I've been seeing some comments on BB10 missing a huge amount of amazing legacy features. I would like to know what they are because I'm on the verge of buying a BB10 device but first I need to know because I would get a 9810 or 9900 if the features are essential or really good.

Thanks.
    08-04-13 12:02 AM
    The main complaints seem to be
    BIS is no longer supported, your data is now direct internet access like every other smartphone (the frequent user demand before BB10 used to be "get rid of the NOC and BIS")
    Trackpad is gone (almost impossible to implement on Q10 without creating an unbalanced device, and pointless/impossible on Z10)
    Keyboard shortcuts are missing (impossible in a touchscreen so only valid for Q10)
    Poor battery life (seems to be improved by 50% - 100% in latest leaked OS versions)

In reality many improvements and new functionality have been sighted in the leaked updates of upcoming software releases, so the best advice I can offer is to go down to your local phone store, get your hands on both Z10 and Q10, see how they feel and whether you prefer all-touch or physical keyboard - both are pretty capable phones. The discussion thread about the latest leaked test software (OS10.2) in our Leaks and Beta forum should give you some idea what is coming soon for software upgrades.
    fbgh1113 and Just Me like this.
    08-04-13 04:20 AM
    The main complaints seem to be
    BIS is no longer supported, your data is now direct internet access like every other smartphone (the frequent user demand before BB10 used to be "get rid of the NOC and BIS")
    Trackpad is gone (almost impossible to implement on Q10 without creating an unbalanced device, and pointless/impossible on Z10)
    Keyboard shortcuts are missing (impossible in a touchscreen so only valid for Q10)
    Poor battery life (seems to be improved by 50% - 100% in latest leaked OS versions)

In reality many improvements and new functionality have been sighted in the leaked updates of upcoming software releases, so the best advice I can offer is to go down to your local phone store, get your hands on both Z10 and Q10, see how they feel and whether you prefer all-touch or physical keyboard - both are pretty capable phones. The discussion thread about the latest leaked test software (OS10.2) in our Leaks and Beta forum should give you some idea what is coming soon for software upgrades.
    That's it? I thought it was a huge list.

Thanks for replying . What's BIS though? I'm a noob at this lol.

I don't have a problem not having a trackpad.

And I read that the Z10 does have shortcuts, you go into search and then type that you would on the Q10 and it's the same thing. It's not true?
    stevepar likes this.
    08-04-13 01:25 PM
    BIS = "BlackBerry Internet Services"
    It was/is BlackBerry's own network. It allowed more secure push email & compressed data usage.

Posted via CB10
    iusebb likes this.
    08-04-13 02:15 PM
    The biggest things I'm missing:

1. True custom notifications - the ability to set number and duration of vibrations for different accounts. It's sort of back - you can now set number with (but not duration), or duration with Hub++ but not number. Also being able to set exceptions to a profile.
    2. BIS data compression. Huge cost difference while traveling.
    3. Speed of access to call button. It simply takes longer to make a call now.
    4. Copy/paste from anywhere. BB10 is limited. E.g., you have to go into edit mode in a contact profile to copy a number.
    5. I miss my trackpad multiple times a day, every day. I missed it on my PlayBook. I miss it on my Z10. Precise selection with small links is simply much more difficult without it.
    6. Many other little things like how easy it is to delete a lot of emails at once are missing (i.e., on a 9810 it was a double touch of first and last in the list and delete. On the Z10 you have to touch every message in the list at least once).
    7. Recognition of phone numbers from any webpage. I also don't want to hear the excuses from people that the page designer didn't tag it as a phone number. If it works on a 9810, an S3, an iPhone 3GS, and a Lumia, it should work on a Z10.

And, keyboard shortcuts should be very possible on a touchscreen when all you have to do is swipe up to bring up the keyboard from anywhere.

I carry a device like this because I need a novel thing called a "telephone". BB10 makes calling more difficult that BBOS made it.
    08-04-13 02:36 PM
    BIS = "BlackBerry Internet Services"
    It was/is BlackBerry's own network. It allowed more secure push email & compressed data usage.

Posted via CB10

Secure is definitely a must. So, it's not secure anymore? and I mean truly secure.

1. True custom notifications - the ability to set number and duration of vibrations for different accounts. It's sort of back - you can now set number with (but not duration), or duration with Hub++ but not number. Also being able to set exceptions to a profile.
    3. Speed of access to call button. It simply takes longer to make a call now.
    4. Copy/paste from anywhere. BB10 is limited. E.g., you have to go into edit mode in a contact profile to copy a number.
    5. I miss my trackpad multiple times a day, every day. I missed it on my PlayBook. I miss it on my Z10. Precise selection with small links is simply much more difficult without it.
    6. Many other little things like how easy it is to delete a lot of emails at once are missing (i.e., on a 9810 it was a double touch of first and last in the list and delete. On the Z10 you have to touch every message in the list at least once).
    7. Recognition of phone numbers from any webpage. I also don't want to hear the excuses from people that the page designer didn't tag it as a phone number. If it works on a 9810, an S3, an iPhone 3GS, and a Lumia, it should work on a Z10.

