I am hoping that I will be able to post this thread in the BlackBerry General Discussion Forum; as it does relate to BlackBerry and smartphones in general.

My brother is getting really tired of his current phone (a Nokia C3, which has some issues at the moment); so a new phone might be on the horizon for him. He hates the idea of a lot of apps; but I know he'd use at least some apps because he's in a band and would probably use a smartphone for music and downloading. He'd use the internet a lot, as well. He has really big fingers, so I'm assuming a QWERTY keyboard might not work well for him. He's kind of hard on his phones, too.

So I'm wondering what kind of phone to maybe suggest to him. So far, I'm thinking a Torch - a phone that has optional touch-screen. But honestly, I'm also thinking of Android, because of the full touch-screen. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd really appreciate it, as his birthday is coming up and so far I have no ideas!
    03-04-12 07:02 PM
    Why not take him out with you and just walk over to some phones and let him show you what he likes? He doesn't have to know its for him, just say you're interested and you want his opinion, what he thinks is best.

As for the Blackberry range, try out the Torch 9850/60. No NFC but otherwise every bit as capable as the 99XX series. Plus full sized screen and pretty unique as very few people have them.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-04-12 07:20 PM
    Why not take him out with you and just walk over to some phones and let him show you what he likes? He doesn't have to know its for him, just say you're interested and you want his opinion, what he thinks is best.

As for the Blackberry range, try out the Torch 9850/60. No NFC but otherwise every bit as capable as the 99XX series. Plus full sized screen and pretty unique as very few people have them.
    Wow, that looks like a gorgeous phone! It looks like it'd be perfect if he ever wanted to make playlists or download lots of music apps. Thank you!
    03-04-12 07:25 PM
    Yea its great right now, I have a few apps/games, but I also have 250 songs with tons of space left. Plus of course as a BB and unlike an iPhone I don't have to buy a new phone to expand memory to 64gb, just need a larger data card.
    03-04-12 08:00 PM
    Yea its great right now, I have a few apps/games, but I also have 250 songs with tons of space left. Plus of course as a BB and unlike an iPhone I don't have to buy a new phone to expand memory to 64gb, just need a larger data card.
    The larger data card thing is a good point! How durable is this phone?
    03-04-12 08:02 PM
    Only had mine a month, should check the 9850/60 section of the forums. I bought mine used, its about six months since it was first bought and I have dropped it twice, still have no case for it, but its proving pretty resilient for me. If you get this phone, I would suggest a nice screen protector.

Oh and with my uses, battery lasts two days. Do the updates though they have helped me get better performance from it.
    03-04-12 08:06 PM
    Only had mine a month, should check the 9850/60 section of the forums. I bought mine used, its about six months since it was first bought and I have dropped it twice, still have no case for it, but its proving pretty resilient for me. If you get this phone, I would suggest a nice screen protector.

Oh and with my uses, battery lasts two days. Do the updates though they have helped me get better performance from it.
    Thank you so much! It's such a gorgeous phone, and it seems to be the perfect choice for him if he were to choose a smartphone. A screen protector would also be a good idea.
    03-04-12 09:42 PM
    If he has big fingers I would think he would suit the full-size bold 9900 keyboard.

There is a video on Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com, the communities forum, in the videos part, a guy in a band talks about using the 9900. I think it's the last video.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-04-12 11:07 PM
    9850/60 are beautiful phones, underrated = exclusive
    9900 is the big finger BB dream. He'll be happy with either. Personally I would like more time on a 9850/60
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-04-12 11:13 PM
    If he has big fingers I would think he would suit the full-size bold 9900 keyboard.

There is a video on Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com, the communities forum, in the videos part, a guy in a band talks about using the 9900. I think it's the last video.
    9850/60 are beautiful phones, underrated = exclusive
    9900 is the big finger BB dream. He'll be happy with either. Personally I would like more time on a 9850/60
    Thank you both! I will check out the video and will keep looking up the 9850/60 and keep an eye out for the 9900.
    03-05-12 09:30 AM
    I've got the 9860 and it's a gorgeous device.

I am going to suggest that he also look at a couple of Android phones.

I know, this is heresy.

But really, for the purposes stated, I would suggest looking at the Galaxy family of phones. While my first love is BB, I cannot deny that the Skyrocket is a fantastic device. Just make sure that if you go with it you also buy a spare battery.
    03-05-12 09:38 AM
    I've got the 9860 and it's a gorgeous device.

I am going to suggest that he also look at a couple of Android phones.

I know, this is heresy.

