What if BlackBerry allowed QNX to be installed on Android phones? Would QNX gain additional popularity within Android geeks?

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 11:23 PM
    that's not gonna happen..

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 11:24 PM
    Uhhhhhhh - do you even know what QNX is?

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 11:26 PM
    I think you might not know what QNX is.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 11:27 PM
    Uhhhhhhh - do you even know what QNX is?

Posted via CB10
    Of course I do - QNX is a Unix-like closed source real-time OS.

My question was: What if it was possible to install QNX insted of Android OS, on any widely available (cheap) Android phone, from a "leak" or something? Emphasizing "WHAT IF".

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 11:32 PM
    I think you might not know what QNX is.

Posted via CB10
    I'm pretty much sure I do. I'm sure you misunderstood my question. Please read the explanation above.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 11:34 PM
    Anyone can go download QNX source code from the QNX website and install it on anything they like (and can get it to run on, with the correct drivers, etc.). But if you were hoping to run your phone on it, I think you'd be pretty bored.

QNX probably makes up 5% of BB10 - it's the foundation that BB10 is built on, yes, but much like a house, a foundation itself isn't something you want to live in (or, uh, on). A "house" with no roof, no walls, no wiring, no plumbing, no furniture, etc. isn't going to help you much, and QNX, if you got it running on a phone, would give you a nice command line. Hopefully you included some kind of USB or BlueTooth drivers, so that you could use a hardware keyboard to type. Then you could start coding an actual smartphone OS. I'd be interested to know how that goes.

As for BB10, I'm not sure if there are any hardware dependencies that BB10 has that would prevent it from running on Android phones, but even still, all of the driver issues would be a huge issue, as I suspect that there aren't even QNX drivers for most common hardware - BB would have to write and test all that from scratch. Plus, they'd have to make a separate build for each brand, model, and sub-model of phone that they wanted to run BB10 on. Even if the limited it to, say, the Galaxy S4, they'd need to support about 6 different hardware configurations.

All of that work would require development hours that would have to be taken away from BB10 updates for BB hardware, because BB certainly isn't going to hire more developers for this purpose.

Even if they decided to invest that time and money into this project, how would BB benefit? Would they sell (license) the OS to Android users? How many people would pay to put BB10 on their Android phones, and would enough of them have the right Android phone?

I just don't see how there is a business model in any of this.
    rthonpm, techvisor, JeepBB and 9 others like this.
    04-09-14 11:44 PM
    Anyone can go download QNX source code from the QNX website and install it on anything they like (and can get it to run on, with the correct drivers, etc.). But if you were hoping to run your phone on it, I think you'd be pretty bored.

QNX probably makes up 5% of BB10 - it's the foundation that BB10 is built on, yes, but much like a house, a foundation itself isn't something you want to live in (or, uh, on). A "house" with no roof, no walls, no wiring, no plumbing, no furniture, etc. isn't going to help you much, and QNX, if you got it running on a phone, would give you a nice command line. Hopefully you included some kind of USB or BlueTooth drivers, so that you could use a hardware keyboard to type. Then you could start coding an actual smartphone OS. I'd be interested to know how that goes.

As for BB10, I'm not sure if there are any hardware dependencies that BB10 has that would prevent it from running on Android phones, but even still, all of the driver issues would be a huge issue, as I suspect that there aren't even QNX drivers for most common hardware - BB would have to write and test all that from scratch. Plus, they'd have to make a separate build for each brand, model, and sub-model of phone that they wanted to run BB10 on. Even if the limited it to, say, the Galaxy S4, they'd need to support about 6 different hardware configurations.

All of that work would require development hours that would have to be taken away from BB10 updates for BB hardware, because BB certainly isn't going to hire more developers for this purpose.

Even if they decided to invest that time and money into this project, how would BB benefit? Would they sell (license) the OS to Android users? How many people would pay to put BB10 on their Android phones, and would enough of them have the right Android phone?

I just don't see how there is a business model in any of this.
    How that pans out on a different platform, see here

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Devices

As you said, Troy, the biggest problem is drivers, for radio, wifi, gyro, etc.

