I say Marketing not because nothing else is important, but more to state that for every $1 spent on good advertising can be worth more than even a $1 spent on development. You see its the 'perceived value' consumers have of a product that's important. Lets the consumer get past all the negatives (bend issues, screen issues etc).

If you took away Apple's advertising, no mater how good the product would be eventually it would drop off in sales. People need to feel they are getting more then they actually are, which includes the perception of community (apple in their case).

No marketing and PR is not just flashy ads. It's also building hype, product launches, focused advertising, etc. Building a brand is about structuring the 'vibe' in a way that will get people excited...Apple is the master at this. Not taking away from the importance of their products.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-16 03:07 PM
    So nothing happened in car development between Karl Benz and now.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6UBl...gJQk/giphy.gif
    The invention of the motor, then putting them in cars, that was innovation. Making them go faster, not so much.
    DaDaDogg likes this.
    10-17-16 03:32 PM
    low power processor would be innovation... it is very hard to keep power low for mobile application. give it try yourself by starving for 3 days and run Olympic race track... "it is look easy, it is not... if it look hard, it almost damn impossible.".. when you do it on your own...
    I didn't run, but did do 24 miles on a bike, fasted. Does that count?
    10-17-16 03:35 PM
    The invention of the motor, then putting them in cars, that was innovation. Making them go faster, not so much.
    https://www.wired.com/insights/2015/...-vs-invention/
    10-17-16 03:38 PM
    Right, there's no innovation between these two:

10-17-16 03:43 PM
    Blackberry had the opportunity.
    There were touch phones by htc at that time. Had only bb recognized the opportunity at the right time and packaged the touch screen with their worked up os, they wud be selling like hot cakes.
    BUT bb was drunk with success & took the customer for granted.
    I guess you forgot about the Storm and Storm 2
    Bbnivende likes this.
    10-17-16 03:45 PM
    I guess you forgot about the Storm and Storm 2
    A massive overhaul/scrapping and going with something new for BBOS would probably have had more of a benefit than lifting HTC's touch screens and putting the same Storm OS on them.
    Bbnivende and Ronindan like this.
    10-17-16 03:46 PM
    Apple also groomed kids from when they were young in schools and with ipods. They are coming to harvest on all those time they spent with kdis back then so teh newer gen are all used to Apple Products.
    10-17-16 03:50 PM
    Over the last 45 years the gasoline engine has seen very little innovation, that's why Dodge is still selling gas guzzlers HEMIs to this day.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-16 03:58 PM
    Over the last 45 years the gasoline engine has seen very little innovation, that's why Dodge is still selling gas guzzlers HEMIs to this day.

Posted via CB10
    The hemi is a terrible example to try ad make your point. The modern "Hemi" shares only the name with the 60s engine. Tons of innovative design in today's "HEMI".
    10-17-16 04:13 PM
    I'm amazed that some are claiming a lack of innovation in the smartphone market because the iPhone is still a VKB slab. The modern smartphone has, for most people, replaced all of their music players, books, telephone, PC, wristwatch, literally hundreds of uni-tasking control boxes, camera, video recorder, remote control, TV, cash register, and bank teller. Still, there are some that insist that all they need to do is make phone calls and answer emails and everything else is just games and where's the innovation.
    TGR1, donnation, cgk and 2 others like this.
    10-17-16 04:23 PM

Are you saying that changing the look of a car makes it innovative?
    10-17-16 04:40 PM
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps59f30cf5.gif

Are you saying that changing the look of a car makes it innovative?
    You know what's in a car, right?
    10-17-16 05:15 PM
    You have no idea what perceived value is about.
    Thanks Dad.

I am just a grasshopper.

Via z30

Posted via CB10
    10-17-16 05:25 PM
    Making them reliable and comfortable enough that the buyer would find value in them certainly is.
    Ronindan likes this.
    10-17-16 05:26 PM
    The apple brain wash.

Posted from my Z30 (10.3.2.2876) #ILoveBB10Apps #ILoveBB10
    10-17-16 05:41 PM
    You know what's in a car, right?
    Yes.
    10-17-16 05:43 PM
    My dad told me once, the big secret to being successful in business:

Make a product that people want. And sell it at a price that people are willing to pay.
    Great advice, basic business concepts 101.
    10-17-16 05:48 PM
    No one could could doubt the iphones success but I hear a lot of grumbling about the macbook pro and protools need attention.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-16 05:50 PM
    American brand

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-17-16 05:53 PM
    I seriously wonder which is more dangerous/an adrenaline rush O_o
    I'm game for a CB video blog on this question.
    10-17-16 05:59 PM
    No one could could doubt the iphones success but I hear a lot of grumbling about the macbook pro and protools need attention.
    People like me who have MacBook Pros are envious of those sweet little MacBook Airs that make our notebooks like clunky and heavy.

One of the nicest things about using an IPhone is that when you are done with it, there is always someone who is really happy to inherit it from you. As long as you have used a case and and haven't cracked the screen, it's like giving them a new smartphone that will do whatever they want to use it for. I may not play a lot of games but chance are, the 2nd or 3rd owner of the phone will.
    TGR1, JeepBB, MikeX74 and 1 others like this.
    10-17-16 06:05 PM
    Wrong word. That's called invention.

So what do you call all of these advances in safety, efficiency, comfort, reliability, speed, etc. in cars over the past 120 years?

I call them innovations. There are have been hundreds of important innovations in cars from many thousands of brilliant engineers. Many of them spent their entire lives innovating in that space.
    cgk, JeepBB and kirson like this.
    10-17-16 06:06 PM
    The hemi is a terrible example to try ad make your point. The modern "Hemi" shares only the name with the 60s engine. Tons of innovative design in today's "HEMI".
    That not the point,the gasoline engine can still only make a maximum of 50% efficiency under laboratory conditions and since the 70 very little has changed. In comparison processors have advanced incredibly. I still find the processor = engine / car analogy ridiculous either way you put it.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-16 06:23 PM
    Yes.
    This might be news to you, but a lot has changed in cars since 1885:

• Four wheels
    • Multiple cylinders
    • Fuel injection
    • Air bags
    • Seat belts
    • Windscreens
    • All-wheel drive
    • Lights (head, tail and turn)
    • etc.

At some point in the intervening 131 years someone had the bright idea to create an automobile with at least one entry in the above list for the first time; a hell of a lot more than just "making faster cars". Even if you think invention is synonymous with innovation (protip: it isn't), there is quite a bit in that Nissan GT-R that is not in the 1885 Benz wagon, having been created at some point in the 19th/20th/21st century.

And going back to your Intel 4004, the computer technologies of 2016 are not those of 1971, either being created anew (RISC, multi-threading: INVENTION) or being improvements of technologies from 1971 (extended bit-length, mobile, smaller process size: INNOVATION). The history of the thing is probably above you, but that does not diminish the inanity of assuming that everyone in the computer industry has been on a smoke break for the past 45 years.

As much as you don't like Apple, and as much as I don't like Apple, they've been putting serious work into CPU design and mobile storage, among other things. They may have not invented the ARM instruction set, or NVMe, or the touch screen, or other things, but both the pretty fine job they've done with improving them/bringing them to places formerly thought inaccessible, and the uncanny ability to force the other side to drop what they're doing and play catchup (BlackBerry Storm, Google Pixel, etc.) still shows Apple spurring innovation both inside and outside Cupertino. That your overly narrow definition of "innovation" would put a RIM 957 on the same pedestal as an iPhone 7 is naive at best and the usual vacuous partisan narrative-crafting that is endemic to the BlackBerry community at worst.
    10-17-16 06:54 PM
567 ... 23456 ...