And, keyboard shortcuts should be very possible on a touchscreen when all you have to do is swipe up to bring up the keyboard from anywhere.

I carry a device like this because I need a novel thing called a "telephone". BB10 makes calling more difficult that BBOS made it.
    1. That's really nice. Should be back.

3. Exactly how long does it take to make a call? I used to have an iPhone and the process was simple enough IMO, hit Call or Contacts, then the person's name and the call was made.

4. That's dumb, it should definitely be changed.

6. That's silly. Should also be changed.

7. That's also silly.

All those things seem to be things that are easily fixed/changed. There is no excuse for Blackberry to not do it.

IMO those aren't reasons enough for me to not want to get a BB10 device, especially since they seem to be easily changed/fixed, and I'm sure Blackberry will do it because if not, it would be just pathetic and extremely stupid.

What is hugely important is truly secure, like how someone here replied and said BIS made your e-mails more secure. Especially now that things that have been happening for years now and we all truly knew were true but didn't want to admit, are finally out in the open like PRISM.

Also, what's NOC?

Thanks again to everyone that took the time to reply .

EDIT: Keyboard shortcuts and whatnot should also be included in touch screen only devices.
    08-04-13 05:49 PM
    Secure is definitely a must. So, it's not secure anymore? and I mean truly secure.
    That's actually a big misconception.
    BIS never was secure.
    Neither the Email part, nor the BBM part.
    It never was considered secure under BIS.

That always was BES (BlackBerry Enterprise server) as it is a business grade solution with security as its USP.

Posted via CB10
    yuvaraki likes this.
    08-04-13 06:02 PM

3. Exactly how long does it take to make a call? I used to have an iPhone and the process was simple enough IMO, hit Call or Contacts, then the person's name and the call was made.
    It takes about as long as it does on an iPhone, which is considerably longer than it did on a BBOS device. With an older BlackBerry you just had to start typing the phone number from the home screen/app grid. Or you could just start typing the contact name from the home screen. Or you could just hit the call button from any screen. Several ways to do it faster than owing what you're in, hitting the call icon, finding a contact that hitting call. The new quick actions help a little, but you still have to type "call" first, and if you're in an app, you still have to minimize it before starting the call "procedure".

BBOS devices were very efficient phones (when they worked). They truly saved a considerable amount of time.

Posted via CB10
    yuvaraki and distributor1 like this.
    08-04-13 06:04 PM
    It takes about as long as it does on an iPhone, which is considerably longer than it did on a BBOS device. With an older BlackBerry you just had to start typing the phone number from the home screen/app grid. Or you could just start typing the contact name from the home screen. Or you could just hit the call button from any screen. Several ways to do it faster than closing/minimizing what you're in, hitting the call icon, finding a contact then hitting call. The new quick actions help a little, but you still have to type "call" first, and if you're in an app, you still have to minimize it before starting the call "procedure".

BBOS devices were very efficient phones (when they worked). They truly saved a considerable amount of time.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 06:05 PM
    Sorry, edit turned into a new post.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 06:06 PM
    I've been seeing some comments on BB10 missing a huge amount of amazing legacy features. I would like to know what they are because I'm on the verge of buying a BB10 device but first I need to know because I would get a 9810 or 9900 if the features are essential or really good.

Thanks.
    Missing features under BB10, when coming from BBOS:

1) Spinning Clock of death
    2) Rebooting after app installs/updates/deletes
    3) Battery Pulls
    4) Truncated Emails
    5) A BIS outage
    6) An abysmal Browser experience

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 06:10 PM
    Custom themes are gone. Huge factor for many BBOS users (there is a whole section of BB World just dedicated to themes). This was the #1 reason I originally chose Blackberry.

A huge lack of customization options such as LED colour, custom notifications, custom button actions, etc.

Separate email inboxes and SMS. The hub seems to be great for some, but poor for others. Depends on your workflow I guess.

Contacts management is lacking.

Developer APIs for system integration are WAY behind BBOS. OS7 and earlier had amazing integration with the system and 3rd party apps. BB10 has tossed this out in favour of the sandboxed approach. Again, not an issue for everyone, but more customization options gone.

And this is just my short list. Lots of other folks are missing lots of other things too.
    h20work likes this.
    08-04-13 06:16 PM
    I miss the ability to see attachments in the calendar.

Posted from my ??????
    08-04-13 06:30 PM
    I miss the ability of backing up my device wirelessly.

Fix bb protect now!
    MetalxAssassinx likes this.
    08-04-13 06:53 PM

@ 6
    If you long press on the date bar, the trash can that shows up on the lower right corner is the delete prior button. You don't have to continously press it for it to work. If you tap and hold any blank, black area on that menu, the wording shows up explaining what each icon does

@ 1
    Since when was it possible to edit the LED colours whitout an app?
    You will get better custom notifications under OS 10.2 but it is correct that you can't edit every single detail.

