No Where in the video interview did John Chen say “If I cannot make money on handsets, I will not be in the handset business,”

He did say

JC “I told investors we need to make money in the handset business and this is what I am fixated in doing. I’m hoping that between now and sometime next year. — we will make money in the handset business”

Interviewer “And what happens if you don’t?”

JC “well if we really couldn’t find a way to make handsets profitable there will be ways to make handsets profitable then maybe we will just have somebody else build more and more handsets and I build less and less handsets, or maybe people will design more handsets for me – there’s got to be a way to make handsets
    because our operating system software technologies so strong, If I just license software technology I will be I would do well. So we will be in the handset business but it’s a matter of what level of integration.”

So if I hear one thing about blackberry leaving the handset business which means no more blackberry phones I am going to box them!!! LOL
    RJB55, Elite1, felixweber and 2 others like this.
    04-10-14 09:28 AM
    Cool, thanks for clarifying.
    04-10-14 10:23 AM
    I'm with you. Let's box them.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-14 10:31 AM
    No Where in the video interview did John Chen say “If I cannot make money on handsets, I will not be in the handset business,”
    The problem is that you assume that this video is Reuters' source for their quotes. Clearly, it isn't. Chen has been giving a lot of interviews, and most of them have not been on video.

Not sure if you've been around news reporters much, but they live off of their handheld audio recorders. I'm sure they have recordings that exactly match the quotes they put in their article, and if they didn't, you'd have Chen suing for libel. Instead, Chen did not refute the quotes themselves (which is a tacit admission that he indeed spoke those words), but rather that those quotes were taken out of context.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-10-14 10:34 AM
    The problem is that you assume that this video is Reuters' source for their quotes. Clearly, it isn't. Chen has been giving a lot of interviews, and most of them have not been on video.

Not sure if you've been around news reporters much, but they live off of their handheld audio recorders. I'm sure they have recordings that exactly match the quotes they put in their article, and if they didn't, you'd have Chen suing for libel. Instead, Chen did not refute the quotes themselves (which is a tacit admission that he indeed spoke those words), but rather that those quotes were taken out of context.
    He made a statement saying he was misquoted

Posted via CB10
    04-10-14 10:43 AM
    I agree as well. No more articles from competing Mobile Nations site authors. Somethings tells me that WP Central guy was all too happy to post that article.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-14 10:46 AM
    He made a statement saying he was misquoted

Posted via CB10
    No.
    He said his statement was taken out of context.
    As Troy suggests I guess he was speaking off camera and got drawn into this damaging quote. He isn't revealing the context so we may never know .
    04-10-14 10:50 AM
    BlackBerry is irrelevant.
    That's why analysts talk about them so much. That's why every analyst is talking about them daily, without end, making up facts or anything on the topic of that great grey void where in fact nothing but irrelevance exists. That's why their companies pay them so much to talk about BlackBerry and its irrelevant status. But they don't hold short positions on the stock because irrelevance obviously has tangible value or they wouldn't be wasting time and money on it.
    04-10-14 10:56 AM
    Chen has said many times that if they can't make money in handsets, they're out of that business. It's common sense. If sales goes under 1 million per quarter, It's impossible to make money with that volume. What big OEM would be interested in building phones for such a small user base, and invest in promoting those phones?
    The only new aspect was that the decision could be imminent. I don't know if that is accurate, but.. IF the z3 fails and the sales of the other devices falls sharply, BlackBerry can't burn millions of dollars just to make the fans happy.

In fact getting out of the handsets could be good for BlackBerry, the media wouldn't be interested in them anymore, no more "BlackBerry is dead" articles that hurt the adoption of their services, and BlackBerry could concentrate in the businesses that do have a future.
    04-10-14 11:15 AM