Seriously, what John Chen is worth as a CEO if he couldn't even make a deal with major third-party app developers? For what John Chen is payed millions of dollars, for killing hardware division, seriously? IMHO, John Chen doesn't worth a dime.

IMHO, yet in 2013 Blackberry with Z30 could become a success if John Chen didn't kill marketing and availability to buy stock in stores devices like Z10 and Q10 was before him to come. Same with Passport and Classic. John Chen is responsible for what Blackberry is as device manufacturer today, not the market. John Chen didn't even try to offer BB10 devices for global market like Steve Jobs did with iPhone, or did he?
    03-16-16 08:18 AM
    Another thread about John Chen!!
    03-16-16 09:37 AM
    Another thread about John Chen!!
    Sure enough he's right about JC

Posted via CB10
    Slash82 likes this.
    03-16-16 09:38 AM
    Seriously, what John Chen is worth as a CEO if he couldn't even make a deal with major third-party app developers?
    You drive a Ferrari and a Bentley, right? No? You must be worthless if you couldn't even make a deal with the luxury car dealer to give you supercars for the price of a used Ford Focus, right?

The reality is that BB had nothing to offer that app developers were interested in. I'd like to have my own private jet, but I can't go to Lear or Gulfstream and try to "buy" a jet with my charming personality or my stylish wardrobe. The only "currency" they are interested in is CASH, and the only "currency" app developers are interested in is big userbases. That's why even Microsoft hasn't been able to buy an app ecosystem for WinPhone, despite having ten times the money.

The truth is that Chen was never hired to save the hardware business - it had already been written off before he was hired. Chen was hired to save the company by transitioning it away from being a smartphone manufacturer and into being a software developer. That's why the Board chose a software turn-around guy for the job. Chen has done exactly what he was hired to do.

If you are looking for a BB CEO to blame, that would be Mike Lazaridis.
    so crow, bakron1, fanisk and 6 others like this.
    03-16-16 10:30 AM
    You drive a Ferrari and a Bentley, right? No? You must be worthless if you couldn't even make a deal with the luxury car dealer to give you supercars for the price of a used Ford Focus, right?

The reality is that BB had nothing to offer that app developers were interested in. I'd like to have my own private jet, but I can't go to Lear or Gulfstream and try to "buy" a jet with my charming personality or my stylish wardrobe. The only "currency" they are interested in is CASH, and the only "currency" app developers are interested in is big userbases. That's why even Microsoft hasn't been able to buy an app ecosystem for WinPhone, despite having ten times the money.

The truth is that Chen was never hired to save the hardware business - it had already been written off before he was hired. Chen was hired to save the company by transitioning it away from being a smartphone manufacturer and into being a software developer. That's why the Board chose a software turn-around guy for the job. Chen has done exactly what he was hired to do.

Agreed.

Except I would shift some blame to Thorsten Heins as well. He had a lot of momentum during the build up to the release but he and his team really couldn't capitalize on it. Also I believe it was Thorsten's decision to not license BlackBerry 10 to other OEMs even when a deal was in place with one.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-16 10:47 AM
    Agreed.

Except I would shift some blame to Thorsten Heins as well. He had a lot of momentum during the build up to the release but he and his team really couldn't capitalize on it. Also I believe it was Thorsten's decision to not license BlackBerry 10 to other OEMs even when a deal was in place with one.
    You would be mistaken. Heins spent 18 months trying to find someone interested in licensing BB10. He met with many manufacturers, but ultimately, no one was interested.

Heins is responsible for approving some horrific ads, but beyond that, he was put in an impossible situation, and doesn't deserve the blame for that. The blame goes to Mike & Jim - mostly Mike.
    03-16-16 10:53 AM
    I blame Kevin M. The day he waited in line for the iPhone was the day Blackberry died
    03-16-16 11:17 AM
    Most executives get a golden parachute and are paid massive bonuses for poor performance while they slash jobs to raise the stock price and to increase profitability. Pretty much a monkey or a robot can do the same for a lot less.
    03-16-16 11:23 AM
    Agreed.

Posted via CB10
    ****, I forgot about Heins....I recall all his uplifting messages while the company was a sinking ship. At least Chen is more forthcoming and appears more honest about the state of affairs and his intentions for the company. Basically, he doesn't leave a lot of uncertainty.
    03-16-16 11:26 AM
    Pointing fingers of blame to anyone is time wasted. Stop making these threads of blame!
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    03-16-16 11:33 AM
    Pointing fingers of blame to anyone is time wasted. Stop making these threads of blame!
    Tell them Denise!!!!

