Discuss.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 07:07 PM
    No need to discuss coz every one don't like to have an iPhone that have bb10 os installed to it.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 07:09 PM
    It's a legitimate question - and once you start thinking about it, the distinction isn't so clear. A few obvious requirements for enterprise phones would include Exchange Server and maybe Citrix server connectivity, and support for services like Salesforce.com. But don't iOS and Android already have those things?

So then what is BlackBerry going to have that is going to make its phones enterprise class where the others are not? Security? How? Physical keyboard?
    RyanGermann and Mecca EL like this.
    01-08-14 07:21 PM
    It's a legitimate question - and once you start thinking about it, the distinction isn't so clear. A few obvious requirements for enterprise phones would include Exchange Server and maybe Citrix server connectivity, and support for services like Salesforce.com. But don't iOS and Android already have those things?

So then what is BlackBerry going to have that is going to make its phones enterprise class where the others are not? Security? How? Physical keyboard?
    Think a lot of it has to fo with email capabilities. The Enterprise generally needs all the options and settings of a full email experience. IOS, historically, has fallen short of this.

Also, think about what else you need in the Enterprise: Communications; File Management; Document Editing; etc etc. Out of the box, the iPhone cannot edit files/documents, nor is there any sort of File Management system. iOS doesn't have much of a focus on communications either. It's almost hard to imagine going in and out of 3 different apps to check Text, Email and BBM, whereas it is all in one place on a BlackBerry 10 phone (even legacy, for that matter).

A business/enterprise will normally prosper when you can do more things in a shorter amount of time. This is BlackBerry 10's philosophy with Peek and Flow and the Keyboard. The Keyboard, solely, can show you which phone is more enterprise-ready. BlackBerry 10 has the most fluid and feature-centric keyboard, from almost perfect layout design of key sizes and space between rows; heat mapping; multiple languages; adaptive vocabulary; word suggestions on the keyboard (instead of above, and thus having to shift focus off the keyboard); swipe to the left to delete an entire word; swipe down to press a special character once and have the keyboard switch immediately back; both thumbs swiping down to pull keyboard away; full-stop on the front.

The iOS keyboard has NONE of that. It has nothing but aesthetic-value in mind.

BlackBerry 10 also has the option of a physical keyboard. For those of you in a professional field, you all know how UNprofessional it is to have your work riddled with spelling errors, albeit due to inaccurate typing (as I am sure you all know how to spell correctly).

Keyboard shortcuts are a sure-fire way of getting where you want as fast as you want. I don't want to fluff around looking through app grids.

What if I have sensitive data on my phone that would be valuable to competitors? I'd want a secure software that I can fully control (security-wise) from an outside source (BES, for example). Android's security, and even iOS for that matter, doesn't cut it for me.

Even BlackBerry Express is super valuable on the Enterprise side. Being able to make professional (and very elegant) presentations while in a taxi; car; ferry; plane; walking, is very very useful. Sure, I can pay to download an iOS version, and do it slowly, but it is not even close to being in the same league.

I can go on and on and on, but I hope that helps.

BlackBerry Bold 9900; Q10; Z10 [BBM#6]
    fanisk, laketrout73, m1kr0 and 2 others like this.
    01-08-14 07:53 PM
    Simple for me smaller numbers built equals higher prices per device unless your a major company that can buy in bulk.
    We'll probably be able to get one but they will be close to $800 per if were lucky.
    With little to no carrier support thw only option will be there site and looking at the z30 we may not see that either...

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 07:53 PM
    No need to discuss coz every one don't like to have an iPhone that have bb10 os installed to it.

Posted via CB10
    That was one of the most illegible and incoherent sentences that I have ever seen.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 08:02 PM
    Keyboard

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 08:17 PM
    This sounds like it'll be a good topic, interesting to see what everyone thinks.

CLICK HERE To Join My Music & Poetry Channel. Please&Thanks.
    01-08-14 08:20 PM
    Simple for me smaller numbers built equals higher prices per device unless your a major company that can buy in bulk.
    We'll probably be able to get one but they will be close to $800 per if were lucky.
    With little to no carrier support thw only option will be there site and looking at the z30 we may not see that either...

Posted via CB10
    I could be delirious, but I don't feel that this reflects the topic.

01-08-14 09:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    Well, the company I used to work with would try to get out 800 - 1,000 phones for as little as possible. We upgraded to all 9900s for $.99 a phone. I think the phone company just prefers the long contract on the monthly plans. But, Sprint will get screwed when the company goes bust in a few months.
    01-08-14 09:37 PM
    I'm not sure if the phones/OS themselves will be much different than current BlackBerry 10 devices as far as what they can do. I think what they are hinting at is getting out of the game of trying to battle for shelf space, marketing dollars, and support from carriers for average people like us and spending their time and money on approaching bulk unit sale transactions directly with corporations. If they are successful doing that then I think the pendulum will naturally swing back the other way. As much as I don't want this to be the case, recent rumors of carriers like T-Mobile dropping BlackBerry looks like it might be headed that way.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 09:46 PM
    I could be delirious, but I don't feel that this reflects the topic.

So glad u said that. Thought I had lost all comprehension.

