Yeah, I know you cant use the President of the United States in advertisements but nothing is stopping him from launching anything. Could you imagine the press worldwide that would result from Barack Obama appearing on stage with Thorsten? It would undoubtedly end up trending on Twitter worldwide and quite possibly could reach the frontpage on Reddit if they managed to pull it off spectacularly in a magical way

"Mr Thorsten, I present to you the President of the United States to officially launch BB10 around the world"

thekidshop likes this.
    01-06-13 04:18 AM
    "Mr Heins...
    01-06-13 04:40 AM
    Could you imagine the press worldwide that would result from Barack Obama appearing on stage with Thorsten?
    It would be bad press. You don't sell products by introducing them alongside politics.
    01-06-13 05:31 AM
    the Pres. carring a BB is press in it self, Rim needs to hit the media. when was the last time you saw a tv ad for BB.
    bb624, Spencerdl, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    01-06-13 05:37 AM
    Yeah, I know you cant use the President of the United States in advertisements but nothing is stopping him from launching anything
    Why can't the POTUS appear in advertisements? There's no law against it and he appeared in quite a few this past fall.
    01-06-13 05:47 AM
    i would lose all respect for potus if that happens. pretty sure i'm not the only one. i'm pretty confident he respects the office well enough to not even consider attempting something like that.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-06-13 06:51 AM
    I think it would speak volumes if the President was just seen using the x10 (he does seem to be an z10 kind of guy). RIM should give him one customized to his favorite color specially engraved.
    01-06-13 07:01 AM
    If he shows up and appears to back BB in any way in a commercial manner, the GOP and Tea Party will go insane tearing him apart. Additionally, they will associate the brand to Obama, and if anyone thinks the phone wars are intense, that's nothing in comparison to the negative press BB will get just by mere association.
    In other words, 53% will see nothing wrong or will be neutral, and the remaining 47% who is rabid anti Obama might deflect that hatred on the brand.
    Not a good proposition.

As far as adverts, I don't think I remember seeing purely commercial adverts from the POTUS.

Best that can happen are subtle product placement, like on the Time magazine article where the 9900 was sitting on his desk in the Oval Office next to a "Top Secret" folder.
    01-06-13 07:09 AM
    Everyone is going to read into it differently, however, we know the POTUS has had history using a BB device because of the keyboard and awesome security features. While I also agree it wouldn't be appropriate for him to directly endorse BlackBerry through advertisements, I think it would speak volumes by itself if he was just captured using one when he is out and about. Besides if it is secure enough for the POTUS then it must be good enough for me.
    01-06-13 07:47 AM
    If he shows up and appears to back BB in any way in a commercial manner, the GOP and Tea Party will go insane tearing him apart. Additionally, they will associate the brand to Obama, and if anyone thinks the phone wars are intense, that's nothing in comparison to the negative press BB will get just by mere association.
    In other words, 53% will see nothing wrong or will be neutral, and the remaining 47% who is rabid anti Obama might deflect that hatred on the brand.
    Not a good proposition.

As far as adverts, I don't think I remember seeing purely commercial adverts from the POTUS.

Best that can happen are subtle product placement, like on the Time magazine article where the 9900 was sitting on his desk in the Oval Office next to a "Top Secret" folder.
    Plus, it would kill his whole third term election campaign... j/k.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    01-06-13 08:54 AM
    Not a good proposition.

This.

And aslo that post should have been the end of this thread.
    01-06-13 09:16 AM
    Plus, it would kill his whole third term election campaign... j/k.
    hehehehehe.....that dangnabbitted Roosevelt third adminstration.....
    01-06-13 09:16 AM
    Worst idea ever, RIM should stay away from politics. Providing them with secure phones should be as far as they should go.
    jegs2 and BB12MX like this.
    01-06-13 09:19 AM
    you don't want to throw away 47%(Romney voters) of the potential buyers in the US....
    jegs2, mcmolineux and Tim-ANC like this.
    01-06-13 09:22 AM
    Not a good proposition.

i know its a silly arguement, and i agree with your main points (and bla1ze`s point of never mix with politics) but your % are well off. BB is a GLOBAL brand, the % you gave are US only.
    01-06-13 09:31 AM
    i know its a silly arguement, and i agree with your main points (and bla1ze`s point of never mix with politics) but your % are well off. BB is a GLOBAL brand, the % you gave are US only.
    yes, but on its comeback attempt in the US, RIM cannot afford to turn off 47% of the US....
    jegs2 likes this.
    01-06-13 09:39 AM
    I was specifically speaking of the U.S. as Obama is the POTUS and the person named. The GOP and the Tea Party are clearly U.S.. parties therefore I was specifically addressing U.S. political consequences of an Obama endorsement. Had Cameron been mentioned I would have addressed UK political consequences.

I do not attempt to address geopolitical trends; that conversation would, by its very nature, take a breadth that would not lend itself to discussion in this forum.
    jegs2 likes this.
    01-06-13 09:41 AM
    There are two things you never discuss in good company: religion and politics. Similarly, either one is a slippery slope to use in advertising.
    FRG_RC, jegs2, jakie55 and 2 others like this.
    01-06-13 09:42 AM
    There are two things you never discuss in good company: religion and politics. Similarly, either one is a slippery slope to use in advertising.
    Ma? DA?!!? IS THAT YOU?!?!?!!?!?
    01-06-13 09:46 AM
    Maybe if the President decided to give away BB phones to all those new welfare recipients he's created in the past 4 years, then it would be hit. Just like in Detroit, when they lined up for "Obama Bucks". It's not like he cares about disrespecting the office, since he went on ESPN to give his March Madness picks. Maybe he can do an executive order declaring that every American should be required to buy a BB10 phone, regardless if they already have a phone or not.
    jegs2 and mrrsquared79 like this.
    01-06-13 09:47 AM
    I'd probably run out and buy an iPhone.
    01-06-13 09:53 AM
    I'd probably run out and buy an iPhone.
    YOU?!?

-the world would end baby!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    Toodeurep and jakie55 like this.
    01-06-13 09:57 AM
    Maybe if the President decided to give away BB phones to all those new welfare recipients he's created in the past 4 years, then it would be hit. Just like in Detroit, when they lined up for "Obama Bucks". It's not like he cares about disrespecting the office, since he went on ESPN to give his March Madness picks. Maybe he can do an executive order declaring that every American should be required to buy a BB10 phone, regardless if they already have a phone or not.
    nothing like it to get Republicans going than by mentioning Obama, now you know why it was a bad idea
    randall2580 and rotorwrench like this.
    01-06-13 10:27 AM
    When crap like this start showing up then its time to go. I am not an American and even I can tell that you are a watcher Fox News....still..nah its best to leave you in your ignorant bliss...next!!
    Blacklatino and TITOMAN357 like this.
    01-06-13 10:30 AM
    You want a device do succeed because it has innovative and demanding technology and specifications which meet or surpass competitors.

If you need a president to hold a device to get it to sell then there are major problems with it and the brand.

Hopefully this isn't the case, I think blackberry can sell its self.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-06-13 10:40 AM
80 123 ...