS for mobile. As the next big hits it allows new opportunity for other software makers to make their climb to dominance. The leaders do everything they can to suppress progress or herd the sheep into their development path. If not for the trends or specific demands that pop up we would all be still running some BREW evolutionary OS on microscopic flip phones. Google will do everything to suppress or direct evolution so they can remain dominate.
    Well, if that is the case, then y the hue & cry at bb10's demise ?
    The nature is evolving exactly as it should.
    10-18-16 01:25 PM
    There was this joke on whatsapp ...
    This will be a non-issue for BlackBerry users in 2017.

Symbian, Brew, BBOS, PalmOS(not really) and many others have come and gone as the dominant OS for mobile.
    That was when most people didn't have smartphones and of those who did, most didn't ever install 3rd party apps.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-18-16 01:26 PM
    Well, if that is the case, then y the hue & cry at bb10's demise ?
    The nature is evolving exactly as it should.
    The problem is it is NOT evolving as it should. It is like mankind creating its own path that suits its own needs. If you are not man your species is likely to be influenced into whatever direction man decides.
    Google is farming us into cattle, breed out the aggression and horns so we are easier to extract money. You want THIS... everything else is not good because it doesn't work with Google.
    10-18-16 01:30 PM
    This will be a non-issue for BlackBerry users in 2017.

That was when most people didn't have smartphones and of those who did, most didn't ever install 3rd party apps.
    Exactly.. then came the popularity of mobile data. It was slow so web was painful, hence the birth of the app. Like web but the heavy stuff was installed locally with minimal data from the web for use. Now high speed internet means we don't need apps but apps are too profitable to let go of. Web data is a cash cow so it is also causing us to need to limit our use. Google/Android isn't a solution, they merely take advantage of the situation. Ad based free OS that is basically just an APP platform.
    10-18-16 01:36 PM
    This maybe a weird question on a blackberry forum, but I'm starting to see it more and more in threads, how people are abandoning blackberry for iphones, and was wondering why people feel or think iphones are so much more successful than blackberry devices?

Posted via CB10
    There are 5 key things people look at when purchasing a device. (In My Opinion)

Design Aesthetics
    Performance
    Functionality
    App Availability
    Brand Value

Apple has nailed all of those areas, which is why they will continue to perform well.

Blackberry has great designs (BB10 + Priv + Mercury)
    average performance (Snapdragon S4)
    Low - Medium App Availability
    and currently low Brand Value (Except for those who love security)

To me, Blackberry have good brand value because i value security and i love the qwerty keyboard. i always try to promote Blackberry to anyone i meet.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    10-18-16 01:36 PM
    The problem is it is NOT evolving as it should. It is like mankind creating its own path that suits its own needs. If you are not man your species is likely to be influenced into whatever direction man decides.
    Google is farming us into cattle, breed out the aggression and horns so we are easier to extract money. You want THIS... everything else is not good because it doesn't work with Google.
    Is this really a Google issue? You've pretty much described every industry and every major industry player.
    10-18-16 01:37 PM
    Once u give in to nature, it is immaterial what should happen or what should not happen. Nature decides what happens.
    It is irrelevant what I want or U want, this discussion is heading into the realm of evolutionary philosophy.
    Had bb10 taken off with flying colours, there wud hav been an Android forum criticising bb10.
    It is the way nature is.
    10-18-16 01:40 PM
    Is this really a Google issue? You've pretty much described every industry and every major industry player.
    I don't blame Google no. It is what we do, I am simply explaining why i believe certain devices/OSs succeed and some fail. Some people have no problem just going with the flow but i always feel the need to support what I like rather than what I'm told to like. I never liked BBOS and in fact my first BB device was a storm on release. I ran Windows mobile PPC devices until then and felt the same way when they failed to catch on.
    10-18-16 01:43 PM
    Google's been around less than 20 years and they are somehow redirecting man's evolution.... Someone call Austin Powers.
    JeepBB, DrBoomBotz, TGR1 and 2 others like this.
    10-18-16 01:44 PM
    Steve Jobs had a great and compelling story that sold, he not only set it out but he followed through on a vision of minimilistic beauty. Without his influence, many devices would be a lot 'uglier' Inc laptops uni, typography etc. Everything else is just details