Ubuntu works well on the Nexus 4 (development phone), but a lot of other phones are at a dead end because of driver issues.

Check the list, heaps of phones only partially working. That is Ubuntu Linux, which is open source, good luck and have fun anyone try that with closed source QNX...

"No Q10?" -> "Buy from Chen... "
    04-10-14 12:24 AM
    What about dual boot?

Posted via CB10
    04-10-14 12:26 AM
    F. gooooogle.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-14 12:32 AM
    What about dual boot?

Posted via CB10
    You still need drivers. In physical terms, all QNX does is give you a spinal cord, you still need arms, legs, eyes, etc to be able to do anything at all. Drivers give you all of those functions.

You may want to review just what exactly an embedded system does: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embedded_software

Posted via CB10
    stlabrat likes this.
    04-10-14 05:02 AM
    Evil devs will just crack it and that's not good for BlackBerry.

---if BlackBerry license the os for other phones.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-14 06:09 AM

My question was: What if it was possible to install QNX insted of Android OS, on any widely available (cheap) Android phone, from a "leak" or something? Emphasizing "WHAT IF".

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I didn't think you knew what it was.

Posted via CB10
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    04-10-14 06:50 AM
    QNX has no native UI. It is a micro kernel. BB10 is an OS/UI running on top of the Neutrino QNX kernel. Loading QNX on a phone won't do anything without a lot of other code to actually make it into a phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-14 09:27 AM
    Guys, looks like you completely missed my point. I was trying to ask what it would be like if the same operating system and experience you are having on you new BlackBerry phone is available on any other phone, never mind if it's named BB10 or QNX, or anything else.
    Please check out this article:
    http://n4bb.com/blackberry-10-evolve...ed-qnx-mobile/

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 06:27 AM
    As others have said, QNX is a OS kernel, BB10 is an OS built upon it. IMO, there would be no advantage to a user in rebuilding Android on top on QNX, much as there would be no advantage in rebuilding Windows Phone on QNX (as was suggested in a previous thread).

It would undoubtedly be a significant level of work for little or no gain as the user experience would be the same.

As an exercise for the interested reader, it has merit. As a practical idea that would bring benefit, it doesn't.

As to the other idea, of somehow running BB10 in parallel with Android... Who on earth do you think would buy such a two-headed monstrosity?
    propeller10 and richardat like this.
    04-13-14 09:35 AM
    Guys, looks like you completely missed my point. I was trying to ask what it would be like if the same operating system and experience you are having on you new BlackBerry phone is available on any other phone, never mind if it's named BB10 or QNX, or anything else.
    Please check out this article:
    http://n4bb.com/blackberry-10-evolve...ed-qnx-mobile/

Posted via CB10
    The point was missed because that was completely not what you stated. QNX is not what you see with BB10. It is doing things in the background handling the security, radios etc. BB10 is the UI elements running over top of QNX. I don't see how BlackBerry would make any money licensing out BB10 for free. They get no service revenue from it, they are having to pay intellectual property use on the backend, and it is simply not in high demand right now. Only way I could see this work if a big Player like Amazon get involved and replaced their Android Fork with BB10, but again why do that when you have all this time and development sunk into Android? Same goes for any other OEM. They are a couple years too late for that boat.

Their only chance now IMHO is to make BB10 successful on their own. The issue with that is based on everyone's comments here about why they can't advertise, or make a simple TV box, or a smart watch, or a fitness band, or whatever other new type of device, is they don't have the money or it isn't the right time. BlackBerry is cowering back to business users and regulated markets, a both of which that BlackBerry has admitted are becoming consumerized or users want to use consumer devices in.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-14 09:55 AM
    I think OP did research on QNX after posting this thread. Plus QNX is closed-source last time I checked. Google would never agree to it since Android was designed to be open.
    04-13-14 12:05 PM

Posted via CB10
    What type of OS? What is its use? Do you really know what QNX is or you just know it's Unix like and closed source?