BB Uniq BB Bold -Z10 with 1925
    01-08-14 09:49 PM
    I don't think the device itself or any particular feature of it is what defines it as a enterprise device these days. How the device is setup, deployed, managed and used, as well as the services available to it, would dictate whether it's an enterprise device or not.
    southlander likes this.
    01-08-14 10:14 PM
    Off the top of my head I'd say how it can be controlled and managed is key. BlackBerry Balance is fully integrated for example. So it's not really about the phone itself.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    01-08-14 10:20 PM
    The article below compares business and consumer PC. I think there are some similarities with smart phone.
    Business PCs vs. Consumer PCs - What's the difference? | Windows Phone Central

1. Technology. Enterprise: Classic, proven and cost effective. Consumer: Cutting edge
    2. Lifespan. Enterprise: Longer support. > 2 years. Consumer: Shorter support. 2 years or less.

I also added the below, specific to phones.
    3. Connectivity. Enterprise: Legacy and industry standards. Consumer: Emerging or proprietary standards.
    4. Battery: Enterprise: Longer than 24 hours. Removable. Consumer: Less than 24 hours. Non-removable.
    01-08-14 10:46 PM
    I agree that productivity and the ability to work on long from documents and emails are what matters for enterprise... let's call it "mobile computing" shall we?

So, what BB10 needs to better serve enterprise customers is everything on BB10 plus everything in BBOS PLUS (and BB10's inability to do this is baffling) support for multiple social network accounts... how can a business professional (especially a Marketing professional) be 100% productive on a device that doesn't let them manage multiple twitter or Facebook or linked in accounts from one device?

Put plainly, I believe the primary weakness in BlackBerry 10 devices is first and foremost in the OS itself, and the device form factors secondarily, where neither full slab touch of any size or power, nor Q10 style qwerty is adequate: BlackBerry 10 on a BB9900 from factor and also on a portrait slider, both with trackpad and hard buttons, with the aforementioned BB10-feature-parity-with-BBOS is what equates in my mind with "enterprise appeal".

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 01:11 AM
    Oh and support. Enterprise tech is usually supported for a longer period of time with slower replacement cycles.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1925
    RyanGermann likes this.
    01-09-14 01:13 AM
    Put plainly, I believe the primary weakness in BlackBerry 10 devices is first and foremost in the OS itself, and the device form factors secondarily, where neither full slab touch of any size or power, nor Q10 style qwerty is adequate: BlackBerry 10 on a BB9900 from factor and also on a portrait slider, both with trackpad and hard buttons, with the aforementioned BB10-feature-parity-with-BBOS is what equates in my mind with "enterprise appeal".

Posted via CB10
    The Q5, Q10 are half baked, its keyboard is purely cosmetic. Without the track pad and buttons, it is incomplete and enterprise productivity is reduced. Keyboard alone on BB10 devices don't make sense at all.
    01-09-14 02:56 AM
    An enterprises phone relies on the services provided by the enterprise: cloud, email, security etc.

A consumer phone has to come with services provided by the manufacturer, or the OS provider. Perhaps third party options too but generally they're not as attractive or secure as native services.
    01-09-14 04:17 AM
    So glad u said that. Thought I had lost all comprehension.

BB Uniq BB Bold -Z10 with 1925
    Read my post again i was responding to the question about what makes it a enterprise device as opposed to a consumer one...

Seems other posters had no problem understanding it XD.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 07:41 AM
    There's no clear line anymore. When things aren't going well companies often state they are going to refocus on just the _____________ market as a scape goat for the stagnant sales
    01-09-14 08:21 AM
    A device with a toxic consumer brand name like BlackBerry, that the company won't invest a dime in image rehab to, that consumers assume is still just a poor user experience like BBOS was.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 08:46 AM
    I'm not sure if the phones/OS themselves will be much different than current BlackBerry 10 devices as far as what they can do. I think what they are hinting at is getting out of the game of trying to battle for shelf space, marketing dollars, and support from carriers for average people like us and spending their time and money on approaching bulk unit sale transactions directly with corporations. If they are successful doing that then I think the pendulum will naturally swing back the other way. As much as I don't want this to be the case, recent rumors of carriers like T-Mobile dropping BlackBerry looks like it might be headed that way.

Posted via CB10
    I think this hits the nail on the head. 'Focusing on enterprise' does not mean building devices dedicated to that purpose, it means no longer expending ridiculous resources trying to build a platform to compete for consumer market share. But nor does it mean completely abandoning the consumer market. They are not going to focus on consumers, but they surely are not going to turn away whatever residual consumer business might come their way. I see myself being among those for the long term, as long as BBRY keeps making a decent device that doesn't need BES to use.
    ray689 likes this.
    01-09-14 08:50 AM
    An enterprises phone relies on the services provided by the enterprise: cloud, email, security etc.

A consumer phone has to come with services provided by the manufacturer, or the OS provider. Perhaps third party options too but generally they're not as attractive or secure as native services.
    This quote has captured the difference well. In the case of BlackBerry, consumers want social apps and the latest games and such which were not available on BlackBerry.

Using an iPhone as an example, I could see it still suitable for an enterprise, but for areas in which it excels. For example perhaps a PR person may be better suited to an iPhone if they need to follow all the latest social apps, which may not be on BlackBerry or slow to arrive on BlackBerry.
    01-09-14 09:28 AM
    This quote has captured the difference well. In the case of BlackBerry, consumers want social apps and the latest games and such which were not available on BlackBerry.

Using an iPhone as an example, I could see it still suitable for an enterprise, but for areas in which it excels. For example perhaps a PR person may be better suited to an iPhone if they need to follow all the latest social apps, which may not be on BlackBerry or slow to arrive on BlackBerry.
    Indeed. Enterprise use isn't just a guy in a suit that needs to send and respond to emails all day on the go anymore. Specific industry related apps may be more important to some than having a physical keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 09:45 AM