Posted via CB10
    DaDaDogg likes this.
    10-18-16 01:46 PM
    I don't blame Google no. It is what we do, I am simply explaining why i believe certain devices/OSs succeed and some fail. Some people have no problem just going with the flow but i always feel the need to support what I like rather than what I'm told to like. I never liked BBOS and in fact my first BB device was a storm on release. I ran Windows mobile PPC devices until then and felt the same way when they failed to catch on.
    So what about the people that genuinely like the products put out by Apple or Google (or any other market dominant producer)?

It may not be your intent, but your statements come off as though such a population doesn't exist.
    10-18-16 01:51 PM
    Exactly.. then came the popularity of mobile data. It was slow so web was painful, hence the birth of the app. Like web but the heavy stuff was installed locally with minimal data from the web for use. Now high speed internet means we don't need apps but apps are too profitable to let go of. Web data is a cash cow so it is also causing us to need to limit our use. Google/Android isn't a solution, they merely take advantage of the situation. Ad based free OS that is basically just an APP platform.
    Seems like u r against the present computing/ mobility model.
    What, in ur opinion is a better model ?
    10-18-16 02:16 PM
    This is anecdotal, because it's just my experience, but...

I got my first iPhone last year on launch day (Sept 25th) after using Sidekick, BlackBerry, and Android up until that point. For nearly an entire year I used it thinking it was a great phone but not really anything that special. Then something occurred to me. I have had absolutely no problems with it. I can't even count how many warranty replacements of various phones I've had throughout the years. It seems like after a few months SOMETHING would go wrong with nearly every phone I've ever had, whether it was random battery drains (LG G2), random glitches (like the Sony Xperia Z erasing my memory cards), GPS refusing to hold a lock while in motion (Samsung Note 4), horrible lag (HTC Sensation), bad light bleed at the bottom of the phone (HTC Amaze), creaking bezel and wobbly trackpad (BlackBerry 9700), etc. But everything works on my 6s+ as it did the day I got it.

Then the Note 7 caught my eye and I picked one of those up the week it launched. It was an AWESOME phone. It was like they ironed out all the kinks that I experienced on my Note 4. However, I noticed something interesting that I hadn't noticed when I initially switched to iPhone. The apps on Android aren't as robust as their iPhone counterparts. I noticed several featured missing in the apps I used daily that I had taken for granted. These features made the iOS app easier to use for me, and I don't really understand why they aren't included on the Android version. Well, we all knew what happened with the Note 7 lol, and back onto my 6s+ I went, and I did so with a new appreciation for the phone. I just placed an order for an iPhone 7+, as well.

Are there things that I wish iOS did differently? Sure. The biggest perk of Android is customization, and I definitely don't have much ability to do so on iOS. But, that's something I can live without to get everything else that the iPhone offers.

Edited to add: Another thing about the iPhone that I REALLY appreciate is timely OS updates. No more waiting for my carrier to pick through an update before sending it out to customers.
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 10-18-16 at 02:59 PM.
    10-18-16 02:18 PM
    Seems like u r against the present computing/ mobility model.
    What, in ur opinion is a better model ?
    I believe web apps are the direction we should be going in. Allows much more flexibility in end hardware and even security. Any OS on any device with a compliant browser can have access to any app. Consumers and developers win big with this.
    10-18-16 02:37 PM
    So what about the people that genuinely like the products put out by Apple or Google (or any other market dominant producer)?

It may not be your intent, but your statements come off as though such a population doesn't exist.
    I absolutely realize there is a significant population who has the exact options available that they feel are ideal. i don't feel they are the majority though. I feel the majority just want something they can afford and that works.
    10-18-16 02:39 PM
    Now high speed internet means we don't need apps but apps are too profitable to let go of.
    However, the mobile user interface is a lot more robust along with a lot of web-based back-end. Every time you make the browser do what the app does, the app will be doing something else interesting that the browser can't do. The apps you are talking about that can be done on a browser are mostly antiquated.
    10-18-16 02:41 PM
567 ... 56789 ...