If you think I said it, I didn't say it.
    03-16-16 12:02 PM
    I blame Kevin M. The day he waited in line for the iPhone was the day Blackberry died
    ^ That is completely correct !!! ^
    ( and he also cut his hair short )

It's all Kevin's Fault !!!
    03-16-16 03:12 PM
    You would be mistaken. Heins spent 18 months trying to find someone interested in licensing BB10. He met with many manufacturers, but ultimately, no one was interested.

Heins is responsible for approving some horrific ads, but beyond that, he was put in an impossible situation, and doesn't deserve the blame for that. The blame goes to Mike & Jim - mostly Mike.
    I also think the blame belongs to the company founders who all got rich while not listening to what the consumer was asking for, then the lack of vision and complacency set in and the rest is water over the bridge.

Mr Chen was hired to save the "company" and the hardware division is just a casualty along the road to being a profitable and viable company again which is what any shareholder is hoping for. That's just the way it works in the business world wether we choose to accept it or not.

Being in the automotive industry my entire life, I have seen this happen over and over and guess what! We are still here and we move on!!!
    JeepBB and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    03-16-16 03:21 PM
    I also think the blame belongs to the company founders who all got rich while not listening to what the consumer was asking for, then the lack of vision and complacency set in and the rest is water over the bridge.

Mr Chen was hired to save the "company" and the hardware division is just a casualty along the road to being a profitable and viable company again which is what any shareholder is hoping for. That's just the way it works in the business world wether we choose to accept it or not.

Being in the automotive industry my entire life, I have seen this happen over and over and guess what! We are still here and we move on!!!
    Key wording being We all Move On .......... Losing the signal Volume Two .
    03-17-16 06:43 AM
    The threads of blame are sewn with discontent?
    03-17-16 07:31 AM
    John Chen has been worth every penny to his employer, the CIA. Chen was put in place as a figurehead when the US Government bought BlackBerry in the summer of 2013.

Chen's job was to kill off BlackBerry, which was a security threat to the US. He's also been a mouthpiece for trying to get other companies like Apple to also be a sellout. Chen took BlackBerry from number one in security to being a government agency front.

BlackBerry is the least secure platform now.

Take a look at update 2876. It's a purposely designed virus. Why else would they release a bad OS and continue to push it on its servers? Incompetence or collaaboration?

Chen is a great agent. He is just pissed that he is made to look like an ***** while Tim Cook gets to be the hero.

Z5 - E6853 / Android 6.0 / T-Mobile USA
    03-17-16 07:35 AM
    What is 2876? I have 2836.
    What is wrong in release 2876 that you are aware of compared to the previous version?
    03-17-16 07:58 AM
    Many government officials approved BlackBerry devices and yet app developers called iOS and Android victorious. It should be iOS, Android, BlackBerry and Windows. They are 4 known platforms available to customers and which platform is the victorious is up to the customers. Things are eventually started to be obvious who is actually the bully in the playground.
    03-17-16 08:14 AM
    What is 2876? I have 2836.
    What is wrong in release 2876 that you are aware of compared to the previous version?
    2876 and 2836 are the same thing. 2876 is the OS number and 2836 is the software version number.

Both contain an ART that will eventually grind your phone down. First apps are unable to be upgraded. Then it affects memory availability. Then it eats your battery. It was released in December. There is a thread here dedicated to its analysis in which the whole problem is diagnosed and explained.

Best fix in my opinion is to wipe your device with autoloader 2813 and turn off auto updates. I certainly wouldn't trust any new updates because it's apparent that Chen wants to destroy BB10 sooner rather than later.

Did I tell you that in 2015 he pushed an update version OTA that caused me to have to replace the screen on my Z30? He killed off a lot of BlackBerry users with that one because it was far more obvious than the 2876 bug.

03-17-16 01:49 PM

I think that was well put

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-17-16 01:51 PM
    2876 and 2836 are the same thing. 2876 is the OS number and 2836 is the software version number.

Both contain an ART that will eventually grind your phone down. First apps are unable to be upgraded. Then it affects memory availability. Then it eats your battery. It was released in December. There is a thread here dedicated to its analysis in which the whole problem is diagnosed and explained.

Best fix in my opinion is to wipe your device with autoloader 2813 and turn off auto updates. I certainly wouldn't trust any new updates because it's apparent that Chen wants to destroy BB10 sooner rather than later.

Did I tell you that in 2015 he pushed an update version OTA that caused me to have to replace the screen on my Z30? He killed off a lot of BlackBerry users with that one because it was far more obvious than the 2876 bug.

I don't care about ART. I don't use android apps. You made it sound as if there was some intentional security hole inserted in 2876.
    03-22-16 01:24 AM