@2
    At least I can use LTE now, I have a good browser, and I can stream media without the NOC interfering through lag, which makes buffering impossible.
    YouTube was pretty much useless on my 9810, and I couldn't even watch the HD content.
    I have no truncated Emails anymore and fearing a BIS outage is of no concern anymore as well.
    Having an "unlimited" data plan, makes BIS completely redundant when not travelling and my carrier having packages for cheaper roaming costs, makes it useless when travelling.
    Oh, and I don't have to pay 5 Euro a month for it anymore.

Under these circumstances, for my uses, BIS should never work together with my BB10 device.
    If BlackBerry would have required BIS on their new devices, I would have switched manufacturers instantly.

Posted via CB10
    mkelley65 and web99 like this.
    08-04-13 06:56 PM
    Things I miss from bb7 and below:
    Multi touch function for deleting multiple emails.
    Not have to swipe to unlock the phone to hang up a call (using speaker phone)
    Automatic resizing of pictures attached to emails
    Not losing all my contacts when one of my email accounts acts flakey
    Being able to save emails on the device
    The "today screen"
    Using the volume keys to zoom in and out with the camera
    Separate inboxes for email accounts
    Text reflow on the browser
    Dialing numbers directly from web pages
    Progress bar for uploading attachments and sending emails

Just a few off the top of my head.
    08-04-13 07:04 PM
    The only thing I miss from the legacy OS right now is GROUP TEXTING. Being able to mass text was crucial for me needing to reach a large amount of people in one shot. Nowhere on bb10 and I don't know if/when it's coming, either.

Posted via CB10
    yuvaraki likes this.
    08-04-13 07:09 PM
    @ 6
    If you long press on the date bar, the trash can that shows up on the lower right corner is the delete prior button. You don't have to continously press it for it to work. If you tap and hold any blank, black area on that menu, the wording shows up explaining what each icon does

@ 1
    You will get better custom notifications under OS 10.2 but it is correct that you can't edit every single detail.

@2
    At least I can use LTE now, I have a good browser, and I can stream media without the NOC interfering through lag, which makes buffering impossible.
    YouTube was pretty much useless on my 9810, and I couldn't even watch the HD content.
    I have no truncated Emails anymore and fearing a BIS outage is of no concern anymore as well.
    Having an "unlimited" data plan, makes BIS completely redundant when not travelling and my carrier having packages for cheaper roaming costs, makes it useless when travelling.
    Oh, and I don't have to pay 5 Euro a month for it anymore.

Under these circumstances, for my uses, BIS should never work together with my BB10 device.
    If BlackBerry would have required BIS on their new devices, I would have switched manufacturers instantly.

Posted via CB10
    #6 - I don't want to delete prior, I want to delete a block of emails in the middle of the day 10-20, not the ones before those.
    #1 - I'm confused. When did I say anything about LED colors? I said duration and pattern of vibrations.
    #2 - No more real unlimited plans anymore in the U.S. for anyone who travels outside their local region. Data costs money, and quite a bit of it.
    h20work likes this.
    08-04-13 08:58 PM

3) Battery Pulls
    4) Truncated Emails
    5) A BIS outage

Posted via CB10
    Hahaha no kidding. That really brings it in perspective for everyone stuck in the past. Not saying that the best features shouldn't still be around. Typing a contact name from the home screen was nice on the 99XX to start a call was nice. I haven't had any pocket dials with my Q10 though.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 10:18 PM
    I also have a bold 9900, so I understand the OP's concerns, as The BB07 OS felt more matured, but I think a lot of these issues will be cleaned up in the next couple BB10 OS updates.
    The track pad was whizzy, but after using the latest BB10 OS release, I feel that the text editing is better now than the old OS; even with the track pad's help.

Hang in there! 10.2 is just around the corner. It only gets better from there.
    08-05-13 12:41 AM
    "@ 1
    You will get better custom notifications under OS 10.2 but it is correct that you can't edit every single detail."

That's been native on OS7.1 for nearly a year, no app needed.
    ekv likes this.
    08-05-13 03:24 AM

3) Battery Pulls
    4) Truncated Emails
    5) A BIS outage

Posted via CB10
    Most of those have made it to BB10 too, let's be honest here.
    08-05-13 03:27 AM
    Of the 6 things I listed, none have made it to BB10.

I have to wonder where you did get that from...

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 05:18 AM
    "@ 1
    You will get better custom notifications under OS 10.2 but it is correct that you can't edit every single detail."

That's been native on OS7.1 for nearly a year, no app needed.
    I used 7.1 since the first leak.

Changing the default LED colours, without an App, was not possible.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 05:21 AM
    I thought I was missing so much coming from os7 to bb10, but i was wrong about that!
    I would never go back to my old phone now!

Bb10 is so stable too.

People that ain't brain washed own BlackBerry's
    08-05-13 05:33 AM
100 123 ...