But really, for the purposes stated, I would suggest looking at the Galaxy family of phones. While my first love is BB, I cannot deny that the Skyrocket is a fantastic device. Just make sure that if you go with it you also buy a spare battery.
    You make a valid point! I was originally contemplating between BlackBerry and Android; for the reason that it might be more media-focused for him and the Android might be easier for him to use without pressing ten different buttons. So far, the 9850/60 or an Android might be what I'd suggest... Now the only question is if he'd actually listen to me!
    03-05-12 09:43 AM
    Well, as an Android owner myself, I can usually recommend Samsungs Galaxy phones. Got a Galaxy S2 myself, and it's awesome...

However, for your brothers needs, an iPhone IS the way to go... Why? When it comes to music and music apps and accessories, iPhone clearly is superior and kicks everyone else's ****. There are sooo many cool music apps, and most of them are iPhone-exclusives. That, and all the music accessories (you can actually use your iPhone as a guitar pedal, preamp or synthesizer!) is the reason why you see so many DJs, etc. with iPhones.

(If he gets an iPhone 4S it also offers e highest amount of storage for ny phone. 64 gigs!)

You also mentioned that your brother is "hard on his phone", which is also a good reason to get an iPhone. Now don't get me wrong, I've had 3 or 4 Android handsets and love the OS and ecosystem, but it IS a fact that iPhones are usually better and more solidly put together than many Android handsets, and Apple has awesome customer service. With an Android phone broken, you'll usually have to go back and forth between the vendor and the carrier, call around and wait a couple of weeks.

With an iPhone you just take it to the closest Apple store, and many times they'll just outright give you a new phone if it has given you problems before, or if it's a major part like the motherboard or touchscreen that needs to be replaced.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-05-12 11:28 AM
    Well, as an Android owner myself, I can usually recommend Samsungs Galaxy phones. Got a Galaxy S2 myself, and it's awesome...

However, for your brothers needs, an iPhone IS the way to go... Why? When it comes to music and music apps and accessories, iPhone clearly is superior and kicks everyone else's ****. There are sooo many cool music apps, and most of them are iPhone-exclusives. That, and all the music accessories (you can actually use your iPhone as a guitar pedal, preamp or synthesizer!) is the reason why you see so many DJs, etc. with iPhones.

(If he gets an iPhone 4S it also offers e highest amount of storage for ny phone. 64 gigs!)

You also mentioned that your brother is "hard on his phone", which is also a good reason to get an iPhone. Now don't get me wrong, I've had 3 or 4 Android handsets and love the OS and ecosystem, but it IS a fact that iPhones are usually better and more solidly put together than many Android handsets, and Apple has awesome customer service. With an Android phone broken, you'll usually have to go back and forth between the vendor and the carrier, call around and wait a couple of weeks.

With an iPhone you just take it to the closest Apple store, and many times they'll just outright give you a new phone if it has given you problems before, or if it's a major part like the motherboard or touchscreen that needs to be replaced.

Thank you so much! I had no idea you could use an iPhone as a guitar amp, pedal, or synthesizer! That would make him so happy. If he ever wants to upgrade to a smartphone, I will have to show him the benefits of the 9850/60, Android, and iPhone... Hmm... This will be a challenge!! Lol. But thank you!
    03-05-12 12:01 PM
    Nokia Lumia 900?
    BB 9900?
    BB 9810?
    03-05-12 02:28 PM
    Nokia Lumia 900?
    BB 9900?
    BB 9810?
    There are so many options out there! So far, I have it narrowed down to three devices (one for now and one in the future if he ever wants to get a full-out smartphone); but I will look up Nokia Lumia 900 as I have not heard of it before. Thank you!
    03-05-12 02:39 PM
    Nokia Lumia 900?
    BB 9900?
    BB 9810?
    According to Rogers, that phone will be released in the spring (April, apparently); so I'd have to get him something else since his birthday is this month and he needs a new phone right away. But thank you! That phone does look cool!
    03-05-12 02:42 PM
    Thank you so much! I had no idea you could use an iPhone as a guitar amp, pedal, or synthesizer! That would make him so happy. If he ever wants to upgrade to a smartphone, I will have to show him the benefits of the 9850/60, Android, and iPhone... Hmm... This will be a challenge!! Lol. But thank you!

90% of the iPhones I see are in a protective case. iPhones don't have a reputation of being drop-proof or toss-able. I thought it was the opposite

If your brother is a real musician he has a real guitar amp, a real pedal, a real synthesizer. What, will he step on the phone to use it as a pedal
    03-05-12 06:50 PM
    90% of the iPhones I see are in a protective case. iPhones don't have a reputation of being drop-proof or toss-able. I thought it was the opposite

If your brother is a real musician he has a real guitar amp, a real pedal, a real synthesizer. What, will he step on the phone to use it as a pedal
    My brother is definitely a real musician! I'm going to start with an entry-level smartphone; and if he likes it, maybe then he can make a choice to upgrade to a smartphone like BlackBerry, Android, or iPhone. Either way, I am getting him a case!
    03-05-12 08:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD