I think perhaps RIM caught a lot of flack because of the 8830 and 8330 locks, just like VZW did for it.
    11-16-08 03:46 PM
    So.....

Does this mean that you will actually have GPS with turn by turn, etc. for free??????? Can it really be????
    11-17-08 03:21 PM
    So.....

Does this mean that you will actually have GPS with turn by turn, etc. for free??????? Can it really be????
    if a 3rd party program offers turn by turn directions, then yes...
    11-17-08 03:39 PM
    OK to clear up all confusion, I m a lead tech support agent for vzw ne data support, and just finished up a training about the sweet sweet storm and to clear this forum up the GPS WILL BE UNLOCKED AND BE ABLE TO BE USED ON GOOGLE MAPS TELE NAV BB MAPS AND ALL GPS APPS FREE OF CHARGE
    T-Mobile and not VZW?
    11-17-08 03:43 PM
    Or you could all get wonderful sprint and have free navigation with your 30 dollar/mo unlimited BIS plan which includes unlimited text messages as well....but we dont have the storm, golly gee wiz.
    Sprint uses TeleNav (it's OEMed of course), when I switched over to them to try them out (with a Curve), my setting automatically appeared on the phone from when I had T-Mo.
    11-18-08 03:49 PM
    VZ NAv is awesome. I have been using it for over a year, goodbye mapquest. No looking down to read the directions just speaks you to the destination with 99.9% accuracy. I'm not sure why anyone would want anything different.
    VZNAV works great, I had it on my env. Although switching to the BB storm and having to have an additional $29.99 email/web plan makes me not want to shell out $9.99 a month for vznav.
    11-23-08 10:31 PM
    Eh... I'd rather have a dedicated GPS Device on my dash. I'll use my Storm's GPS and google maps when I'm not in my vehicle, or I'm just walking around the city with friends.
    11-23-08 10:43 PM
    VZNAV has up to the minute traffic updates and detour options that dash GPS do not have, also VZNAV gets constant over the air updates...Dash units do not
    11-23-08 10:45 PM
    People that sell cell phones get paid on features also. He was probably just saying that so you would add it.

I sell cell phones and I must admit I have done that before.
    11-23-08 11:00 PM
    Google maps does work with the GPS.
    11-23-08 11:07 PM
    We got a call from a GolfTraxx user who had just loaded up our 88xx version and wanted check it out. He was very specific that he had NOT subscribed to VZNav.

So here is what we did.

1 - Deleted VZ Nav from his STORM (settings, options, advanced options, delete application)
    2 - Shut down phone
    3 - Restart phone

He then brought up GolfTraxx and got Lat & Log, yards to his golf course's #1 hole, etc.

Google maps worked great, and we got an ulocked GPS signal. If anyone else has a Storm, try it out and let us know. Based on this experiment, I believe the GPS is in fact unlocked and VZN is just feeding the BS to users by the shovel load.
    11-23-08 11:12 PM
    youre a good man giving your wife the more faulty GPS unit
    11-23-08 11:36 PM
    I stated above that the GPS is unlocked.
    11-24-08 12:06 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD